Sports Media: ESPN Discussion - Get Up First Take PTI Update: MASSIVE LAYOFFS 2003!! NEW ESPN brand sports betting app!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@HNIC
@fonzerrillii

I CANNOT believe if you go thru this 13 page thread?

We were damn close!

word is?

Around the campus they ALL just call it Get Up
the "greenberg show" :lol:

did we NOT predict that?

Trey is BACK on NFL Live...

I think fonz predicted that

Jalen and Beadle are on rotation...

HNIC predicted that sh*t exactly

and funny enough?

the show is better for it.

Now it is EXACTLY what I THOUGHT it was SUPPOSED TO BE from jump...

Greeny show, Good Morning America Sports

Greenberg grand attempt to be the NEXT Bob Costas.

well played sir well played.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I STILL Mike & Mike...

happy they been able to sty consistent and Golic sounds happy to be working with his son every day...

so EVERYTHING worked out.

Beadle got PAID damn near life changing money to do LESS work and be EXACTLY where she wanted to be in the first DAMN place

Jalen got married, a BIG check more exposure and concentrated on his OWN show (which he smartly NEVER abandoned probably LEARNING from Mike and Jemele)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If thieving ass Gottlieb wasn't sitting in for 'Herd, those numbers probably would've been a little higher for that show.

first off...

Happy New Year Uncle Chuck!!!

your the best thank you for all your support humor and insights!

OK that white man makes my skin crawl can;t hear his voice and EVERY SINGLE F*CKING TIME he attempts to criticize a college athlete or a pro for ANYTHING related to the smallest infraction?

I want to throw a chair in his general direction.

The f*cking hypocrisy and that now TWO separate "sports news" corporations SUPPORT that bullsh*t is galling and a CONSTANT white privilege slap in the face of EVERY sports personality in the business.

Last edited:

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
If thieving ass Gottlieb wasn't sitting in for 'Herd, those numbers probably would've been a little higher for that show.
I didn't watch a single episode once I saw his face, I hate his persona. Why is he a thief?

HNIC

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
@HNIC
@fonzerrillii

I CANNOT believe if you go thru this 13 page thread?

We were damn close!

word is?
Around the campus they ALL just cakll Get Up the "greenberg show" :lol:

did we NOT predict that?

Trey is BACK on NFL Live...

I think fonz predicted that

Jalen and Beadle are on rotation...

HNIC predicted that sh*t exactly

and funny enough?

the show is better for it.

Now it is EXACTLY what I THOUGHT it was SUPPOSED TO BE from jump...

Greeny show, Good Morning America Sports

Greenberg grand attempt to be the NEXT Bob Costas.

well played sir well played.
I watch a lot of Getup these days, but I'll be glad when we get less Jwill. I can't get with that tight mouth dude.

HNIC

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
I didn't watch a single episode once I saw his face, I hate his persona. Why is he a thief?

HNIC
He stole some credit cards in college, and got busted.

Gottlieb Charged in Credit Card Theft
Jurisprudence: Former Tustin High and Notre Dame basketball player faces up to three years in prison and $10,000 fine if convicted.
September 13, 1996|CHRIS FOSTER | TIMES STAFF WRITER

Doug Gottlieb, a former Notre Dame and Tustin High School basketball player, has been charged with felony theft for allegedly using stolen credit cards to purchase nearly $1,000 of merchandise, St. Joseph County (Ind.) prosecutor Mike Barnes said.

Gottlieb will surrender voluntarily Monday in Indiana and make a court appearance Tuesday, according to Barnes. Barnes said no warrant has been issued at this time and bail was set at $5,000 bond or $500 cash. Gottlieb faces a possible three-year prison term and a fine of up to $10,000 if convicted.

"We reviewed the evidence and filed what we believe is the appropriate charge," Barnes said. "There could be a wide range of penalties. It can be treated as a misdemeanor at sentencing if it's deemed appropriate at that time."

Bob Gottlieb, Doug's father, said the incident stemmed from pressure Gottlieb was experiencing at school. Gottlieb will attend counseling sessions, Bob said. :rolleyes:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Jurisprudence: Former Tustin High and Notre Dame basketball player faces up to three years in prison and $10,000 fine if convicted.

Doug Gottlieb, a former Notre Dame and Tustin High School basketball player, has been charged with felony theft for allegedly using stolen credit cards to purchase nearly $1,000 of merchandise, St. Joseph County (Ind.) prosecutor Mike Barnes said.

Gottlieb will surrender voluntarily Monday in Indiana and make a court appearance Tuesday, according to Barnes. Barnes said no warrant has been issued at this time and bail was set at $5,000 bond or $500 cash. Gottlieb faces a possible three-year prison term and a fine of up to $10,000 if convicted.

