Music News: Sean Combs blasts Recording Academy at Clive Davis gala: ‘Black music has never been respected by the Grammys’

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Right. Even worse, he doesn't even need to start his own. There are already 2 or 3 Black music award shows. Just go to them. I guarantee you he doesn't go to the image awards as often as the grammies he'll go to the hip-hop award shows every now and then , the ones where people get shot, arrested , beat up. Some respect for "the culture". ThIs shits a joke. Say something about injustice (related to a damn award show) and you get clicks. Way more clicks than if he had just accepted this award that nobody ever heard of before today. And he did still accept the award.

It’s makes no sense to me. Who would go and support any establishment you thought was racist and didn’t treat you with a certain amount of respect? I wouldn’t go to Landry seafood if they presented some sort racism to me, and dam sure wouldn’t support them every week and ask them to stop being racist and treat me fairly,

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
It’s makes no sense to me. Who would go and support any establishment you thought was racist and didn’t treat you with a certain amount of respect? I wouldn’t go to Landry seafood if they presented some sort racism to me, and dam sure wouldn’t support them every week and ask them to stop being racist and treat me fairly,
Grammies have been hosted by a Black person for 8 of the last 10 years, mostly by LL, The artists with the most noms have been mostly Black, and performers come from every background, with no lack of Black people.

Before Diddy gave his speech for this year, they already had the lineup, which included Lil Nas X, Nas, Lizzo, usher, a Niosey Hussle tribute, HER, Gary Clark Jr, the Roots, and a bunch of other people I can't even name off the top of my head. And Puffy himself , was nominated for some kinda icon award , which is why we're even hearing about this shit. The grammies has more R&B and rap categories than they do for country, pop, rock, or anything else. Wtf is this guy talking about?

The Roots have had an annual Grammy preshow every year for about 10 years. Jay Z had had his big Grammy brunch for the past few. They don't have soultrain award preshows and brunches do they? This s rich people associating their bullshit with real Black struggles for profit. Of all the industries we may have a problem getting In, singing and dancing ain't one of em.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
Yes.
Because this nigga is the king of all grandstanders!
Dude has exploited people at every turn. This nigga had a squad full of producers and took credit every opportunity he got for "production" when he don't really do shit. When have you seen Puffy play an instrument or even throw a beat together? This is a dude that exploited the SHIT out of his so-called "friend"'s death. We've sat by and watched this foul nigga out on front street for years now. So NO, he is NOT the person to be making that speech when he himself has exploited his own people in the same way.
Fuck him and his bullshit speech.

2 ONE 3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes.
Dude has exploited people at every turn. This nigga had a squad full of producers and took credit every opportunity he got for "production" when he don't really do shit. When have you seen Puffy play an instrument or even throw a beat together? This is a dude that exploited the SHIT out of his so-called "friend"'s death. We've sat by and watched this foul nigga out on front street for years now. So NO, he is NOT the person to be making that speech when he himself has exploited his own people in the same way.

all facts

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
Yes.
I don't know what that has to do with my post but what I can tell you is that a couple of those producers have given him credit for his involvement in the production.

Mark 1:35

Last edited:

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
When racist are placed in charge expect decisions that'll favor their kind. It's a elementary as that.

I am happy to see some of our people finally speaking up. This is not a new issue, its been this way from the beginning.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
When racist are placed in charge expect decisions that'll favor their kind. It's a elementary as that.

I am happy to see some of our people finally speaking up. This is not a new issue, its been this way from the beginning.

Why speak up?

Why not change and create our own? Support the ones that present? Why do any celebrities need white acceptance? Grammy,Oscar, golden globes etc

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered
The Roots have had an annual Grammy preshow every year for about 10 years. Jay Z had had his big Grammy brunch for the past few. They don't have soultrain award preshows and brunches do they? This s rich people associating their bullshit with real Black struggles for profit. Of all the industries we may have a problem getting In, singing and dancing ain't one of em.

Damn. All facts.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don't know what that has to do with my post but what I can tell you is that a couple of those producers have given him credit for his involvement in the production.

Mark 1:35

:rolleyes2: Oh, well since a nigga on his payroll confirms it, then it must be true.
Seems legit.:lol:

By the way, there is a difference between a producer and a beatmaker. This dude is a beatmaker.
Timbo, Storch, Teddy, Ye, etc. can hand you a finished track that don't need anything but vocals.
Some dudes are just okay at making 4-8 bar loops, throwing in a couple of drops and calling them songs.
This nigga had nerve enough to mention his name alongside Q. Quincy Jones is a COMPOSER. That is so far beyond beatmaking, it ain't funny.
Anyway, all of the aforementioned niggas can be found somewhere on youtube actually putting together tracks.
Phluffy can't. The only thing I have seen this nigga do is executive produce - i.e., pay for shit. I'll give him credit for that. All of the other shit he takes credit for, though? Nah.
Hey, I appreciate you taking the time to find and post the clip, though. Respect.

