South Africa’s Winnie Mandela dies aged 81.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
For me, by taking her lover on a trip when Nelson asked her not to destroyed her legacy in my books.
Then let the man answer the telephone in their hotel room is too much

http://imzansi.com/the-shocking-reasons-why-nelson-mandela-divorced-winnie-exposed/
You have to separate the private from the public life....She and he were both
humans... But it was more than that, Winnie had grown in the 27 years he
had been away. The authoritarian Nelson Mandela left a 27 year young
wife, and came back to a fiery 54 year old. Winnie had grown and formed
her own world view. I saw her, in person, stand up and openly contradict
him at a public rally soon after he was released. From a certain point of
view, she had grown out of control. I do not know if they could have saved
their marriage, but it was clear that the two were man and wife in name
only... When she realised it was ending, she tried to cling on to it; when it
was over, especially when he was dying, she behaved at times, as if it was
still there. The fact of the matter is that Nelson, who never suffered rebellious
wives, had already moved on to the more supportive Graca Machel, the
widow of the first African president of Mozambique, who had been killed
by South Africa, during the liberation struggles in Southern Africa.

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DZ2BhhfW0AE5j8-.jpg

GAMETHEORY

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This letter from makhulu Winnie to Madiba while he was in prison is devastatingly heartbreaking. “We were hardly a year together when history deprived me of you.”

DZ4KvM5WkAE3rn1.jpg

DZ4KvMzWsAAaSnE.jpg

DZ4KvM8XcAAhHzL.jpg

DZ4KvM1WsAAC41m.jpg

DZ4K5EjXUAA4EfI.jpg

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela was the target of the apartheid regime's most concentrated propoganda campaign. A former security operative of Stratcom, Paul Erasmus, says the entire Mandela Football Club were spies. Video: eNCA
000_SAPA971204041120.jpg

File: Winnie Madikizela-Mandela at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission hearing on allegations of her involvement in criminal and human rights abuses by her Mandela United Football Club. Photo: AFP / Walter Dhladhla

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela was the target of the apartheid regime's most concentrated propaganda campaign.

A former security operative of Stratcom said there were spies planted in the Mandela Football Club.

Paul Erasmus has now also claimed -- for the first time -- that the entire club was made up of spies.

The 62-year-old revealed some of the tactics the Stratcom unit used to try and destroy Madikizela-Mandela’s reputation.

WATCH: No evidence linked Winnie to Seipei murder: Fivaz

The whole operation was designed to spread false news about her with the hope of discrediting the entire ANC movement.

But for the unit to succeed, it needed solid information about Madikizela-Mandela’s every move.

Erasmus says the people who helped gather top level intelligence on the struggle stalwart were those closest to her, members of the infamous Mandela Football Club.

The former apartheid agent says he later became friends with Mama Winnie, and that’s how he refers to her now.

* Watch the full interview with Xoli Mngambi in the gallery above.

Nzinga

Lover of Africa
BGOL Investor
FacebookTwitterEmailShare
10 Comments

WATCH: Winnie, the fearless
  • SOUTH AFRICA
  • Monday 2 April 2018 - 6:27pm

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela speaks in 2013 about her marriage and children. Video: eNCA

eNCA

✔@eNCA

https://twitter.com/eNCA/status/980834044941254656

[WATCH] #RIPWinnieMandela: In 2014 eNCA spoke to struggle icon #WinnieMandela. She spoke on living under the shadow of her former husband #NelsonMandela and how she carved her own way into history. Courtesy #DStv403

10:47 AM - Apr 2, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Nomzamo Winifred Zanyiwe Madikizela was born on 26 September 1936 in the village of eMbongweni in Transkei in the Eastern Cape.

She was the product of a proud, fearless Pondo clan, with a lineage every bit as noble as that of her esteemed future husband.

Her great-grandfather Madikizela, a 19th-century contemporary of the Zulu king Shaka, was a warrior chieftain from Natal with a reputation for being bold and ruthless.Winnie was the fourth child born to Columbus and Nomathamsanqa Madikizela. Her father was a minister in the Transkei homeland government of Kaizer Matanzima and her mother a teacher.

IN PICS: 'Mama Winnie' through the years

Nomathamsanqua Madikizela died when Winnie was just eight years old, a tragedy that seems to have haunted her into her adult life.

“I can hardly remember her but I longed for her,” she wrote in her memoirs detailing a 491-day stint in prison.

Nevertheless, by the time she got to high school she had gained a reputation for displaying “exceptional leadership qualities”.

In 1953 she embarked on a journey to Johannesburg that would dramatically change the course of her life. The 23-year-old Winnie went to study at the Jan Hofmeyr School of Social Work. But the city also gave root to her activism.

