Star Trek: Discovery Season 5 will be the final season - April 2024 debut

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
i guess that they were supposed to still use this rubber suit for the lizard dude...

1828340.jpg

star-trek-discovery-season-2-premiere-easter-eggs.jpg

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
how many looks did just worf get???

early-worf.jpeg

220px-WorfTNG.jpg

tumblr_pl0ki2dTGC1v8pbqv_540.jpg

99ff0fa2b5431170bf7eca0ce26412ab.jpg

i can keep going with andorians, romulans, vulcans, etc.....

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
this makes sense. its from the abrams star trek. and something similar would have happened had they had the technology for TOS.

46d61c15a6ce5aa71c51daf7bc32578d.jpg

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
As I said before, Enterprise provided an example of how to modernize the look while still keeping true to canon. They didn't have cheap colored buttons like TOS, but they maintained the fact that you still had to push a button to do certain things. They didn't replace those things with touch screens. Instead of pressing a button, you're sliding your finger across a screen. That's not a cosmetic improvement, it's a complete, total change.

The CGI mirror universe gorn was fine (as was the Tholian) and a perfect modernization because it still tried to maintain the tradition. They could've made it red, blue, etc. But they didn't because it (the gorn) being green is still important.

The change in the Klingons' appearance in the motion picture was kind of like the huge flaw in the death star. It was such a head scratcher that it actually became a joke. After that the changes in all races were gradual and still maintained the overall theme.

Pike's Enterprise doesn't look like the JJ Abrams Enterprise, but it doesn't look like Kirk's Enterprise either. There's no reason they needed to change the exterior other than cost. DS9 and Enterprise would have been damn near shut down if they had shown a different looking constitution class ship.

Bottom line, if they were to redo TNG today, I wouldn't mind them giving Geordi a nicer looking visor. I would mind if his visor had flashing RGB LEDs all over it because that's not true to what he had.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
As I said before, Enterprise provided an example of how to modernize the look while still keeping true to canon. They didn't have cheap colored buttons like TOS, but they maintained the fact that you still had to push a button to do certain things. They didn't replace those things with touch screens. Instead of pressing a button, you're sliding your finger across a screen. That's not a cosmetic improvement, it's a complete, total change.

The CGI mirror universe gorn was fine (as was the Tholian) and a perfect modernization because it still tried to maintain the tradition. They could've made it red, blue, etc. But they didn't because it (the gorn) being green is still important.

The change in the Klingons' appearance in the motion picture was kind of like the huge flaw in the death star. It was such a head scratcher that it actually became a joke. After that the changes in all races were gradual and still maintained the overall theme.

Pike's Enterprise doesn't look like the JJ Abrams Enterprise, but it doesn't look like Kirk's Enterprise either. There's no reason they needed to change the exterior other than cost. DS9 and Enterprise would have been damn near shut down if they had shown a different looking constitution class ship.

Bottom line, if they were to redo TNG today, I wouldn't mind them giving Geordi a nicer looking visor. I would mind if his visor had flashing RGB LEDs all over it because that's not true to what he had.

i am looking at it from a different point of view. in 2019 we have "communicators" that don't have buttons already. they are touchscreen. we use them all day everyday and they have no moving parts. we also have machines and vehicles that use touchscreens and holograms. do you think that in 200 years from now that we will go back to using knobs and buttons. star trek is supposed to be our future. in order to make it more relevant and realistic they had to update the look AND functionality of the devices. along with that comes updates of everything else.

a modern cellphone makes a TOS communicator or tricorder look like a toy. it is not practical or imo advisable to keep the look retro. it needs to be updated.

i hate to bring star wars into this discussion. for the record i like both. they serve different purposes.

george lucas was right about a couple of things and he did a couple of things right. he took his baby and updated the special effects to what he initially envisioned. yeah, he went overboard but i understand it. looking at the original cut of ANH is painful after the improvements. in his own words he said the technology at the time limited what he wanted to accomplish.

