Side Hustle: The Complete List of Non-comedogenic & Comedogenic Oils

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Noncomedogenic is a term used to describe skin care and makeup products that are formulated in such a way that they are not likely to cause pore blockages and breakouts. Noncomedogenic is a fancy word that means not likely to cause comedones (or pore blockages).

BestOilsForSkin_ComedogenicScale.jpg

An oil that has a comedogenic rating of 0 is widely believed to be non-comedogenic and will not clog your pores.

A comedogenic rating of 1 signifies a slight chance that the oil will clog your pores.

A comedogenic rating of 2 tells you that the oil will not clog pores for MOST people, but some will begin to notice clogged pores or a “purge” in some cases.

A comedogenic rating of 3 is where a lot of people will break out using this oil, but a lot of people may not break out depending on their skin type.

A comedogenic rating of 4 suggests that MOST people will break out using this oil unless they have a good tolerance for it. This largely depends on a number of skin type factors.

A comedogenic rating of 5 is basically a guaranteed chance of breaking out. Very very few people can tolerate oils labeled as a 5, but they do exist!

Skin types can be crazy to figure out at times. I’ve recently been battling some REALLY dry skin. And I’m not talking about the usual tight dry skin, but crunchy, flaky, alligator skin with a nice sheen of oil to top it all off…and it’s been such a nuisance to deal with.

One of the most difficult times to care for your skin is when you work and go to school full time like I do. There just doesn’t seem to be enough time for “me time” and my skin tends to suffer for it as a result, especially when I’m prone to getting acne, dehydrated dry skin, or stress-induced oily skin.

So how did I manage to control the dryness and oiliness with such a busy schedule? The answer is easier than you might think.

Healing Oils for Balanced Skin – What Are The Best Oils For Your Skin Type?
It might sound counterintuitive to consider using an oil to deal with oily or dry skin, but I assure you that oils will be your new best friend, especially during the winter. Just remember – like dissolves like which means that carrier oil will cleanse and dissolve sebum. All you have to do is determine which natural oil is right for your skin type. While that may seem a bit daunting, you don’t need to worry, that’s why I’m here!

Healing oils have been used for beautiful nourished skin for thousands of years. The ancient Greeks may be best known for their use of freshly pressed olive oil to cleanse (by applying the oil to the skin and then scraping the pores) and moisturize their skin, leaving their complexions clear, supple, and glowing.

The benefits of using oil on your skin instead of moisturizers :

• Applying oil to your skin can actually trick it into thinking that it doesn’t need to produce more oil.
• Reduces clogged pores by dissolving “plugs”, blackheads, and whiteheads
• Reduces the formation of fine lines and wrinkles
• No harsh chemicals
• Doesn’t strip your skin of natural oils
• Moisturizes and soothes irritated skin
• Clears acne and balances the acid mantle

photo-credit-mankind.jpg

Your Skin Type and The Best Healing Oils
So let’s go over really quickly how oils are supposed to work and how to know if it’s the right oil for your skin type.

When applied to the skin, the oil should absorb completely. If it just sits on top of your skin, looks patchy, doesn’t sink in very well, or makes your face look even shinier than before, then it’s not the right oil for you.

If your skin feels “right” and looks supple, dewy, rested, not overly shiny, and the oil absorbs well, then you’re on the right track! Also, keep in mind that if your skin is dehydrated (meaning that the pores look long and stretched) then you need to be patient. Dehydrated skin will not fully allow an oil to sink in until the acid mantle has been restored.

To do this, you may need to use a bit of hyaluronic acid to help water stay trapped in your skin cells. if you take this route, make sure to spritz your skin with rose water a few times throughout the day. This will ensure that the hyaluronic acid is pulling the rose water into your skin and not moisture OUT of your skin.

Oily Skin Type

Oily skin is characterized by the overproduction of sebum which creates a greasy feel and a shiny look to the skin. People with oily skin usually have acne prone and sensitive complexions.

The best carrier oils to use for oily skin are oils that are light and contain a high amount of linoleic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid found in many light nourishing oils that do not clog the pores.

Linoleic acid has been proven, when applied topically, to reduce clogged pores by over 25% in just a few weeks when used daily. My personal favorite non-comedogenic oil is hemp seed oil. You can read about why here.

Oils that contain the highest amounts of linoleic acid include:

Safflower Oil

– 74.62%

Evening primrose oil

– 73%

Grape Seed Oil– 69.6%
Sunflower Oil– 65.7%
Hemp oil– 60%
Wheat Germ Oil– 60% (I actually no longer recommend this oil as it almost always clogs the skin)
Apricot Kernel Oil– 50.3%
Sesame Oil– 50%
Rosehip Seed Oil– 45.5%
Tamanu Oil– 38%

Be sure to keep these oils in the fridge or in a cool dark place when not in use to prevent them from going rancid (only jojoba oil will last the longest out of the fridge). You will know an oil had gone off by smelling it when you first open it compared to when smelling it when it’s become oxidized. You will definitely be able to tell the difference!

Dry Skin Type

Dry skin is characterized by tight, irritated, itchy, flaky skin. People with dry skin types are usually prone to acne due to “sticky” skin cells clogging pores.

The best oils to use for dry skin are oils that contain higher amounts of oleic acid, a monosaturated fatty acid found in heavier, more slow-drying oils. These oils are well suited for thirsty skin and are absorbed more readily than oily skin types. As a side note, if you’re using oils high in oleic acid and you find yourself breaking out, then your skin may not be considered “dry” but dehydrated. These are very different things. if this is the case, use oils high in linoleic acid instead as listed above for oily skin types.

Oleic acid is known to reduce inflammation when used topically and internally, so make sure to get good quality fats in your diet. All skin types need to be treated from inside out and the outside in.

Oils that contain the highest amounts of oleic acids are:

Olive Oil– 55-85% depending on quality (cold pressed is best)
Macadamia nut oil– 85%
Avocado Oil– 75%
Canola Oil– 57% ( I no longer recommend this oil)
Neem oil– 54% (this oil works better as a spot treatment due to its highly anti-bacterial properties)
Hazelnut oil– 66%
Almond Oil– 68%
Argan oil– 42.8

Extremely Dry Skin Type

Sometimes even oils for regular dry skin won’t work out for everyone. This is where coconut oil and plant butters come into play.

There’s been a lot of hype about whether or not coconut oil will actually make acne worse, but what I do know that it really depends. Coconut oil will moisturize even the driest skin types. If coconut oil breaks you out, it isn’t the right oil for your skin.

Shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, and kokum butter will give you super smooth skin due to their high amounts of palmitic acid, but watch out for possible clogged pores! I’ve used pure shea butter without any problems as it actually has, believe it or not, a comedogenic rating of 0-1! Finding the right oil for your skin type is all about experimentation. If you need a few more nifty tips for dry skin look here.

Combination Skin Type

So what about those of us with combination skin?

Not to worry! You can actually get great results without having to buy 2 different oils. I put the percent ratios up in the oil lists above so that you can choose an oil that suits you best.

Those of you with both dry and oily skin should choose oils that have a percent ratio closer to 50% such as almond oil, argan oil, apricot kernel oil, sesame oil, or rosehip oil (I have really been loving the rosehip seed oil by The Ordinary!). These oils are more balanced for combination skin types without being too far on either side of the spectrum.

I enjoy rosehip oil the most when my skin decides to change to a more combination skin type (yes, your skin can change with the seasons) and have had great results with it. All I need is 2-3 drops applied to damp skin and I’m good to go. No extra oiliness and no dryness. Using a few spritzes of homemade rose water doesn’t hurt either, in fact, I HIGHLY recommend it!

All Skin Types

Another oil I want to mention is, of course, jojoba oil. Even though jojoba oil contains fairly low amounts of oleic and linoleic acids, it is amazing for the skin because it most closely resembles our skin’s natural sebum.

Jojoba oil reduces inflammation, breaks up plugs in clogged pores (over a few weeks), and reduces the production of sebum. This oil is great for all skin types and especially beneficial for acne-prone skin. Be aware though, jojoba oil is a purging oil and will dig out impurities for some people with a vengeance. if this is the case for you, you need to be patient for a few weeks. Use very gentle exfoliants or rhassoul clay to help pull those toxins from the skin twice a week.

I recommend picking one carrier oil and trying it out for at least 2 weeks. Play around with amounts and ratios to see what oil works best for your skin type. A few drops may work for some people of a certain oil, but you may need more or less than that, so listen closely to what your skin is telling you. Pretty soon, you’ll have more balanced and comfortable feeling skin.

Also note that you can mix oils to meet your needs (jojoba oil works very well for this) and you can even add a few drops of your favorite essential oils for added benefits like:

Tea Tree Oil– for acne-prone and dry skin (1-2 drops per tsp of carrier oil)
• – to brighten skin tone (1-2 drops per tsp of carrier – use ONLY at night)
Rose Oil– for oily skin (use a diluted version like this one, then add 1-2 drops per tsp of carrier oil)
• – for combination skin (use 1-2 drops per tsp of carrier oil)

Where to Buy Essential Oils for 24% off.

You can even infuse herbs into your skin care oils to add healing properties such as:

Calendula flowers– for dry irritated skin
Arnica flowers– for healing acne eruptions and bruising
Comfrey– Really helps reduce inflammation and heals wounds (perhaps caused by picking)
Aloe Juice– Good for healing and softening scars

Comedogenic-1-1024x610.jpg

carrier-oil-by-skin-type.jpg

Essential Oils for Scars – Scar Healing Serum Recipe
Here’s what you’re going to need:
Essential-Oils-for-Scars.jpg

Note: add the essential oils first!

• A small roll-on bottle
• A small funnel
• Castor oil (this one or this one) until you fill one-third of the bottle
Tamanu oil (fill the remaining 2/3 of the bottle)
• 5 drops lavender essential oil
• 5 drops helichrysum essential oil
• 5 drops carrot seed essential oil
• 5 drops elemi essential oil
• 5 drops frankincense essential oil

Loving Preparation – Scar Healing Serum Recipe

• Begin by adding each essential oil to the empty roller bottle
• Next, carefully add the tamanu and castor oil using the small funnel
• That’s it! Cap it tightly and use often!

For best results, this serum will need to be applied at LEAST twice a day. I recommend applying 3 times a day if possible. All you have to do is roll it on, rub it in, and go.

Here’s What You’re Going to Need
  1. • The purest aloe gel you can find (fresh is best but you can use Aloe Life aloe vera gel
  2. • Melaleuca essential oil (aka tea tree oil)
  3. • A glass pump bottle or glass container for storage
  4. • A nut milk bag(if using fresh aloe only)
  5. • A small funnel
Instructions
  1. Homemade Blemish Gel
  2. • If using fresh aloe, scrape the gel from the leaves and mash well with a fork.
  3. • Put the fresh aloe in a clean nut milk bag and squeeze through to remove any fiber. You want the mixture to be very smooth.
  4. • Next, add the fresh/store bought aloe gel to a glass container of choice. I love using a pump bottle for easy use.
  5. • Now add in 10 drops of tea tree oil for every 2oz of aloe gel.
  6. • Cap tightly and roll the bottle in your hands to mix thoroughly.
Notes
  1. To Use-
  2. After cleansing, pat the skin dry and apply a thin even layer of homemade blemish gel to affected areas twice a day.
  3. You can definitely use it more often if desired. You should see results within the first few days.
Why These Ingredients Work
Aloe

Aloe is known to be one of the BEST remedies for red, irritated, and inflamed skin. It’s healing properties soothe dryness and calms swelling near areas of infection. Aloe speeds up healing and cell turnover which helps reduce scarring, making it the perfect companion for acne sufferers.

Melaleuca

The king of blemish remedies, tea tree has long been renowned for its skin healing benefits. Its high terpene content destroys bacteria when applied twice daily in diluted form. Use it to stave off acne-causing bacteria, reduce redness, and to calm inflammation.

Why Use Essential Oils for Hormonal Acne?
Essential oils offer a potent way to manage hormonal acne in a way that works amazingly well in tandem with internal treatments.

Acne is a multifactorial condition that requires an integrated therapeutic approach in order to control and finally clear it. Essential oils can really help keep blemishes at bay by killing acne causing bacteria, improving the integrity of the acid mantle, and reconditioning the skin.

Essential oils also treat hormonal acne by:

• Helping to clear out infection
• Reducing sebum production
• Minimizing scarring
• Promoting healing
• Reducing inflammation
• Eliminating toxins
• Reducing stress, depression, and negative emotions

Essential Oils for Hormonal Acne
One of the first things you want to do when healing existing acne and preventing new breakouts is choosing the right essential oils for the job as well as a suitable carrier oil to dilute them.

Choosing a carrier oil can be tricky since they largely depend on the condition of the outer-most layer of the skin. This is why some oils work some people and not work for others. The skin may be dry, dehydrated, oily, combination… some even have a mix of these conditions.

However, I find that jojoba oil is suitable for most skin types while hazelnut oil seems to work well for those with very oily skin due to its astringency. You can also match carrier oils to your skin type as well as read a whole list of comedogenic oils to see what works best for you.

Once you have chosen your carrier oil, it’s time to dive into the best essential oils for hormonal acne.

