Star Wars: The Mandalorian (official Series Discussion Thread) Update (Season 3 drops Feb 2023)

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
134100498_2081608058642909_4451469600296630730_n.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

How a Lucasfilm Exec’s Tweet Reopened the Wounds of ‘The Last Jedi’
Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo apologized for tweeting "emotions are not to be shared" in a thread about a Star Wars fan's emotional reaction to "The Mandalorian." But the damage had been done.
By Adam B. Vary

Courtesy Lucasfilm; Star Wars Theory
[Warning: The following story contains SPOILERS for the season finale of “The Mandalorian.”]
On Dec. 17, a popular Star Wars YouTuber joined roughly 30,000 fans as he livestreamed his reaction to the Season 2 finale of “The Mandalorian.” The YouTuber — who most often goes by the name of his account, Star Wars Theory, and has also been referred to as Toos in some press reports — watched mostly in concentrated silence during the first 30 minutes of the episode. But when a telltale X-Wing Fighter cruised into view, he jumped up in his seat as a childlike grin washed over his face.
“Don’t give me hope, bro,” he said to no one in particular. Roughly a minute later, when he saw a cloaked, hooded figure wielding a green lightsaber appear, Toos burst into tears, certain of what the episode later confirmed: It was Luke Skywalker.

Related Stories
VIP
‘The Mandalorian’: A Hit So Big Even Netflix Can Respect It (Subscriber Extra Edition)

Mark Hamill Responds to Praise From ‘The Mandalorian’ Actor Ming-Na Wen: ‘I’m Literally Speechless’

For the next 15 minutes, Toos wept as the episode unfolded. When it was over, he seemed slightly embarrassed, but mostly in dumbstruck awe at the deep feelings the episode had evoked in him. “Thank you, Lucasfilm,” he said, still wiping back tears. “This was what the little six-year-old in me wanted to see.”
Ten days later, Toos had a different sentiment entirely for Lucasfilm, exposing once again the delicate and precarious relationship between the studio and its most vocal fans — and at a moment when it seemed like Lucasfilm and Disney had put the worst of Star Wars fan unrest behind them.
Toos posted to Twitter that he’d noticed that Pablo Hidalgo, a top executive in Lucasfilm’s story department, was commenting on a thread that was ridiculing Toos’ emotional reaction to Luke’s appearance on “The Mandalorian.” Because Hidalgo’s account was private, however, Toos couldn’t see what the exec was saying.
“I’d hate to believe he would join in [the teasing] as a Lucasfilm official,” Toos tweeted to his 101,000 followers, asking anyone with access to Hidalgo’s account to send him a screenshot of his tweets.
That’s when he learned what Hidalgo tweeted: “emotions are not for sharing.” Toos was outraged, interpreting Hidalgo’s remarks as indeed piling on the mockery of his genuine emotions. By that point, Hidalgo had deleted the tweet, but, rather inexplicably, he also put a screenshot of it as the banner over his account; Toos took it as more trolling. “You’re telling people it’s not ok to have emotions about the work your company produces, and you make fun of them for crying?” he tweeted. “Not ok.”

Roughly 20 hours later, the executive apologized. “I wish to clarify that my post that ’emotions are not to be shared’ was sarcastic self-mockery and was certainly not intended to be hurtful to anyone and I’m deeply sorry that it was,” Hidalgo posted to his Twitter account, which he made public. (Since Hidalgo’s account is unverified, Variety has confirmed the authenticity of his tweets.) “As a lifelong fan, I appreciate fans expressing how they feel – it’s what being a fan is about!”

Hidalgo did not address placing the offending tweet as the banner over his account, but a source close to him says he did so briefly not out of malice, but after people began asking his private followers for screenshots of the deleted tweet. The damage, meanwhile, had been done. By the time Hidalgo apologized, Toos’ YouTube reaction video about Hidalgo’s tweet — in which Toos discusses how much Luke Skywalker had helped him when he battled cancer — had already amassed half a million views and was trending on Twitter. Toos’ reaction had itself inspired its own backlash, with several posters suggesting his outrage was a willful misreading of Hidalgo’s intentions — a good way to generate more traffic to his channel and revenue into his pockets. And once more, Star Wars fans were fighting, with Lucasfilm and with each other. (Toos did not respond to multiple requests for comment; a spokesperson for Lucasfilm declined to comment.)

