Social Media Debate: When experts have to interact with the public who THINKS it knows better (is society getting dumber?)

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
That's why I don't really fuck with twitter or the like. Lot's of nobody't trying to level up with the somebody's.
giphy.gif

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
@4 Dimensional

this is EXACTLY what we were talking about fam...

I don’t see that changing much either. This is the “my truth” generation of people where their truth based on experience somehow resonates as some type of ultimate truth. They will challenge those who have studied or mastered a particular craft to boost their self-endowed intellect.

So many discussions I’ve had in groups on FB never really goes anywhere because so much is driven by emotion. And demographics be damn. I’ve came across the same behavior from everyone. Amazing to me is to know how emotional the older generations are (not a bad thing). This was something is didn’t really think about until I realized how conversations go no where.

This is why it’s difficult to communicate over social media or through typing and why I flourish best when face to face with a person. Im quick witted and I speak with a strong level of logic and sense. These same individuals that like to challenges does not have nearly the same amount of confidence when face to face.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
There's black people doing this?

sadly

YES

its not even a racial or gender thing

this is across the board fuckery

Most certainly black folk is included.

I see this from us mostly only because I’m around and deal with black folk mostly.

However, the CAC is notorious for behavior towards black people. Having a PHD is like having the big joker to these people. There have been countless times white folks would be talking to me about something thinking they know more about it or try to speak above me. It’s funny to see their reactions when I tell them my credentials because you can see how small they turn afterwards.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
It wasn't Jason Aaron it was Jonathan Hickman fan boy was saying he didn't know shit about thanos or the black order... :smh:

As brother Darrkman points out Hickman CREATED the Black Order.

In case y'all are wondering. Hickman is the writer that CREATED the Black Order.

:lol:

Shame the bitch ass deleted the original tweet .

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I don’t see that changing much either. This is the “my truth” generation of people where their truth based on experience somehow resonates as some type of ultimate truth. They will challenge those who have studied or mastered a particular craft to boost their self-endowed intellect.

So many discussions I’ve had in groups on FB never really goes anywhere because so much is driven by emotion. And demographics be damn. I’ve came across the same behavior from everyone. Amazing to me is to know how emotional the older generations are (not a bad thing). This was something is didn’t really think about until I realized how conversations go no where.

This is why it’s difficult to communicate over social media or through typing and why I flourish best when face to face with a person. Im quick witted and I speak with a strong level of logic and sense. These same individuals that like to challenges does not have nearly the same amount of confidence when face to face.

I feel like "rational people" (whatever that means) are to blame in this too.

WE allowed the troll or fake contrarian to not only EXIST but to thrive.

We acted like every troll is lenny bruce or george carlin instead of shutting THEM down quick fast and in a hurry.

And like we were debating before...

I understand that it is lazy to tell someone "you haven't played so you need to watch your mouth"

but I think there IS a NEED for some type of checks and balances.

When you got people who could barely win a game on NBA Live on beginner...

but calling coaches and commentators hall of fame players WRONG when discussing the fundamentals of basketball?

we got a HUGE problem.

Yeah I GUESS its funny when Kyrie and Steph say patently absurd stuff like the world is flat or the moon landing is fake.

But its NOT.

and its not some type of indictment on the CURRENT generation either.

If Michael Jordan had said some dumb sh*t like THAT?

doesn't matter if there was Facebook or NOT

he would have been pillared...FOREVER

Hell we aren't even SURE he ever said "republicans wear Nike too"

and there wasn't Twitter then.

But its on him FOREVER.

We wallow in our stupid and unfortunately Facebook (which is MORE and MORE looking like the instrument to the downfall of modern society) is complicit.

Ads and feeds and news stories that are damn near TAILORED to ONLY support YOUR particular point of view is down right evil.

People are literally getting MORE insular more myopic....

AND WORSE

more emboldened and constantly having their WORST attributes reinforced.

and then the WORST WORST yet?

they CANNOT LEARN.