Essential Oils for Balancing Sebum
Acne Healing Serum Recipe

• 2TB carrier oil
1oz dropper bottle
• 20 drops Carrot Seed
• 10 drops German Chamomile
• 3 drops Myrrh
• 10 drops Palma Rosa or Geranium
• 7 drops Roman Chamomile
• 5 drops Yarrow

The essential oils in this blend reduce inflammation and discoloration, promote healing, and begin correcting and rebalancing sebum production.

To Use –

On freshly cleansed skin, apply 3-5 drops of healing serum to the face, concentrating on affected areas. Allow the serum to soak in for 5 minutes and then dab away any excess. Repeat this routine every morning for two weeks.

Healing Night Serum Recipe

• 2TB carrier oil
1oz dropper bottle
• 30 drops Carrot Seed
• 10 drops Rose or Palma Rosa
• 5 drops Roman Chamomile

This blend gives you a powerful punch with carrot seed essential oil that renews, rejuvenates, and restores the skin while you sleep. The healing power of rose essential oil smooths out the skin’s texture while reducing redness and fine lines. The Roman Chamomile heals existing acne, reduces hyperpigmentation, and replenishes the acid mantle.

Use for 2 weeks at night.

Essential Oils for Healing Existing Hormonal Acne
Now that your sebum is beginning to balance, it’s time to fight infection and reduce acne-causing bacteria on the skin.

Skin Balancing Toner

1oz spritzer bottle
• 2TB raw apple cider vinegar
• 10 drops Eucalyptus radiata
• 10 drops Lavender

Shake well before each use and spritz onto a clean cotton ball. Apply to acne prone areas morning and night after cleansing the skin.

Infection-Fighting Acne Treatment Serum

1oz dropper bottle
• 2 TB carrier oil
• 5 drops Thyme linalool
• 5 drops Clove
• 5 drops Eucalyptus radiata
• 8 drops Lavender

After applying the Skin Balancing Toner, gently massage a few drops of the Infection Fighting Acne Treatment Serum on affected areas. Dab off any excess after 5 minutes with a clean tissue.

This blend has amazing antibacterial properties that penetrate deep into the skin. Thyme is known to be just as effective as benzoyl peroxide as killing acne causing bacteria and drying up blemishes without the side effects. Clove essential oil is highly antibacterial and helps keep bacteria from replicating while the eucalyptus helps keep new blemishes at bay. The lavender in this blend helps calm the skin and reduce redness.

Repeat for 2 weeks.

Blemish Fighting Night Serum

1oz dropper bottle
• 2TB carrier oil
• 20 drops Carrot Seed
• 10 drops Eucalyptus radiata
• 10 drops Lavender

After applying the toner, gently massage the Blemish Fighting Night Serum onto affected areas. Let it sit for 5 minutes and blot away any excess with a clean tissue.

Repeat for 2 weeks at night.

Essential Oils for Repairing Skin Damaged by Acne
Now is the final step and you may be thinking “My skin looks so much better now! I don’t need to keep going with treatment!”. Well, continue you must for another 2 weeks if you want to fully restore your skin and heal up any remaining scarring and hyperpigmentation. Just because your hormonal acne has subsided doesn’t mean it can’t come back with a vengeance.

After cleansing, apply the Skin Balancing Toner. Then apply the below serums as needed.

Daytime Repair Serum

1oz dropper bottle
• 2TB carrier oil
• 10 drops Neroli
• 5 drops steam distilled Lemon (if you use regular lemon essential oil your skin will burn in the sun. Learn more here.)
• 5 drops Geranium
• 5 drops Elemi

Once you have applied the toner, gentle massage a few drops of the Daytime Repair serum on any areas with scarring, uneven skin tone, and hyperpigmentation. Allow the serum to soak in for 5 minutes, the blot away the excess.

Repeat daily for 2 weeks.

Nighttime Repair Serum

1oz dropper bottle
• 2TB carrier oil
• 10 drops Rose
• 20 drops Carrot Seed
• 4 drops Galbanum
• 8 drops Lemon

After applying the toner, gently massage a few drops of the Nightime Repair Serum all over the face, concentrating on affected areas where there is discoloration and scarring. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then blot.

After the 6 weeks are up, continue using the Skin Balancing Toner after cleansing morning and night.

For upkeep using essential oils for hormonal acne control, use the following blend during the day:

1oz dropper bottle
• 2TB carrier oil
• 10 drops Tea Tree
• 10 drops Juniper (great for oily skin)
• 10 drops FCF Bergamot

For treatment at night, choose any of the above nighttime blends for the desired results.

Healing Gum Serum Recipes with Essential Oils
It is estimated that 70-90 percent of adults in the United States have some form of gum disease caused by the buildup of plaque along the gumline.

When the bacteria aren’t properly removed on a daily basis, the plaque starts to irritate and inflame the gums which can lead to pockets, gum recession, and in some cases, advanced gum disease.

Some of the symptoms of gingivitis and the progression of periodontal disease include:

• Mild swelling that worsens over time
  • Puffy gums
  • Dark red or reddish-purple gums
  • Receding gums
  • Bad breath that doesn’t go away
  • Mouth pain
  • Redness
  • Bleeding gums
  • Periodontal pockets – where plaque begins to form below the gum line causing the gums to recede and pockets to form
  • Periodontitis – chronically present plaque, tartar, and bacterial infections that destroy gum tissue and the bone structure of teeth.
  • Tooth loss
Having less than healthy gums isn’t always caused by poor oral hygiene. In fact, poor gum health can be caused by a number of different factors you may not be aware of.

Some of the main causes of gingivitis and gum disease include:

• Being 65 or older
  • Braces, dentures, and other oral appliances that make cleaning difficult
  • Certain medications like birth control and heart medications
  • Crooked teeth that are hard to clean
  • Currently has heart disease, diabetes, or rheumatoid arthritis
  • Grinding or clenching your teeth at night
  • High levels of stress
  • Low immunity
  • Obesity
  • Poor diet that lacks nutrients
  • Poor oral hygiene
  • Predetermined genetic risk
  • Pregnancy
  • Smoking or chewing tobacco
If your root cause includes any of the above, it may be possible to improve your gum health just by focusing on things like upping your nutrient intake or taking steps to stop smoking.

In a lot of cases, however, gum health is solely dependent on good oral hygiene, and that means flossing, brushing, and using a good rinse twice daily.

What’s been frustrating for me is I DO these things yet still struggle with keeping my gums in the threes and below range for pockets. It’s been incredibly frustrating because looking at my teeth, they are straight, white, and LOOK healthy. My gums aren’t red or inflamed.

My dental hygienist is always wondering what the heck is up because I don’t have plaque buildup or tartar or any other typical indication that my gums are having issues.

So, my only guess is I’m not absorbing nutrients very well, or I’m not eating enough nutrient dense foods to help support good gum health.

That brings us to today’s recipe which can help support the gums while getting to the root of the problem.

How to Make a Healing Gum Serum
Aside from focusing on getting in more veggies and dark leafy greens into my diet on a daily basis, I will also be using the following recipe as my daily gum serum.

I used to use one by Living Libations that I LOVED, but the bottle never lasted long enough, and it was a bit pricey to keep re-ordering it.

Instead, I’ve decided to make my own version.

Here’s what you’ll need to make my healing gum serum (fancy version):

This recipe will make a 2% dilution. Feel free to lower the dilution if desired.

You can read more about essential oil dilutions and conversions here.

Recipe for healing gum serum (simple version):

This recipe will make a 2% dilution.

This version contains only the most potent essential oils for healing the gums.

If you want to get really really simple, I would recommend going with 2 drops of clove essential oil in 1 oz of fractionated coconut oil.

Loving Preparation – Healing Gum Serum Recipe

1. Add the essential oils to the 1 oz dropper bottle
  2. Next, fill the bottle to the shoulder with fractionated coconut oil
  3. Cap closed and roll between your palms to mix

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
How Essential Oils Work[/B][/SIZE]
Essential oils can help alter our physical, mental and emotional well-being by triggering and strengthening our bodies’ own natural processes. They are made up of tiny molecules that can deliver healing properties to the systems that control our physiological state.

The best way for the body to absorb the therapeutic components of essential oils is a combination of inhalation through the olfactory system of the nose and absorption through the surface of the skin:

hiw-basic-wscent425.png
1. Inhalation:
When essential oils are inhaled through the nose, tiny nerves send an immediate signal to the brain and go straight to work on the systems that moderate our minds and bodies.

Inhalation can be the most direct delivery method of these incredibly nurturing components in essential oils, since the chemical messengers in the nasal cavity have direct access to the brain.

topicalapplication-425px.png

2. Topical Application:
When essential oils are applied to the skin, their healing components are absorbed into the bloodstream by the pores and hair follicles. Once inside the bloodstream, they disperse to the specific organs and systems on which they work. Pulse points are the areas of the body where blood vessels are closest to the skin’s surface. Applying essential oils to these areas allows for quicker absorption and help them get to work faster. We suggest applying to the wrists, temples and back of the neck.

Think about it like watering a plant: you hydrate the soil because that’s where the roots are to absorb the nutrients. You wouldn’t get the same effect if you just watered the leaves or flowers. We deliberately designed our essential oil blends to be most effective through a combination of inhalation and topical application. Each blend has recommended usage and application instructions that you can find on its individual product page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do Essential Oils Work? The Complete Skeptic’s Guide

We live in a scary world. Research shows that medical errors are third on the list of leading causes of death in the United States. And it’s no surprise that people are looking for different ways of dealing with health issues.

But with debates everywhere about the effectiveness of alternative treatments, things can get really confusing, really fast.

And if you are one of 30 percent of Americans who turn to alternative medicine over conventional treatments, you’ve probably asked yourself this question:

do essential oils work?

I understand your skepticism.

In this article, I am going to break down whether essential oils are actually effective. I’ll be going over history, what research has found, and keep my opinions out of it.

And by the end of the article, you can determine for yourself whether you believe essential oils actually work.

Deal? Let’s get started.

What are essential oils and aromatherapy?
In simple terms, essential oils are plant extracts. They come from the roots, twigs, leaves, flowers, fruit, and more through processes like distillation and expression.

Aromatherapy is a popular complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) modality that has been gaining traction in recent years. But essential oils have been around since Biblical days.

On the surface, they are liquids that smell good.

However, if you started peeling back the layers and delving into the history and chemical composition of these oils, a whole new world will open up before you.

You would begin encountering terms like aldehydes, ketones, oxides, and sesquiterpenes.

You would find out that gas chromatography and mass spectrometry (GC/MS) tell us about these phytochemicals.

You would find more than frankincense and myrrh from the Bible, encountering gems like cedarwood, spikenard, cinnamon, and pine.

You may also be surprised to learn that the same cinnamon, among other oils, was in the original recipe for Coca Cola!

You would see that Pliny, Dioscorides and many herbalists through the medieval era used plants and their oils as astringents, antibiotics, sedatives, expectorants, and so much more, long before those treatments and words existed as we know them.

It is well known that many people survived the plague through a combination of oils that literally became known as ‘thieves oil.’

And all throughout history, up to the present day, you would learn that people from ancient times to the mom down the street have used these oils to treat what ails them.

Multi-level marketing companies even have thousands of representatives that will be happy to ‘prescribe’ them for all sorts of ailments.

You have probably heard of Young Living oils or wondered at some point does doTERRA work for this or that ailment.

That’s where things get tricky…

How did aromatherapy even become a ‘treatment’?
René-Maurice Gattefossé began the aromatherapy movement as we know it today in the early 20th century. He did in-depth studies on treating ailments with essential oils, and coined the term “aromatherapy.”

His foray into the study of oils as a medicine did not begin as many believe.

Anyone who has gotten into aromatherapy has likely heard the famous story of him plunging his severely burned hand into a vat of lavender oil, which in the end, healed him.

It’s a great story and one that many people who sell oils or dabble in aromatherapy tell.

But it’s not true.

Yes, he did burn himself severely. However, he put himself out by rolling on his lawn. He quickly began to suffer from gangrene, and he used lavender oil to heal himself.

Still amazing, but doesn’t quite pack the same theatrical punch as the rumor.

Unlike the rumor, this was also not the catalyst for his research. He later went on to work with French surgeons treating wounds on soldiers in the battlefield.

These events are all detailed in his book, Aromatherapie, from 1937.

Another doctor treated soldiers extensively with essential oils. He dedicated his life to medicine and plants, and produced many books, essays, and research about the healing effects of oils.

These two men had a large impact on the study of the essences that have been used throughout history. In the 1980s and 1990s, the Western world began to take notice and catch up.

What do essential oils do?
If you ask 50 people if oils really work and what they do, you will likely get 50 different answers.

These people will range from those trying to convince you that they don’t do anything to the passionate oil user swearing it cures cancer.

But are essential oils legit?

Where in all of the answers is the truth?

There are many ways people are using oils these days. For instance, diffusers for oils are all the rage.

But do diffusers really work? Sure, they make your home smell amazing, but do they provide any other benefits?

Inhalation through diffusion is one of the most popular ways to use volatile oils. The reasons to diffuse oils are as many as the types of oils themselves.