All of this comes just weeks after Disney announced the most aggressive expansion of the Star Wars franchise in its history, with 10 new Disney Plus series along with “The Mandalorian” in various stages of development, in addition to feature films from directors Patty Jenkins and Taika Waititi. The news was meant to capitalize on the near-universal goodwill engendered by “The Mandalorian,” which has single-handedly helped to soothe the profoundly fraught and virulent fan reactions to the most recent Star Wars feature films, especially “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”
To discuss “The Last Jedi” in any context, let alone the fandom reaction to it, is to risk flying into an asteroid field from which the odds of successfully escaping are 3,720 to 1. In the context of Star Wars Theory and Lucasfilm, however, it’s worth knowing that with over 2.7 million subscribers to his channel, Toos is one of the most visible and popular figures in what is essentially the professional class of Star Wars fandom, who have monetized their love for Star Wars into full-blown careers. He’s also among the Star Wars fans who have been vocally critical of “The Last Jedi,” especially how writer-director Rian Johnson chose to reimagine Luke Skywalker as an embittered recluse who’s renounced the ways of the Jedi.
That criticism is but one star in a tangled constellation of turbulent fan discourse over “The Last Jedi”; one of the most lasting effects of all of it has been to erode the confidence a large sector of fandom has in Disney’s stewardship of the Star Wars franchise. By the time “The Rise of Skywalker” debuted last year to a (relatively) tepid box office and terrible reviews, Disney’s entire Star Wars endeavor had been so freighted by controversy that it was beginning to feel like a Millennium Falcon robbed of its hyperdrive.
For many fans — including Toos — “The Mandalorian” had appeared to be the spark that finally got Star Wars back into fighting shape. Executive producer Dave Filoni was mentored by George Lucas himself. Executive producer and showrunner Jon Favreau cut his franchise-building teeth at Marvel Studios, and had an uncanny instinct for weaving fan-service arcana into a story accessible to the widest possible audience. By resurrecting Luke Skywalker in the season finale — with Mark Hamill’s involvement, no less — Favreau and Filoni had managed to rehabilitate not only that particular hero’s journey for unhappy fans, but the very idea that Lucasfilm knows what they’re doing with Star Wars.
But then Hidalgo’s tweet — and Toos’ reaction to it — reopened all those wounds. Toos even referenced his displeasure for “The Last Jedi” in his reaction video to Hidalgo’s tweet, strongly implying that it was a form of sour grapes. Hidalgo’s apology, meanwhile, points to common sense and Toos’ own incredulous initial response: Why on earth would anyone at Lucasfilm mock a fan for crying over a deliberately meaningful scene on a Star Wars show? And yet, here we are again, blasters raised and lightsabers unsheathed, all over a poorly worded private tweet.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Gina Carano Speaks Out After Pablo Hidalgo Controversy
IN STAR WARS
Posted on December 31, 2020 by Katrina Allen57 Comments

Left Picture Credit: Disney - Right Picture Credit: Star Wars Theory

Recently, there was some controversy in the Star Wars community over some comments made by Lucasfilm’s Pablo Hidalgo towards a fan on Twitter. Gina Carano — who has dealt with her fair share of controversy regarding her own social media posts — spoke about the situation surrounding comments made by Hidalgo, and her response was shared on Twitter.
Credit: LucasFilm
For context, Pablo Hidalgo who is a creative executive at Lucasfilm,Tweeted (and then deleted) a post in which he called out a popular Star Wars fan and YouTuber, Star Wars Theory. Hidalgo responded as a reaction to the emotions the fan expressed during a live watch-party of The Mandalorian Season 2 finale.

Though he has since changed his name on Twitter, his profile picture, and made his account private, before he did so, Hidalgo had made the controversial Tweet the banner of his Twitter profile, sparking more outrage from fans. Fans began calling for Hidalgo to issue an apology and for changes to be made at Lucasfilm.

The particular scene that got Star Wars Theory host choked up was the return of Luke Skywalker in the finale episode of The Mandalorian Season 2, a scene that tugged at the heartstrings of what seems to be a majority of the show’s fans.

Gina Carano presented her thoughts on the return of Luke Skywalker and the emotions felt on set by the cast. She also shared how she knows fans could feel those powerful emotions through their screens, indicating that everyone should be allowed to feel however they want about Skywalker’s return.

