PlayStation ® PS5

King Mob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not impressed. PS4 Pro struggles with 4k on the regular and can't maintain it's framerate. Give me 4k at 60+ fps and I'll be impressed. Also if 8k sounds amazing but if they aren't showing 4k and 8k in theaters, then it's all programmed up conversion of 4k or 2k source material - I'm not buying upconversions.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
8k is so many years off. I wouldn't even worry about it. And most games won't even be designed for it. Meh
People say the same thing every cycle. Prices on 8k monitors are comparable to what they were for 4k around 2014. I been PC gaming with 4k since late 2015 after prices dropped. Prices will drop and enthusiasts will be on 8k soon enough.

They practically giving away 4k tvs now. This just how it was with 1080p before 4k became affordable. I hope these consoles come out the gate with 8k because that's better for pc. :yes:

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nice breakdown.

The EXACT same principle applies for numerically modelling weather forecast.

Resolution is a world of difference when it comes to detail. We are able to determine supercell thunderstorm at high resolutions since that are small processes.

Here are somes example of what I am talking about.

Our resolution is based on kilometers (km) since we are talking about the scale of the United states.

28km

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_7.png

12km

namconus_ref_frzn_scus_38.png

3km

nam3km_ref_frzn_scus_42.png
U do only bro I know that can turn a vide game console TV discussion into a weather discussion and get away with it.......:giggle:

Varis

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not impressed. PS4 Pro struggles with 4k on the regular and can't maintain it's framerate. Give me 4k at 60+ fps and I'll be impressed. Also if 8k sounds amazing but if they aren't showing 4k and 8k in theaters, then it's all programmed up conversion of 4k or 2k source material - I'm not buying upconversions.
Pro was for suckas

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
Between the economic downturn of the late 2000s and the coronavirus of the early 2020s we have seen two very long console generations.

The PS3 and X360 were released in 2006 and 2005, over a decade and a half ago but those consoles are only ONE generation back and we probably won't see their successors till late 2021 and most of the install base won't be up and going until 2022. Only two consoles in a 15 or 16 year period.

Just make it clear how long the 7th and 8th generations are.

In 1985 Nintendo released the NES in the US by 2001 Nintendo had released three successors to the NES (SNES, N64, GC). Where as Sony and MS have only released one in the same time span.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
there isn't really even alot of 4k content out right now. STILL....

no broadcasters actually broadcast in 4k. a FEW streaming companies (netflix) stream SOME content in 4k. SOME gaming is in 4k. keeping it real 4K is a niche market. and 8K is just some vaporware right now.

lol at people trying to buy 8k tv's with literally zero content available for that resolution.

i currently have a 75" 4k dolby vision/uhd tv. i am not "upgrading" for at least 5 years.
Exactly...just to say they have a 8k TV.:lol::lol:

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Between the economic downturn of the late 2000s and the coronavirus of the early 2020s we have seen two very long console generations.

The PS3 and X360 were released in 2006 and 2005, over a decade and a half ago but those consoles are only ONE generation back and we probably won't see their successors till late 2021 and most of the install base won't be up and going until 2022. Only two consoles in a 15 or 16 year period.

In 1985 Nintendo released the NES in the US by 2001 Nintendo had released three successors to the NES (SNES, N64, GC). Where as Sony and MS have only released one in the same time span.

Developers have a hard time maxing out current systems. Back then everything was so new they were trying to get to realistic graphics. Now graphics are "passable".

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
If the PlayStation 5 is backwards compatible with the previous 4 generations of PlayStation, that will move me from "maybe" to "probably" when it comes to the 9th generation of gaming.

I've spent the 8th generation on the PC pirate ship and perfecting emulation but I'd love to return to modern consoles but I need a bit of incentive.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

To be fair, there was a vast leap in advancement in those 15 years.... NES was 8 bit...SNES 16, N64...and GC..

Right now consoles have yet to produce a system that plays games at 1080p 60Fps standard with some 4k titles going up from there....

And these faces are looking more and more lifelike....pretty soon mfkrs are gonna use that deep fake tech to create games...... and then shit will get REAL

King Mob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To be fair, there was a vast leap in advancement in those 15 years.... NES was 8 bit...SNES 16, N64...and GC..

Right now consoles have yet to produce a system that plays games at 1080p 60Fps standard with some 4k titles going up from there....

And these faces are looking more and more lifelike....pretty soon mfkrs are gonna use that deep fake tech to create games...... and then shit will get REAL

that's not true - gears 5 definitely does, gears 4 might have too

King Mob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You named individual games.....

I'm taking about that being the baseline, the standard and a few individual games giving the user more than that.

PC can't even give you that baseline because of all of the different configs. The likely baseline will have to be like, all first party exclusives, or something. If people will drop billions into F2P and games as services, in their current state - then it won't be a priority for developers/publishers.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
PC can't even give you that baseline because of all of the different configs. The likely baseline will have to be like, all first party exclusives, or something. If people will drop billions into F2P and games as services, in their current state - then it won't be a priority for developers/publishers.

For the most part PC games/ systems are there. Maybe 1080p @ 60fps is a bit of a stretch, but they can give 24-30 fps.

And still we have consoles that revert to 720p

ps5 is meh compared to the new xbox.

Maybe on paper

The only thing the PS5 has over the Xbox Series X is the SSD drive.

The though the total teraflops is lower, each CU of the graphics card on PS5 is running faster.

Real time ray tracing and an SSD running twice as fast as Xbox.....if developers are keen to program for those advantages, gamers would have a better experience on PS5.

but Sony would probably have to make it worth the extra effort

8/11Streetz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
4K resolution is 3840 × 2160 (12.6 megapixels)

8k resolution is 7680 × 4320 (33.2 megapixels)

Here is the problem, if you have 2 TV's, both are 1080P, but one is 50" and the other is 70", the 70" one will look like crap because of how big the pixels are. You have the same number of pixels as the 50" TV but you are stretching them across a larger surface. To compensate for that you need a higher resolution (more pixels) for larger screens to look as crisp.

The opposite is not true though, if you have two 50" TV's and one is 1080P and the other is 4K, they will look almost identical. 4K is for screens 65" and bigger, 8K is for screen 85" and bigger. If you look at most of the 8K TV's that are out, most are 85"-110" which is where that resolution will make a difference.

thanx for the breakdown