People love how quickly the oil molecules are released into the air, how fast their moods can change and how long the aromas last.

The way the oils work on the respiratory system is fairly straightforward.

You breathe in the molecules, they enter your lungs, and then your bloodstream.

The way the oils work on the mind, however, is more of a mystery. Is it a placebo effect, or something more?

Researchers at University of Warwick in England have been researching smellsand their effects on humans since 1971. They believe there are many factors that affect how we react to smells, including instinctual hard-wired responses, and soft-wired ones that grow as we do.

Members of this team like Dr. George Dodd are pioneering Scientific Aroma Therapy™. Their newest scent is not a medicine, but may be beneficial for anxiety because of the way Oceanic Amber™ affects people’s moods.

Another member of the team is researching how scent can be used for weight loss. Professor Sudhesh Kumar is studying the effects of aromas on curbing the appetite.

Many of us know instinctively that certain scents will lift our moods, and researchers are calling for more in-depth research on the therapeutic value of essential oils for depression and other emotional disorders.

Dr. Taz encourages people not to steer away from conventional medicine, but to find a middle ground using essential oils. Watch this short clip.

Is aromatherapy medicine?
The FDA states that if a product is marketed as a cosmetic, it does not have to acquire approval. However, once it is touted as a therapy, it does.

Essential oils are often sold for cosmetic purposes. However, they are also being used for therapeutic purposes.

Oils are used extensively in the food and beverage industry, perfumery, and in body care products. That being said, they have shown a lot of promise for health-related concerns.

According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health(NIH), aromatherapy is not a medicine, per se.

It is a complementary modality to use in conjunction with other therapies for health management.

On PubMed, you will find 90 randomized controlled trials on humans studying whether essential oils work for certain ailments. Here are just a few of the results:

The above oils proved themselves in those trials, right?

But essential oils don’t work all of the time:

• An essential oil mixture did not prove more effective than standard skin care in breast cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy.
  • Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has shown mixed results as a topical treatment for agitation and other issues with people suffering from dementia.
  • Pediatric patients that just had their tonsils removed had a significant reduction in acetaminophen use when inhaling lavender (Lavandula angustifolia). However, there was not a significant reduction in waking up at night or pain intensity.
  • Females undergoing urodynamic exams for urinary incontinence did not have a reduction in stress from lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) inhalation. There were, however, relaxation effects from clary sage (Salvia sclarea).
Researchers are becoming increasingly interested in the effectiveness of essential oils as medicinal treatments. If you look on ClinicalTrials.gov, for instance, you will find over 200 studies in the database that center around aromatherapy or essential oil of some sort.

Cancer researchers are paying attention as well.

According to Cancer.gov, aromatherapy shows promising results in managing certain aspects of cancer.
  • The oils are used to reduce side effects of treatment like nausea, fatigue, and pain.
  • Aromatherapy is being used as a complementary treatment along with other alternative modalities like massage.
  • The oils are administered through topical application or inhalation, but rarely used internally.
  • Testing on the safety of essential oils have shown little to no side effects.
That being said, there are no studies about using essential oils as a “treatment” on their own for the disease as some people claim.

Why Essential Oils Work
Research has come a long way from just anecdotal evidence and speculation.

Today, we know that antibiotics fight against microorganisms that can have detrimental effects on the human body, and that can even kill us.

We have terms for everything that can go wrong, and know about the millions of bacteria and viruses and illnesses that we can contract. We know that emotional issues like stress can cause a host of physical problems.

Through studying essential oils, researcher have found that they possess numerous beneficial phytochemicals that possess therapeutic benefits.

Here’s a short list:

Phytochemicals Benefits
Aldehydes antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, calming, immunostimulant, sedative, uplifting
Coumarins antispasmodic, calming, hypotensive, sedative
Esters analgesic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, balancing, tonic
Ethers analgesic, balancing, antispasmodic, sedative
Ketones antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antiparasitic, decongestant, expectorant, mucolytic
Lactones antifebrile, antiparasitic, calming, expectorant, immunostimulant
Monoterpenes analgesic, antibacterial, antiseptic, decongestant, expectorant, immunostimulant, tonic
Oxides antifungal, antispasmodic, decongestant, expectorant
Phenols antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiviral, immunostimulant, stimulant, tonic
Sesquiterpenes anti-allergenic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, blood/lymph decongestant, stimulant
If you consider that pharmaceuticals are nothing but laboratory-created chemical treatments for disease, you can begin to see how using a natural alternative can be so appealing.

And when you actually look into the chemistry of essential oils, you can begin to understand how they could work in staving off infections, reducing pain, or helping us sleep better.

While there are many benefits to these constituents, care must be taken with them as well.

Plant oils are highly condensed substances and possess the above in concentrated forms. Care must be taken with their use under any setting.

Natural does not always equal safe.

For instance, coumarins can cause photosensitivity to ultraviolet light, and phenols can be an irritant to mucosa and skin.

This is why there are warnings to not ingest oils or use them undiluted on your skin unless under the direction of someone qualified in their use.

How do essential oils work?
We know that we can get the benefits of oils, real or imagined, through inhalation, topical application, or ingestion.

But how essential oils work is a lot more complicated. The phytochemicals in the volatile oils of plants can number into the thousands.

These chemicals all work together to provide health benefits that many times just cannot be replicated in a lab, as it is impossible to get all of the naturally-occurring elements together in the same way that nature does.

Even researchers cannot answer the question of ‘why do essential oils work?’ in many cases. It is hard to tell how all of the building blocks work in the body to help us physically or emotionally.

There are just too many factors, and a lot more research needs to be done in many cases to prove more than just if they work.

Science needs to figure out just how essential oils work and why they have the effects that they do.

Conclusion
Modern medicine has come a long way, but it can be downright dangerous. Looking to alternative methods of treating symptoms and diseases is becoming increasingly popular.

As you can see, there is a long history of the use of plant essences to cure what ails us dating back to the beginning of recorded time. The Western world is taking notice of aromatherapy and for good reason.

Medical research and clinical trials are showing much promise in the use of essential oils to manage symptoms and in some cases, treat certain ailments.

When we look at what plant oils are made of, we begin to put the pieces together and see how they can help us in a myriad of ways.

So do essential oils work or are they just another medical sham?

I will let you make an educated decision based on what you have learned, and let the science guide you.

If you have found that they really work for you as many people have, you can rest assured there is scientific evidence backing some of those results.

Nonetheless, for them to be recognized as “medicine,” much more essential oil research needs to be done for them to become mainstream applications.

It must be noted that not all essential oil claims are real.

Then again, not all of the information that is put out by people debunking essential oils as gimmicks is real, either.

There is plenty of evidence-based information serving as proof that essential oils work at least to some degree.

So are essential oils worth it? Does aromatherapy really work?

Let me ask you this:

do essential oils do anything for you? Perhaps that is the best question.

If you decide they are right for you and your family, and they work for you, that is wonderful. But, remember that at their core, they are chemicals.

Just because they are natural, it does not make them automatically safe. After all, you wouldn’t just go into the woods and eat any berries you find or rub random plants all over your skin, right?

It’s the same thing with oils. Consider what they are, and be safe when using them.

Last edited:

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Best Essential Oil Brands
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN AN OIL BRAND:
If you’re starting to search for a good essential oil company, you’re bound to come across a whole bunch of brand names and associated reviews. In my opinion, the following matters when shopping for an essential oils brand you can trust:

• Are the essential oils sold 100% pure, without chemical fillers, additives or synthetics?
    • Where are the oils sourced and is there anything especially noteworthy about the company/supplier/distiller relationship?
    • Does the company send their oils to independent 3rd party testing, and do they make test results easily available to the consumer?
    • How long has the company been in business?
    • Does the company also offer related aromatherapy products for sale?
    • How accessible is the company’s customer service?
    • What price range are the essential oils sold at?
If you get green lights for all of the above, and you trust the brand and company, you’re likely going to be very happy when your essential oils kit arrives in the mail. If red flags raise up for you, whether by someone else’s review or simply by your own intuition, perhaps look into another brand. There are multiple professional, trustworthy, and reputable essential oil companies out there that are willing to sell you a great essential oil. It’s not just one company that has it all.

If you have any questions or comments at all, I’d love to hear from you. Enjoy the following brand reviews and comparison charts:

1. YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS
young-living-essential-oils-300x98.png

Young Living Essential Oils is one of the leading essential oil brands in the industry.

image.php
(4 / 5)
Founded in 1993 with headquarters in Lehi (Utah) and offices in Australia, Europe, Canada, Japan and Singapore, Young Living has grown to become a world leader in essential oils. Their company structure is one of “MLM”, meaning multi-level-marketing. This is a type of revenue-sharing model where people become independent distributors and then sign up their friends and family members to shop through them.

Personally, I am not a fan of this structure. But you can read more about it in the detailed brand review here.

QUALITY CONTROL AND STANDARDS

Get started with Young Living’s Everyday Oils Starter Kit Collection
CHECK PRICE

On the front of essential oils quality, these guys seem to be the real deal. They guarantee a Young Living Therapeutic Grade standard, which preserves the integrity and potency of natural essential oils.

What I found most impressive is that they control their product right from the very botanical seeds; cultivating, harvesting and distilling many of their essential oils right on their very own farms across the world. This gives Young Living the unique ability to verify their quality standards at every step of the process. For more information on this, check out their proprietary Seed to Sealproduction process.

I find it pretty cool that they use a gentle, proprietary steam extraction technique for distilling the most effective of essential oils. They also use cold pressing and resin tapping methods for select oils.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Customer service through the Young Living essential oils website includes a live chat, e-mail address and toll-free number.

PRICE RANGE

You can buy Young Living essential oils from Independent Distributors and certainly also on Amazon.com. They’ll be one of the most expensive essential oils you’ll buy, and you have to decide whether Young Living quality standards, production ethics and company structure are worth it to you! For some alternatives, please read on.

YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS REVIEW

2. DŌTERRA ESSENTIAL OILS
doterra-reviews-logo-e1536433990221.png

doTERRA was founded by people who previously worked at Young Living.

image.php
(4 / 5)
dōTERRA essential oils was founded in 2008 by a group of health-care and business professionals, some of which used to work at Young Living. The founders all shared profound personal experiences with the life-enhancing benefits of essential oils. As per their mission statement, they strive to “bring a new standard of therapeutic-grade essential oils to the world”.

Their headquarters are in Pleasant Grove, Utah, with offices around the world. Similar to Young Living, they are also a multi-level-marketing company with membership and wholesale programs.

Start with this inexpensive doTerra introductory essential oils kit
CHECK PRICE

Every batch of dōTERRA essential oils is subjected to the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® quality protocol, ensuring potency, purity, and consistency batch to batch. Unfortunately, this protocol is a company-internal process only, so despite its appealing name it is far from industry-encompassing.

On the bright side, dōTERRA sources their essential oils from growers across the globe who use a distillation process of low-heat steam distillation or cold extraction for select essential oils. Their global botanical network encompasses farmers and distillers in 40 different countries. dōTERRA offers full insight into the consumer journey from essential oil sourcing to delivering the bottle to a consumers’ hand, on their website Source to You. GC/MS quality reports are also available for download on this website.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

If you’re not satisfied with your purchase, you can return it for a 100% refund or 100% product credit depending a little bit on timeline and whether you’ve opened the product or not.

PRICE RANGE

While dōTERRA is also still in that higher price bracket, you can get started with a kit of 3 oils for around $20 on Amazon.

DŌTERRA ESSENTIAL OILS REVIEW

3. PLANT THERAPY ESSENTIAL OILS

The Plant Therapy Essential Oils Brand was established in 2011.

image.php
(5 / 5)
Plant Therapy sells high quality essential oils at a reasonable price. With a solid product line-up of over 125 single oils, 47 blends, 43 sets, 23 roll-ons, 24 diffusers, 20 carrier oils and multiple accessories, this is a one-stop-shop essential oil brand.

You’ll definitely also always find a good deal or promotion when shopping with Plant Therapy, so keep your eyes peeled for banners, ads, and giveaways on their website.

Plant Therapy’s popular 7 & 7 set is a perfect starter kit.
CHECK PRICE

Plant Therapy puts their oils through solid third party testing, and make all test results available for direct download on their website. They guarantee that all of their oils are 100% pure and of the highest quality.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Plant Therapy offers a 100% money back guarantee for 90 days within purchase. If for any reason, your purchase doesn’t fulfill your needs, you can return it for a full refund.

You can buy Plant Therapy products on their online store – or through Amazon.com. For any customer service inquiries, you may also use their toll-free phone number +1-800-917-6577.

PRICE RANGE

The price point of Plant Therapy oils is really fair. Please read my full review of the brand to learn more about company ethics, who’s behind the name, and what all this brand can offer you.

PLANT THERAPY ESSENTIAL OILS REVIEW

4. ROCKY MOUNTAIN OILS

Rocky Mountain Oils was established in 2004.

image.php
(5 / 5)
Rocky Mountain Oils (RMO) is a company based out of Orem, Utah, operating since 2004 and one of the leading essential oil brands available today. Not only can you buy essential oils at RMO, you’ll also find a comprehensive line-up of skin care, cleaning, wellness, body care, natural supplements, or aromatherapy blending supplies on their online shop.

