Sports Media: ESPN Discussion - Get Up First Take PTI Update: MASSIVE LAYOFFS 2003!! NEW ESPN brand sports betting app!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The end of one of the longest-running partnerships in sports radio is coming soon.

SI.com has learned via multiple sources that ESPN executives are moving forward with the plan to shift Mike Greenberg—one half of the long-running Mike & Mike radio show on ESPN Radio—into a new role as the lead host of a television show that would air in the mornings on ESPN. The new show will have elements of SportsCenter—which currently airs at that time—as well as a traditional morning show. It is expected to be based in New York City. The new program would put an end to end to Greenberg’s on-air partnership with Mike Golic, which began in October 1998. Mike & Mike currently airs weekdays on ESPN Radio from 6–10 a.m. ET and is simulcast on ESPN2.

Via an ESPN spokesperson, Greenberg and ESPN executives Traug Keller, Burke Magnus and Connor Schell declined comment.

Breaking up the Mikes means ESPN has a large radio slot to fill; Mike & Mike has been a revenue-driver for the division for a decade-plus. It’s also the signature show for ESPN in many radio markets across the country. The leading in-house candidate to emerge as a replacement is Trey Wingo, who has experience on ESPN Radio and is one of the network’s signature NFL hosts. Wingo is the expected replacement for Chris Berman on ESPN's coverage of the opening night of the NFL draft. [Update: It is unclear whether Mike Golic would stay as part of a new show. Mike Golic Jr., who already works for ESPN Radio, could be part of a new show in some role if his father stayed on with a new partner.] There is no timeframe yet for the end of Mike & Mike or the beginning of the new program, but sources said to expect the transition to take place sooner than later.

The Mike & Mike brand has been in the news for the last two years, mostly for potential changes to the show. In May 2015, during its annual upfronts for ad buyers, ESPN boldly announced the show would move from its long-time Bristol, Connecticut, location to ABC’s Times Square studio in New York City, beginning in February 2016. The move was designed to turn Mike & Mike into a Good Morning America-style program, including interacting with the ABC show, which is also under the Disney aegis. The move never happened. ESPN pulled the plug on the idea a couple of months later. But as Jim Miller reported in The Hollywood Reporter last month, CAA recently closed a deal for Greenberg “that makes him one of the highest-paid sports personalities at ESPN and beyond (reportedly north of $6.5 million a year).” ESPN would not offer such a deal for Greenberg merely to continue his radio program.

There is risk here in dissolving a program that has generated significant revenue for ESPN. There is also the larger question of what this means for the SportsCenter brand in the morning. On Jan. 3, ESPN moved the 10 a.m. to noon ET version of SportsCenter to ESPN2 in order to prop up First Take, the long-running debate show that occasionally threatens NBA MVPs such as Kevin Durant. Greenberg's new show could be branded as a SportsCenter, which is the current trend ESPN management is heading with personality-driven shows for its flagship brand. It is unclear what would happen to the current SportsCenter AM talent, though anchor Kevin Negandhi recently signed a long-term deal with the company.

While the current SportsCenter AM ratings have struggled at times, the show can still be a heavyweight. On Tuesday, following the college football national championship game, SportsCenter AM outdrew every studio show except Pardon The Interruption that day—showing the power of the show after big events. (The 7–8 a.m. hour drew 987,000 viewers; Mike & Mike had 305,000 viewers on ESPN2.) Can Greenberg front a show with other ESPN personalities that can rate in the morning? It will be a tough chore against traditional news and entertainment morning programs, as well as sports-specific programs.

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/01/12/mike-and-mike-greenberg-espn-radio-sportscenter-am

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Damn.... I saw it coming. Ughhhhhhh

I think this going to backfire like a motherfucker. I don't know if I'd be willing to watch a show of just Greenie... dude needs someone to play off of... case in point.

Watch the shows where he mans Mike & Mike without a guest host for most of the show.. it doesn't work.

Last edited:

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
I'll believe it when I see it. The person behind these stories has been wrong before.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
VERY WRONG...

he also reported they were going to move the whole show to NYC

but I will say this...

Greenberg gave a WONDERFUL interview way back on the His & Hers podcast and talked about relationship

He said Golic wasn't his friend he was his CO-WORKER

and that is precisely why the show works and they have been able to be together so long.

He said he barely if EVER even TALKS to Golic outside work.

and WARNED them that being friends and close and close and taking up causes like that will eventually RUIN the relationship

And Jemelle and Michael were like...

that's ya'll...

implying it was a WHITE thing.

and that as bother and sister...they had a DIFFERENT dynamic.

And apparently it seems Jemelle and Michael may have been correct with their every expanding success.

Last edited:

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Mike and Mike has become 35 minutes of content and 25 minutes of commercials; like they will come back from a 6-7 commercial break, 4-5 minutes of sports talk another 6-7 minutes of commercials, it's terrible. Bo Jones is the only ESPN radio show worth listening to.