"We reviewed the evidence and filed what we believe is the appropriate charge," Barnes said. "There could be a wide range of penalties. It can be treated as a misdemeanor at sentencing if it's deemed appropriate at that time."

Bob Gottlieb, Doug's father, said the incident stemmed from pressure Gottlieb was experiencing at school. Gottlieb will attend counseling sessions, Bob said. :rolleyes:

and CONSTANTLY is the FIRST one to criticize ANY young Black athlete for ANY infraction...

and gets PISSED when people bring up his CRIMINAL past.

"It was DECADES ago! I was a KID ! I made a mistake!"

HNIC

Commander
Staff member

Damn I didn't know this, and he is always the one calling someone immature or a child. Fuck that weirdo.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Damn I didn't know this, and he is always the one calling someone immature or a child. Fuck that weirdo.

Yup...each and every time

Then he throws a hissy fit when he is reminded...

"Why you always keep bringing up old stuff?"

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Maria Taylor rise, Michelle Beadle dive: 2018 sports media awards
By Andrew Marchand

December 25, 2018 | 12:22pm

Modal Trigger
tirico.jpg

Michelle Beadle, Mike Tirico and Maria TaylorScott Clarke / ESPN Images; NBC Sports; CBS

We are dusting off the SportsClicker Awards to look back on 2018 and ahead to 2019. As much as we can, we try to not just rehash what we have already written all year because that would be boring. So without further ado, the SCAs …

Memory lane award
When we one day look back at 2018 and sports media, it will be most remembered as the year of gambling. We aren’t fully there yet, because there needs to be a federal bill or more states need to properly regulate it, but the Supreme Court opened the door this year for legalized sports betting outside of Nevada.

In the years to come — the next five to 10 years or so — this decision is likely going to transform sports media. The biggest eventual impact will likely be in-game betting. This will affect presentation across all media.

The Neymar award
This goes to the biggest dive of 2018, and the winner is … Michelle Beadle. Former ESPN president John Skipper kept asking Beadle to do “Get Up!” and she kept saying no. Finally, for a new $5 million-per-year contract that added “Get Up!” to her NBA duties, she agreed. She seemed uninterested and had little chemistry with co-host Mike Greenberg. After just half a year, her dive worked, as she got out of “Get Up!” and left New York for the West Coast. Strangely, she even got years added to her contract.

went with Michael Strahan as a pseudo-host with Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long. It was awkward to watch. Vince Wilfork may have potential as an analyst, but those comedy features that Fox had him do were seriously lacking.

The escalator award
ESPN’s Maria Taylor is on the way up. She is already on the sideline on the network’s top college football and basketball teams, while also a host for the women’s basketball Final Four and “College Football Live.” She is a part of “GameDay” and is on “Get Up!” regularly. If she isn’t already, you can tell she is going to be a big star.

Gene “Stick” Michael award
We try to scout out who deserves more chances. On Westwood One’s radio calls of “Thursday Night Football,” Tony Boselli was excellent. While Ian Eagle usually brings the best out of his analysts, Boselli weekly showed a willingness to make strong comments. Boselli — who may make the Hall of Fame one day — had a previous run with Fox TV on games, but he is someone TV executives may want to take a look at again.

SEE ALSO
A changing ESPN is working on bringing back Chris Berman

Swami Says award
You are going to hear more about Chris Berman potentially adding assignments on ESPN. We wrote about this last year, and it didn’t fully come together. While Berman will become more of a presence, it is unlikely at this point he hosts “NFL Countdown” again, even if that show is revised.

Swami Says II award
Fox continues to spend big on sports rights. For those in the business, this is like predicting the Warriors will be in the NBA Finals. We get it, but look for Fox to potentially add one of the new football leagues’ games — likely the XFL — for its spring lineup.

The Costas award
The granddaddy award of them all, the sportscaster of the year: Mike Tirico takes the honor. Tirico followed Bob Costas on the Olympics and Dan Patrick on “Sunday Night Football.” He did so with ease. Next up, he will be Al Michaels’ replacement on SNF play-by-play, but that may not be for a while because Michaels is still close to top form and has shown no indication yet he will retire.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Maria Taylor rise, Michelle Beadle dive: 2018 sports media awards
By Andrew Marchand

December 25, 2018 | 12:22pm

Modal Trigger
tirico.jpg

Michelle Beadle, Mike Tirico and Maria TaylorScott Clarke / ESPN Images; NBC Sports; CBS

We are dusting off the SportsClicker Awards to look back on 2018 and ahead to 2019. As much as we can, we try to not just rehash what we have already written all year because that would be boring. So without further ado, the SCAs …

Memory lane award
When we one day look back at 2018 and sports media, it will be most remembered as the year of gambling. We aren’t fully there yet, because there needs to be a federal bill or more states need to properly regulate it, but the Supreme Court opened the door this year for legalized sports betting outside of Nevada.