BKF

Rising Star
Registered
:rolleyes2: Oh, well since a nigga on his payroll confirms it, then it must be true.
Seems legit.:lol:

By the way, there is a difference between a producer and a beatmaker. This dude is a beatmaker.
Timbo, Storch, Teddy, Ye, etc. can hand you a finished track that don't need anything but vocals.
Some dudes are just okay at making 4-8 bar loops, throwing in a couple of drops and calling them songs.
This nigga had nerve enough to mention his name alongside Q. Quincy Jones is a COMPOSER. That is so far beyond beatmaking, it ain't funny.
Anyway, all of the aforementioned niggas can be found somewhere on youtube actually putting together tracks.
Phluffy can't. The only thing I have seen this nigga do is executive produce - i.e., pay for shit. I'll give him credit for that. All of the other shit he takes credit for, though? Nah.
Hey, I appreciate you taking the time to find and post the clip, though. Respect.
A nigga on his payroll? Well you are the person who brought up The Hitmen.
D Dot was a part of The Hitmen.
Here's another guy that was a part of The Hitmen.

Mark: 15:00

Here's another guy

Mark 0:50

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The Grammys Can’t Go On Like This
By Craig Jenkins@CraigSJ
This article was featured in One Great Story, New York’s reading recommendation newsletter. Sign up here to get it nightly.
The Grammys struggled to lift spirits and bring people together but succeeded only intermittently between moments of abject chaos and memories of fresh losses. Photo: John Shearer/Getty Images for The Recording Academy
This was always going to be a heavy Grammy ceremony, but there was no way to tell just how heavy it would get. Upheaval at the highest levels of the Recording Academy had muddied the days leading up to the show. On January 16, it was announced that Academy president and CEO Deborah Dugan — hired last year to replace longtime figurehead Neil Portnow after he advised women in the music industry to “step up” to gain better representation on the show — had been abruptly placed on administrative leave. Dugan alleges that she was a victim of sexual harassment and discrimination during her tenure as head of the Recording Academy, that her ideas about bringing greater diversity to the organization were met with a mix of glib indifference and outright obstinance, and that initiatives announced after she was put on leave were actually ideas she had personally green-lit and were just being rolled out to help the Academy keep up appearances. The show needed to be caustic and political, to give a class of young and promising pop stars space to read the riot act to the old dinosaurs, but calamity had other plans.
The Sunday helicopter crash that claimed the lives of NBA veteran Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna, and several others cast a pall over the Grammys, fatefully staged at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, which had served as a home base for Bryant in 17 of his 20 years as a Laker — and, last night, as a meeting ground for fans and players grieving through the news of his passing. The mood outside filtered into the show inside, as presenters and performers attempted to strike a balance between remembrance and uplift. Lizzo opened the show by dedicating it to Bryant. Lil Nas X sang a bit of “Old Town Road” next to a Bryant jersey. The all-star hip-hop tribute to Nipsey Hussle, featuring Meek Mill, YG, John Legend, Roddy Ricch, and Kirk Franklin, paid respects to both the fallen rapper and the sports figurehead whose losses bookended a tumultuous year for lovers of L.A. culture. The Grammys struggled to lift spirits and bring people together, succeeding only intermittently between moments of chaos and memories of fresh losses.

