Sports Biz: Qatar bans alcohol at World Cup stadiums in late reversal Update: FIFA boss makes horrible speech

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Official World Cup 2022 Thread

Qatar bans alcohol at World Cup stadiums in late reversal

World Cup organisers have banned the sale of alcohol around stadiums in Qatar after last-minute showdown talks, FIFA announced on Friday.
First reported by British newspaper The Times, FIFA and Qatari organisers were engaged in late negotiations over whether beer would be sold at the stadiums during the tournament, which begins on Sunday.

FIFA said in a statement: "Following discussions between host country authorities and FIFA, a decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan Festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing the sales points of beer from Qatar's FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters."

While supporters can purchase alcohol at the official fan zones during the competition, the sale of beer at the matches themselves has been a controversial topic.

It appeared an agreement was originally struck to allow FIFA to permit sponsors Budweiser to sell beer at the stadiums. This was then further clarified in the buildup to the tournament after The New York Times first reported that the beer tents would be less visible at the grounds on request of the hosts.

But it emerged there was late pressure on FIFA to halt sales of alcohol at the stadiums themselves, two days before hosts Qatar kick off the tournament on Sunday against Ecuador.

"There is no impact to the sale of Bud Zero which will remain available at all Qatar's World Cup stadiums," FIFA added.
"Host country authorities and FIFA will continue to ensure that the stadiums and surrounding areas provide an enjoyable, respectful and pleasant experience for all fans.

"The tournament organisers appreciate AB InBev's understanding and continuous support to our joint commitment to cater for everyone during the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022."
Well, this is awkward...
— Budweiser (@Budweiser) November 18, 2022
The World Cup was awarded to Qatar back in 2010, but despite the competition starting in two days, the situation around the sale of beer is just one of several last-minute adjustments and teething problems occurring in Qatar.

Building work is ongoing around the various fan parks, transport hubs and stadiums. Meanwhile, some of the temporary fan accommodation has also come in for heavy criticism.

There are more luxurious options available, such as the ships docked in Doha. At the Old Port, there are already two, vast passenger ships waiting for fans to board, with a third expected to arrive on Friday. The port has also undergone reconstruction to provide restaurants and shops to those staying there, but on Thursday there was still last-minute building work being undertaken.

The same goes for the metro hubs and stadiums, where the buildings and grounds are ready to host but the areas around the facilities are still being finished off.

@tallblacknyc

Last edited:

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
Surprise Surprise
Having the cup there never made any sense outside of the $$$. But fifa made a deal with the ‘devil’ and there is no turning back now
Sadio Mane engineering leg injuries to avoid going :lol:
giphy.webp

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
They know soccer fans are crazy a lil more boost like alcohol increases the likelihood of aggressive behavior.. they thinking about safety reasons and not violence which increases liability and lawsuits.. I understand that point of view..as for the sponsorship I mean are they still running ads? If so I guess it can hurt the deal ..maybe more merch just not out in the open drinking

parisian

International
International Member
Qatari's can just reach into either pocket and pay back that little money like it's nothing.

they won't even have to... local laws supercede commercial agreements made prior by an event organizer
and unless FIFA has a written statement by the local government that a set of local laws will be suspended during the tournament, FIFA can kick rocks...
the Qatari government ain't trying to get at odds with the local clergy

Last edited:

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
I believe this is just outside around the stadium. Not inside.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:

bdquest9

To teach the truth to the young black youth
BGOL Investor
They think all those soccer fans aren’t going to find a way to get drunk or sneak alcohol on their bodies into those stadiums. Shit I’ve seen people do it at the Kentucky Derby, not because it was banned they just didn’t want to pay the high prices for watered down mixed drinks.

bdquest9

To teach the truth to the young black youth
BGOL Investor
In Qatar? You'd be a goddamned fool.
Bro you think all those white folk traveling from Europe and around the globe to watch the World Cup and not have alcohol. That’s their liquid courage, and they will not be denied. Please look into alcohol and soccer culture in Europe. They already look down on those towel heads in Qatar and know them getting to host this World Cup was by corrupt means and now they wanna act holiest by banning alcohol in the stadium, ha.

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member
They know soccer fans are crazy a lil more boost like alcohol increases the likelihood of aggressive behavior.. they thinking about safety reasons and not violence which increases liability and lawsuits.. I understand that point of view..as for the sponsorship I mean are they still running ads? If so I guess it can hurt the deal ..maybe more merch just not out in the open drinking

They knew that selling alcohol was a requirement when they signed on though.

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member
Bro you think all those white folk traveling from Europe and around the globe to watch the World Cup and not have alcohol. That’s their liquid courage, and they will not be denied. Please look into alcohol and soccer culture in Europe. They already look down on those towel heads in Qatar and know them getting to host this World Cup was by corrupt means and now they wanna act holiest by banning alcohol in the stadium, ha.
cR5NFH1__400x400.jpg

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
they won't even have to... local laws supercede commercial agreements made prior by an event organizer
and unless FIFA has a written statement by the local government that a set of local laws will be suspended during the tournament, FIFA can kick rocks...
the Qatari government ain't trying to get at odds with the local clergy

i dont think thats the case
its a muslim country and i believe per muslim alchohol is no go

booze are a part of every sport around the world, everyone doesnt have to drink but almost everywhere they have the choice
someone fucked and/or lied

if this was a deal breaker the games should've never been granted to Qatar
or
Qatar pulled a fast one 'changing' their minds at the last minute

with all the slave labor it took to get the infastructure ready and moving the cup to november/decbemer hopefully and now this booze ban hopefully everything else goes smoothly