OR admit they were wrong

(which goes ALL THE WAY BACK to somehow changing your opinion being a flip flopper!)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Most certainly black folk is included.

I see this from us mostly only because I’m around and deal with black folk mostly.

However, the CAC is notorious for behavior towards black people. Having a PHD is like having the big joker to these people. There have been countless times white folks would be talking to me about something thinking they know more about it or try to speak above me. It’s funny to see their reactions when I tell them my credentials because you can see how small they turn afterwards.

Sadly as time goes on

they not respecting that BIG JOKER, fam

cause they DELIBERATELY SEEK out experts and try to debate their weak ass points ANYWAY...

and when they are caught?

Its either...

just kidding (which is a WHOLE other thread of sh*t that PISSES me off about this new attitude in society)

or

accepting you are right...then IMMEDIATELY going RIGHT back to talking their original bullsh*t point.

or

showroom devaluing YOUR credentials, when they not only have NONE but SOUGHT YOUR OPINION out in the FIRST PLACE!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I feel like "rational people" (whatever that means) are to blame in this too.

WE allowed the troll or fake contrarian to not only EXIST but to thrive.

We acted like every troll is lenny bruce or george carlin instead of shutting THEM down quick fast and in a hurry.

And like we were debating before...

I understand that it is lazy to tell someone "you haven't played so you need to watch your mouth"

but I think there IS a NEED for some type of checks and balances.

When you got people who could barely win a game on NBA Live on beginner...

but calling coaches and commentators hall of fame players WRONG when discussing the fundamentals of basketball?

we got a HUGE problem.

Yeah I GUESS its funny when Kyrie and Steph say patently absurd stuff like the world is flat or the moon landing is fake.

But its NOT.

and its not some type of indictment on the CURRENT generation either.

If Michael Jordan had said some dumb sh*t like THAT?

doesn't matter if there was Facebook or NOT

he would have been pillared...FOREVER

Hell we aren't even SURE he ever said "republicans wear Nike too"

and there wasn't Twitter then.

But its on him FOREVER.

We wallow in our stupid and unfortunately Facebook (which is MORE and MORE looking like the instrument to the downfall of modern society) is complicit.

Ads and feeds and news stories that are damn near TAILORED to ONLY support YOUR particular point of view is down right evil.

People are literally getting MORE insular more myopic....

AND WORSE

more emboldened and constantly having their WORST attributes reinforced.

and then the WORST WORST yet?

they CANNOT LEARN.

OR admit they were wrong

(which goes ALL THE WAY BACK to somehow changing your opinion being a flip flopper!)

Well, I’m not exactly sure how you’re suppose to “shut them down” when they are not willing to listen in the first place.

I do understand what you're saying though. They are like the class clown. If nobody pays attention to them, then they see how stupid they look, but when you laugh at their antics, they keep it up.

That's how social media is able to protect these individuals. There will always be someone to agree with their antics no matter what.

There is no real solution to this increasingly annoying behavior, but there are ways to navigate through it all. But it depends on your ability to let things go.

Sort of like that DJ Envy thread where he responded to that troll instead of just letting it go.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Well, I’m not exactly sure how you’re suppose to “shut them down” when they are not willing to listen in the first place.

I do understand what you're saying though. They are like the class clown. If nobody pays attention to them, then they see how stupid they look, but when you laugh at their antics, they keep it up.

That's how social media is able to protect these individuals. There will always be someone to agree with their antics no matter what.

There is no real solution to this increasingly annoying behavior, but there are ways to navigate through it all. But it depends on your ability to let things go.

Sort of like that DJ Envy thread where he responded to that troll instead of just letting it go.

Yeah...

I meant that EARLY on in its development

the internet used to police such activity more AGGRESSIVELY.

especially on message boards like here.

I feel like we either got tired or because a FEW were humorous we allowed it to thrive and spread.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

100%

and the DJ Envy thing irritated me to no end.

and I KNOW it shouldn't

because it was almost a PERFECT storm of 2 sides basically right.

but then you have to add HISTORY to it

and then Envy looks like the asshole here in my opinion.