ADVERTISEMENT

As host for the Grammy’s, Alicia Keys took on the unenviable task of marshaling the conflicting energies the evening necessitated. Bringing Boyz II Men out to revisit their cover of G.C. Cameron’s “It’s So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday” was the purest, saddest acknowledgment of what many viewers inside and far beyond Staples were feeling last night, a necessary beat to cry together in a room whose significance had turned grim in a flash. Keys’s opening monologue, delivered in part over piano (to the tune of a Lewis Capaldi song), was by turns both the earliest sign that we were in for multiple hours of taxing, incongruous moods and the only time the allegations between Dugan and Portnow were even tacitly mentioned: “We refuse the negative energy. We refuse the old systems … We want to be respected and safe in our diversity. We want to be shifting to realness and inclusivity,” Keys said.
Get unlimited access to Vulture and everything else New York
LEARN MORE »
It was a big check that the four-hour broadcast couldn’t cash, as the night ping-ponged between good ideas executed strangely and shaky ones delivered in undue confidence. Aerosmith’s performance of the 1993 hit “Living on the Edge” (the chorus of which goes, “You can’t help yourself from falling”) on a stage decorated with flames and skulls was bafflingly inappropriate. Outgoing executive producer Ken Ehrlich’s tribute — a star-studded rendition of the staple from the Fame musical “I Sing the Body Electric” that got off to a jarringly rocky start trying to squeeze Camila Cabello into the mix — depicted the widening gulf between Grammy brass and industry talent so neatly that the audience cam couldn’t help but cut to Ariana Grande, who had accused Ehrlich of lying about the reasons she skipped last year’s show after he had alienated the pop-radio heavyweight during preshow negotiations. This year’s solution was to give as much face time to as many pop stars under 40 as were willing to show and to give medleys to Lil Nas X, Ariana Grande, the Jonas Brothers, and Tyler, the Creator. But for every notable musician who did show, there was one who didn’t.
Absent from “music’s biggest night” were a disconcerting number of the industry’s most successful stars: Taylor Swift didn’t show, nor did Drake, Future, Beyoncé, Frank Ocean, Jay-Z, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, and Kanye West, who instead held a midnight Sunday Service event on West Coast time that suggested he had been in the area. We were told Dave Chappelle was not around to accept the award for Best Comedy Album, his third consecutive win in the category in a row, but someone who certainly looks like him could be seen seated in the audience between country stars Brandi Carlile and Tanya Tucker, who presented the award and received it in his absence. Was Chappelle late? Did a soft Grammy boycott happen this year? Diddy delivered harsh words at Clive Davis’s preshow party: “Truth be told, hip-hop has never been respected by the Grammys. Black music has never been respected by the Grammys to the point that it should be.”
Points were made. Only three black artists have won Album of the Year in the 21st century, and the last, jazz pianist Herbie Hancock, who won for the Joni Mitchell tribute album River: The Joni Letters, was way back in 2008. The hip-hop and R&B awards are constantly being shuffled out of the broadcast, so if you skipped the preshow, you might have thought Lizzo, the evening’s most nominated act, had won only Best Pop Solo Performance (for “Truth Hurts”). The message, that hip-hop and R&B are only sporadically deserving of top honors, is hard to handle in the era of Beyoncé, Rihanna, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar, all of whom made era-defining records over the past decade only to be largely shut out of the top honors at what felt like the peak of their creative powers — and in favor of Adele, Ed Sheeran, Swift, and others whose music is geared for broader mainstream appeal. The goodwill engendered last year by Childish Gambino’s wins for Record and Song of the Year dried up. Latinx performers got their trophies before the show and were represented in performances only by Rosalía and Cabello (the latter literally sang twice). The lone acknowledgment of a busy year for K-pop was a brief appearance from BTS, who sang a fraction of their Lil Nas X collaboration, “Seoul Town Road,” in a medley of “Old Town Road” remixes.
Billie Eilish’s history-making sweep of Best New Artist and Album, Record, and Song of the Year — the first time a performer has done so since easy-listening star Christopher Cross pulled it off in 1981 and the first time in 62 Grammys ceremonies when a teen was declared to have the best album on her first attempt at one — shouldered some of the burden for the Academy’s questionable choices last night. Preexisting frustrations and the ceremony’s dubious timing made what ought to have been a well-deserved celebration of one of last year’s best, most successful pop albums run a little catty. Notoriety breeds scrutiny. Familiarity breeds contempt. In a night full of pop stars being spotlighted at the cost of face time for hip-hop artists, Eilish’s gothic Gucci threads and AAVE vocal affectations are bound to make her a centerpiece for some of the anger the show aroused in the viewing audience, the same way Grande caught smoke upon the release of “7 Rings.” The Academy’s thinking, presumably, isn’t sinister; at a time when pop music’s guard is changing, the members went all in on one of the youngest, most promising prospects. Thing is, with Lil Nas X present as a reminder that “Old Town Road” smoked “Bad Guy” on the charts all summer and with the breakthrough year that Lizzo had, Eilish’s sweep seemed all the more jarring.
Bright spots in a night that dragged like hell included Tyler, the Creator’s triumphant performance of IGOR’s “Earfquake” and “New Magic Wand.” The first-time winner then ripped the show a new one for shrinking his album’s mellifluous blend of soul, trap, and rock into a rap category and for the outdated, unsubtle coding of “urban” as a descriptor for black music. Eilish and Finneas were gracious and mercifully curt in their speeches and quietly devastating in their performance of the When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? highlight “When the Party’s Over.” The Nipsey tribute was heartwarming, as were tributes to folk legend John Prine by Bonnie Raitt and to the late Dr. John by Trombone Shorty and members of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. (Usher’s Prince workout was too mannered to pop despite the presence of FKA Twigs and Sheila E. as backup. It feels like we get a new Prince tribute every year now, which is fine, except that the list of iffy ones is longer than the list of great ones.) Gary Clark Jr. and the Roots gave a caustic reminder of a tumultuous year in politics, and Rosalía dazzled while playing El Mas Querer’s “Malamente” and the new single “Juro Qué.”
Carlile and Tucker, who won her first two Grammys last night nearly 50 years after her 1972 debut single, “Delta Dawn,” gave a stately rendition of their 2019 collaboration, “Bring My Flowers Now,” off Tucker’s While I’m Livin’. This could have doubled as the resounding message to the Academy membership from this year’s talent: The Grammys can either be a show about recognizing modern music’s top-tier talent in their prime, or it can be a show about producers, presidents, and voting bodies who are too out of touch to spot a revolution until years after it happens. But it can’t be both.