Rocky Mountain Oils provides full GC/MS test results from an independent third-party test lab. Further, they have created their a proprietary S.A.A.F.E Promise™, which stands for Satisfaction, Authentic, Analysis, Free of Adulterants, and Effective and Pure.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Rocky Mountain Oils offers a full product line, including select USDA Certified Organic oils.
SHOP HERE

Rocky Mountain Oils offers a 90-day no hassle 100% money back guarantee – even if your oils are opened! If you are unhappy with your order for any reason, you can contact them and they will issue you a refund.

For your shopping convenience, they offer a 24/7 online store on their website. You also have access to a 1-800 number, which is: 1 (866) 493-8159 and you can call if for general questions, customer service inquiries, or even if you need help placing your online order from Monday-Friday 7:00am-5:00pm MT. It’s really convenient!

COST AND PRICE RANGE

For the quality offered, Rocky Mountain Oils is really competitive in their pricing. Their USDA certified organic oils will cost a bit more than their traditional non-organic counterparts, but even as such, they are still below the cost of a company like Young Living and therefore much more accessible to anyone getting started and still looking for rock-solid quality.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN OILS REVIEW

5. EDENS GARDEN ESSENTIAL OILS

Edens Garden has been selling essential oils since 2009.

image.php
(4.5 / 5)
The Edens Garden essential oil company ensures that every oil received by a customer is of their best possible freshness and quality. The oils are stored in a temperature sensitive room with minimal light exposure to ensure the therapeutic properties are not compromised.

Established in San Clemente, CA in 2009, Edens Garden CEO Grace says that her dream was “to build a business that valued people over profit and dealt honestly while offering direct access to the many benefits of essential oils.” This means, Edens Garden offers affordable essential oil products without compromising on quality.

At around $50, this is an amazing deal for an all-around essential oils starter kit.
CHECK PRICE

Edens Garden essential oils follows their cornerstone E.D.E.N.S. pledge, standing for Effective, Dedicated, Educated, Natural, and Safe. Their oils are all thoroughly tested in batches before they are poured into Edens Garden bottles. Learn more about the E.D.E.N.S. promise in my full review here.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

If you’re not happy with their product, you have a 30 day no questions asked refund policy available to you. Call Eden’s Garden at 949-388-1999 or email them at . Office hours are Monday-Friday, 7am-4pm PST.

COST AND PRICE RANGE

I love the approachability of Eden’s Garden essential oils. You can get their nice-looking “Best of the Best Set” for around $50 on Amazon. That’s a really nice-looking, home-use “medicine cabinet” starter kit that won’t break your wallet.

EDENS GARDEN ESSENTIAL OILS REVIEW

6. MOUNTAIN ROSE HERBS ESSENTIAL OILS

Mountain Rose Herbs is a company dedicated to all things organic.

image.php
(4.5 / 5)
The Mountain Rose Herbs essential oil company strives to sell the absolute finest quality of essential oils. All of their products are certified organic, and an attitude of “People and Planet before Profit” runs through their whole company. Their sustainability principles range from Zero Waste Certification to an Energy Efficiency operations program that helps reduce their company’s carbon footprint.

Popular Lavender Essential Oil is sold in Certified Organic.
SHOP HERE

Mountain Rose Herbs also holds quite a few certifications and awards pertaining to their product sourcing, including non-GMO project certification, and the 2013 Best Green Business’s To Work For In Oregon. Overall, this company is making quite a few awesome commitments to better, green business practices and if you like this ideology, this is your company to support.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Mountain Rose Herbs customer service includes a 1-800 number, fax line, mailing address, email support and you can even pick up your order in person at their Eugene, OR address. They have regular hours of operation of Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm PST.

COST AND PRICE RANGE

The Mountain Rose Herbs essential oils actually come in a variety of price ranges. I’ve found some of them quite approachable, but certain oils are again on the expensive side. It depends which one(s) you’re looking for, so the best thing you can do is have a look at their website and shop for the oils you’d like. Keep in mind, this will all be certified organic that you’re purchasing, so the extra dollars spent may be worth the investment.

MOUNTAIN ROSE HERBS ESSENTIAL OILS REVIEW

7. AURA CACIA ESSENTIAL OILS
aura-cacia-essential-oils.png

image.php
(4.6 / 5)
Aura Cacia Essential Oils is a unique brand in the mix of essential oil companies available on the market today because they’re a co-op structure (part of the Frontier Co-Op) rather than a corporation. With that, the leadership input is based on all member’s ideas, values, and desires, making for a community feel and direction.

Established in Eastern Iowa way back in 1976, they had started bottling essential oils by 1979 in response to requests from stores.

Aura Cacia’s Discover Essential Oils Kit is a Great Starter Option!
CHECK PRICE

Aura Cacia essential oils are packaged in amber glass bottles, which ensures that light does not disrupt the oils’ integrity and individual properties. The essential oil products are also 100% pure, not containing any additional bases, fillers, or additives. While not all of their oils are certified organic, they do have some certified organic oils in their line-up. If organic is important to you, shop for those specific product and look out for the correct “certified organic” label.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

If you’re not happy with a product for any reason, you have a 60 day refund window available to you, starting from the date of the invoice. You can ask for a refund or replacement. Products are also sold in “real” stores (not just online), so you are able to talk to a real person as well. For assistance with all returns please start by calling Customer Service at 1-800-669-3275.

COST AND PRICE RANGE

I love the affordability of Aura Cacia essential oils, while not compromising quality and testing protocols. Their bottles contain 7.4 mL instead of other “standard” 10 mL, so just be aware of that when comparing pricing. Learn more in my full review!

AURA CACIA ESSENTIAL OILS REVIEW

8. NOW FOODS ESSENTIAL OILS

NOW essential oils are part of the NOW Solutions brand.

image.php
(4.2 / 5)
NOW essential oils offers a comprehensive natural product line-up of considerable quality at an attainable price. As a company, they manufacture and distribute over 1,400 natural foods, dietary supplements, sports nutrition and personal care products.

Now Organic Orange Essential Oil
CHECK PRICE

NOW Foods runs an in-house full facility laboratory and utilizes third party testing only when necessary. They do put their oils through Gas Chromatography (GC) testing and Infrared Spectometry. A selection of their assortment are USDA certified organic essential oils, and their oils are natural and 100% pure. One jasmine blend is clearly labeled as synthetic, but it is the only one in their assortment and the reason is explained on NOW’s essential oils FAQ page here, basically justifying the synthetic scent due to the very high price of pure jasmine oil.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Getting in touch with customer service at NOW Health Group is a little bit less straight-forward. Their website lists all of their corporate offices (with phone numbers), but there is no one toll-free line mentioned for customer service or order inquiries. You can check online FAQ’s, fill out a product feedback form, or fill in an email inquiry form. For those of us who don’t like to deal via email, this could be the deciding factor between choosing NOW or another reputable brand that possibly offers easier access to talking to a real person. That said, NOW is definitely one of the bigger companies overall, and possibly they’d have huge call volumes if they opened their doors with a toll free line.

NOW FOODS ESSENTIAL OILS REVIEW

9. LISSE ESSENTIAL OILS

Lisse Essential Oils is a newer brand established in 2014.

image.php
(4.4 / 5)
The company Lisse Essential Oils is a family owned and operated business based out of Sylmar, California.

Established in 2014, it is one of the younger players but has grown to offer a substantial line-up of essential oils, synergy blends, carrier oils and aromatherapy accessories.

Lisse Essential Oils “Protect” Blend, 10 mL
CHECK PRICE

Lisse essential oils purchases their products from distributors around the globe. Sourcing essential oils from foreign countries is common practice in today’s essential oil marketplace. It allows each plant to grow and flourish in its natural environment before it is harvested. Lavender originates in the Mediterranean, Myrrh is sourced best from the Middle East or Africa, and Sandalwood is originally from India. True essential oils have to come from their country of origin to be their most original variety. Lisse essential oils are 100% pure and routinely tested for quality. You can request test results on their website.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Happy customers are of ultimate importance to Lisse essential oils. You can easily reach their customer service team Mon – Fri, 9 AM – 4 PM PST at 1-800-280-1973 or using the email contact form through their website. I’ve personally had great success talking with Lisse essential oils so I can say for sure there are real people with real passion behind this company.

COST AND PRICE RANGE

Lisse essential oils is one of the more cost effective essential oil brands available, along with Edens’ Garden, Plant Therapy and NOW essential oils.

LISSE ESSENTIALS REVIEW

10. THE ANANDA APOTHECARY

image.php
(4.7 / 5)
The Ananda Apothecary may be a slightly lesser-known name and strangely hard to pronounce. However, it’s a company of true essential oils people where you can buy almost any type and variety of essential oil you can imagine. Most importantly, they offer wild crafted essential oils, which are oils made from wild harvested plant materials and not plants grown on farms. You can also purchase organic oils certified by both the USDA and Ecocert ICO, and specially AGED essential oils. If all of these things are new to you, find more details in my full brand review here.

The Ananda Apothecary also offers aged essential oils.
SHOP HERE

The Ananda Apothecary essential oils come directly from distillers, farmers and producers. They do not cultivate their own farms, but rather work with people native to the craft in their own specific home country. GC/MS results are available for each batch of essential oils and directly downloadable from their website.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

The Ananda Apothecary operates business hours of Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm MST. You can call 1-303-440-3766 for Customer Service or contact custserv@anandaapothecary.com. This brand also offers a newsletter, social media channels, and a neat “Aroma Science” section where you can learn a whole bunch of detailed essential oil information from their staff chemist (who is also their most active writer).

COST AND PRICE RANGE

Essential oils prices at The Ananda Apothecary are fair, not too steep but also not too good to be true. Their specialty oils like Sandalwood, Helichrysum, or Rose are properly and fairly priced higher (as they should be), indicating a true quality product behind the label rather than a quick sale. Certain essential oils are just more expensive due to the incredible amount of effort and volume of plant materials required to produce the bottle of oil you buy.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
WHAT ARE ESSENTIAL OIL CARRIER OILS?

Carrier oils serve to dilute the essential oil before applying it to your skin. They act as the base for “carrying” the essential oil that is being mixed into it. Compared to essential oils, you’d use a greater amount of the carrier oil to make sure you properly dilute the essential oil.

This method of using essential oils also has the benefit of combining the effects of the essential oils PLUS those of the carrier oils, promoting smoother skin, relaxing the muscles, and a lot more. There are various carrier oils to choose from and it’s important to know which ones to use for what application.

This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.

THE MOST POPULAR ESSENTIAL OIL CARRIER OILS

Below is a list of some of the best essential oil carrier oils commonly used in aromatherapy that you can use to mix in your essential oils to have exceptional effects on the body. I’ve included information on scent, and texture so you can make your best choice. I also talk about how long these carrier oils stay good for, so you know how quickly you should use them up. Use the carrier oil to dilute the essential oil prior to topical application. You should always dilute your essential oils prior to applying them on your skin.

If in doubt, you can also do a skin patch test for the carrier oil you’re considering. Apply the carrier oil to the inside of your forearm and wait 24 hours to see if you have a reaction. Check for redness or itching.

HOW TO USE CARRIER OILS

To make a basic essential oils blend, combine one fluid ounce (30 mL) of carrier oil with 12 drops of essential oil. This makes about a 2% dilution, which is common and regarded as safe for adults. For children and the elderly, or if you know you have sensitive skin, start with a 1% dilution: 6 drops to 1 fl oz of carrier oil. This could possibly be all you need. Always start conservative! You can always add more essential oils later for a stronger aroma if you find that everything works well with your skin.

One last note before we dive in – if you’re allergic to any kind of nuts, be sure to use a carrier oil that is NOT a nut derivative.

TOP 12 CARRIER OILS GUIDE

1. SWEET ALMOND OIL

Plant Therapy Almond Oil – 4 fl oz (118mL)

I personally love almond oil, not only because it’s reasonably inexpensive, but it is also a very light oil, and very easily absorbed by your skin. Its is quite nutritious with lots of vitamins including A, B, D and E. Sweet Almond Oil has a high percentage of mono- and polyunsaturated fatty acids, which makes it work wonderfully for all types of skin. Apply it liberally if you suffer from itchy, dry or inflamed skin.

Almond oil is especially useful for a facial massage too, as it helps balance the moisture levels in your skin, helps to improve your complexion, and gives you that special “glow of youth”!

Almond oil has a very slight nutty smell, though not overwhelming at all. I find it quite sweet and pleasant actually. You can of course always add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to personalize your spa-at-home experience.

A quick word of warning if you’re allergic to peanuts: almond oil is often produced in the same factories as peanut oil. If you have peanut allergies, be cautious. It’s possible that you are also allergic to Brazil nut, hazelnut, almonds and walnut. Check it out with your health care practitioner first if you’re unsure.

Shelf life: Almond oil stores reasonably well. I wouldn’t go more than a year though.
Skin type: All skin types

Sweet Almond Oil was the first essential oil carrier oil I bought, and I’d recommend it any day!