Envy THRIVES on being petty.

but is the MOST sensitive man I have EVER seen in the spotlight outside Trump.

You can't PUBLICLY cheat on your wife get CAUGHT and PLEAD for forgiveness on national airwaves (FURTHER EMBARRASSING HER) and THEN name calling the women you slept with as trash

It was such a checklist of bitch nigga it boggled my mind...

and he somehow someway became a SUCCESS

good for him

but he CONTINUES to CHAMPION this bitchass behavior.

SO I can completely understand someone seeing him show thousands $$$ of unwrapped gifts and getting slightly annoyed.

Yeah he should have IGNORED the post...

but I feel like you POSTED that?

Envy EXPECTED ALL POSITIVE...

(especially based on how QUICKLY he responded)

don't forget that you NEEDED WANTED positive affirmation

I think THERE is the real problem

all these people are a little extra broken

they see outside validation like HEROIN.

Because I can COMPLETELY see posting all those gifts as tacky and insensitive as f*ck too.

EASILY.

But HONESTLY do NOT think that was his intention

it was "inspiration"

And even Envy's DEFENSE was weak.

He aint post that he gave gifts to some hospital or shelter like that

So again its the... I want ALL the glory no repercussions attitude

the I am ALWAYS right cause that is how I FEEL attitude.

For this SUPPOSED RISE in therapy in our community?

There was must be a sh*t ton of bad therapists

cause I aint seeing any change.

Last edited:

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Sadly as time goes on

they not respecting that BIG JOKER, fam

cause they DELIBERATELY SEEK out experts and try to debate their weak ass points ANYWAY...

and when they are caught?

Its either...

just kidding (which is a WHOLE other thread of sh*t that PISSES me off about this new attitude in society)

or

accepting you are right...then IMMEDIATELY going RIGHT back to talking their original bullsh*t point.

or

showroom devaluing YOUR credentials, when they not only have NONE but SOUGHT YOUR OPINION out in the FIRST PLACE!

Honestly, I NEVER expected anyone one to respect the big joker when I earned it. If anything, I knew I'd probably get challenged more just for having it.

It's funny you mentioned the "just kidding" part because I had a very thorough discussion to my daughter and wife about how daddy does not kid around.

I don't because I'm not smart enough to know when a person is joking or not. So I had to apologize to them that I am as serious as I am. But if they want me to care about their feelings, it's in their best interests that I maintain my honest persona so their is no confusion.

But with the things you've pointed out is why I strive for a deeper understanding of individuals because everything is connected to a past experience. Why are these people the way they are? Much of it have to with self-preservation of the new aged human being. In today's era, we are more mental than physical, so this preservation is having the ability to be an individual while boosting your ego through "likes", "reactions", and "comments" is an essential part for the modern human.

But this leads me to another aspect which is the increase mental health crisis we are seeing in this country. Again, all ties back to a past experience.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Honestly, I NEVER expected anyone one to respect the big joker when I earned it. If anything, I knew I'd probably get challenged more just for having it.

It's funny you mentioned the "just kidding" part because I had a very thorough discussion to my daughter and wife about how daddy does not kid around.

I don't because I'm not smart enough to know when a person is joking or not. So I had to apologize to them that I am as serious as I am. But if they want me to care about their feelings, it's in their best interests that I maintain my honest persona so their is no confusion.

But with the things you've pointed out is why I strive for a deeper understanding of individuals because everything is connected to a past experience. Why are these people the way they are? Much of it have to with self-preservation of the new aged human being. In today's era, we are more mental than physical, so this preservation is having the ability to be an individual while boosting your ego through "likes", "reactions", and "comments" is an essential part for the modern human.

But this leads me to another aspect which is the increase mental health crisis we are seeing in this country. Again, all ties back to a past experience.

but gawd damn it man

you SUPPOSED TO !!!!!!!!!!

you aint wrong...

THEY ARE!!!!