Sisonke Msimang@Sisonkemsimang

https://twitter.com/Sisonkemsimang/status/980810849890652160

You were strong when we couldn’t be. You were a rage that sometimes burned too brightly and you showed us how to be brave and be our fearsome best. Lion. Warrior. Mother. Mkhonto. #WinnieMandela

9:15 AM - Apr 2, 2018

Four years after her arrival, she was charmed by a tall, dapper lawyer, Nelson Mandela. He spotted her at a bus stop and, after a brief chat, secured a date with her the following week.

By then Winnie had already been drawn into the ANC struggle and had begun to make her mark in the world. She had become the first black social worker at Baragwanath Hospital (now Chris Hani Baragwanath) after turning down a scholarship to study in the US.

Her work at the hospital exposed her to the hardships facing black South Africans. She discovered that one in 100 babies died at birth in Alexandra township.

These experiences fuelled her activism.

In 1958, a year after she met Mandela, they were married, in a Methodist service in the Transkei.

It was an epic romance, as shown in tender love letters exchanged between the two while Madiba was in imprisoned on Robben Island. The very few visits they were allowed were always conducted with glass between them

With or without Nelson, Madikizela-Mandela built her own role as a tough, glamorous and outspoken activist with a loyal grassroots following.

"From every situation I have found myself in, you can read the political heat in the country," she said in a biography.

IN QUOTES: Winnie Madikizela-Mandela

In 1969, she was arrested under the Terrorism Act and placed in solitary confinement for 17 months.

Their two daughters, Zenani and Zindzi, were caught in the crossfire as their parents were in and out of prison.

“I cried almost hysterically when I recalled their screams on the night of my arrest. I just cannot get this out of my mind up to date,” Winnie wrote in her prison memoir 491 Days. “It was enough of a blow to them to be without a father and all the struggle I’ve gone through trying to maintain them without employment.”

In 1977, Madikizela-Mandela was banished to Brandfort in the then Orange Free State (now Free State) for nine years, during which time her house was bombed twice. She had to leave her daughters, Zindzi and Zenani, behind in Johannesburg.

View image on Twitter

Chris Webb @Cee_Webb

https://twitter.com/Cee_Webb/status/980815330556694528

Hamba Kahle Winnie Mandela. Often think of this photo of her in front of the house she was banished to (a bizarre apartheid era form of internal exile) in 1977 with her daughter.

9:32 AM - Apr 2, 2018

She was allowed to return to Johannesburg in 1986.

Two years later, her controversial Mandela United Football Club bodyguards, caused some anti-apartheid groups to distance themselves from her. Madikizela-Mandela had become a political firebrand, openly advocating necklacing of ANC dissidents and police informers.

In 1990, the world watched when Mandela finally walked out of prison hand in hand with his wife, their fists raised.

But they separated just two years later and divorced in 1996 after a legal wrangle that revealed her affair with a young bodyguard.

But it wasn’t long before she was convicted of kidnapping 14-year-old activist Stompie Seipei, who was murdered after he was falsely accused of being a police informant.

During the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), Madikizela-Mandela denied any wrongdoing. Eventually though, she conceded that “things had gone horribly wrong”.

Years later, Madikizela-Mandela would become an outspoken critic of the TRC.

She told eNCA: “We were expected to listen to this, listen to this TRC confessions, and then forgive. We were expected to forgive, forgive this type of thing. A situation where you don’t even have a grave, where a man proudly says in the hearing: there was a toe left and that toe was blown with a hand grenade. You imagine the glee with which they were doing that. And what type of human being is expected to forgive that?”

While Mandela supported his wife through her kidnapping trial, their marriage was already in trouble.

It was her alleged affair with lawyer Dali Mpofu that ended it all and the two separated in 1992 and finalised the divorce in 1996.

Madikizela-Mandela staged a remarkable political comeback, becoming head of the ANC Women’s League in 1993 and retaining the position for a decade.

She served as a deputy minister in Mandela's government, but was sacked for insubordination and eased out of the top ranks of the ruling party.

In 2003, she was convicted of fraud in connection with a funeral fund. The conviction was overturned

But again she rehabilitated her political career, winning a seat in Parliament in 2009.

WATCH: Ramaphosa, Malema celebrate 80th with Winnie Mandela

Intelligent and complex, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela survived the worst of apartheid’s cruelties.

A flawed heroine, she lived with undeniable bravery – and indisputable courage.

-Additional reporting AFP.