Haven't watched or listened since this went down.

Yep.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
Damn.... I saw it coming. Ughhhhhhh

I think this going to backfire like a motherfucker. I don't know if I'd be willing to watch a show of just Greenie... dude needs someone to play off of... case in point.

Watch the shows where he mans Mike &a Mike without a guest host for most of the show.. it doesn't work.
Yea it's hard listening to Greeny on his own. He overcompensates more times than not and has to talk a million miles an hour just to fill time, but my thing is, even when he has someone to play off, it still doesn't have the same effect as Golic.

I don't get why you break up chemistry when there's no need to. I hope this blows up in ESPN's face.

Idk if he still does, but I remember when Greeny used to fill in for Sportscenter from time to time. Always felt like something was missing

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yea it's hard listening to Greeny on his own. He overcompensates more times than not and has to talk a million miles an hour just to fill time, but my thing is, even when he has someone to play off, it still doesn't have the same effect as Golic.

I don't get why you break up chemistry when there's no need to. I hope this blows up in ESPN's face.

Idk if he still does, but I remember when Greeny used to fill in for Sportscenter from time to time. Always felt like something was missing

He started on SportsCenter...

Greeny needs to understand he is a sideman, set up and that is NOT easy to do...

Golic can't be alone either.

Greeny tried this sh*t before with that bad game show...

Disney BEEN tried to give them shots...

don't forget they had a TV show at one time too talking Football...that BOMBED.

They even tried to change the format last year...

remember Molly was working BOTH shows?

Its fine as is...they need to just leave it.

Give Bomani a morning slot and keep Dan Lebtard in NYC and its all good.

Last edited:

shaddyvillethug

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Y'all giving these Jews wayyyyy too many threads

Fuck em

Fuck greeny( he never played a down or a play in his life)

Feel bad for golic, his mans bailed on him(that's what Jews do)

But fuck em

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Welp it is the end of the era

Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic are officially breaking up

ESPN’s famous Mikes are splitting up.

Mike Greenberg will begin a new morning show on January 1, 2018, the network announced on Tuesday. According to the network, the show will feature “several” full-time co-hosts, guests and contributors. It will air from 7-10 am ET on ESPN — a spot currently held by SportsCenter — and then re-air on ESPN2 at 10 am ET.

Reports of Mike and Mike splitting up have been circulating for months. The two have been together since Greenberg first filled in as a co-host on Golic’s ESPN radio show in 1998.

“One of the many benefits of working at ESPN is that change and evolution are in our DNA,” said Greenberg in a statement released by the network. “My run with Golic has been an incredible experience that I’ll always treasure, but having the chance to engage multiple voices every morning in a dialogue on each day’s sports stories will be a great new challenge.”

Mike Golic will be co-hosting a new morning drive show on ESPN Radio with Trey Wingo that will air from 6-10 am ET “later this fall”, according to the network. It will be simulcast at first on ESPN2 and later on ESPNU when the lineup changes are finalized. His son, Mike Golic Jr., will also join the show from the 6-7 am EST hour each day.

The new roles for Mike & Mike come at a time of a lot of changes at the network including Sage Steele returning to host 7 a.m. SportsCenter and a re-launch of E:60 and Outside the Lines. It also comes after massive layoffs at the company earlier this month.

“With Mike & Mike ending later this year, I am looking forward to the opportunity to begin the next chapter of the ESPN morning show with Trey and my son Mike,” Golic said in a statement. “Both men will bring new and interesting voices to our morning conversations and help to create a fresh fun show for our audience. I appreciate the loyalty of those who have started their mornings with us over the years and hope they continue to do so for years to come.”

In 2016, Mike & Mike made a number of changes in an attempt to freshen up the show, including an updated set which allowed for an introduction of more social media elements and easier-to-call up video features.

The two have been together for nearly 19 years, since Greenberg first joined Golic on air on as a substitute host after his co-host Tony Bruno left. In 2000, the Mike and Mike in the Morning show debuted on ESPN Radio and in 2004 the duo made their debut on ESPN News. They quickly became one of the most popular shows on ESPN and skyrocketed their profiles possibly far beyond what Greenberg expected.

“I accepted the job with the agreement that I would continue to anchor SportsCenter and I was anchoring 100 SportsCenters a year for the first 11 years we were doing Mike and Mike,” Greenberg told For The Win in 2015. “The primary reason I accepted it because I thought maybe the executives at ESPN would hear my work on the radio and like it and it would serve me well in my goal to get a higher-profile position on TV at ESPN.”

Their first conversation, they remembered in 2015, consisted of Greenberg mocking Golic about his weight.

“As he puts it he thought I was either going to laugh at him or punch him — one of the two,” Golic told For The Win in 2015, “and I’m pretty self-deprecating, so I laughed.”

Golic said he called his wife, Christine, at the break of that first show and she immediately noted that the duo had chemistry.

