Salute to these White Folk out here seeking justice for George Floyd and other victims of police & promising to change their ways

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Gone With the Wind No Longer Gone, Returns to HBO Max with Prologue About Racism
By Chris Murphy@christress
Photo: Mondadori via Getty Images
fc759a3ddccfbcbd86348d532ce2a95901-gone-with-the-wind.rsquare.w330.jpg

And just like that, Rhett and Scarlett are back in action. On Wednesday, June 24, HBO Max returned Gone With the Wind to its streaming library, with a new introduction highlighting the film’s problematic depiction of the Antebellum South from film scholar Jacqueline Stewart. Stewart, who hosts Turner Classic Movie’s “Silent Sunday Nights” and is a professor in the Department of Cinema and Media Studies at the University of Chicago, now provides a four-and-a-half minute prologue unpacking the racism inherent in the film and its cultural legacy. In her introduction, Stewart states that Gone With the Wind “was not universally praised” when it debuted despite its many accolades, and that the film ultimately depicts the Antebellum South as a “world of grace and beauty, without acknowledging the brutalities of the system of chattel slavery upon which this world is based.”
Earlier this month, HBO Max temporarily removed Gone With the Wind from its catalogue after facing intense criticism for its decision to include the film on the streaming platform, sparking a cultural debate as to how the entertainment industry should deal with its long history of producing problematic and racist content. In her Gone With The Wind introduction, Stewart makes a case for why the film should be available to modern viewers, admitting that watching Gone with The Wind may be “uncomfortable, even painful.” Ultimately, she states that “it is important that classic Hollywood films are available to us in their original form” in order to “invite viewers to reflect on their own beliefs when watching them now.” You can once again watch Hattie Mcdaniel’s Oscar winning performance, now with more context about the racism deeply embedded in said film.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Scrubs Blackface Episodes Scrubbed From Hulu
By Devon Ivie@devonsaysrelax
Photo: Paul Drinkwater/Nbc-Tv/Kobal/Shutterstock

3c36781f80a8850a982ce1a128f3b96038-scrubs.rsquare.w330.jpg

On the tail of Tina Fey removing several 30 Rock episodes from streaming services and TV reruns because they featured characters in blackface, Hulu has decided to adhere to the same practice with Scrubs. Variety reports that three of the sitcom’s episodes — “My Fifteen Seconds” (season three, episode seven), “My Jiggly Ball” (season five, episode four), and “My Chopped Liver” (season five, episode 17) — have been removed from the service as of June 24, a decision that showrunner Bill Lawrence voiced his support for. One of these episodes features Zach Braff’s character dressed up in blackface for a costume party, while another shows Sarah Chalke’s character in blackface for a “fantasy sequence.” In addition to Hulu, Netflix is also reassessing its streaming catalogue and removing certain shows for the use of blackface. Popular British sketch shows Little Britain, The League of Gentlemen, The Mighty Boosh, and Come Fly With Me have been removed in their entirety, as has one segment from Netflix’s original sketch series W/ Bob & David.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Scrubs’ Episodes Featuring Blackface Removed From Hulu

By Will Thorne

scrubs.jpg

Hulu has removed three episodes of “Scrubs” which featured characters in blackface, following a request by the show’s creator Bill Lawrence and ABC Studios, sources have confirmed to Variety.
The episodes in question are “My Fifteen Seconds” (season 3, episode 7), “My Jiggly Ball” (season 5, episode 4) and “My Chopped Liver” (season 5, episode 17). One featured Zach Braff’s lead character in blackface at a party, while another saw Sarah Chalke’s character in blackface during a fantasy sequence.
The news comes only two days after multiple episodes of “30 Rock” were removed from streaming platforms and syndication for the same reason.
Lawrence confirmed that the “Scrubs” episode were being taken down when replying to a tweet about Variety‘s story on the “30 Rock” news. “Scrubs” aired across nine total seasons from 2001 to 2010, with the first seven broadcast on NBC and the final two on ABC.

The “30 Rock” removal came about at the request of creator Tina Fey and NBCUniversal. Fey wrote a letter to the platforms which carry the series, saying that the blackface episodes were “best taken out of circulation.” The comedian apologized “for pain they have caused.”

“As we strive to do the work and do better in regards to race in America, we believe that these episodes featuring actors in race-changing makeup are best taken out of circulation. I understand now that ‘intent’ is not a free pass for white people to use these images. I apologize for pain they have caused. Going forward, no comedy-loving kid needs to stumble on these tropes and be stung by their ugliness. I thank NBCUniversal for honoring this request,” Fey wrote.

“Scrubs” is the latest in a growing number of series, past and present, which are re-evaluating their depictions of race. Less than two weeks ago, Netflix pulled an episode of Bob Odenkirk and David Cross’ 2015 comedy show “W/Bob and David” because of a scene featuring Cross in blackface.The sketch in question is called “Know Your Rights” and appeared in the third episode of the show’s first and only season.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Kristen Bell Will Also No Longer Voice an Animated Black Character On Central Park
By Chris Murphy@christress
Not a Black person. Photo: Getty Images
d95fccb0fb5ac5c4b60372f9d9ac78f39c--22kristen-bell-22.rsquare.w330.jpg