you have the purists that want that original cut/look. i am not one of those people and i appreciate the effort going into improving things.

at least TOS got remastered to HD. so did TNG. apparently DS9 will never get remastered.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
i am looking at it from a different point of view. in 2019 we have "communicators" that don't have buttons already. they are touchscreen. we use them all day everyday and they have no moving parts. we also have machines and vehicles that use touchscreens and holograms. do you think that in 200 years from now that we will go back to using knobs and buttons. star trek is supposed to be our future. in order to make it more relevant and realistic they had to update the look AND functionality of the devices. along with that comes updates of everything else.

a modern cellphone makes a TOS communicator or tricorder look like a toy. it is not practical or imo advisable to keep the look retro. it needs to be updated.

i hate to bring star wars into this discussion. for the record i like both. they serve different purposes.

george lucas was right about a couple of things and he did a couple of things right. he took his baby and updated the special effects to what he initially envisioned. yeah, he went overboard but i understand it. looking at the original cut of ANH is painful after the improvements. in his own words he said the technology at the time limited what he wanted to accomplish.

you have the purists that want that original cut/look. i am not one of those people and i appreciate the effort going into improving things.

at least TOS got remastered to HD. so did TNG. apparently DS9 will never get remastered.

Here's the thing, Star Trek is not our future, therefore it does not have to follow where we currently are technologically. If it did they would have to erase the Eugenics wars and pretty soon they'll have to erase WW3 too.

My problems with Discovery are more than just touchscreens.

First thing was the Klingon ship of the dead. Klingons don't care about the bodies of the dead so they wouldn't be flying around in a ship full of them.

The Klingons had cloaking technology. This goes directly against the Balance of Terror episode from TOS. Everyone on Kirk's bridge was clueless about cloaking technology despite the fact that 10 years earlier, they had all fought in a war that they nearly lost with a species that had that technology.

Apparently in less than 10 years the Klingons were able to unite all of the houses, become a USSR type adversary to the federation, form an alliance with the Romulan empire that was so strong that they shared ship designs, and meddle with less advanced cultures in an attempt to turn them into puppet worlds. That's alot.

They used hologram tech that Chief O'Brien didn't figure out until the 24th century.

They went to the mirror universe. Pike also knew about the mirror universe. This conflicts with the Mirror, Mirror episode because Kirk's crew, including Spock were clueless about it. Even though Starfleet classified it, they then told Pike and apparently his red shirt and blue shirt crew men too. Pike's new mission did not require him to know anything about Discovery's captain except that he wasn't there. He did not have a need to know. As the season goes on, I can almost guarantee that Spock is going to find out about Lorca. When he does, they'll be no excuse for him not knowing it less than 10 years later.

How many fans of the show can honestly name the helmsman, communications officer, the sista with braids, and the android science officer without googling it? Canon Star Trek doesn't have forgettable reoccurring characters. The fact that 25ish years later, i can still remember the name of the Bolian barber from TNG (Mot) but can't remember the names of four bridge officers for Discovery doesn't help me like the show.

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor
Here's the thing, Star Trek is not our future, therefore it does not have to follow where we currently are technologically. If it did they would have to erase the Eugenics wars and pretty soon they'll have to erase WW3 too.

First thing was the Klingon ship of the dead. Klingons don't care about the bodies of the dead so they wouldn't be flying around in a ship full of them.

The Klingons had cloaking technology. This goes directly against the Balance of Terror episode from TOS. Everyone on Kirk's bridge was clueless about cloaking technology despite the fact that 10 years earlier, they had all fought in a war that they nearly lost with a species that had that technology.

Apparently in less than 10 years the Klingons were able to unite all of the houses, become a USSR type adversary to the federation, form an alliance with the Romulan empire that was so strong that they shared ship designs, and meddle with less advanced cultures in an attempt to turn them into puppet worlds. That's alot.

They used hologram tech that Chief O'Brien didn't figure out until the 24th century.

They went to the mirror universe. Pike also knew about the mirror universe. This conflicts with the Mirror, Mirror episode because Kirk's crew, including Spock were clueless about it. Even though Starfleet classified it, they then told Pike and apparently his red shirt and blue shirt crew men too. Pike's new mission did not require him to know anything about Discovery's captain except that he wasn't there. He did not have a need to know. As the season goes on, I can almost guarantee that Spock is going to find out about Lorca. When he does, they'll be no excuse for him not knowing it less than 10 years later.

How many fans of the show can honestly name the helmsman, communications officer, the sista with braids, and the android science officer without googling it? Canon Star Trek doesn't have forgettable reoccurring characters. The fact that 25ish years later, i can still remember the name of the Bolian barber from TNG (Mot) but can't remember the names of four bridge officers for Discovery doesn't help me like the show.

Tabernacle. Church. Gurdwara. Shrine. Synagogue. Imambargah. Mosque. Temple. Pagoda. Monastery.

godmc

International
International Member
This doesn't feel like Star trek. It has all the names from star trek but the feel is off. Oh and Tilly needs to die. Annoying as fuck CAC.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Here's the thing, Star Trek is not our future, therefore it does not have to follow where we currently are technologically.

you just have to read roddenberry's own words to understand that this was our future as he envisioned it in the 1960's. he clearly states as such.

THRNov151966.jpg

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member

i guess we have to figure out if discovery is actually in the prime timeline or the kelvin timeline or another timeline. apparently there is some debate there.

"in Star Trek time travel stories, things never get reset exactly the way they were before. Meaning, Star Trek has been fundamentally altering its own “Prime Universe” in every single incarnation for as long as it’s existed."

https://www.inverse.com/article/38478-star-trek-discovery-theory-prime-universe-mirror-kelvin-canon

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
i guess we have to figure out if discovery is actually in the prime timeline or the kelvin timeline or another timeline. apparently there is some debate there. with all of that said it is canon regardless. we have to see how they choose to iron out the "wrinkles" that irk you.

"in Star Trek time travel stories, things never get reset exactly the way they were before. Meaning, Star Trek has been fundamentally altering its own “Prime Universe” in every single incarnation for as long as it’s existed."

https://www.inverse.com/article/38478-star-trek-discovery-theory-prime-universe-mirror-kelvin-canon

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
you just have to read roddenberry's own words to understand that this was our future as he envisioned it in the 1960's. he clearly states as such.

THRNov151966.jpg

I completely agree that Star Trek is the future as viewed from the 1960s. However as I said, since we never had a Khan in the 1990s, our timeline can't possibly be the same as canon star trek's timeline.

i guess we have to figure out if discovery is actually in the prime timeline or the kelvin timeline or another timeline. apparently there is some debate there.

This was covered in the TNG episode Parallels, where it was said that everything that can happen, does happen in an alternate reality. The folks behind Discovery have insisted that it's apart of the prime timeline. I always viewed time travel in Star Trek as (mostly) part of a Predestination Paradox.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Predestination_paradox

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
This doesn't feel like Star trek. It has all the names from star trek but the feel is off. Oh and Tilly needs to die. Annoying as fuck CAC.
none of it does.. not since next generation

but i think this new star trek is about as close as they can get

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Talk - 'Star Trek' Commander and Spock Rumors 'Not true' Says Sonequa Martin-Green

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Goddamn... I watched some of this show last year and then dropped off somewhere early. Picked it back up recently and have just watched the first episode of Season 2. Incredible. As a long time fan of Trek I was ready for bitter disappointment but this shit delivers big time.

Maybe it's because I binged so much of the first season recently but this first episode was cinematic af and it's all felt more Trek than the recent film. :yes:

Love the darker edge... one of my fav elements of DS9, still retains the wonder and optimism.

godmc

International
International Member
none of it does.. not since next generation

but i think this new star trek is about as close as they can get

Maybe it's a camera technology thing but Star Trek felt like trek up till Voyager at least for me. This one feels so flashy and over the top in a way that doesn't feel "believable" if that makes any sense. The officer that died in the pod sequence through the asteroid field...that attitude in Starfleet at that level didn't feel "believable".