PussyMan

Rising Star
OG Investor
https://newrepublic.com/article/147...ial&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sharebtn

The Scapegoating of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela
On the strange afterlife of a figure who embodied post-apartheid South Africa’s contradictions and failings
By EVE FAIRBANKS
April 5, 2018

Updated on April 5 at 6:44 AM.

A few months after I moved to South Africa in 2009, I expressed the wish to meet Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, Nelson Mandela’s ex-wife, to a friend of mine. This friend was a political activist who’d been present at many epochal moments of the struggle against apartheid in the 1980s and the remaking of the nation in the 1990s. Eager to get me acquainted with the country’s history, he normally answered nearly every message I wrote to him within the hour. Except for my request about Winnie. Several notes and text messages about Winnie got no reply, until finally he called me back. In a pained voice, he asked, “Aren’t you sure you wouldn’t rather meet Graca”—Nelson Mandela’s third, less controversial wife?

When Winnie died this week, one South African friend of mine wrote of her “tremendous love and admiration” for Madikizela-Mandela on Facebook. “Thank you Winnie Mandela for what you sacrificed for all of us,” the country’s leading educator, a university professor, wrote. South Africa’s most famous radio host declared her “the gold standard of rage as moral uprightness.” “Rest as you lived, fiercely in power,” a fourth friend, an academic, said. The plaudits were as loving overseas. The Women’s March released a statement, and Jennifer Hudson and Forest Whitaker tweeted praise.

The outpouring of emotion at Madikizela-Mandela’s death startled me, because it ran in contrast to the mix of emotions expressed towards her while she was alive. Unfortunately, I never got to meet the “Mother of the Nation,” as she was honorifically called. But reading the local papers over the years, I got the impression she was a person—maybe the person—the country didn’t like to think about too much, or too deeply.Another friend, who offered to bring me to see Winnie in the township of Soweto just a couple weeks ago—she was generous with guests, especially the poor—whispered to me that, when I met her, I would hear “truths” that South Africa liked, as a country, to avoid. Another black South African writer I know lamented to me that, while she was alive, some people who liked to think of themselves as “savvy” treated her as “a bit of a joke, or someone to subtly ignore.” She didn’t represent South Africa abroad. When I visited the house she once shared with Nelson Mandela in Soweto, an official with the African National Congress (ANC)—the movement she and Mandela co-created—told me that it was “too bad” Winnie still had some authority over the house, because the detritus of her real life interfered with the house’s “coherence” as a historical monument. He complained that the house didn’t “look right” because it wasn’t appropriately “preserved.”

Indeed, Winnie interfered with the whole South African story. She came to represent what might have happened if a different turn had been made at a fork in the path. Never imprisoned on Robben Island but exiled from Johannesburg and put under house arrest by the white-run police in the 1980s, she broke with the ANC’s dedication to nonviolence and encouraged a harder stand, including pursuing supposed collaborators with the white regime; this stance led to the gruesome 1989 murder of a 14-year-old black boy in her charge, Stompie Sepei. She never agreed to completely forgive white or wealthy South Africans like her husband did; she also held to account leaders of color she believed had chummed up too much with elites and their institutions. A few years ago, she told a British writer that Mandela had sold out and negotiated a “bad deal” for black people. She dared to call Archbishop Desmond Tutu, one of the few leaders everybody in the world can celebrate for his unbending faith in the power of “joy,” a “cretin.” At her 1997 Truth and Reconciliation hearing, discussing her alleged involvement in the killing of Sepei, writers noted with awe—and some fear—that her face remained impassive, as if she refused to admit there was anything tragic or unjust about the possibility of such an event, even as she declined to say how much she had been involved.

The same “rage” hailed this week as the “gold standard” was treated with ambivalence while she lived. Winnie’s recent political activism included helping a young politician named Julius Malema, who criticizes the ANC for corruption and for allowing the world’s worst economic inequality to persist in South Africa, and who’s routinely mocked as a dope or a crazy radical by pundits of all colors. She supported a youth movement that pushes for free university education and shuts down South African universities with sometimes-rowdy marches. The same education leader who this week lauded Winnie’s “sacrifices” has railed against this movement for its “complete disregard for education authority” and tendency to wallow in a “pity pool of past grievances.” The radio host who praised Winnie’s “rage” also recently warned South Africa that Malema could be the country’s “own Donald Trump.”

In later years, Winnie was relegated to tabloids for her financial battles with Mandela’s family after his death and her glamorous appearance at her 80th birthday party, leading Twitter to snark that she must have had Botox or plastic surgery. Now she can do no wrong; alive, she sometimes could do little right. If she took a fancy plane, she herself was mocked as a corrupt sell-out. If she spoke out about politics or supported a protest, she was intemperate. “Winnie likes to be in the limelight for all the wrong reasons,” a black letter-writer to Johannesburg’s main newspaper groused two years ago.