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Don’t know what sparked this conversation but a lot of people just lack experience and don’t know how to obtain it.

They live in a bubble of fear, they never or rarely step out of their comfort zone to experience anything new to learn and gain life experience so that they can speak from experience.

So they stay in their comfort zone where they are safe trying to experience the world from the inside looking out. And with social media this is all too common the case.

So they seek out experts celebs or whoever they feel is a pillar in society that others look up to, to match wits with. Hoping to validate their truth by getting that person to concede to their truth.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Yeah...

I meant that EARLY on in its development

the internet used to police such activity more AGGRESSIVELY.

especially on message boards like here.

I feel like we either got tired or because a FEW were humorous we allowed it to thrive and spread.

I'm sure it's a combination of many things.

100%

and the DJ Envy thing irritated me to no end.

and I KNOW it shouldn't

because it was almost a PERFECT storm of 2 sides basically right.

but then you have add HISTORY to it and then Envy looks like the asshole here in my opinion.

Envy THRIVES on being petty.

but is the MOST sensitive man I have EVER seen in the spotlight outside Trump.

You can't PUBLICLY cheat on your wife get CAUGHT and PLEAD for forgiveness on national airwaves (FURTHER EMBARRASSING HER) and THEN name calling the women you slept with as trash

It was such a checklist of bitch nigga it boggled my mind...

and he somehow someway became a SUCCESS

good for him

but he CONTINUES to CHAMPION this bitchass behavior.

SO I can completely understand someone seeing him show thousands of unwrapped gifts and getting slightly annoyed.

Yeah he should have IGNORED the post...

but I feel like you POSTED that?

you EXPECTED ALL POSITIVE...(especially on how QUICKLY he responded)

forget that you NEEDED WANTED positive affirmation

I think THERE is the real problem

all these people are a little extra broken

they see outside validation like HEROIN.

Because I can COMPLETELY see posting all those gifts as tacky and insensitive as f*ck too. EASILY.

But HONESTLY do NOT think that was his intention

And even Envy;s DEFENSE was weak.

He aint post that he gave gifts to some hospital or shelter like that

So again its the I want ALL the glory no repercussions attitude

the I am ALWAYS right cause that is how I FEEL attitude.

For this SUPPOSED RISE in therapy in our community?

There was must be a sh*t ton of bad therapists cause I aint seeing any change.

Yes, the highlighted part is where the bulk of these answered lay, which I am very pleased you brought this up for discussion.

As a professor of mathematics, I hear so often from my students how they suck as math. So naturally I follow up with a bunch of "why" questions so I can probe their history. Most times, their lack of like something is because someone told them they suck at it. Whether is was a parent, friend, or teacher. Someone shot their confidence all to hell. So most of the time I am building confidence versus knowledge, which is done with A LOT of positive reinforcements.

I'm observing this behavior at a very high rate on social media. Facebook and instagram profile are some of the biggest smoke screens. See, my money is on the human being in constant suffering.
Let me talk to a person and I'll have them telling be about their life in 5 minutes. Never fails. The positive affirmation is most probable to be connected from constant negativity that the individual is currently suffering or has suffered in the past. This is part of the reason, that I believe emotions are connected to EVERYTHING we do. Men in particular, are most protective and the most emotionally unintelligent individuals. This works for and against us. For us because we can maintain some type of logic and sense. Against us, because we hardly ever recognize when we are being emotional.

If a person is unwilling to see their faults, how could they ever change it? The "I feel attitude" is selfish because emotions ARE selfish. People want to feel a certain way, but neglect the feeling of the other individual especially if they contradict each other. In my opinion, this is impossible to navigate through without some type of compromise of feelings.

And you're not going to see any change in our community. You might see it get worse. We (people in general) don't like to see ourselves in the negative. It makes us feel bad, sad, upset, angry and so forth. Society have sold happiness and fun as the norm. Because happy and fun is good for consumerism.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This bullshit is every fucking where. All fucking topics. People got bubble worlds to reinforce any bullshit they believe. They block anyone who disagrees with them. :smh: They occasionally spread out of their bubbles and end up on other feeds talking strange shit.

never heard this term before thanks!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
but gawd damn it man

you SUPPOSED TO !!!!!!!!!!

you aint wrong...