In a statement released from ESPN, Wingo seemed to hint that he hoped his partnership with Golic could last as long as the Mikes did. Or at least have some sort of the same success.

“We’re all looking for someone to grow old with…and I look forward to doing that with Golic,” he said. “On a more serious note, I’m looking forward to the challenge that lies ahead and keeping ESPN radio the place to be in the morning for an entertaining start to your sports day.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/mike-greenberg-mike-golic-espn-breakup

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh well. It feels like the show has been over for a while anyway. They're hardly ever together at the same time anyway.

I'm predicting this Mike Greenberg TV show will be a failure. They work well as a radio show, not sure a full-fledged TV show will work in the end.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ESPN cancels 'Mike & Mike' radio show after 17 years
Published May 16, 2017
Fox News
1494956463624.jpg

In this May 8, 2012, file photo, ESPN radio hosts Mike Greenberg, left, and Mike Golic throw out first pitches before a baseball game between the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago White Sox in Cleveland. The network announced Tuesday, May 16, 2017, that Greenberg would be leaving the longtime morning radio show he co-hosts with Golic to host a new morning TV show on ESPN TV that will premier Jan. 1. (AP)

ESPN has canceled the radio show "Mike & Mike" after 17 years.

The network announced Tuesday that Mike Greenberg would be leaving the longtime morning radio show he co-hosts with Mike Golic to host a new morning TV show on ESPN TV that will premier Jan. 1. Golic will stay in the morning radio spot and will be joined by a new partner in the network's NFL host Trey Wingo. The radio show will be simulcast on television.

Greenberg and Golic have been teamed since 2000. The show will end later this year.

Greenberg says his "run with Golic has been an incredible experience," but he's looking forward to a new challenge.

The network also says Golic and Wingo have multiyear extensions to stay with ESPN.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...cels-mike-mike-radio-show-after-17-years.html

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ESPN's 'Mike & Mike' going their separate ways

22703429-mmmain.jpg

Mike Golic and Trey Wingo will host a new morning show on ESPN Radio starting in the fall. (ESPN Media Zone photo)

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- After being together for nearly 20 years, ESPN radio hosts Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic are breaking up.

At its annual upfront presentation for advertisers Tuesday, the network finally confirmed rumors that Greenberg will leave radio for TV as anchor of a new morning show on ESPN. The program will air weekdays from 7-10 a.m., putting it up against the likes of "Today" and "Good Morning America."

"One of the many benefits of working at ESPN is that change and evolution are in our DNA," Greenberg said in a statement. "My run with Golic has been an incredible experience that I'll always treasure, but having the chance to engage multiple voices every morning in a dialogue on each day's sports stories will be a great new challenge."

The show, which will feature several to-be-named co-hosts, is scheduled to hit the air in January.

As far as the other Mike on "Mike & Mike," Golic is staying on the radio, teaming up with Trey Wingo weekday mornings from 6-10 a.m. They'll be joined in the first hour of every show by Golic's son, Mike Golic Jr.

In a statement, the senior Golic, a Cleveland native, said "With 'Mike & Mike' ending later this year, I am looking forward to the opportunity to begin the next chapter of the ESPN morning show with Trey and my son Mike.

"Both men will bring new and interesting voices to our morning conversations and help to create a fresh fun show for our audience."

The new show will begin airing in the fall. Like "Mike & Mike," the program will be simulcast on ESPN2 at first, before moving to its permanent home on ESPNU.

In other news from the upfront, ESPN confirmed Beth Mowins will be the first woman in 30 years to call an NFL game on Sept. 11 when the Los Angeles Chargers play the Denver Broncos. Peyton Manning was also named host of the 2017 ESPYs in July.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...ing-espn2-new-show/15zk4ozbmsduc1hgshep2r8fpl

SN exclusive: ESPN's Mike Greenberg discusses biggest regret about 'Mike & Mike' breakup
SPORT
  • ESPN's Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic(Getty Images)

Michael McCarthy @MMcCarthyREV

Published on Mar. 31, 2017 | Updated on Apr. 25, 2017

ESPN's Mike Greenberg has one big regret about his looming breakup with "Mike & Mike in the Morning" co-host Mike Golic.

It's not about him, or Golic, or some embarrassing moment during their 17-year on-air partnership that began on radio in 2000 and expanded to ESPN2 in 2004.

It's that their loyal TV/radio audience learned from the media, not them, that the popular morning show is nearing the finish line.

"I would have really liked the first place our audience heard about that is to have been from us. On our show," Greenberg said in an exclusive interview with Sporting News. "Because it’s been a really special thing."

View image on Twitter
C8LD7PYU0AIHOBB.jpg:small

Follow
Mike Greenberg

✔@Espngreeny

Can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed @HankAzaria today. Just hilarious and the new show looks great. @BrockmireIFC

10:27 AM - 30 Mar 2017

Sorry, Greeny, but that cat is out of the bag.

Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated first reported in January that ESPN planned to give Greenberg, who's now represented by powerhouse talent agency CAA, his own solo show on ESPN.

MORE: Is ESPN too liberal? New poll says yes

Since then, the 54-year-old Golic told SN in an exclusive interview he's OK with the pending breakup.

"I certainly enjoyed the 18 years with Greeny," he said. "If we move on from that, I’ll enjoy it if I do it with someone else next."

The end of "Mike & Mike" will be just one of many changes up in Bristol.

A cost-cutting ESPN is planning to lay off scores of on-air talent, sparking a "panic of biblical proportions" on the Bristol campus, sources said.

SN talked with Greenberg as part of his participation in a new ad campaign for Dove Men+Care’s “Real Strength Manifesto." (Greenberg previously did the voiceover for Dove's terrific Super Bowl commercial about fathers in 2015).

The declaration reads in part: "I BELIEVE IN CHOOSING SPORTSMANSHIP OVER SIDES. BECAUSE OUR PASSION SHOULD PULL US TOGETHER, NOT APART."

Those copy lines hit home with Greenberg.

Some of his happiest memories growing up were attending Knicks games with his parents at Madison Square Garden. He hopes his own kids will fondly remember attending games with him and wife Stacy.

But behavior in the stands has gotten so bad, he said, that it's ruining the experience for many sports fans.

"Unfortunately, what you can't help but notice is the total deterioration of behavior in the stands. This is true at all sporting events. Primarily in football, but it’s somewhat true of everything. At times it’s approaching, if not often, ruining the experience of people who are there."

MORE: Jason Whitlock sounds off on 'liberal' sports media, Bill Simmons

The beauty of waching sports used to be that it united people, not drove them apart, Greenberg said.

"The millionaire and the cab driver could sit next to each other in a bar and have something in common," he said. "I think that’s what it was supposed to be. I’m not exactly sure when, or why, it stopped being that."

During our wide-ranging interview, Greenberg talked about his solo show, whether ESPN has become too liberal and his reaction to "Mike & Mike" critic Bill Simmons losing his own show on HBO.

Greenberg also sounded off on SN's recent story about pending ESPN free agent John Buccigross.

Greenberg and Buccigross started at ESPNews together in 1996. They're the last two standing from a bunch of young anchors who broke in at the same time.

”If Bucci winds up leaving, I will really be sad to see that," Greenberg said.

Excerpts of my interview with Greenberg:

Sporting News: Tell us about your new solo morning show on ESPN.

Mike Greenberg: I’ve seen a lot of the stuff that’s been written about it. The truth is, it’s all true. It is all true that that is exactly what we’re talking about. We’re talking about the possibility of breaking Mike and me up after all these years. But as I’ve said to many people, and I know a lot of people don’t believe me, it’s premature. There’s a million decisions that have to be made yet. I have to make a bunch of them, Mike has to make a bunch of them and the company has to make a bunch of them. You’ve been writing a lot recently about a lot of big decisions the company has to make. My one regret in all this is if we do break up, and that’s certainly a very real possibility, I’m not denying that all, I would have really liked the first place our audience heard about that is to have been from us. On our show. Because it’s been a really special thing. This thing has been so far beyond anything I ever imagined it would be when we started. We didn’t launch with a bunch of fanfare, and a bunch of promotion or enthusiasm or anything. When we started, we were the only ones who knew we had a show. We really built the old-fashioned way. Purely through word of mouth. Through people finding us, and liking us, and telling a friend. Slowly but surely, people found out about us. If indeed the sum total of this is we split up "Mike & Mike," which is a very real possibility, I would like for our loyal listeners, the ones who’ve been with us for a long time, to have first heard about that from us. Obviously, that’s not a possibility any more.

SN: We hear your show will be produced in New York, not Bristol. Dream come true for a native New Yorker?

MG: It would be great. I grew up on the campus of NYU (New York University). When I was growing up, I told my parents, "I want to go to NYU." My parents said, "Listen Michael, you’re going to live your whole life in New York, go experience something else." P.S. I’ve never lived in New York again. I left in 1985 to go to Evanston, I went to Northwestern (University). I loved it there. I got a job in Chicago. Loved it there. Ended up meeting and marrying my wife (Stacy Greenberg) there. So Chicago has become very much like a second home to me. But New York is great. It’s a wonderful place. I think it would be very exciting. So if that does work out, I would be thrilled. We talked about doing it a couple of years ago. We were going to move "Mike & Mike" here. Some things happened and it didn’t work out. That was disappointing. So I really do hope that it works out this time. I think it would be great for the show.

https://twitter.com/Espngreeny

SN: Here’s what I'm hearing: Your new show will have a “Greeny & Friends” type format — similar in some ways to “Morning Joe” on MSNBC. True?