ronmch20

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bitch ass niggas . Diddy is 50 and mature now. He’s also a billionaire he doesn’t need Grammys or money . He’s speaking the truth . Doesn’t matter what he did previously, people change you negative ass clowns and exhiledcoon shut your bitch ass up

He's about 300 million short but I get your point and agree with it completely especially calling exiledking the coon he is. :hmm:

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
I tried to tell y'all.... :fuckyousay:

I hate to break it to y'all but (as usual) Puffy is FULL OF SHIT. He's a former National Trustee of the same Academy he's now criticizing and he had no issue cosigning the shenanigans when his artists were getting nominations and winning. The current national Chairman of the Board is 72yo jazz *LEGEND* Harvey Mason from Foreplay, and current trustees include Paul Wall and Rico Love as well as Terri Lynn Carrington, Lalah Hathaway and several other non-performing Black industry execs. I know as fact that the Atlanta Chapter's Board of Governors is majority hip hop oriented - JFly is the current President and Jermaine Dupri was President for at least 10 years.

The Grammys even created a special nomination review committees for the rap categories in 2018 to safeguard the music’s integrity and to serve as additional checks and balances. The change allowed rising acts to earn nominations over veteran performers who seemed to get nominated no matter what they released. Also to help guard against potentially embarrassing wins such as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis beating Kendrick Lamar for best rap album in 2014. :curse:

Mase Blasts Diddy for Grammys Speech And $20k Publishing Deal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ente...4afb88-446e-11ea-99c7-1dfd4241a2fe_story.html

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/mase-diddy-feud.html/

5357ceabc01a4f64b2f516a1ab01482c_md.jpg

Mase, one of Diddy's biggest Bad Boy Records stars, is coming for blood ... calling the mogul a hypocrite for his Grammys speech, and for keeping him under a horrible contract.

The "Mo Money, Mo Problems" rapper went off on Diddy Friday saying it's ironic Bad Boy's honcho is calling on black artists to take back control of their art -- because Mase claims Diddy keeps his own artists "enslaved," purposely starves them and subjects them to his "horrendous business model."

On a personal level, Mase is pissed about the $20k he says Diddy paid him for his publishing rights more than 20 years ago, when he debuted at the age of 19.

As you know ... Diddy gave a 50-minute speech while accepting an Industry Icon award at Clive Davis' pre-Grammy gala at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. He was also at Jay-Z's Roc Nation brunch earlier that day, toasting black billionaires and black excellence.

None of this sat well with Mase, who said he offered Diddy $2 million in cash just a few days ago to buy back his catalog. He claims Diddy told him he had to match a European man's offer and "that would be the only way I can get it back."

Mase -- who signed with Bad Boy in 1996, retired in 1999 and returned in 2004 -- added, "You bought it for about 20k & I offered you 2m in cash. This is not black excellence at all. When your own race is enslaving us. If it's about us owning, it can't be about us owning each other. No More Hiding Behind 'Love.' U CHANGED? GIVE THE ARTIST BACK THEIR $$$$. So they can take care of their families."

Mase has feuded with Diddy in the past ... and in 2009 Mase tried getting out of his deal with the label.

Brooklyn MC Sauce Money, who's worked with Diddy and Jay-Z, also took a swipe ... saying he watched Diddy's speech, and "I respect the message, just not coming from him."

We've reached out to Diddy's camp for comment, but so far no word back.

Damn. Can we just run it back ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

avatars-000267955973-qbmung-t500x500.jpg

jackson35

Rising Star
Registered
Bitch ass niggas . Diddy is 50 and mature now. He’s also a billionaire he doesn’t need Grammys or money . He’s speaking the truth . Doesn’t matter what he did previously, people change you negative ass clowns and exhiledcoon shut your bitch ass up
if puffy was a billionaire this shit would not be on his radar