SWEET ALMOND OIL

2. JOJOBA OIL

Plant Therapy Jojoba Carrier Oil – 4 fl oz (118mL)

Sweet Almond Oil’s most natural match is Jojoba oil. If combined, the two oils have qualities that are closest to the natural oils of our own skin, making them great for all applications from massage to cosmetics.

Coming with a golden color, a lot of people also consider jojoba oil as one of their most favorite oils to use. It doesn’t really have much scent on its own.

Derived from the jojoba beans, jojoba oil can be stored for a longer period of time compared to other carrier oils. It possesses an almost indefinite shelf life. It is
easily absorbed by the skin as jojoba oil mimics collagen (the main structural protein of the various connective tissues in our skin), making it relaxing to the skin, especially for those who have hypersensitivity, eczema, psoriasis, acne or blackheads. It’s a great carrier oil choice for irritated skin of any kind.

There are a lot of ways that you can use jojoba oil. You can use it either as is, or mixed together with other carrier oils (recipes below) to dilute your essential oil of your choice and create your very own blend. 118ml of Jojoba Oil cost only around $13 on Amazon.

Shelf life: Unlimited. Jojoba keeps indefinitely.
Skin type: All skin types

JOJOBA OIL

3. APRICOT KERNEL OIL

Plant Therapy Apricot Kernel Carrier Oil – 4 fl oz (118mL)

Coming from the kernel of the apricot plant, this carrier oil is known for its pale yellow color. What makes apricot kernel oil so great is that it works well when used for aging skin. It’s also a common ingredient for many cosmetics that can have the price of up to hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Just one or two drops of the apricot kernel oil can exhibit its benefits, providing a great deal of benefit for dry, inflamed, sensitive and even prematurely aged skin because of its content of oleic and linoleic acid, as well as vitamin A and vitamin E.

Apricot Kernel carrier oil is lightweight and smells faintly sweet; it can be absorbed by the skin without leaving a greasy or oily feeling after use. Apricot kernel oil can be used as-is, or together with other carrier oils since it still exhibits its full effects regardless of the mixture. Apricot Kernel oil is also recommended for facial application

Apricot kernel oil can leave stains on clothes so be careful. And you can get it for as little as around $8!

Shelf life: 6-12 months. Best when kept in the refrigerator.
Skin type: For dry and aging skin

APRICOT KERNEL OIL

4. FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL

Coconut Carrier Oil by Plant Therapy

Fractionated coconut oil contains a unique combination of fatty acids with powerful medicinal properties. There are countless health benefits to using coconut oil topically to your skin. Coconut oil comes in both refined and unrefined versions. For use in aromatherapy, you actually cannot use unrefined coconut oil since it sets like butter in the jar and can only be scooped out in chunks rather than a liquid version. Therefore, it is made available in the form of a “fractionated” carrier oil that is smooth, clear as water, with a light oily texture and very useful for aromatherapy applications.

Fractionated coconut oil will feel very smooth to the skin, but won’t clog pores. Coconut oil seems to be among the slightly more expensive carrier oils, a bottle of 118 ml is about $14 on Amazon. However, what’s great about the Plant Therapy brand of carrier oils, is that this one here comes with a handy pump for the oil bottle, which makes use and application so much easier!

Shelf life: Indefinite
Skin types: All skin types

FRACTIONATED COCONUT OIL

5. OLIVE OIL AS AN ESSENTIAL OIL CARRIER OIL

Any vegetable oil used for aromatherapy should be cold pressed.

Most commonly used in cooking, olive oil can also be used for cosmetics as carrier oil. Olive oil is packed with benefits including aiding
occasional ear discomfort, joint pain, support of rheumatic conditions, or hair care applications. Olive oil is one of the emergency oils that you can use if you don’t have anything else on hand. Its scent is sweet and pleasurable, though not completely neutral compared to other oils.

Using a small amount of olive oil together with other essential oil carrier oils lets you take advantage of the additional benefits that olive oil can bring, but perhaps avoid the scent if you find it otherwise overwhelming. Olive oil contains a lot of proteins, vitamins and minerals that can help the skin grow smoother and rejuvenate the hair’s lost shine and smoothness. However, it is a heavy and pretty greasy oil, so I would use it sparingly.

Shelf life: Can last up to 3-4 years, but best in small quantities used up within 6 months.

COLD PRESSED OLIVE OIL

6. AVOCADO OIL

Look for Deep Green Colour in Avocado Carrier Oil.

Avocado oil, similar to olive oil, can also be used in cooking or salad dressings. It also has quite a distinctive aroma that may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

If you’re thinking to use it as a carrier oil, know that is comes in two variations: A cold-pressed, unrefined version that’s deep green in color and the preferred choice for aromatherapy (and cooking); and also a refined version that’s more pale yellow, and used more commonly in the cosmetics industry.

Avocado oil is quite thick and heavy, though not overly greasy. Use avocado oil if you’re treating dry skin or wrinkles. It contains a high amount of vitamins and is a good source of fatty acids, which helps it get absorbed into the skin easily.

Avocado oil is great to use in a carrier oil blend as it does have strong skin soothing properties, but on its own I just think the scent is too overwhelming.

Shelf life: 1 year.
Skin types: For dry, sensitive, and mature skin

AVOCADO OIL

Carrier-Oils-Guide-Essential-Oil-Haven-p01.jpg

TOP 12 CARRIER OILS GUIDE - DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE EBOOK

Email Address *
Your Name

Simply type in your email address and name. I will send you the eBook straight to your inbox, plus you'll be signed up for the Essential Oil Haven newsletter with more fantastic resources for your health and well-being.

7. ARGAN OIL

The smell of Argan oil depends a little bit on the time the oil was harvested.

Argan oil is really nice to use on your face as it has restorative qualities for your skin cells. It helps with the skin elasticity, softens wrinkles and fine lines, and restores nutrient content to skin cells treating an array of skin conditions. It is very gentle, yet effective.

Argan oil is derived from argan trees of Morocco, which are nutrient-rich, large, majestic trees. Argan Oil is the natural moisturizer your skin needs, and helps to naturally and noticeably soften and heal your skin.

Argan oil has a sweet smell to it, and some batches of harvest can have quite a faint smell to it. It depends a little bit on the time the oil was harvested. Spring and summer harvests have a less deep smell, whereas fall and winter crops tend to smell a little more full-bodied.

Overall, to the new nose, it could be described as smelling ‘nutty’. Do not use it if you have nut allergies.

Shelf life: Around 2+ years
Skin types: For dry, sensitive, and mature skin

ARGAN OIL

8. ROSEHIP (SEED) OIL

Another facial skin care favorite carrier oil is rosehip oil – also known as rosehip seed oil. It is rich in Vitamin C and essential fatty acids, and protects the skin by increasing cell turnover. This aids the cells in your skin to re-generate, which is why some say rosehip oil contains anti-aging benefits. It is excellent for facial wrinkles, tissue regeneration, UV damage, burns or scars.

The anti-aging benefits of rosehip oil come due to its chemical structure. Rosehip oil contains many polyunsaturated fatty acids, and when absorbed through the skin, these fatty acids convert to prostaglandins, which are involved in cellular membrane and tissue regeneration.

Rosehip has a somewhat particular scent so I advise you to try a smaller sized bottle to start. It also has quite a short shelf life so use it up quickly before it goes rancid.

Shelf life: 6 months, then it’ll start smelling rancid or ‘off’.
Skin types: For mature skin

ROSEHIP SEED OIL

9. MACADAMIA NUT OIL

Macadamia Nut Oil is Safe to Use on Babies.

Macadamia nut oil is a fantastic choice for a carrier as it contains up to 23% palmitoleic acid, which is rarely found at such high levels in any other vegetable oils. Palmitoleic acid is a common constituend of the human tissue, particularly the skin of infants, children and teenagers, which has a natural youth, glow and elasticity to it. Naturally, these youth-like properties are desireable in any skin care, but particularly when treating aged or dry skin.

Given the high content of essential fatty acids, macadamia nut oil has restructuring properties, strengthening the skin’s lipidic barrier and thus improving skin moisturization.

If you’re considering Macadamia nut oil as an essential oil carrier oil, make sure you buy a cold-pressed variety. All carrier oils should be cold pressed for aromatherapy purposes. You can keep Macadamia nut oil in the fridge to extend its shelf life. If you have nut allergies, you unfortunately have to stay away from macadamia nut carrier oil, too.

Shelf life: 2 years in the pantry, 2-3 years if kept in the fridge.

MACADAMIA NUT OIL

10. EVENING PRIMROSE OIL

Evening Primrose oil is invaluable for Aromatherapists. It contains high concentration of Linoleic acid and a small percentage of Gamma Linoleic acid (fatty acids).

Used externally, Evening Primrose is healing to eczema, prematurely aging skin, dry or sxaly skin, dandruff, and small scrapes or burising. Evening Primrose helps
minimize wrinkles, dark circles around eyes and tired looking eyes. Its rejuvenating properties improve
firmness and skin elasticity.

Evening Primrose carrier oil is a pale yellow to golden yellow liquid that is typically cold pressed from plant seeds and also refined to remove some of the stronger scent notes. After application, the skin will have a pretty oily feel to it, so it is best blended into another carrier oil such as Sweet Almond Oil.

It’s recommended to keep cold pressed carrier oils in
a dark, cool place to maintain freshness and achieve maximum shelf life. If you keep your Evening Primrose oil refrigerated, bring it up to room temperature before
using, otherwise it’ll be pretty uncomfortable during massage.

Shelf life: 2 years
Skin types: For irritated skin

EVENING PRIMROSE OIL

11. SESAME SEED OIL

Sesame Seeds used to make Sesame Seed Oil

Sesame Seed oil is very stable, and is best used on those with dry or damaged skin. It contains Vitamin E, minerals, proetins, lecithin, and amino acids. It is an almost clear, maye pale yellow liquid that doesn’t smell like much of anything, and is widely used in natural cosmetics as an moisturizing component.

It has some inherent heaviness to it though, so use Sesame Seed Carrier Oil in combination with Evening Primrose or Rosehip Seed oil. This combination can help relieve eczema, psoriasis, rheumatism, arthritis, and will nourish and soften all skin types.

Sesame oil is rich in essential fatty acids and helps to maintain integrity of skin tissue while restructuring and moisturizing the skin. Its potent antioxidants are beneficial for reversing skin aging, increasing skin glow, and strengthening, conditioning and moistirizing skin and hair.

Warning: If you have and kind of nut allergies, do not use sesame seed carrier oil.

Shelf life: 2 years

SESAME SEED OIL

12. BLACK SEED OIL

Known as “the healthiest oil on the planet”, black seed virgin carrier oil is one my newer discoveries in carrier oils. It is also known as Black Cumin Seed Oil and extremely high in essential fatty acids, about 70-80%, which is comparable to Evening Primrose Oil.

Black seed contains an amazing amount of anti inflammatory, pain relieving, and antibacterial substances and antioxidants. These anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent choice for a carrier oil as it is in and of itself also a remedy for a variety of skin conditions stemming from inflammation. This particular type of black seed oil by Jade Bloom is a non – GMO oil, which is nice. It is extracted through a cold press process, it’s virgin and unrefined. The Jade Bloom brand guarantees a pharmaceutical grade and 100% pure oil attained through selective sourcing.

Smell-wise, black seed is earthy, deep and herbal, and therefore best mixed with other aromas that are also woody and strong, such as Juniper Berry, Atlas Cedar, Fir Balsam, Cypress, Sandalwood or Spruce.

It is recommended to avoid black seed carrier oil in pregnancy and lactation.

Shelf life: Approximately 2 years.

GET IT HERE

CARRIER OIL BLENDS

If you’re hesistant (or overwhelmed) about choosing just one carrier oil, I can happily recommend a few carrier oil blends to you. From Plant Therapy, you can get the “Clear Complex”, “DermiSoothe”, and “Near Perfection” carrier oil blends – all of which are mixed for a blend that’s good for various types of skin. In overview:

CLEAR COMPLEX CARRIER OIL BLEND

Clear Complex Carrier Oil Blend by Plant Therapy

The Clear Complex carrier oil blend contains Grapeseed Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, and Vitamin E Oil. If you have a good nose, you can definitely pick out the slight hemp seed oil smell. It’s very well balanced though and together, these amazing oils create a smooth scent. As a power pack, they will help your oily skin become healthier and blemish free!

Use this blend as your daily moisturizer for oily skin. Even oily skin needs moisturizing after daily exposure to the elements. Apply carrier oil (and any other essential oils you wish to add), directly to a clean face 1-2 times a day. Here are some amazing essential oils for skin care.

SHOP CLEAR COMPLEX

DERMISOOTHE CARRIER OIL BLEND

DermiSoothe Carrier Oil Blend by Plant Therapy

DermiSoothe works amazing on reddened, rough skin. The five carrier oils in this blend are combined to help soothe your skin, and smooth out the parts of your skin that are blemished.

For example, if you ended up with too much sun, windburn, winter chapped skin, or skin that is rough or red due to dietary intolerance, this carrier oil blend is for you! Apply topically on the affected areas as needed throughout the day. DermiSoothe Contains: Almond Oil, Apricot Oil, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, and Vitamin E Oil.