MG: Sounds like you know more about it than I do. We haven’t even hired a producer yet. I know people think I’m saying this just to say it, but we really have not officially decided to do this yet. So I haven’t had a single conversation. Maybe other people have. But I haven’t had a single conversation with anyone about this is specifically what we’re going to do. Because I don’t know yet for sure we’re going to do it. I have a bunch of decisions I have to make. I know Mike has some decisions he has to make. I guess a lot of other people have decisions they have to make. The one thing I will tell you about "Morning Joe," I’ve never seen "Morning Joe" in my entire life. Because we’re on at the same time. We’ve been on a lot longer than they have. The one thing I have noticed is that for many, many years on our show, I used to hear, "I switched back and forth between Howard Stern and you" or "I switched back and forth between (Don) Imus and you" or "I switched back and forth between ‘Good Morning America’ and you." But for the last few years I hear a lot of, "I switch back and forth between 'Morning Joe' and you." Which suggests to me that whatever it is they’re doing on that show, it is somewhat similar and appeals to similar people to what we’re doing. That has definitely stuck in my mind. It’s been too frequent to ignore. But I don’t know the show because, again, I’ve been on at the same time since long before they started.

MORE: ESPN may give Sage Steele role on Mike Greenberg's show

SN: OK, let’s flip the question then. If you had you druthers, what kind of show do you want to do?

MG: You know, I don’t think I would do anything that’s all that different from what we’ve done. The beauty of our show has been that we’ve really been able to do whatever we wanted. It started that way because nobody cared what we did. By the time anyone was paying attention to what we were doing, it was kind of working, so they left us alone. So what you see and hear on the air every day is exactly the show that we want it to be. It’s sort of half what Mike wants and half what I want. We’ve just communally decided on what the show is going to be. I don’t think anything I would ever do would be all that different — or I would already have been doing it. I think conceptually we’re doing the right stuff. We’re talking about sports in a way that is, hopefully for some large number of people, interesting. Some days it’s heavier on information. Other days it’s heavier on humor, depending on the news of the day. Some days it’s heavier on opinion. Some days it's heavier on analysis. Those to me are the nuts and bolts of it. The thing about our show, that works very well now, is it's very malleable. I think a show has to be that today. You can’t be rigid. You can’t just be in a very tight format. We’re going to start, we’re going to do the highlights, we’re going to do the news, then we’re going to do that. That doesn’t work. You have to be willing to adjust to the circumstances. I think we do that very well on the fly. So whatever it is I think the next iteration might become for Mike or for me, or for us together, that would be a must. There’s always varying lines of how far outside of sports you want to wander. You can venture a little bit outside of sports on ESPN. But I don’t think you want to venture too far. People ask me sometimes, ‘Do you ever want to talk about things besides sports?’ I have a lot of interests outside of sports. But when I want pizza, I don’t go to McDonald’s. Right? My philosophy — and Mike and I have always agreed on this — is if you really want to hear people talking about other things, you’re probably going to go other places. Most people are coming to ESPN because they want to hear sports conversation. So I’m very cognizant of that. I think it’s important that whatever you do, that that be the center of it.

SN:
You've become more aggressive on issues like healthy NBA players "resting." Is "Mike & Mike" throwing punches now rather than taking them? Even with ESPN business partners such as the NBA?

MG: Not purposefully. That was never a conscious decision...This is the best thing I can think of to tell you about the people that I work for. No one has ever in my 18 years, and I can’t speak for anyone else, no one has ever come in and told me, "Don’t say this or that about the NBA or the NFL or anyone that we have a contract with." No one’s ever told me what to say — or more importantly, what not to say. So my problem with the NBA right now is, forget about words, they’re showing you through their actions, that the regular season is meaningless. Between resting and tanking. I’m frustrated. I’m a lifelong basketball fan. I grew up going to Madison Square Garden. Going to those games with my parents? I loved it. It was the greatest thing in the world going to the Garden, when I was a kid, and watching the Knicks. And seeing the big stars on the other teams they played against. So it offends me. They’re almost making you feel stupid for caring about the regular season. As far as being more opinionated? Listen, people can criticize us in any number of ways that are fair. Lots of people like us. Plenty don’t. The one thing I can safely say is we’re just us. We’re just real. Whatever it is you heard me say over 18 years, that’s what I thought at the time. Whatever Mike said, that’s what he thought at the time. So maybe lately there have been a few more things that have aggravated me, maybe I’ve been a little more aggressive, that’s certainly possible. But it hasn’t been a conscious decision. We never looked at each other and said, "Let’s be a little angrier." I’m generally not an angry person. I have a lot to be thankful for. I have a lot to be happy about it. I have a life beyond anything that I ever could have imagined. As we speak, I’m in a car about two minutes from the building I grew up in. I just grew up a kid in New York City loving sports. The fact that of all the millions and millions of kids who grew up in this country loving sports, I’m the one who gets to have this job, I’m very cognizant of how lucky I am for that. I don’t know what I would have to be so angry about. There are days when things happen in sports that make me mad. I feel willing to express that. By and large, I don’t come in there in an angry mood looking to feel aggravated.