Carano said that the magic of that moment (Luke Skywalker returning) was something that came from their (the cast’s) hearts and that “if you felt that, you felt the right thing.”

Despite Gina Carano’s controversies over her own Twitter page, she ranks as one of the biggest stars in the world right now.
Fellow Mandalorian cast members have spoken out in support of Gina Carano as her Twitter posts have divided fans with hashtags such as #FireGinaCarano and, on the flip side, #WeLoveCaraDune. Disney and Lucasfilm have not made any public statements regarding Gina Carano. However, Lucasfilm did reach out to Star Wars Theory to apologize for Pablo Hidalgo, according to statements made by Star Wars Theory via YouTube.
You can watch the full livestream during which Gina Carano discusses the Pablo Hidalgo situation below. Carano appears around the 34-minute mark:

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
It's time for Carano to get spaced. Her acting is terrible and she's gotten big and fat and just waddles around scowling. The fact that she's a trumpie and qanon and all that other whacked-out shit just draws a line under it.

Sackoff is a much better choice to carry the warrior/sexy chic role. The wrestler chick is nice eye candy also. Carano isn't needed.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
It's time for Carano to get spaced. Her acting is terrible and she's gotten big and fat and just waddles around scowling. The fact that she's a trumpie and qanon and all that other whacked-out shit just draws a line under it.

Sackoff is a much better choice to carry the warrior/sexy chic role. The wrestler chick is nice eye candy also. Carano isn't needed.
Come on now, you think all the rich white money backing Disney and the Mandalorian aren't republicans? They have benefited the most from the Trump presidency.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
I just watched the episode again. Before they got on the ship no katan told lando she wanted him to get the dark saber because moff Gideon has it and only his beskar armor has a chance of defeating him.
makes sense to me. like a woman, she don't know what she want

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Gina Carano Talks Luke Skywalker ‘Mandalorian’ Shock and Not Focusing on Twitter Outrage

"It felt magical. There was electricity happening in the room," Carano said about filming "The Mandalorian" Season 2 finale.
Zack Sharf
Jan 9, 2021 12:00 pm
@zsharf
Gina Carano in “The Mandalorian”
Disney
Gina Carano was one of the lucky “Mandalorian” actors to be in the room when Luke Skywalker showed up in the internet-breaking final moments of the “Star Wars” series’ Season 2 finale. In an interview this month on the Drunk 3PO YouTube page, Carano opened up about being on set for Skywalker’s long-awaited return to the “Star Wars” franchise, saying, “It felt magical. There was, like, electricity happening in the room. There’s a specialness about it. Everybody in the room feels it.”
Carano revealed she had no idea Mark Hamill would be turning up to “The Mandalorian” set as Luke’s appearance was not included in the Season 2 finale script. It wasn’t until the day of filming that rumors started swirling around Hamill’s involvement with “The Mandalorian” Season 2.
“I started finding out about it in the makeup trailer, basically because you’re like, ‘Oh wait, who’s that?'” Carano said. “And because they didn’t say it in the script…And then you know, everyone that has worked on ‘The Mandalorian’ is like an insane ‘Star Wars’ fan. And they have the shirts and they’re like, ‘Wait a second.’ And so, everybody starts doing a little whispering.”

Top Articles‘Barry’ Season 3 and Season 4 Are Already Written andWaiting to FilmREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MORE

SKIP AD

RELATED

“The Mandalorian” is “the most secretive thing that I’ve ever been a part of,” Carano continued, referring to the lengths the show went to protect not only the Luke Skywalker cameo but all of the season’s secrets. “It’s to the point where like you have to wear cloaks in between studios. Like, big black cloaks so you know somebody from the top of the roof doesn’t take pictures…And you only get the scripts that you’re in. And they’ve got a name printed out all over it so, if anything ever gets out…”
At the beginning of the interview, Carano briefly touched upon her approach to Twitter and how she doesn’t pay attention to social media users who are bothered by her online presence. Throughout the airing of “The Mandalorian” Season 2, many “Star Wars” fans took to social media to urge Disney to fire Carano from the show because of controversial tweets about mask-wearing and hypothetical voter fraud. Carano was also previously accused of mocking trans pronouns on social media.
While Carano didn’t address the #FireGinaCarano movement directly, she said this about her relationship to social media: “I’m going to stick around and if my presence bothers you, OK, but also a lot of people are not bothered by my Twitter presence or my social media presence. So I focus more on those people. I bring the fire out in people. I’m not sure why.”
Whether or not Carano returns to “The Mandalorian” for its third season has yet to be confirmed. There are also rumors Carano and her character will be central to “The Mandalorian” spinoff series “Rangers of the New Republic.

knightmelodic

BGOL Investor

It's like she's begging to be fired.