BUY DERMISOOTHE BLEND

NEAR PERFECTION CARRIER OIL BLEND

Near Perfection Carrier Oil Blend by Plant Therapy

The Near Perfection carrier oil blend helps reduce the appearance of skin imperfections and marks. Its revitalizing blend of 5 carrier oils include Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil, Tamanu Oil, and Vitamin E Oil. Tamanu oil is amazing on its own, whose oil is pressed from the dried kernel of the fruit of the tamanu tree. It does have a somewhat strong earthy, nutty scent, but it’s definitely something I love that about this carrier oil!

For achieving best results, use this blend two times daily on the affected areas. For 3-5 minutes, massage it on the areas that need it, gently, but thoroughly. You may need some patience here with yourself and your skin, as improvements may need weeks before they become visually noticeable.

This blend comes in three sizes for your convenience: 2 oz @ $11.95, 4 oz @ $14.95, and 16 oz @ $32.95. Once you’ve found your favorite(s), just order the big bottles like I do!

GET STARTED WITH NEAR PERFECTION NOW

THE BEST CARRIER OILS FOR FACIAL USE

Use an essential oil carrier oil to dilute your essential oils before applying them topically on your skin.

When it comes to caring for the skin on your face, more rules apply than on other parts of your body. You really have to take into account if you have very sensitive skin, or sensitive areas of your skin. Some people have specific needs for the so-called “T-Zone” on your face, which includes forehead, nose and chin.

Argan oil and rosehip oil both work great for use on your face!

NOT SURE WHICH CARRIER OIL YOU’LL LIKE?

I get like this all the time. I learn about all the options and then I think “well, now how do I know which one I’ll like?” I suggest you start with the Sweet Almond Oil. It’s very neutral, soft, and I find it very soothing.

SHOP FOR SWEET ALMOND OIL AT CA. $8.99 ON AMAZON

MAKE YOUR OWN CARRIER OIL BLEND

If you’re in a pinch, you can use olive oil as a carrier oil.

I love using essential oils in my diffuser, but it is often overlooked that you can also apply essential oils topically. With all topical applications of essential oil, you should always dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil as to avoid possibly burning your skin. This is especially true if you already know you have sensitive skin! So carrier oils are forgotten or overlooked. Essential oils do have their benefits but combining them with carrier oils just stacks their benefits. Choose any of these carrier oils and see how wonderful the effects become!

In essence, you probably want a carrier oil that is almost scent-free so that when you mix it with your chosen essential oil, all you smell will be the essential oil. On the other hand, you might like to go for the added health and beauty benefits of the carrier oil itself in your application, so your oil of choice may vary a bit.

It’s best for you to try the different carriers and decide for yourself which one(s) you like to work with.

CARRIER OIL MIXING RECIPES

If you’re wondering what the best ratios are of carrier oils to make the most commonly liked combinations, here’s some help for you:

1. ALMOND OIL AND JOJOBA OIL MIX

Combining these two oils is a match made in heaven – they have been used together for years. When combined, an almond oil – jojoba oil mix has qualities nearest to your own natural skin oils, making the mix suitable for most skin types. Use this combo for massages, moisturizers, or cleansing creams. The typical ratio to use is 3/4 parts almond oil and 1/4 part jojoba oil. If you’re measuring by teaspoons for example, that would make 3 tsp almond, 1 tsp jojoba. If you’re mixing larger quantities, scale as needed. Then, add essential oils.

2. USE PRE-MADE CARRIER OIL BLENDS

A quick and easy option is to buy a pre-made carrier oil blend that is balanced to achieve certain things. Plant Therapy carries some really nice carrier oil blends that I can definitely recommend. They all have a balanced aroma and aren’t too strong on any scent note. They come in handy containers with a squirt lid – or if you get the larger bottle size (16 oz. and up), it includes a hand pump for easy dispersion of the oil.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Safety when using essential oils
reading-instructions.jpg

Essential oils can be considered, fundamentally, as medication. Although derived from plants and natural resources they are still used as treatment for health ailments. The oil’s high concentration makes them very powerful and potentially dangerous substances if used incorrectly. It is imperative that you do thorough research before using any essential oil, because if used improperly they can cause serious health issues like allergic reactions, rashes, burns and long-term internal damage. The temptation to self-diagnose and self-prescribe can be a great influence in using essential oils, but without professional diagnosis and supervision you run a risk of causing yourself harm. With that in mind here are some very important guidelines to follow:

Avoid the use of essential oils (unless under medical supervision) if:
  • You are pregnant
  • You have a skin condition
  • You have asthma
  • You have severe allergies
  • You have epilepsy or are prone to seizures
  • You have heart disease
  • You have high blood pressure
  • You are on a course of treatment with prescribed medication
Rules for safe usage:
  • Many essential oils are too powerful to be applied directly to the skin undiluted (also known as “neat”), they must be diluted with a neutral carrier oil, such as jojoba oil, to avoid irritation.
  • Never use essential oils on or around the eyes or mucus membranes.
  • Several oils, like bergamot and other citrus, can cause allergic sensitivity to the sun and should be used with caution.
  • Children and the elderly can be extra sensitive to the effects of essential oils.
  • Essential oils are flammable, so keep them away from open flames.
  • NEVER INGEST essential oils unless it is under the close supervision and prescription of a clinically-trained medical or aromatherapeutic professional. Some oils can be toxic, and if taken internally may be fatal. If you don’t know the specific chemistry of the oil, do not take it internally.
We here at Your Best Digs take your health and safety very seriously, that’s why we spend so much time and effort researching products for you.

Now that we’ve laid out some ground rules for essential oils, let’s see what you can do with these little gifts from nature.

Uses for essential oils
Of course essential oils smell great, but there’s much more to them than just a pretty scent. There are three main techniques to make use of essential oils: aromatic, topical and internal.

Aromatic
Diffusion: This is the healthiest, safest and most effective method of use. The fragrances from essential oils that are detected through your sense of smell actually have profound effects on your body, mood and behavior. When the oils are diffused into the air the healing properties of the essences enter your body through your nose while you appreciate the pleasant smell. The best way to achieve these benefits is by using an essential oil diffuser. We reviewed these diffusers in-depth and found the Smiley Daisy to be the best.

As the vaporized microscopic particles come into contact with the soft and moist tissue inside your nose and sinuses their beneficial properties enter directly into your bloodstream and get dispersed throughout your body. At the same time they travel up the olfactory nerve (the one that operates your sense of smell) to the limbic region of your brain where you process feelings and emotions. This is also an important area of the brain involved in memory. Smell and memory are processed through the same part of the brain; that’s why when you smell cookies baking in the oven you may have flashbacks of childhood.

As you smell the beautiful aromas this triggers your brain and the cells of your body, affecting your mood to uplift or calm you, affecting your behavior to slow you down or excite you, affecting your thinking to help you clear your mind and think sharper while remembering important things.

And since the essential oil particles are entering your bloodstream, you are also getting the physical benefits they may offer like muscle relaxation, pain relief, improved digestion and more.

Another added benefit of diffusion is its ability to clean the air. When the air in a space is stagnant, smelly and unclean — like in the winter when your home is closed up — there can be infectious airborne bacteria, viruses and spores floating about ready to make you sick. But when the right essential oil is diffused, in the correct amount, you can actually kill those little buggers in the air before they get to you.

In a quote from aromatherapy expert, David Crow, he writes, “[T]he antimicrobial effects of essential oils are most potent not when the oil is used in liquid form… but when pathogens are exposed to the vapors of the oils.” Not only do the oils clean the air and get into your nose, but they are also penetrating your skin, getting into your bloodstream, protecting and healing you.

Don’t overdo it though. Remember, these oils are extremely concentrated. Prolonged exposure to essential oils can cause ill effects like headaches, nausea or other unpleasant symptoms. Vary your use with different oils of different chemical compounds so that they don’t build up in your system. And avoid letting your diffuser run all day, every day; there is a such thing as too much of a good thing.

Inhalation: With oils that are safe to use on the skin (know before you try), you can also take a single drop into one of your hands and rub your hands together to warm them up and spread the oil. Then cup your hands around your nose and take in a deep breath. Doing this, you can achieve the same mood and emotional benefits as with diffusion. A little goes a long way.

It’s good to note that most essential oils can lose their healthy powers when heated, so it’s best to avoid heat-based diffusion like candles and incense burners; stick with a good diffuser.

Topical
For cautionary reasons, it is safest to assume that all essential oils should not be applied to skin undiluted. Some are safe to use ‘neat’ right out of the bottle, while others can cause you great pain or irritation. Again, know all about your oil before you use it!

A typical dilution is around 2%, which means adding about 12 drops of essential oil to every one ounce of carrier oil. A carrier oil is a neutral nut or vegetable oil you use for dilution. Jojoba and argan oils are the most common and beneficial, but almond, grapeseed, olive, coconut, sunflower, avocado or kukui oils will work just fine.

Massage: Place several drops of your diluted oil mixture into your hand and rub them together. Then spread that oil onto your skin — or your partner’s skin — with long strokes. The warmth and friction of your hands will dispense the oil directly into the skin, muscles and bloodstream. Using the right essential oils can relax tension, relieve sore muscles and even improve your skin. Plus it just feels so darn good to get a massage.

Compress: For localized issues like aches or bruises, place about ten drops of essential oil into a bowl of hot water. Soak a clean cloth in this water solution, then place the cloth on the troubled area for about 10-20 minutes. Repeat if necessary. As before, make sure you know if the oil you use is safe.

Bath: Avoid dripping your essential oil directly into the bath water; you always want to mix it first with a natural emulsifier like honey, milk, a carrier oil, or even sea salt. Doing this will help emulsify and disperse the essential oils into the water. If you don’t do this, the oils will simply sit on the surface of the water and come into direct contact with your skin, possibly causing burns and dermal toxicity.

Try 5-10 drops of essential oil into ½-1 cup of emulsifier or salt, then stir that mixture into your warm bath water. Soak and relax for as long or as short as you wish as the oils penetrate your skin and stimulate your senses. Be aware that the overuse of essential oils in the bath can cause irritation, so choose only the mild and soothing extracts, and be smart.

Internal / Ingestion
Ingesting essential oils for health benefits has been prescribed for centuries by experienced professionals. This process, when administered safely and correctly under supervision, can have profound healing effects on your body with issues like digestion, immune defense and hormonal imbalances. However, ingesting the wrong oils — or even the right oils in the wrong portions — can have disastrous and permanent effects on your internal tissues and overall health, and worst of all, you may not even realize any damage has been done until decades later in your life.

In short: DO NOT TAKE ESSENTIAL OILS INTERNALLY unless they have been prescribed to you individually by a qualified and clinically-trained medical professional or Clinical Registered Aromatherapist. When working with essential oils you are ultimately playing with chemistry; if you do not know the specific chemistry of the specific oils, and what that specific collection of chemical constituents in that oil can do to your body, then avoid internal administration and stick with the aromatic processes.

The practice of taking essential oils internally, by mouth, has been a heated debate within the essential oil community. Since the recent rise of the multi-level-marketing essential oil companies, and other brands claiming that their oils are pure enough to eat, the idea of freely ingesting essential oils has plagued the minds of the average consumer.

In our research we came across a number of ill-informed consumers who readily believe that any essential oil, from any company, is safe to consume. Sadly, the exact opposite is true: ANY essential oil can be harmful if ingested improperly and without professional supervision.

Clinically trained professionals have spent years learning the delicate and complicated chemistry of essential oils and how they relate to the sensitive tissues of the human body, inside and out. Please, seek the guidance of a knowledgeable professional before putting any essential oil into your mouth.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
THE 10 ESSENTIAL OILS EVERYONE SHOULD STOCK UP ON
essential-oils-lemon.jpg

1. Lemon oil

Lemon oil is commonly used in the kinds of commercially available products you encounter every day. If you walk down the aisles of any grocery store, you’ll find everything from household cleaner to hand soap to flavored sparkling water with the essence of lemon. As is the case with many citrus oils, the scent closely mimics that of the fruit from which it’s derived: bright, light, zesty, and clean.

These days, of course, a lot of those flavors and smells are made artificially, but still, there’s a reason that lemon has become so universally identified with freshness and cleanliness: Its oil is a powerful antibacterial, astringent, and antiseptic agent.

There’s a reason that lemon has become so universally identified with freshness and cleanliness: Its oil is a powerful antibacterial, astringent, and antiseptic agent.

Diluted lemon oil can be wonderfully effective when it comes to skin care because of its high concentration of D-limonene, a compound that assists in diminishing the appearance of wrinkles, promoting circulation, and toning the skin. In fact, recent research showed that D-limonene has skin-repairing and anti-inflammatory properties.

The scent of lemon oil has also been shown to have a powerful effect on mood. One study’s findings suggest that lemon oil vapor has antidepressant qualities. Another compelling study found that the scent of lemon oil boosted participants’ moods, a finding confirmed through self-reported data as well as empirical data (elevated levels of the anti-stress hormone norepinephrine were measured in the blood of participants).

essential-oil-cinnamon.jpg

2. Cinnamon oil

If lemon oil is bright, cool, and invigorating, cinnamon oil is its opposite: sweet and spicy, musky and warm. For me, cinnamon conjures up a distinct mixture of sexy exoticness and cozy familiarity, which makes sense because it’s both a Far East import and a spice drawer mainstay.