SN: So how do you answer the growing complaint that ESPN has become too liberal? That ESPN personalities are talking too much about politics? And not enough about sports?

MG: I would answer the same way I answered your previous question. In my 18 years, no one has ever come to me and told me what to say or what to talk about. So any political discussion or discourse that we have on our show is exclusively up to us. There’s no agenda beyond our own. I would imagine that’s the same for everybody. So I would imagine that whatever it is Stephen A. (Smith) feels, that’s what he says. Whatever it is that Michael (Smith) and Jemele (Hill) and Scott Van Pelt and Will Cain and Michael (Wilbon) and Tony (Kornheiser) on "PTI," and everybody, whatever it is they feel in their heart and in their conscience about various issues, that’s what they say on the air. I can’t imagine it’s different from that anywhere. Speaking solely for our show, I think we are socially conscious people. We talk about politics a little, to the degree there’s an intersection between the political world and sports. At times it’s not avoidable. Colin Kaepernick and all of that last year and a variety of other issues. So I don’t think of it that way. I know for sure that there isn’t some sort of agenda being driven through us. If that is something that people think, then I guess that’s something to consider.

SN: Mike Golic told me the same thing a few weeks ago.

MG: Look, I know Mike Golic as well as I’ve know anybody in my entire life. Mike Golic is an open-minded, big-hearted person. I would not describe him as being very left-leaning. I don’t think anyone who listens to our show would describe him as that. I respect his conscience enormously. His great values. But I would not describe him as a person who’s extraordinarily left-leaning. I don't think that would be an appropriate example at all.

SN: Any thoughts on the looming layoffs at ESPN? Are nerves getting tight up there?

MG: I don’t because I don’t really know what’s going on. I read what you guys write. I hate it when people I cover say stuff like that. Because it sounds completely not the way I mean it to sound. I guess what I mean is, whatever it is that’s going on, I’m not being consulted about it and no one is talking to me about it. I honestly don’t know what’s happening. I’ve worked at ESPN for 20 years. I love that place. I’m very well aware that for my the rest of my life, the letters ESPN are going to be attached to my name. Literally, everywhere I go, people say, ‘Aren’t you the guy from ESPN?’ I’m proud to say yes. The company has been great to me. It’s given me everything that I have in my life professionally. I only want good things for it. I only want good things for the people who are there. If that sort of thing is going to go on, it will make me feel terrible. I only know what I’ve seen in the media like everyone else has. I hope that isn’t the case. But I honestly don’t know, one way or the other.

MORE: ESPN exec rips FS1 head for taking 'cheap shot' at network

SN: Bill Simmons used to take potshots at you and Mike. Do you think The Sports Guy learned the hard way that TV isn’t easy. Are you and Mike having the last laugh?

MG: Whatever it is that didn’t work out well for him with his show at HBO, I don’t think it means that TV isn’t easy, or he isn’t good at it. Not everything works. He’s a really smart, really talented guy. I have no doubt that he will continue to have enormous success. For whatever reason, that one particular venture didn’t work out. But he’s had a million others that have worked out extraordinary well. So you don’t bat a 1.000. As far as him being tough on us, look, I don’t judge people by what they think of me. Our show isn’t his cup of tea. That’s fine. It doesn’t really matter. He’s a smart, successful guy. I’m sure he’ll do real well. I don’t know exactly what didn’t go right there. But I don’t think it's necessarily some signal that it’s the end. It’s on to the next thing.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons

SN: You guys wouldn't be partners this long if there wasn't real chemistry. How did the two of you do a four-hour show, every weekday, for so long?

MG: This is our 18th year. Listen, the only way I can think of to describe it, because I’ve had a lot of people ask me about the experience in its totality as though it's over, which it is not, the only thing I can really say is I’m extraordinarily grateful for the success we’ve had. But more than that, I’m extraordinarily grateful for the fun that we’ve had. You said it right: You can’t do four hours a day, every single day, for 18 years, if its miserable. It hasn’t been. We’ve had so much fun. They let us do pretty much whatever we wanted, for the most part, for all of this time. Between Mike and me, we created whatever we wanted to create. We’ve had a great time doing it. I’ve laughed more sitting on the air talking about sports with Mike Golic than I probably have in any other place in my life. That’s invaluable. So whatever much success we’ve had, and however much money we’ve made, and both of those have been terrific, I am most grateful for the all fun that we’ve had.

SN: You’re a long-suffering Jets fan. Will they win a Super Bowl in your lifetime?