THEY ARE!!!!

This is probably where you and I see this differently. I'm very humble. My knowledge was for myself and for others that wants to know what I know. I never went in with expectations of placing meaning of my PHD with anything other than an accomplishment.

But understand WHY I am this way. When I was earning my PhD, some of the people that was advising me were amazing individuals....at first. Because I was a new grad student, their word was gospel a lot of times. Over the years of gaining my own knowledge and experience, I began to realize they didn't know what the hell they was talking about. They just had the ability to speak above me. I was like :eek:

So tested this out. I gave a presentation one time and completely butchered it. It was horrible and filled with bullshit wording and information. And no one picked up on it. They couldn't question me because they didn't know what to ask. It was then I learned there is other levels to this game. Because of that experience, a person's ability to talk above you does not equate a greater knowledge. That's why I mention to you in that other thread that I ask questions because I can for the most part follow where is person is going in conversations about something I lack knowledge in.

This bullshit is every fucking where. All fucking topics. People got bubble worlds to reinforce any bullshit they believe. They block anyone who disagrees with them. :smh: They occasionally spread out of their bubbles and end up on other feeds talking strange shit.

Yeah, those folks are easy to ignore. The only power they wield is on social media. They know they can't get away with it outside of it.

I had one student say he can without reasonable doubt through science and historical documentation prove that god exist. I bet him an A that he couldn't. He claim to have changed people's mind and perspective and I warned him I am not the one to do this to if he wants to maintain his faith. I told him to bring his preacher, bible and whatever else. Then he admits that he found a stronger faith due to his suicide attempt failing. It was at the moment I realized I'd probably should fall back and let him believe whatever he wants. It's not my place to talk a person down that rabbit hole because I will NOT build them back up.

Don’t know what sparked this conversation but a lot of people just lack experience and don’t know how to obtain it.

They live in a bubble of fear, they never or rarely step out of their comfort zone to experience anything new to learn and gain life experience so that they can speak from experience.

So they stay in their comfort zone where they are safe trying to experience the world from the inside looking out. And with social media this is all too common the case.

So they seek out experts celebs or whoever they feel is a pillar in society that others look up to, to match wits with. Hoping to validate their truth by getting that person to concede to their truth.

Well stated.

There is personal truth and ultimate truth. A personal truth has little validity on a grand scale of things. To the individual, it is grand because it's their whole world, but their world is so small and limited and they can't see it.

Last edited:

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
Oh this shit happens all the time. Some of y'all know I work in advertising....I can't tell you how many times I've had people at Super bowl parties question me on shit. I've had dudes tell me to my face how one product really didn't want to be in the superbowl but had to be from public pressure not realizing I FUCKING NEGOTIATED THE DEAL!

Yeah everyone wants to be an expert.

Darrkman

BGOL Investor
Oh this shit happens all the time. Some of y'all know I work in advertising....I can't tell you how many times I've had people at Super bowl parties question me on shit. I've had dudes tell me to my face how one product really didn't want to be in the superbowl but had to be from public pressure not realizing I FUCKING NEGOTIATED THE DEAL!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Do you let them believe their bullshit or do you correct them? I know there has to be some satisfaction in pulling the big joker on them. Lol

Darrkman

BGOL Investor
Do you let them believe their bullshit or do you correct them? I know there has to be some satisfaction in pulling the big joker on them. Lol

I ALWAYS correct them. I have a very hard time letting stupid slide.

It happens at least once every other year cause during Superbowl someone always brings up the commercials.

The best was when I was at a Superbowl party with work friends and we all started talking about which clients we hated the most. That shit was hilarious.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I ALWAYS correct them. I have a very hard time letting stupid slide.

It happens at least once every other year cause during Superbowl someone always brings up the commercials.

The best was when I was at a Superbowl party with work friends and we all started talking about which clients we hated the most. That shit was hilarious.

Its fruitless

that is the whole thing

they CANNOT ADMIT ACCEPT when they are wrong

even when faced with MOUNTAINS of PROVEN fact...

they would rather delete their account

slink away wit till your GONE and get right back to spewing nonsense

or try to find some type of "middle ground?

"Well yes you are right the Earth rotates AROUND the sun but can we agree that if all planets are moving that the Earth is KINDA at the center of the universe?"

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

NOT WANT...

they SWEAR and are CONVINCED they ARE experts

THAT is what the worst part is

they are deluded as f*ck dangerously so.

*I gotta PM you on some advice for a sickle cell awareness conference coming up next year.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
"interact with the pubic..."

Heh...

they thing is these "trolls" and "fake-perts" are DESTROYING a society altering opportunity

social media shrank the world to the point where the average person had access to the greatest minds in some of the most obscure and insular fields of science medicine art and technology.

We had INSANE access...

my daughter tweeted one of the brightest young minds in ROBOTICS in Canada (she read about her in a magazine) for tips on her project...

and got a RESPONSE!

I am actually trying to get an op-ed piece in the NY Times...

and I can TELL you FIRST hand...

these individuals SPECIFICALLY wrote me that they really don't really do this anymore BECAUSE of the negativity of the public.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

So they seek out experts celebs or whoever they feel is a pillar in society that others look up to, to match wits with.

Hoping to validate their truth by getting that person to concede to their truth.

EXACTLY!!!

What kind of warped twisted logic is THAT?

and the AUDACITY to think they can go against the greatest minds...

look debate is good EVERYONE should and can be challenged.

but to use a VERY overused phrase...

there are LEVELS to THIS.

you can't be some dude who watched a 2 hour YouTube clip and decides to twitter debate a Yale graduate

who worked in 6 different countries as not only an ambassador but government liaison in geopolitics!

And if they are PROVEN wrong?

NOT acquiescence...nope

instead

double down with CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I gave a presentation one time and completely butchered it. And no one picked up on it.They couldn't question me because they didn't know what to ask.
this right here.... is how most of the world works...
from government to corporate to various underground societies and gangs
This is probably where you and I see this differently. I'm very humble. My knowledge was for myself and for others that wants to know what I know. I never went in with expectations of placing meaning of my PHD with anything other than an accomplishment.

But understand WHY I am this way. When I was earning my PhD, some of the people that was advising me were amazing individuals....at first. Because I was a new grad student, their word was gospel a lot of times. Over the years of gaining my own knowledge and experience, I began to realize they didn't know what they hell they was talking about. They just had the ability to speak above me. I was like :eek:

So tested this out. I gave a presentation one time and completely butchered it. It was horrible and filled with bullshit wording and information. And no one picked up on it. They couldn't question me because they didn't know what to ask. It was then I learned their is other levels to this game. Because of that experience, a person's ability to talk above you does not equate a greater knowledge. That's I mention to you in that other thread, that I ask questions because I can for the most part follow where is person is going in conversations about something I lack knowledge in.

Yeah, those folks are easy to ignore. The only power they wield is on social media. They know they can't get away with it outside of it.

I had one student said he can without reasonable doubt through science and historical documentation that god exist. I bet him an A that he couldn't. He claim to have changed people's mind and perspective and I warned him I am not the one to do this to if he wants to maintain his faith. I told him to bring his preacher, bible and whatever else. Then he admits that he found a stronger faith due to his suicide attempt failing. It was at the moment I realized I'd probably should fall back and let him believe whatever he wants. It's not my place to talk a person down that rabbit hole because I will NOT build them back up.

Well stated.

Their is personal truth and ultimate truth. A personal truth has little validity on a grand scale of things. To the individual, it is grand because it's their whole world, but their world is so small and limited and they can't see it.
this one post is full of much WISDOM from you (not mere knowledge but real wisdom)

Thank you