In the years to come — the next five to 10 years or so — this decision is likely going to transform sports media. The biggest eventual impact will likely be in-game betting. This will affect presentation across all media.

The Neymar award
This goes to the biggest dive of 2018, and the winner is … Michelle Beadle. Former ESPN president John Skipper kept asking Beadle to do “Get Up!” and she kept saying no. Finally, for a new $5 million-per-year contract that added “Get Up!” to her NBA duties, she agreed. She seemed uninterested and had little chemistry with co-host Mike Greenberg. After just half a year, her dive worked, as she got out of “Get Up!” and left New York for the West Coast. Strangely, she even got years added to her contract.

went with Michael Strahan as a pseudo-host with Terry Bradshaw and Howie Long. It was awkward to watch. Vince Wilfork may have potential as an analyst, but those comedy features that Fox had him do were seriously lacking.

The escalator award
ESPN’s Maria Taylor is on the way up. She is already on the sideline on the network’s top college football and basketball teams, while also a host for the women’s basketball Final Four and “College Football Live.” She is a part of “GameDay” and is on “Get Up!” regularly. If she isn’t already, you can tell she is going to be a big star.

Gene “Stick” Michael award
We try to scout out who deserves more chances. On Westwood One’s radio calls of “Thursday Night Football,” Tony Boselli was excellent. While Ian Eagle usually brings the best out of his analysts, Boselli weekly showed a willingness to make strong comments. Boselli — who may make the Hall of Fame one day — had a previous run with Fox TV on games, but he is someone TV executives may want to take a look at again.

SEE ALSO
A changing ESPN is working on bringing back Chris Berman

Swami Says award
You are going to hear more about Chris Berman potentially adding assignments on ESPN. We wrote about this last year, and it didn’t fully come together. While Berman will become more of a presence, it is unlikely at this point he hosts “NFL Countdown” again, even if that show is revised.

Swami Says II award
Fox continues to spend big on sports rights. For those in the business, this is like predicting the Warriors will be in the NBA Finals. We get it, but look for Fox to potentially add one of the new football leagues’ games — likely the XFL — for its spring lineup.

The Costas award
The granddaddy award of them all, the sportscaster of the year: Mike Tirico takes the honor. Tirico followed Bob Costas on the Olympics and Dan Patrick on “Sunday Night Football.” He did so with ease. Next up, he will be Al Michaels’ replacement on SNF play-by-play, but that may not be for a while because Michaels is still close to top form and has shown no indication yet he will retire.

Last edited:

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Golic and Wingo hasn’t missed a beat. Is arguably better than that last few years of Mike and Mike. Even Golic’s kid isn’t bad.

I haven’t listen to any of Greenberg’s shows since M and M ended; no interest.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Michelle Beadle does not seem sad about leaving ‘Get Up!’
By Brett Cyrgalis

September 12, 2018 | 2:37pm

Modal Trigger
mi.jpg

Michelle BeadleGetty Images for ESPN

Michelle Beadle hardly seems broken up about failing as a co-host on ESPN’s “Get Up!” morning show.

The outspoken anchor never quite clicked with Mike Greenberg and Jalen Rose on their New York set, and so, two and a half weeks after ESPN announced she would be leaving the show, she was moving back to Los Angeles, where she will anchor a new NBA show.

“I’d say I’m sad to be leaving but….who are we kidding. Time to go home! JFK—LAX,” she tweeted Wednesday afternoon.

Beadle reportedly was given a deal worth $5 million a year to do “Get Up!” and then got a contract extension to work the NBA show. She had previously said she was not going to watch the NFL or college football, stemming from the Urban Meyer fiasco at Ohio State — an issue for a program that was going to dive into football.

The basketball show, called “NBA After the Buzzer,” will come on after ESPN’s coverage of live games, trying to keep viewers on the network longer. It will feature Rose, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce, with Beadle as the anchor.

The format for “Get Up!” is changing, involving more highlights and scores. Greenberg is taking over most of the hosting, and Maria Taylor, Laura Rutledge, Dianna Russini and Jen Lada are getting shots next to Greenberg and Rose.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
FS1, 'Undisputed' Ratings Up, But Are Skip Bayless And Colin Cowherd Worth It?