MG: How long am I going to live? I think that it is very likely the Jets are about to be the worst team in the NFL this coming year. I think there’s a real chance of that. I certainly hope they will win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. But I haven’t seen any evidence that makes me convinced of it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
SN exclusive: ESPN's Mike Golic opens up on pending split with Mike Greenberg
SPORT
  • ESPN's Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic(Getty Images)

Michael McCarthy @MMcCarthyREV

Published on Mar. 10, 2017

Mike Golic will be just fine if his 17-year partnership with Mike Greenberg comes to an end in the coming months. He would prefer to continue his long-running "Mike & Mike" morning show with a new partner. It would be "awesome" if his new tag-team partner was his son, Mike Golic Jr., who has become a regular on his dad's weekday ESPN morning show (6-10 a.m. ET).

So says the 54-year old Golic in what amounts to the first public comments by him, Greenberg or ESPN about the possible breakup of one of the most successful on-air tandems in sports TV/radio history.

Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated reported that Greenberg is set to land his own New York-based morning TV show on ESPN in coming months.

MORE: ESPN wooing Katie Nolan from FS1

That would end Golic's partnership with Greenberg, a tag team that started on ESPN Radio in 2000, then expanded to television, where their Bristol, Conn.-based show has been simulcast since 2004.

That also would raise this question: Will Golic even stay with ESPN? Or will he jump to another TV/radio network?

Noting "Greeny may go in another direction," Golic said he hasn't heard anything definitive from ESPN brass, but the former NFL defensive lineman for the Eagles and Dolphins would prefer to continue his 22-year career at the Worldwide Leader in Sports.

MORE: Ex-ESPNer Josh Elliot could return to sports at FS1

Of course, that all depends on his bosses at ESPN, who are planning sweeping layoffs of on-air talent over the coming months. (ESPN declined to comment for this story)

"I would imagine I would continue to do that show. We haven’t gotten that far, quite honestly, as to if the show is going to end, when it’s going to end, and when it ends, and if it does end, what's going to happen with the show?" Golic told Sporting News in an interview Thursday. "I would imagine I would still be doing it. I would imagine I would be doing it with somebody else. Who that is? I don’t really know."

Golic noted he originally partnered with Tony Bruno on ESPN Radio. If Greenberg leaves the show, so be it. Golic will move on. Just like ESPN moves on when on-air talent such as Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd and Jason Whitlock jump to rival FS1.

As Golic told SN:

"I had Tony Bruno for a year. He was my first partner at ESPN. Then he left, and I had Greeny for the next 18 years. If, in fact, it is going to change, if Greeny is going to go do his thing in New York, I believe, it's not like the show is going to end," he said. "ESPN keeps going. People have gone on to other networks. People have gone on to switch shows. And shows still keep going. They keep going. If I do it with another partner, I look forward to it. I love doing the show. I enjoyed doing it with Tony Bruno for a year. I certainly enjoyed the 18 years with Greeny. If we move on from that, I’ll enjoy it if I do it with someone else next."

MORE: Jay Harris is ESPN's utility player in ever-changing industry

Among those rumored to be Golic's new "Mike & Mike" partners are his son and Trey Wingo of "NFL Live."

Like any proud father, Golic would love to work with Mike Jr.

"Oh, it would be awesome. He’s on our show every Friday now. I’ve done other things with him. We did a bowl game last year together. We’ve done some radio bowl games. We did the Pinstripe (Bowl) for ESPN, Northwestern against Pittsburgh, this past bowl season. What wouldn’t be great about that? He’s fantastic. He’s way beyond what I was when I first started in this business. He’s way smarter than me. He speaks better way bettter than I do. I’m still better-looking than him. That won’t change. It would be great. We'll see where it goes. Either way, I'm sure we will still share some desk time and studio time and booth time."

View image on Twitter
C6e7W7cU4AAOKNk.jpg:small

Follow
JanssenUS

✔@JanssenUS

Who’s on YOUR #T2D team? For @espngolic, his support team is the key to his success. Watch his other tips here: http://bit.ly/1WTaY6e

9:30 AM - 9 Mar 2017

Like his father before him, Golic is a Type 2 diabetic. SN spoke with the ESPN host Thursday as part of his endorsement of Janssen Pharmaceuticals and the Invokana drug Golic takes regularly.

When he retired from the NFL, Golic ballooned to 320 pounds.

MORE: ESPN Bracket Marathon features ties to Vegas, Jimmy V Foundation

"I looked like a vanilla milkshake," he said.

Since then, he has gotten his Type 2 diabetes under control through a combination of diet, medication, portion control and exercise. He also relies on his doctor and family to support his weight-loss efforts (he is down to 240 pounds). He advises anybody worried about Type 2 diabetes to visit icanimagine.com for more information.

"Everything I do is sports-related," Golic said. "The doctor became my coach. My family became my teammates."

Sporting News also asked Golic, a Cleveland native, about a variety of sport topics. Details:

SPORTING NEWS: Where do you think Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo ends up?

MIKE GOLIC: You saw the Texans cleared the table (by trading QB Brock Osweiler and a second-round pick to the Browns). To my Cleveland Browns! What the hell are they thinking? I have no idea. We all thought it would be Houston or Denver. But now they’ve really cleared the decks for Houston. I would say that might be the landing spot given what the Texans did (Thursday).