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
FIFA brought this shit on themselves.
They were well compensated. France, to the tune of 8 billion dollars. I promose you they dgaf about budwieser's little funky as 75 million. I'd say the Qatari's are going to have a lot of buyer's remorse when everything is said and done. They like burning money though.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Crass’ and an ‘insult’. FIFA president criticized for speech on Qatar’s human rights ahead of World Cup

By Ben Church and Homero DeLaFuente, CNN
Updated 9:56 AM EST, Sat November 19, 2022

CNN —
FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s near hour-long speech on the eve of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar has been described as “crass” and an “insult” to migrant workers by human rights groups.
In an explosive monologue at the start of a news conference in Doha, Infantino – the boss of world soccer’s governing body – accused Western critics of Qatar’s human rights record of hypocrisy.
'Profoundly unjust.' FIFA boss launches explosive tirade against Western critics on eve of World Cup
“What we Europeans have been doing for the last 3,000 years, we should be apologizing for the next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons,” he said. “Reform and change takes time. It took hundreds of years in our countries in Europe. It takes time everywhere, the only way to get results is by engaging … not by shouting.”

Ad Feedback
The tournament, which starts on Sunday, is the first World Cup to be held in the Middle East, but it has been mired in controversy, with much of the build-up focusing on human rights, from the death of migrant workers and the conditions many have endured in Qatar, to LGBTQ and women’s rights.
Infantino, despite admitting things weren’t perfect, said some criticism was “profoundly unjust” and accused the West of double standards.
‘Deflection and whataboutery’
Steve Cockburn, Amnesty International’s head of economic and social justice, said in a statement: “In brushing aside legitimate human rights criticisms, Gianni Infantino is dismissing the enormous price paid by migrant workers to make his flagship tournament possible – as well as FIFA’s responsibility for it.
He added that “demands for equality, dignity and compensation cannot be treated as some sort of culture war – they are universal human rights that FIFA has committed to respect in its own statutes.
“If there is one tiny glimmer of hope, it is that Infantino announced that FIFA would establish a legacy fund after the World Cup. This cannot be mere window dressing, however. If FIFA is to salvage anything from this tournament, it must announce that it will invest a significant part of the $6 billion the organisation will make from this tournament and make sure this fund is used to compensate workers and their families directly.”
Nicholas McGeehan, director of FairSquare, a non-profit human rights organization, said in a statement: “Infantino’s comments were as crass as they were clumsy and suggest that the FIFA president is getting his talking points direct from the Qatari authorities.
Qatar says all are welcome to the World Cup but some LGBTQ soccer fans are staying away
“Deflection and whataboutery have always been at the core of Qatar’s PR efforts to defend its rank failures, and now they have the FIFA president doing their work for them.”
And Mustafa Qadri, chief executive of international human rights organization Equidem, also said in a statement: “History will not judge this moment kindly. Infantino’s speech was an insult to the thousands of hard-working women and men who have made the World Cup possible.
“He had a perfect opportunity to acknowledge that thousands of women and men from the poorest countries came to the richest only to face deception, exploitation and discrimination.
“Every day workers are contacting Equidem about unpaid wages, abuse and being terrified about speaking out for fear of retaliation from employers. There is a solution here: Infantino should establish a comprehensive compensation fund and demand Qatar establish an independent migrant workers’ centre so workers have a safe space to raise complaints and get the support they need.”
The Guardian reported last year that 6,500 South Asian migrant workers have died in Qatar since the country was awarded the World Cup in 2010, most of whom were involved in low-wage, dangerous labor, often undertaken in extreme heat.
The report did not connect all 6,500 deaths with World Cup infrastructure projects and has not been independently verified by CNN.
Hassan Al Thawadi – the man in charge of leading Qatar’s preparations – told CNN’s Becky Anderson last year that the Guardian’s 6,500 figure was a “sensational headline” that was misleading and that the report lacked context.
A government official has told CNN there had been three work-related deaths on stadiums and 37 non-work-related deaths. In a statement, the official said the Guardian’s figures were “inaccurate” and “wildly misleading.”
Eight new stadiums rose from the desert, and the Gulf state expanded its airport, constructed new hotels, rail and highways. All would have been constructed by migrant workers, who – according to Amnesty International – account for 90% of the workforce in a near-three million population.
Since 2010, when Qatar was awarded the World Cup, migrant workers have faced delayed or unpaid wages, forced labor, long hours in hot weather, employer intimidation and an inability to leave their jobs because of the country’s sponsorship system, human rights organizations have found.

Da Backshot Champ

Rising Star
Registered
Fuck alcohol, prohibition can come back for all I care. Let there not be any drugs available, there will be a motherfucking problem out here.

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
I get that. Still should a horrible decision for the fucking fans that pay all that money to attend an event and are so restricted on what they can do as adults!!
I don't think you do though. They won't be complaining about having heat this winter in their homes. That also means running water and a whole host of modern conveniences as well as absolute necessities that, when you start to consider the ramifications of, color the situation entirely differently. I hate the world's dependence on fossil fuels but objectively speaking the Qatari's are getting a deal worse than Elon Musk's Twitter acquisition. Without Qatar Russia would be conquering Europe right now

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think you do though. They won't be complaining about having heat this winter in their homes. That also means running water and a whole host of modern conveniences as well as absolute necessities that, when you start to consider the ramifications of, color the situation entirely differently. I hate the world's dependence on fossil fuels but objectively speaking the Qatari's are getting a deal worse than Elon Musk's Twitter acquisition. Without Qatar Russia would be conquering Europe right now
:roflmao3: You can't be serious right now.

So you they don't have the money to do that now?!!! They need the money from the WC to build up that region?!!! Gimme a break!!

All the money will go to the top 1% of those in charge in the country and the poor will still struggle.