I say grant her wish.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's like she's begging to be fired.

I say grant her wish.

She is acting like she is untouchable

And just keeps teasing these people

I do not think thats the right coursr ot action

Then again she white supports trump and still winning...

Maybe she know something we don't

But if and when she gets the axe

She BETTER NOT SHED A SINGLE SOLITARY TEAR

Cause noe she got literally thousands praying on her downfall

She got no one to blame but herself

knightmelodic

BGOL Investor
She is acting like she is untouchable

And just keeps teasing these people

I do not think thats the right coursr ot action

Then again she white supports trump and still winning...

Maybe she know something we don't

But if and when she gets the axe

She BETTER NOT SHED A SINGLE SOLITARY TEAR

Cause noe she got literally thousands praying on her downfall

She got no one to blame but herself

Yeah, I have no idea what her problem or motivation is and I could care less. She needs to go for other reasons besides her white supremacy shit. Her arc was really done after the early season two spot. The later spots weren't really necessary. They could have done the raid shit with Timothy Olyphant's character (btw a very good and very underrated actor who put more nuance and depth into his character in one episode than Carano did in all her appearances).

She's definitely playing with fire tho. The Mouse can shut you the fuck down. Ask Brie Larson. She was supposed to be the tentpole for stage 5 but her mouth got her most likely written out. I'm pretty sure if they get Emily Blunt as Sue Richards Larsen is toast. Supposedly Dr. Doom will be introduced in BP2 and we all know the FF is his main enemy but you know Marvel, they're secretive as fuck. We might see the FF make a cameo in Ant-Man 3.
At first, I was opposed to Blunt but I've come around. She's definitely got the acting chops and her body isn't horrible. Her husband as Reed idk because I'm not familiar with his work.

Anyway, I got off the subject but I think Favreau and Filoni are paying attention because according to Dawson it was the fans that got her character in the show.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah, I have no idea what her problem or motivation is and I could care less. She needs to go for other reasons besides her white supremacy shit. Her arc was really done after the early season two spot. The later spots weren't really necessary.

They could have done the raid shit with Timothy Olyphant's character (btw a very good and very underrated actor who put more nuance and depth into his character in one episode than Carano did in all her appearances).

She's definitely playing with fire tho. The Mouse can shut you the fuck down. Ask Brie Larson. She was supposed to be the tentpole for stage 5 but her mouth got her most likely written out. I'm pretty sure if they get Emily Blunt as Sue Richards Larsen is toast. Supposedly Dr. Doom will be introduced in BP2 and we all know the FF is his main enemy but you know Marvel, they're secretive as fuck. We might see the FF make a cameo in Ant-Man 3.
At first, I was opposed to Blunt but I've come around. She's definitely got the acting chops and her body isn't horrible. Her husband as Reed idk because I'm not familiar with his work.

Anyway, I got off the subject but I think Favreau and Filoni are paying attention because according to Dawson it was the fans that got her character in the show.

^^^^^^

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
They could have done the raid shit with Timothy Olyphant's character (btw a very good and very underrated actor who put more nuance and depth into his character in one episode than Carano did in all her appearances).
Nah. Had to be all female. :rolleyes2:Did they explain Bo Katan's 3rd member?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah, I have no idea what her problem or motivation is and I could care less. She needs to go for other reasons besides her white supremacy shit. Her arc was really done after the early season two spot. The later spots weren't really necessary. They could have done the raid shit with Timothy Olyphant's character (btw a very good and very underrated actor who put more nuance and depth into his character in one episode than Carano did in all her appearances).

I see your point....

she served her purpose

but they needed her till the finale because the significance of that all female attack squad

that is gonna be a MOMENT for years to come.

But going FORWARD?

I wouldn't MISS her.

the challenge is they made her the DIRECT connect to the past present and future of the rebels/republic a s former respected solider.