STEELE: Browns' gamble with Osweiler better pay off

SN: Will free agent Colin Kaepernick get a job after protesting the U.S. flag/national anthem last season?

MG: Certainly some owners might be jittery. But he said next year he’s going to stand for the anthem, and he’s done with the kneeling and things like that. You have to couple that with the quarterback play, which has been OK. Erratic at times. When he can use his legs, it's really good. He struggles to throw from the pocket. You have to be able to throw from the pocket in this league. I'm not sure the social stance, while it is something that owners have to eventually make the call on, I don't know if his QB play is as trusted. It sounds odd when a guy like Mike Glennon, who’s been a backup, just got $14 million a year from the Bears. It sounds odd. But it looks like Kaepernick might go in that second tier of quarterbacks. He's going to get a chance somewhere.

MORE: Kap to the Seahawks? Don't be shocked

SN: Has ESPN become too liberal politically?

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...in-the-morning-espn/k1jhddr8i2bc1mumru828o7yl

MG: I say whatever I want. Nobody ever told me not to say anything. I've heard people say that, too. I don’t like talking politics. But if we do, I state my case and I move on. Nobody has ever pulled me aside and said you can’t say that. Quite honestly, I don't how true it is. All I can (say) is it never happened to me there.

gamersfuel

Rising Star
Registered
Fuck that show and it's 1 million commercials... every time I turn to it they telling me they are gonna tell me why this or that when they come back from break. They even be doing live ads before the commercials. That shit will not be missed

Eli_Porter

BANNED
Registered
but I will say this...

Greenberg gave a WONDERFUL interview way back on the His & Hers podcast and talked about relationship

He said Golic wasn't his friend he was his CO-WORKER and that is precisely why the show works and they have been able to be together so long.

He said he barely if EVER even TALKS to Golic outside work.

and WARNED them that being friends and close and close and taking up causes like that will eventually RUIN the relationship

And Jemelle and Michael were like...

that's ya'll...

implying it was a WHITE thing.

and that as bother and sister...they had a DIFFERENT dynamic.

And apparently it seems Jemelle and Michael may have been correct with their every expanding success.
One example doesn't prove anything.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic are officially breaking up

ESPN’s famous Mikes are splitting up.

Mike Greenberg will begin a new morning show on January 1, 2018, the network announced on Tuesday. According to the network, the show will feature “several” full-time co-hosts, guests and contributors. It will air from 7-10 am ET on ESPN — a spot currently held by SportsCenter — and then re-air on ESPN2 at 10 am ET.
It was time... It was well past its expiration date. ESPN actually did a good job of transitioning by changing the format a bit and adding frequent guests on the show recently. I hadnt watched in years but would recently catch a segment here and there when they had Bomani or Jemelle on.. Of all the changes this one may work out well. It was also time to kill the constantly runs of SC all dam morning. That era of needing them for that highlight fix is over.

older version

A version older
Registered
Better Wingo than Greeny
All Greney EVER talked about was

"Could HE be the GOAT?"
"Is HE a future HOF'er?"
"Who is in your top # of _ position?"

The subject (HE) of those questions ranged from Ali to the newest of the new. I havent listened in a while, but it is possible that Greeney even asked the
question about Lonzo Ball as a part of his non-informed banter.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It was time... It was well past its expiration date. ESPN actually did a good job of transitioning by changing the format a bit and adding frequent guests on the show recently. I hadnt watched in years but would recently catch a segment here and there when they had Bomani or Jemelle on.. Of all the changes this one may work out well. It was also time to kill the constantly runs of SC all dam morning. That era of needing them for that highlight fix is over.

I understand your point...but I feel like Mike & Mike wasn't BROKE.

All the improvements you mention have worked.

But they tried to add the new set with chairs to make it a radio AND TV show and that didn't work at all...

the MILLIONS they spent on that new sports center set did NOTHING...

all those MILLIONS wasted when they could have implement the main idea you suggested so well..

use your OWN staff to fill the network...the repetition is what is killing ESPN.

the hot takes stuff is obvious now...its trolling now its turning people AWAY from the network.

Add some SUBSTANCE and figure out WHAT they are...

Its not even the liberal politics what ever...ESPN used to be SMART.

Now it isn't. I aint talking Republican or Democrat. It just sounds dumb

HNIC

Commander
Staff member

You sir are correct :)

They just work well together, they have a chemistry.
When one of the host is replaced with Trey Wingo, Adnan Virk or Booger Mcfarland it just doesn't work.
I see them laughing loud and patting each other on the back and it lands with a big thud. :(
The nerd, neat freak, non athletic guy partnered with the former player, slob, loveable big guy just works.
The other substitutes want to be Alpha Males and it falls flat, because they are just regular Joes . JMHO

HNIC :shades: