Social Media Debate: When experts have to interact with the public who THINKS it knows better (is society getting dumber?)

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

Exposed to whom?
Theres a type who wants to be politicians.
And everything that's happening falls right in line with the type.
It's rare good people actually want to run people. lol

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
In America, it's the Hatfields vs the McCoys when it comes to politics.
Until White America can embrace the racial aspect of this mindset, not much can change. The White Dem population is waiting for the White GOP population to come to their senses when it comes to Trump, not realizing that THEY DON'T CARE. As long as he promises to give America back to them, poor and lower middle class conservatives do not care WHAT he does or says. The racial component is the White Dem population's elephant in the room. Denying racism is how they tell themselves that things have gotten better for minorities on their watch.
Once they embrace the concept, they should be able to rationally plan forward.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Why are intelligent people not confident?
Because they are aware of both what they know and what they don’t know.
  • Note this definition from Psychology Today: “Confidence is a belief in oneself, the conviction that one has the ability to meet life's challenges and to succeed—and the willingness to act accordingly. Being confident requires a realistic sense of one’s capabilities and feeling secure in that knowledge. Projecting confidence helps people gain credibility, make a strong first impression, deal with pressure, and tackle personal and professional challenges. It’s also an attractive trait, as confidence helps put others at ease.
  • Contrast that with the “Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their own skills.” [same source]
They are always aware of uncertainty, as even when you account for all of the factors, nature will kindly teach you about a new one.

In addition, most of us are committed to lifelong learning, as we realize that there is virtually no field of knowledge where you could learn everything there is to know.
  • And if you don’t know everything, there is the potential for some “unknown unknown” to derail any well thought out plan.
On the other hand, we can at times be reasonably confident that something we propose will work, as we have done our homework. Note the phrase “reasonably certain” …
  • If I’m 100% confident, it’s normally over something relatively trivial, even if it appears to be rocket science or magic to you.
  • Most “smart” people fall under the category of “nerds” with all of the social stigma that comes with that. So, growing up many were awkward around people, and those effects linger into adulthood to a degree.
But at the end of the day, we realize Murphy’s law is as real as the Laws of Thermodynamics.

main-qimg-9687ee971e53ce38674030f0561e56be

Of course, confidence can apply to personal endeavors as well…

main-qimg-5d3f802cc6010792f24c9bcc43899ba3

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like Blinkist but I don't think I'll renew my subscription. It's a good ideal but too expensive.

I only use Blinkist to see if a book will interest me. I have no problem buying a book and getting a couple of chapters in and putting it down. I buy a lot of used books with no intention of reading the whole book. I get what I want out of them. I might only want to read one or two chapters on a specific issue. I would agree with the opinion that you shouldn't read Blinkist and think that you now understand the whole premise of the book.

I love the New York Book Review. It's far more than just a book review. I got a subscription a couple of months ago and I'm reading articles from 25 years ago.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I like Blinkist but I don't think I'll renew my subscription. It's a good ideal but too expensive.

I only use Blinkist to see if a book will interest me. I have no problem buying a book and getting a couple of chapters in and putting it down. I buy a lot of used books with no intention of reading the whole book. I get what I want out of them. I might only want to read one or two chapters on a specific issue.

I would agree with the opinion that you shouldn't read Blinkist and think that you now understand the whole premise of the book.

I love the New York Book Review. It's far more than just a book review. I got a subscription a couple of months ago and I'm reading articles from 25 years ago.

^^^^^

100%

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point
FEBRUARY 5, 2018

A is very TIGHT writing right nereheartbreaking story is currently unfolding that’s sure to have devastating ramifications for years to come. Just moments ago, without any warning, the worst person you know just made a great point.

This is absolutely crushing news, and it’s unclear if recovery will ever be possible.

The tragedy occurred just a few moments ago during a debate about politics occurring among your coworkers. Out of nowhere, the most loathsome person you’ve ever met in your whole life chimed into the argument with a completely valid and irrefutable point. Every attempt to formulate a rebuttal to just the most insufferable asshole on the planet failed miserably because, for the first time ever, that piece of shit’s logic was entirely unassailable.

This is the kind of horrific event you always assume only happens to other people, but never to you.

It’s amazing how life can change in an instant. One moment, everything’s normal, and the next you’re unable to find a single flaw in the intricate and logically sound reasoning of this fucking self-important, endlessly irritating prick. Up until now, everything that’s comes out of that guy’s mouth is pure dogshit, so now that he’s strung together an eloquent and convincing opinion, you’ve been completely blindsided.

In some ways, that’s the worst part of it: You were so used to this unbearable cretin saying nothing but garbage that you had no way to mentally prepare yourself for the day he made an amazing and insightful comment.

While this gut-wrenching calamity has passed, the shock and the sorrow it left in its wake may never truly fade. All you can do now is try to pick up the pieces, move on, and pray that this pompous moron never makes another great point ever again.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point
FEBRUARY 5, 2018

A is very TIGHT writing right nereheartbreaking story is currently unfolding that’s sure to have devastating ramifications for years to come. Just moments ago, without any warning, the worst person you know just made a great point.

This is absolutely crushing news, and it’s unclear if recovery will ever be possible.

The tragedy occurred just a few moments ago during a debate about politics occurring among your coworkers. Out of nowhere, the most loathsome person you’ve ever met in your whole life chimed into the argument with a completely valid and irrefutable point. Every attempt to formulate a rebuttal to just the most insufferable asshole on the planet failed miserably because, for the first time ever, that piece of shit’s logic was entirely unassailable.

This is the kind of horrific event you always assume only happens to other people, but never to you.

It’s amazing how life can change in an instant. One moment, everything’s normal, and the next you’re unable to find a single flaw in the intricate and logically sound reasoning of this fucking self-important, endlessly irritating prick. Up until now, everything that’s comes out of that guy’s mouth is pure dogshit, so now that he’s strung together an eloquent and convincing opinion, you’ve been completely blindsided.

In some ways, that’s the worst part of it: You were so used to this unbearable cretin saying nothing but garbage that you had no way to mentally prepare yourself for the day he made an amazing and insightful comment.

While this gut-wrenching calamity has passed, the shock and the sorrow it left in its wake may never truly fade. All you can do now is try to pick up the pieces, move on, and pray that this pompous moron never makes another great point ever again.

I’m confused

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No no no. There are way more stupid people. Definitely in numbers, if not also in rate and percentage compared with smarter people.

I don't think there are more stupid people- it's just that social media makes the stupid much, much louder than ever before.

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
This thread Is borderline depressing because I am noticing a intellect and logic deficit in this country Especially with Caucasian people it’s getting more and more noticeable. I also see the same thing with some black people especially the coons. And no Trump did not create these people……these people was already hanging out in the background but Trump did make them come forward into the spotlight.

It Has to be a traumatic event to change some of these illogical people minds with certain subjects I.E. Climate change/global warming. I am noticing some people are starting to come around to the fact that global warming is happening because their area is experiencing high heat, drought or a foot of water coming through their house.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
James Holzhauer