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmaurybrown%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F10%2FUndisputed-Joy-Skip-Shannon-HR.jpg

UPDATED

It’s hard knowing whether the investment that FOX Sports made in Skip Bayless is truly worth a four-year contract that is reportedly for $25 million with a signing bonus. The deal reached in 2016 brought Bayless, his steaming-hot takes, and a whole lot of expectations to FS1, where the show Undisputed married him up with Shannon Sharpe.

As they say, there’s lies, damn lies, and statistics, and you can play the numbers game with Bayless on either side of your argument.

First off, FOX Sports informs that Undisputed is up +37% averaging 151,000 viewers for 2018 compared to an average of 110,000 viewers this point last year in 2017. When accounting for studio programming such as First Things First, The Herd, and other shows, to date in 2018, FS1’s daily studio shows are off to their best start ever, up +30% year-over-year. April of this year marked FS1’s 18th consecutive month of year-over-year growth in the weekday daytime timeslot (M-F 6:30am-7:00pm ET). And, FS1 has more than doubled its weekday daytime non-event audience over the past two years.

This is good, right?

The answer is it isn’t bad but it isn’t great. FOX Sports will take it all as they continue to grow the network that they hope one day stands toe-to-toe with ESPN, and not ESPN2.

But back to Bayless, due to the hefty paycheck he’s getting, the question becomes, are the increases really garnering the ratings that you would expect? A +37% increase looks great until you realize you’re not pulling in great numbers to begin with.

Richard Deitsch, formerly of Sports Illustrated, and now the sports media reporter for The Athletic who also does radio in Toronto for Sportsnet 590 The Fan has been a thorn in Bayless’ side. Deitsch has created a cottage industry of sorts around trolling Bayless with ratings numbers. Here’s a recent example.

pulling around $6 million annually.

Just before Jamie Horowitz, the former head of FOX Sports’ programming was fired over claims of sexual harassment, he talked to me about how off-setting costs for doing a sports highlight show like SportsCenter plays against the costs of daytime studio shows like Undisputed. In July of last year he said that The Herd was running at a profit and the expectations were that Undisputed would, as well.

The real question is no longer about whether Bayless or Cowherd are better investments than sports highlight shows that have high overhead. The question is, could an on-air personality that would cost less in salary pull in like numbers? Their contracts are around half completed. We’ll know how FOX Sports really feels about what they bring to the table when those contracts come back up for renewal.

Maury Brown is the owner of Bizball, LLC, a research and analytics company, as well as a member of the BBWAA. Follow him on Twitter @BizballMaury or on Facebook.

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
Has greenie every had a passionate take on Mike and Mike like this

Already wingo>greeny

HNIC

Commander
Staff member

Already wingo>greeny

That was a shit take. People really hated the game because it had the same damn team that has been there seems like every year. With the way the game was progressing in that NE Patriots workman like fashion, it was almost per-determined that they would win the game. It's like watching Titanic for the 15th time.

HNIC

alexw

Platinum Member
That was a shit take. People really hated the game because it had the same damn team that has been there seems like every year. With the way the game was progressing in that NE Patriots workman like fashion, it was almost per-determined that they would win the game. It's like watching Titanic for the 15th time.

HNIC
It's not about whether his take was right or wrong or not, it's the energy and the passion he has about his take. It's entertaining TV which Greenberg could never muster on that show.

HNIC

Commander
Staff member
It's not about whether his take was right or wrong or not, it's the energy and the passion he has about his take. It's entertaining TV which Greenberg could never muster on that show.
I wasn't challenging you @alexw, I was just commenting on his take. Having said that I am a Greenburg fan. I thought he and Golic had a special chemistry, but I do like Wingo also. :)

HNIC

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I wasn't challenging you @alexw, I was just commenting on his take. Having said that I am a Greenburg fan. I thought he and Golic had a special chemistry, but I do like Wingo also. :)

HNIC

co sign

that was some laurel and hardy abbot and Costello energy that is damn near IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

Already wingo>greeny

On the real.. Trey is good...

I've got no clue how he is able to do this show and then NFL live in the Afternoon..

But the man is good...

I like the fact that he screws up at least once per episode..

My only issue now is that I wish Golic Jr was on the rest of his show with his dad. That shit is comedy gold some mornings.

alexw

Platinum Member

I've got no clue how he is able to do this show and then NFL live in the Afternoon..

But the man is good...

My only issue now is that I wish Golic Jr was on the rest of his show with his dad. That shit is comedy gold some mornings.
Man I like the show so much better now. I just found Greensburg to be to neutral on everything and it drove me nuts

alexw

Platinum Member

HNIC
Oh no man I didn't take it that way. this is just a discussion I like to engage in since I listen to the show every morning on the way to work

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

But the man is good...