Derived from both the bark and leaf of the Cinnamomum verum tree, it’s actually one of history’s oldest essential oils, with the Egyptians recording their extensive use of it in Ebers Papyrus, a medical text dating to approximately 1550 BC.

For me, cinnamon conjures up a distinct mixture of sexy exoticness and cozy familiarity.

At that time, cinnamon was a hot commodity. It was expensive and hard to get because Arab traders controlled most of the supply coming from Sri Lanka and India and—in a pretty savvy marketing tactic—they kept the true source of their supply a secret. Cinnamon oil was affordable only for the very wealthy—emperors, royals, and, later on, Europe’s elite. Fortunately for us, price and access to this super-useful oil are no obstacle today.

In aromatherapy, cinnamon essential oil can be used to help clear up chest colds. Applied topically, it can soothe muscle aches and pains, thanks to its antispasmodic and analgesic properties. It’s also an antiseptic and makes a powerful natural preservative. It is both antibacterial and antimicrobial, as well as being anti-inflammatory, and pain-relieving. Some studies have shown that cinnamon oil contains powerful antioxidants and could potentially be useful in fighting neurological disorders and heart disease.

essential-oil-lemongrass.jpg

3. Lemongrass oil

Google “lemongrass” and your search will most likely garner a bunch of hits for Thai restaurants in your local area (yum!). I’m all for a killer curry, but I’m even more into the plant’s essential oil.

Lemongrass is a fast-growing, tropical grass native to Sri Lanka and south India and is now cultivated in warm climates in Africa and Asia. The entire plant is utilized in everything from tea to cleaning products, and it has been used for years in Indian healing traditions to treat maladies like gastrointestinal issues and fever (it earned the nickname “fever grass”).

I like to use it for its cheerful, energetic scent alone, but there also happens to be plenty of evidence that it possesses powerful medicinal and pharmacological properties.

Lemongrass essential oil is derived from the steam distillation of the plant and, true to its name, it possesses a mild, sweet, lemony-yet-herbal aroma. I like to use it for its cheerful, energetic scent alone, but there also happens to be plenty of evidence that it possesses powerful medicinal and pharmacological properties, including the potential to slow the growth of cancerous cells and tumors.

Research also shows that lemongrass essential oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and can be a potent insect repellent. Its antifungal properties are especially helpful in combating the nasty yeast associated with dandruff. One study noted that participants who used a dandruff tonic with a 10 percent concentration of lemongrass oil saw a significant reduction in dandruff in as little as a week.

Personally, I love to add some lemongrass oil to my bath when I’m feeling sick.

essential-oil-clary-sage.jpg

4. Clary sage

Clary sage possesses myriad beneficial properties for the skin: It’s antibacterial, astringent, antiseptic, and can help improve circulation. I like the uniquely sweet herbal aroma of clary sage, which helps to cut through some of the more pungent ingredients used in natural skin care, too.

Clary sage has been lauded for its reputed ability to regulate hormones, and its scent is thought to have antidepressant effects.

Clary sage is a perennial plant that is native to the northern Mediterranean region and North Africa; its essential oil is derived via the steam distillation of the plant’s flowering tops and leaves. Although the ancient Egyptians used it in medicinal practices, it wasn’t until medieval times that clary sage really took off. During this time, doctors and herbalists used clary sage seeds to help treat vision problems; “clary” is derived from the Latin word for clear, “clarus.” And it was also used to flavor wine (and referred to as “muscatel sage” because of its similarity to German muscat wine). Someone, somewhere, got clever—maybe while drunk off clary sage wine?—and mashed up the two nicknames. Hence: clary sage.

Clary sage has been lauded for its reputed ability to regulate hormones, and its scent is thought to have antidepressant effects. A 2014 study of twenty-two postmenopausal women in their 50s—some of whom were depressed—showed that breathing diffused clary sage helped to alleviate participants’ depression by lowering cortisol levels and improving thyroid hormone levels. And a 2012 study revealed that clary sage—along with lavender and marjoram—makes an effective massage treatment for alleviating menstrual pain and cramping.

essential-oil-lavender.jpeg

5. Lavender oil

Okay, okay. I know you’ve heard about lavender oil so many times in your life (and in this book) that you’re rolling your eyes at me. Why did the Taylor Swift of the oil kingdom make it onto my top 10 list? Because the honest truth is that it’s impossible to deny how amazing lavender oil is.

First of all, what we call lavender is actually Lavandula angustifolia, one type of lavender among 39 total species. Different species have different properties, but all types contain large proportions of linalool, linalyl acetate, eucalyptol, and camphor. That’s a lot of components to have in high quantities, and it’s the reason it’s such a powerhouse essential oil. Lavender is: sedative, antispasmodic, anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antibacterial, anesthetic, immune-boosting, and antiviral.

Why did the Taylor Swift of the oil kingdom make it onto my top 10 list? Because the honest truth is that it’s impossible to deny how amazing lavender oil is.

It’s super safe, but it does have a high content of linalool, which can be sensitizing for some people. As with all essential oils, and ingredients in general, be sure to try a small amount on your skin, diluted at about six drops in one tablespoon of carrier oil, and watch for a reaction.

If your skin loves lavender, you can use up to a 50-50 mix of half lavender oil, half carrier oil in your DIY products. I use lavender in a million different ways, all day, every day.

essential-oil-tea-tree.jpg

6. Tea tree oil

Tea tree oil (also called melaleuca oil) is definitely enjoying a moment in the natural-beauty-world sun right now, and deservedly so. It’s pretty awesome stuff.

The only place that tea trees grow naturally is in Australia, but they grow super abundantly there. Traditionally, native Australian cultures used tea tree leaves to treat coughs and colds, heal wounds, and alleviate sore throats and skin ailments.

Tea tree oil is antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and exhibits anticancer activity.

Tea tree oil is antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and exhibits anticancer activity. It kills oral bacteria for up to two weeks, can be used for gingivitis, heals mild to moderate dandruff, kills the influenza virus, and has been shown to slow the growth of tumors in mice. This Australian wonder also works like benzoyl peroxide to treat acne. It takes longer, but causes fewer side effects, while being less drying than the common drugstore ingredient.

I put tea tree oil in virtually all of my DIY products; I recommend diluting to a 5 percent concentration, which is about 14 drops per tablespoon of carrier oil. One of my favorite ways to use it is to add a couple of drops to my store-bought mouthwash.

essential-oil-eucalyptus.jpg

7. Eucalyptus

Eucalyptus essential oil is definitely not for the weak. Even if you’ve never smelled it directly, you’ve probably smelled something that contains it—like Vicks VapoRub, maybe? The scent is similar to camphor (another ingredient in VapoRub, and also in Tiger Balm ointment) and slightly minty. It will clear your airways super quick and can take your breath away.

The scent is a little strong, but it really freshens up a room and makes the air feel clean.

Here’s what else it’s been shown to do: It works as a pesticide and has the ability to kill fungus, bacteria, insects, mites, and weeds—and it has been believed to kill the drug-resistant parasite that causes malaria. (It’s possible this is why eucalyptus trees were first planted in California in the 1850s. They were an invasive species from Australia but the government was worried about the spread of malaria. The trees helped!) It can also help boost your immune system and is anti-inflammatory.

I like to diffuse eucalyptus oil at home. The scent is a little strong, but it really freshens up a room and makes the air feel clean. It also makes a great pantry and closet moth and bug repellent.

essential-oil-rosemary.jpg

8. Rosemary oil

The scent of this oil is a lot like the herb you put in your food. It’s commonly found in skin care, especially natural products, because it not only has topical benefits but also will extend the shelf life of a product exponentially.

While it stimulates many bodily systems, it also decreases levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

Rosemary oil is a stimulant. When inhaled, the aroma of rosemary has been shown to increase heart rate, blood pressure, and respiratory rate and boost your immune system. It has also been shown to increase brain wave activity and aid the part of your nervous system that controls organ function. But while it stimulates many bodily systems, it also decreases levels of the stress hormone cortisol. And it does all of this while airborne, so you can simply diffuse it and gain these health benefits. If you like the scent of eucalyptus, you can combine it with rosemary to make your space smell like a forest.

/jarmoluk
essential-oil-orange.jpeg

9. Sweet orange oil

I was born and raised in south Florida. You know what they say about that, right? You can take the girl out of Florida but you can’t…okay, you get it. I love sweet orange essential oil. I think it is the best-smelling essential oil, period. It makes me happy and energized from one whiff, and in a weird way I believe that just smelling it can sometimes satisfy my sweets cravings (which are severe and constant because sweets are the best). So having orange oil around solves all of these problems for me in one inexpensive, convenient swoop.

In studies, it reduced anxiety when it was inhaled, and when applied topically, it slowed down participants’ pulse rates and breathing rates, while they also reported feeling more cheerful and vigorous.

It makes me happy and energized from one whiff, and in a weird way I believe that just smelling it can sometimes satisfy my sweets cravings.

It can be a little tricky to incorporate orange oil into your life because it doesn’t diffuse well, and, like lemon oil, it can make your skin photosensitive when applied topically, so I recommend using it in products you plan on rinsing off in the shower, and not going higher than 12 drops of essential oil per ounce of carrier oil. I find the smell of sweet orange oil to be so fragrant that you need only a very small amount when DIYing.

One important note: Make sure you purchase sweet orange oil and not bitter orange, since bitter orange oil is very phototoxic.

essential-oil-peppermint-2.jpg

10. Peppermint oil

You know what peppermint smells like. It’s already in your medicine cabinet, mixed into your toothpaste or mouthwash or shampoo. Or it might be in the chewing gum in your back pocket. But what you probably don’t know is why peppermint is in all of these products.

It’s incredibly invigorating, and having it literally right under your nose makes you feel refreshed all day.

Peppermint oil is made up mostly of menthol and menthone. It is a stimulant, antispasmodic, antiviral, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antioxidant. It is an effective treatment for headaches: Participants in one study reported a significant reduction in the pain of their tension headaches within 15 minutes, and the pain continued to drop for the following hour. It helps soothe nausea, improves concentration and memory, and is an analgesic, which means it numbs and kills pain on the skin.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The Complete List of ORAC Ratings for Essential Oils
You may already know that fresh fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants and that they are essential to consume for vibrant health and longevity. Essential oils also contain antioxidants but in a much more concentrated form.

The antioxidant potential of certain foods and essential oils are listed as their ORAC rating or Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity.

The ORAC scale was developed by USDA researchers at Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts in order to measure both the time and degree of free radical inhibition.

Below is a list of 75 essential oils and their ORAC rating per 100 grams or µTE/100 g.

1. Clove – 1,078,700
  2. Myrrh – 379,800
  3. Anise – 333,700
  4. Citronella – 312,000
  5. Coriander – 298,300
  6. Fennel – 238,400
  7. Clary Sage – 221,000
  8. German Chamomile – 218,600
  9. Cedarwood – 169,000
  10. Rose – 158,100
  11. Nutmeg – 158,100
  12. Marjoram – 151,000
  13. Melissa – 139,905
  14. Ylang Ylang – 134,300
  15. Palmarosa – 130,000
  16. Rosewood – 113,200
  17. Manuka – 106,200
  18. Wintergreen – 101,800
  19. Geranium – 101,000
  20. Ginger – 99,300
  21. Bay Laurel – 98,900
  22. Eucalyptus Citriodora – 83,000
  23. Cumin – 82,400
  24. Black Pepper – 79,700
  25. Vetiver – 74,300
  26. Petitgrain – 73,600
  27. Blue Cypress – 73,100
  28. Citrus Hystrix/Combava/****** Lime – 69,200
  29. Douglas Fir – 69,000
  30. Blue Tansy – 68,800
  31. Goldenrod – 61,900
  32. Melaleuca ericifolia/Rosalina – 61,100
  33. Blue Yarrow – 55,900
  34. Spikenard – 54,800
  35. Basil – 54,000
  36. Patchouli – 49,400
  37. White Fir – 47,900
  38. Tarragon – 37,900
  39. Melaleuca Cajeputi/Cajeput – 37,600
  40. Peppermint – 37,300
  41. Cardamom – 36,500
  42. Dill – 35,600
  43. Celery Seed – 30,300
  44. Fleabane, Canadian – 26,700
  45. Mandarin – 26,500
  46. Lime – 26,200
  47. Galbanum – 26,200
  48. Myrtle – 25,400
  49. Cypress – 24,300
  50. Grapefruit – 22,600
  51. Hyssop – 20,900
  52. Balsam Fir – 20,500
  53. Melaleuca Quinquenervia/Niaouli – 18,600
  54. Thyme – 15,960
  55. Oregano – 15,300
  56. Cassia – 15,170
  57. Sage – 14,800
  58. Mountain Savory – 11,300
  59. Cinnamon Bark – 10,340
  60. Tsuga – 7,100
  61. Valerian – 6,200
  62. Cistus – 3,860
  63. Eucalyptus Globulus – 2,410
  64. Orange – 1,890
  65. Lemongrass – 1,780
  66. Helichrysum – 1,740
  67. Ravintsara – 890
  68. Lemon – 660
  69. Frankincense Carteri – 630
  70. Spearmint – 540
  71. Lavender – 360
  72. Rosemary – 330
  73. Juniper – 250
  74. Roman Chamomile – 240
  75. Sandalwood – 160
27 Common Essential Oils With Unknown ORAC Values
Below is a list of common essential oils that do not yet have a listed ORAC rating.
  1. Angelica
  2. Bergamot
  3. Carrot Seed
  4. Cedar, Western Red
  5. Copaiba
  6. Davana
  7. Dorado Azul
  8. Elemi
  9. Eucalyptus Blue
  10. Eucalyptus Dives
  11. Eucalyptus Polybractea
  12. Eucalyptus Radiata
  13. Frankincense, Sacred
  14. Jasmine
  15. Lavandin
  16. Ledum
  17. Melaleuca Alternifolia/Tea Tree
  18. Mugwort
  19. Neroli
  20. Ocotea
  21. Palo Santo
  22. Pine
  23. Sage, Spanish
  24. Spruce
  25. Tangerine
  26. Tansy, Idaho
  27. White lotus

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Please consult a doctor or herbalist for proper application of oils. The perfumery note of an oil refers to the rate at which the oil evaporates. Top notes evaporate more quickly and base notes more slowly. As a result, top note scents are perceived more quickly than base note scents.