It’s a relief to admire the memory of bravery rather than bravery itself. Winnie in the flesh was a symbol of the uneasy implications and contradictions that lie underneath vague and sweeping calls for things like “resistance”: that the urge to resist, truly and fully embraced, can lead to or even demand violence; that justice can afflict the comfortable, and that the comfortable might include us. Some of those now singing Winnie’s praises make their livings from institutions that might well be shattered if the implications of her political vision were carried to their full conclusion: mining corporations, elite educational institutions. Others live lifestyles whose foundations would be undermined by an honest reckoning of the message she delivered about the dangers of capitalism and of ideologies that insist that happiness is available to everybody, rich or poor, without the need for broad, unsettling, even violent changes to the basic structures of political, economic, and cultural power.

One affluent Johannesburg acquaintance who posted heartbroken messages about Winnie also recently wrote on Facebook that she believed happiness comes down to “raw juicing, “sparkling mountain spa water,” “water aerobics,” and $415 “pamper packages” at a Johannesburg resort. “The difference between an ordinary life and an extraordinary one is only a matter of perspective,” she wrote, and “the extent of your wealth [doesn’t] matter.” Well, Winnie believed that the extent of people’s wealth did matter, and that the poor should be encouraged to demand it—even from people like my Johannesburg acquaintance.

Njabulo Ndebele, who wrote a novel based on the story of Madikizela-Mandela’s’s life, in 2016 penned an astonishing essay revealing the visceral unease he felt when forced to finally meet her in person. Even while writing the novel, he had avoided doing so for reasons not entirely clear to himself. He found that he was put off by her bodyguards’ worshipful attitude, wondering if it wasn’t the kind of adulation that had historically produced “domineering monsters.” He felt unnerved by her charisma. And he asked himself, if Winnie “does not resolve [her] contradictions ... What is to be believed about her? How reliable can she be? Can she ever be trusted?”

I wondered, reading the essay, whether Ndebele wasn’t also directing these questions at himself. Anybody vested with new power in post-apartheid South Africa wrestles with whether they’ve sold out—with how much they really differ from the power- or status-hungry people they fought against when they were less privileged. Some, commending Madikizela-Mandela now, insist that her flaws should be forgiven because of what the country did to her: exile her, torment her, ignore her voice. The apartheid-era country, they mean. But that offsets the blame. It was post-apartheid South Africa that set her before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission for murder, put her on trial for racketeering, declared her the “Mugger of the Country” in a headline in one of the most widely-read newspapers in Johannesburg, and exiled her by, at times, “subtly ignoring” her.

In history, the scapegoat wasn’t a person who was lambasted over and over; it was a figure, a donkey or a person, that was sent out into the wilderness heaped with symbols of society’s sins in order to expiate them. There’s something of that, strangely, in the tributes to Winnie. Alive, she put a face on and a voice to the country’s failings. She exposed the tension between wanting to preserve norms of respectability and South Africa’s beguiling story and its awareness that it might have betrayed its promises to the most powerless. Now, dead, the messages of her life and beliefs can be acknowledged—but also carried off with her safely into the afterlife, leaving the living less worried that she’ll go off in a direction they can’t predict or do something “intemperate.”

The movie star Noemie Harris, who played Madikizela-Mandela in the 2013 Nelson Mandela biopic Long Walk to Freedom, confessed to The Telegraph that she felt “terrified” to meet Winnie and was relieved to find that she “loves gardening and is at peace.” In other words, Winnie was defanged, no longer making her “limelight”-hogging claims that freedom had not, in fact, nearly yet been achieved in South Africa. It was a revealing fantasy: one that imagined a version of Madikizela-Mandela in which she felt contented, as if her vision for South Africa had been realized.

It’s far easier to commend her in death than it was in life, when her still-living presence—her capacity to act—contained the possibility that she would align with new allies or take real actions that would make people uncomfortable. Remembering her allows them to pretend that, somehow, that other fork in the road was really taken, that Winnie’s message was duly heard and received. The house in Soweto that the ANC official lamented for its changeability can finally be still, a perfect picture.

Upon Winnie’s death, many South Africans and foreigners tweeted the phrase “Rest in power.” It’s a strange phrase, because the powerful don’t actually rest. Some years ago, the South African poet Vangi Gantsho got it more on the mark: “You fought until your name became unspoken,” he wrote about Winnie. Only now that Winnie Madikizela-Mandela is physically powerless is she fully permitted to rest in power.

Eve Fairbanks’ writing has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The New Republic, and other publications.

@evefairbanks