^^^

I was confused as he;lll

remember they had that BIG send off?

I honesty thought Michael Smith would have been a perfect fit there...

homeboy was like I ain't letting that DAMN check go after all

sidebar...

@HNIC

you should listen to the Bomani interview with Michael Smith

it is EXCELLENT.

http://rssr.link/hcxV

Philli

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I give Maria Taylor one to 2 more years before she is on to something bigger..

Chick is Fucking STAR..... I'd put her fine ass in movies and shit.

There some pics floating around on here where you get a few good shots of Maria from behind and barefoot... literally nothing there at all. She is cute from the front though.

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
First Take's "Debate Super Week" features "heavyweights" of ESPN program on the show each day of the week. (I believe Stephen A. described the line-up as "the best ESPN has to offer" on the show last week.)

Today:

Tomorrow:

I didn't realize at first that these were all TV shows except Le Batard. He's been calling his show the #1 sports radio show for about a year.

Back in the Mike & Mike days, Golic would have been a part of this for sure. Greenberg is there with his new partner today, ESPN is featuring its top radio show tomorrow. If I were Golic, I'd probably feel displaced.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

“Our whole NBA team is doing a great job and remains focused on an incredible NBA Finals and tomorrow night’s Game 6. We have made no decisions about what we are doing next season. After the season, and as we do with every sport, we will sit down and plan our entire NBA content offering across platforms,” the statement read.

Beadle seems to be confident that ESPN won’t be making changes to the staff heading into next season.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Traina Thoughts: ESPN Refutes Report About Major Cast Shakeup to 'NBA Countdown'

JIMMY TRAINA
June 13, 2019
1. Will tonight (or Sunday if we get a Game 7) be the last time we see Michelle Beadle, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce on ESPN's NBA Countdown?

Sports By Brooks reported Wednesday that the trio is out after this season wraps up.

Sports by Brooks@SportsbyBrooks

https://twitter.com/SportsbyBrooks/status/1138829886951313415

SOURCES: Sports by Brooks has learned that Michelle Beadle will not return as the host of ESPN's NBA Countdown next season. SbB has also learned Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce won't return as fulltime analysts and that Maria Taylor may take over as host. https://sportsbybrooks.com/sources-beadle-pierce-billups-out-at-espns-countdown/ …

11:26 AM - Jun 12, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

SOURCES: BEADLE, PIERCE, BILLUPS OUT AT ESPN'S "COUNTDOWN" - Sports by Brooks
EXCLUSIVE: SportsbyBrooks.com has learned from multiple sources that Michelle Beadle will not return as host of NBA Countdown next season. Multiple sources also tell SportsbyBrooks.com that NBA...

sportsbybrooks.com

767 people are talking about this

ESPN released a statement disputing the news, which said, “Our whole NBA team is doing a great job and remains focused on an incredible NBA Finals and tomorrow night’s Game 6. We have made no decisions about what we are doing next season. After the season, and as we do with every sport, we will sit down and plan our entire NBA content offering across platforms.”

Here's the thing: Where there's smoke, there's fire. ESPN isn't going to confirm that report while the cast still has one or two shows left. However, it's also possible that the network really hasn't made a decision yet about next season since it is still dealing with this season.

But here's what we do know: ESPN will be airing NBA games, including the Finals, through the 2024-25 season. They are paying the NBA $1.4 billion a year for those rights. They have to have a better studio show.

Granted, it will be impossible for ESPN to compete with TNT when it comes to NBA studio shows, unless they lure Charles Barkley away from TNT, but when the only buzz you get all postseason is because Paul Pierce made up a story about crapping his pants, you have issues.

ESPN is the king at making everything it does feel important. For some reason, it hasn't been able to do that with NBA Countdown, through numerous iterations. It's hard to believe the World Wide Leader won't keep trying, though.

They've built a relationship with Kobe Bryant thanks to his ESPN+ show, Detail. If I'm ESPN, he's the first person I'm going after and I'm not stopping until he says yes. The guy is a quote machine who is not shy about voicing his opinions. The second person I'm offering a Countdown spot to is Richard Jefferson, who has been a standout on various shows during this postseason.

Of course, we still have to see if ESPN will make changes to NBA Countdown, but if I were a betting man, I'd say Sports By Brooks will end up taking a big bow in a few weeks.

By the way, the issues of NBA Countdown were a big topic on a recent SI Media Podcast I did with Boston Globe sports media reporter Chad Finn. Take a listen below.