Essential oil Perfumery note Family Information
Amyris Base
Angelica Base
Anise Top
Balsam, Peru Base
Basil Top Herbal
Bay Middle
Bay Laurel Top
Benzoin Base Resin/ Sweet
Bergamot Top Citrus
Bergamot Mint Top
Bois-de-rose — see Rosewood Top/Middle
Boronia Middle
Cajuput Middle
Camphor Middle Minty/ Herbal
Cardamom Middle Spicy
Carrot Seed Middle Sweet
Cedarwood, Atlas Base Woody
Cedarwood, Virginian Base Woody
Chamomile, German Middle Floral
Chamomile, Roman Middle Floral
Cinnamon Middle Spicy
Citronella Middle Citrus/Herbal
Clary Sage Middle Herbal/Sweet
Clove Middle Spicy
Coriander Middle Spicy/ Herbal
Cypress Middle Woody
Dill Middle
Elemi Middle/Base
Eucalyptus Top Woody
Eucalyptus, Lemon Top/Middle Citrus/Woody
Eucalyptus Radiata Top Herbal/Woody
Fennel Top/Middle Herbal/Spicy
Fir Needle Middle
Frankincense Base Sweet/Spicy/Woody
Galbanum Top
Geranium Middle Floral
Geranium, Rose Middle Floral/Sweet
Ginger Middle/Base Spicy
Grapefruit Top Citrus
Helichrysum Middle
Honeysuckle Middle
Hyssop Middle
Immortelle — see Helichrysum Middle
Jasmine Middle Floral
Juniper Berry Middle Woody
Kanuka Middle
Lavandin Middle
Lavender Top/Middle Floral
Lemon Top Citrus
Lemongrass Top Citrus
Lime Top Citrus
Linden Blossom Middle
Mandarin Top Citrus
Manuka Middle
Marjoram Middle
May Chang (Litsea Cubeba) Middle Citrus
Melissa Middle
Momordica charantia Middle
Myrrh Middle/Base Spicy
Myrtle Top/Middle
Myrtle, Lemon Top
Neroli Top/Middle
Niaouli Top
Nutmeg Middle
Oakmoss Base
Olibanum — see Frankincense Base
Orange, Bitter Top Citrus
Orange, Sweet Top Citrus
Oregano Middle Spicy
Palmarosa Middle Floral
Parsley Middle Herbal
Patchouli Base Spicy/Woody
Pepper, Black Middle/Base
Peppermint Top Minty/Herbal
Petitgrain Top Floral/Woody
Pine Top Woody
Ravensara Top
Rose Middle
Rosemary Middle Herbal
Rosewood Middle Floral/Spicy
Sandalwood Base Sweet/Woody
Spearmint Top Minty
Spikenard Base
Spruce Middle
Tagetes Top
Tangerine Top
Tea Tree Middle Herbal
Thyme Middle
Tobacco Base
Tuberose Middle
Turmeric Base Herbal/Woody
Vanilla Base Sweet
Vetiver Base Woody
Violet Leaf Middle
Yarrow Middle
Ylang Ylang Middle/Base Floral

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Please consult a doctor or herbalist for proper application of oils. The perfumery note of an oil refers to the rate at which the oil evaporates. Top notes evaporate more quickly and base notes more slowly. As a result, top note scents are perceived more quickly than base note scents.

Essential oil Perfumery note Family Information
Amyris Base
Angelica Base
Anise Top
Balsam, Peru Base
Basil Top Herbal
Bay Middle
Bay Laurel Top
Benzoin Base Resin/ Sweet
Bergamot Top Citrus
Bergamot Mint Top
Bois-de-rose — see Rosewood Top/Middle
Boronia Middle
Cajuput Middle
Camphor Middle Minty/ Herbal
Cardamom Middle Spicy
Carrot Seed Middle Sweet
Cedarwood, Atlas Base Woody
Cedarwood, Virginian Base Woody
Chamomile, German Middle Floral
Chamomile, Roman Middle Floral
Cinnamon Middle Spicy
Citronella Middle Citrus/Herbal
Clary Sage Middle Herbal/Sweet
Clove Middle Spicy
Coriander Middle Spicy/ Herbal
Cypress Middle Woody
Dill Middle
Elemi Middle/Base
Eucalyptus Top Woody
Eucalyptus, Lemon Top/Middle Citrus/Woody
Eucalyptus Radiata Top Herbal/Woody
Fennel Top/Middle Herbal/Spicy
Fir Needle Middle
Frankincense Base Sweet/Spicy/Woody
Galbanum Top
Geranium Middle Floral
Geranium, Rose Middle Floral/Sweet
Ginger Middle/Base Spicy
Grapefruit Top Citrus
Helichrysum Middle
Honeysuckle Middle
Hyssop Middle
Immortelle — see Helichrysum Middle
Jasmine Middle Floral
Juniper Berry Middle Woody
Kanuka Middle
Lavandin Middle
Lavender Top/Middle Floral
Lemon Top Citrus
Lemongrass Top Citrus
Lime Top Citrus
Linden Blossom Middle
Mandarin Top Citrus
Manuka Middle
Marjoram Middle
May Chang (Litsea Cubeba) Middle Citrus
Melissa Middle
Momordica charantia Middle
Myrrh Middle/Base Spicy
Myrtle Top/Middle
Myrtle, Lemon Top
Neroli Top/Middle
Niaouli Top
Nutmeg Middle
Oakmoss Base
Olibanum — see Frankincense Base
Orange, Bitter Top Citrus
Orange, Sweet Top Citrus
Oregano Middle Spicy
Palmarosa Middle Floral
Parsley Middle Herbal
Patchouli Base Spicy/Woody
Pepper, Black Middle/Base
Peppermint Top Minty/Herbal
Petitgrain Top Floral/Woody
Pine Top Woody
Ravensara Top
Rose Middle
Rosemary Middle Herbal
Rosewood Middle Floral/Spicy
Sandalwood Base Sweet/Woody
Spearmint Top Minty
Spikenard Base
Spruce Middle
Tagetes Top
Tangerine Top
Tea Tree Middle Herbal
Thyme Middle
Tobacco Base
Tuberose Middle
Turmeric Base Herbal/Woody
Vanilla Base Sweet
Vetiver Base Woody
Violet Leaf Middle
Yarrow Middle
Ylang Ylang Middle/Base Floral

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
Subscribed.
I've always wanted to learn more about oils.
Not gonna side hustle but will get my knowledge up.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
List of Essential Oils for Spring
Floral / Energizing / Herbaceous / Sweet Essential Oils and Absolutes
Spring Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
Below are several basic springtime diffuser blends. Create the blends by adding the proper amount of essential oils to a dark-colored glass bottle. Add the appropriate number of drops from your created blend to your diffuser following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Be sure and familiarize yourself using reputable sources for the safety and contraindications of all oils you choose to use. Make the smallest possible blend first to make sure you like the blend before doubling, tripling, etc. the recipe.

Please be responsible to find out the specific safety precautions and contraindications of the oils in the blends you choose to use.

Spring Blend #1
Spring Blend #2
Spring Blend #3
Spring Blend #4
Spring Blend #5
The above essential oil blends are only several of an infinite possibility of combinations.

Citrus Essential Oils
Citrus oils, especially Sweet Orange Essential Oil is an inexpensive oil that can be included in diffuser blends all year round. See AromaWeb's Citrus Essential Oil article for descriptions of summery citrus essential oils.

Natural Insect Repellent Recipe
A number of essential oils also act as natural insect repellents. These oils include Citronella, Catnip, Lavender, Lemongrass and Eucalyptus. For a natural insect repellent recipe that uses commonly available essential oils, refer to AromaWeb's Aromatherapy Insect Repellent Recipe.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Seasonal Essential Oils for Summer
Cooling / Floral / Energizing / Herbaceous / Sweet / Summery Essential Oils and Absolutes
Cooling Essential Oils
Read Essential Oils That Help Cool You Down When You're Hot for a list of essential oils that are particularly cooling and that are useful to enjoy on hot summer days. The article includes suggested recipes and tips.

Summer Essential Oil Diffuser Blend Examples
Below are several example summertime diffuser blends. Create the blends by adding the proper amount of essential oils to a dark-colored glass bottle. Add the appropriate number of drops from your created blend to your diffuser following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Be sure and familiarize yourself using reputable sources for the safety and contraindications of all oils you choose to use. Make the smallest possible blend first to make sure you like the blend before doubling, tripling, etc. the recipe.

Please be responsible to find out the specific safety precautions and contraindications of the oils in the blends you choose to use.

Blend #1
Blend #2
Blend #3
Blend #4
Blend #5
The above blends are only several of an infinite possibility of combinations.

Citrus Essential Oils
Citrus oils, especially Sweet Orange Essential Oil is an inexpensive essential oil to include in diffuser blends all year round. See AromaWeb's Citrus Essential Oil article for descriptions of summery citrus essential oils.

Natural Insect Repellent Recipe
A number of essential oils also act as natural insect repellents. These oils include Citronella, Catnip, Lavender, Lemongrass and Eucalyptus. For a natural insect repellent recipe that uses commonly available essential oils, refer to AromaWeb's Aromatherapy Insect Repellent Recipe.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Essential Oils for Autumn (Fall)
Warming /Spicy / Resinous / Woody Essential Oils and Absolutes
Blending Spice Oils
Spice essential oils can be quite strong. When I create a seasonal autumn essential oil diffuser blend, I typically start with a single essential oil that I particularly enjoy and then complement it by adding spice oils in low proportion.

Citrus oils, especially Sweet Orange Essential Oil blend well with the spice oils. Orange essential oil is especially abundant and is one of the most affordable of essential oils. It has few contraindications and most people love the aroma. During the chilly fall months, I love combining a few drops of ginger, cinnamon, clove, and/or patchouli with Orange, Mandarin or Tangerine. Working with the other citrus oils like Bergamot, Lemon, Lime and Grapefruit and the oils in the above list can lead to some lovely combinations.

Autumn Essential Oil Diffuser Blend Examples
Below are 3 example autumn diffuser blends. Create the blends by adding the proper amount of essential oils to a dark-colored glass bottle. Add the appropriate number of drops from your created blend to your diffuser following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Blend #1
Blend #2
Blend #3
Coniferous Essential Oils Are Also Nice in Fall Blends
Though more traditionally associated with Christmas and wintertime, I also like incorporating coniferous oils like Cypress, Fir Needle, Juniper Berry and Scotch Pine into my autumn blends.

mailboxpimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Essential Oils for Christmas
Warming / Spicy / Resinous/Woody / Spiritual Essential Oils and Absolutes
Blending Spice and Mint Oils
Spice and Mint essential oils can be especially strong. When I create a seasonal essential oil diffuser blend that is intended to highlight a particular spice or mint oil, I either use the oil in very low quantity or include it in a blend at low proportion.

Citrus oils, especially Sweet Orange Essential Oil blend well with the spice oils. Some individuals like me also enjoy blending mints with the citrus and woody oils. Orange essential oil is especially abundant and is one of the most affordable of essential oils. It has few contraindications and most people love the aroma. During the chilly fall months, I love combining a few drops of ginger, cinnamon, clove, and/or patchouli with Orange, Mandarin or Tangerine. Working with the other citrus oils like Bergamot, Lemon, Lime and Grapefruit and the oils in the above list can lead to some lovely combinations.

A Warning About Applying Spice and Mint Oils to the Skin
My focus within this article is in selecting oils for diffusion. When creating blends and topical products that you apply to your skin, remember that many of the spice oils can cause skin irritation and should be used as incredibly low dilutions, if at all. For more information, read Essential Oils That May Cause Dermal Irritation and Skin Sensitization.