Social Media Debate: When experts have to interact with the public who THINKS it knows better (is society getting dumber?)

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm a little surprised by their honesty actually

Is that common? Or is that JUST with you?

And can your fellow educators RECOGNZE AI assisted work instantly?

Just with me. I’m transparent with my students and I earn their trust. I definitely don’t encourage that behavior, but I also don’t condemn them either.

I’m not sure if other educators can recognize it, but consider that many student have low reading, writing, and mathematical comprehension now of day, it wouldn’t be too difficult to spot it.

Faculty don’t really have time hunt all that out.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Just with me. I’m transparent with my students and I earn their trust. I definitely don’t encourage that behavior, but I also don’t condemn them either.

I’m not sure if other educators can recognize it, but consider that many student have low reading, writing, and mathematical comprehension now of day, it wouldn’t be too difficult to spot it.

Faculty don’t really have time hunt all that out.

Interesting you don't "condemn " it?

Is this your math bias showing?

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I don’t think so. Lol.

This conversation warrants a much deeper discussion I can’t do on a message board. Many layers to address, but the cheating is so bad I’d be a fool to fight against it.
Ok - In your opinion - is it now possible to get a BS in Math Finance or Engineering only using AI tools?

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ok - In your opinion - is it now possible to get a BS in Math Finance or Engineering only using AI tools?

Sort of. The problem I am seeing is there are lack of understanding of concepts. If you ask them what they did, they wouldn’t be able to explain. They only just apply. AI is doing all the work and they aren’t learning concepts, so retention of information is lowered as well as critical thinking.

But there are some that leverage concepts and AI, so they are adapting to the changing world.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Sort of. The problem I am seeing is there are lack of understanding of concepts. If you ask them what they did, they wouldn’t be able to explain. They only just apply. AI is doing all the work and they aren’t learning concepts, so retention of information is lowered as well as critical thinking.

But there are some that leverage concepts and AI, so they are adapting to the changing world.

^^^^

I feel this has been the case and the issue way before AI became accessible.