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
Maybe it's a camera technology thing but Star Trek felt like trek up till Voyager at least for me. This one feels so flashy and over the top in a way that doesn't feel "believable" if that makes any sense. The officer that died in the pod sequence through the asteroid field...that attitude in Starfleet at that level didn't feel "believable".
that's fair

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Star Trek: Discovery Reveals Early Version Of Geordi's Next Generation VISOR

Star Trek: Discovery's season 2 premiere dropped a Star Trek: The Next Generation Easter egg: an early version of the VISOR made famous by being worn by Geordi La Forge (LeVar Burton).

The VISOR, an acronym for Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement, is an iconic piece of Star Trek: The Next Generation tech. The VISOR is a medical device used to aid patients who were born blind or suffered the loss of eyesight. It allows the wearer to "see" by detecting electromagnetic signals across the entire EM spectrum. The wearer receives a very different type of visual acuity when compared to normal eyesight; the VISOR lets the wearer see in infrared and ultraviolet ranges. The VISOR can also detect heart rate and body temperature as well as determine if a person is lying by tracking their perspiration. In addition, when Geordi was kidnapped by Lursa and B'etor in Star Trek Generations, the Klingon sisters were able to tap into the VISOR with a video feed and see through it, which allowed them to see the codes to the Enterprise-D's defense shields.

ADVERTISING
Related: Star Trek: Discovery Makes Fun Of A Decades-Old Enterprise Problem

In "Brother," Star Trek: Discovery's season 2 premiere, a VISOR is worn by the Discovery's unnamed transporter operator when Acting Captain Saru (Doug Jones) and Commander Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) arrived in the Transporter Room to welcome Captain Christopher Pike (Anson Mount). However, unlike the single-piece VISOR Commander La Forge wore on the Enterprise-D, the VISOR worn by the transporter operator included a headpiece that wraps around his head. It's not clear if the headpiece is a necessary component of the early-era VISOR or a cybernetic attachment needed by that particular Starfleet Officer (other crew members like Discovery's helmsman Keyla Detmer also wear cybernetic implants). Still, there's no mistaking the unique eyewear as a precursor to Geordi's famed VISOR.

ADVERTISING
GEORDI LA FORGE WORE A VISOR UNTIL STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT

Geordi La Forge's VISOR is an iconic calling card of that beloved Next Gencharacter. Geordi was born blind and received his first VISOR after his fifth birthday. Geordi would wear his VISOR all throughout the seven seasons of The Next Generation and in their first feature film, Star Trek Generations. Before he was promoted to Chief Engineer in season 2, Geordi was the original pilot of the U.S.S. Enterprise-D; Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry intended it to be poetic that the starship was piloted by a blind man.

Perhaps it was the incident with the Klingon sisters managing to take control of the VISOR that prompted Geordi to finally undergo surgery to remove the VISOR and switch to ocular implants, which he would wear in the next three films, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek Insurrection, and Star Trek: Nemesis. Geordi was also wearing ocular implants in the future era Q (John de Lancie) showed Captain Jean Luc-Picard in the TNG series finale "All Good Things".

ADVERTISING
Star Trek: Discovery season 2 is set 107 years before the start of Star Trek: The Next Generation in 2364 and many fans have taken the CBS All-Access series to task for breaking Trek canon and displaying technology that shouldn't be readily available in the 23rd century like the spore displacement hub drive. However, despite being first seen in TNG when it was worn by Geordi La Forge, the VISOR appearing in 2257 doesn't pose any real problems. There's no established history in the TV series or movies of when the VISOR was invented; therefore it's now canon that the VISOR existed during the 23rd century and was worn by at least one Starfleet Officer on Star Trek: Discovery.

Genesiswiz

not the little wizard
BGOL Investor

This analysis is deeeeeeeepppppp. Man, I thought i was a nerd, I aint shit compared to these cats.