Well it has certainly been quite the day for white actresses who voice Black characters on animated series, of which there are surprisingly more than one. Earlier on Wednesday, June 24, white comedian Jenny Slate took to Instagram to announce that she would no longer provide the voice for Missy, a Black character, on Netflix’s animated comedy series Big Mouth because “Black characters on an animated show should be played by Black people.” Hours (and most likely hundreds of frantic texts) later, the creative team behind Apple TV+’s Central Park announced that white actress Kristen Bell would no longer provide the voice for Molly, a Black character on the animated comedy series. Two animated Black characters named Molly and Missy voiced by white actresses in 2020? Shocking cinematic parallels there, to be sure. The statement from Central Park creators Loren Bouchard, Josh Gad, Nora Smith, Halsted Sullivan and Sanjay Shah reads as follows:

While Central Park has committed to reversing this casting decision, members of the creative team defended the decision to cast Bell as a Black character as recently as January of this year. At a TCA panel in January 2020, creator Loren Bouchard said that “Kristen needed to be Molly, like we couldn’t not make her Molly. But then we couldn’t make Molly white and we couldn’t make Kristen mixed race, so we just had to go forward.” By “go forward” did Bouchard mean not address the issue until a similar situation befell another animated series and the whole thing became optically too big to ignore? Because that’s what it looks like. Online campaigns have already begun popping up to suggest Black actresses to replace both Slate and Bell. Black female-identifying comedic actresses start practicing your character voice because your time is now.

Cacs really ain't shit, this shit has shades of blackface. Everybody wants to be a nigga and no one wants to be a nigga.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Now The Simpsons Is Also Stepping Away From White Actors Voicing Characters of Color
By Halle Kiefer@hallekiefer
Photo: The Simpsons
a56b044bb5acace0bcbbc1eac4a78f91c5-26-Simpsons.rsquare.w330.jpg

The Simpsons did it, but this time, they definitely weren’t the first. Joining numerous animated series reversing course this week on hiring white actors to voice Black characters, including Big Mouth, Central Park, and Family Guy, the long-running Fox animated series announced on Friday that they, too, would replace white voice actors currently voicing Simpsons’ characters of colors, presumably including long-time Springfield residents like Dr. Hibbert, Carl Carlson, and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.

According to a statement from Lee Eisner, Fox’s Senior VP of Corporate Communications, “Moving forward, The Simpsons will no longer have white actors voice non-white characters.” In 2017, comedian Hari Kondabolu premiered his documentary The Problem with Apu, which criticized the show’s use of stereotypes about South Asian people and the use of a white voice actor, namely Hank Azaria, to bring Apu, the Indian owner of Spingfield’s Kwik-E-Mart, to life.

Simpsons creator Matt Groening rebuffed Kondabolu’s argument following the release of the documentary on truTV, but in February, Azaria said he would no longer voice Apu going forward. “Once I realized that that was the way this character was thought of, I just didn’t want to participate in it anymore,” Azaria told the New York Times. “It just didn’t feel right.”

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

@Camille

Even if they don't remain in the streets, several have literal skin and blood in the game. The levees broke when they stood up for black lives, and for lack of a better phrase, became n-word lovers and thugs in the eyes of some law enforcement. They were getting their asses beat, tear gassed and pepper sprayed for doing nothing that deserved it, and that lived experience, the actual fear and anger, will stay with them. Some have actually been disfigured from rubber bullets. Unfiltered social media has let folks who aren't in the streets see what is going on, and they have realized if the police will mis-handle white folks in broad daylight with cameras rolling, black individuals alone are not going to fare any better.

The white folks out in the street are current and future jury members, and hiring managers. They have seen police live and in full color lie and brutalize, so if nothing else they are less likely to accept authority at face value simply because they are SUPPOSED to be arbiters of truth and a force for good. They will actually examine and investigate their words and deeds and seek answers and accountability.

Before, black folks in the legal system never had the benefit of the doubt. I think that has shifted now. As time goes on, and in heated moments, white folks will still fall back on what they've been raised to believe all their lives, but growth is not instant. If they are actually doing the work, once critical thought and common sense prevail, then I think the advantage will still be in our favor.

If they are less likely to overlook overt racism and dog whistles from other white folk and politicians, so much the better. We had a whole lot of folks who voted for Trump, who claimed they weren't racist, but his racism wasn't a deal breaker for them.

The thing I'm worried about is white folk going into a white guilt mode where they feel bad and responsible to the point they eventually rebel against feeling uncomfortable and act out. We don't need them to feel guilt, we need them to be accountable and active in bringing change and to feel good about making things better. (Good, not self-righteous) They need to see this as righting wrongs and not paying a price. Punishment is not a good long term motivator. People are only going to voluntarily feel like shit for so long. This is one of the talking points WS has, white guilt and self flagellation over deeds they did not personally commit. We need to point these folks to a more constructive position and thought process.

You also have folks who think if they feel bad, they've done enough. They center whiteness by making a show wallowing in guilt and publicly displaying how bad they feel, making their guilt the focus instead of justice for black folks.

Allies aren't going to be perfect, they are raised from birth with anti black stereotypes and social programming that says we are inferior. They seem to be putting in an effort now. None of the racial fears and dog whistles that normally get them to back away from our issues seem to be working now. Smears against George Floyd are not working. It's a marathon tho, not a sprint. There will be ebbs and flows where they seem to backside, but I think folks truly committed to justice will eventually make the right choices and take the right actions, if given a chance.

I want George Floyd will be the last black body the argument for justice and against systemic racism has to be made over. We shouldn't have to prove each second that we are worthy of the same rights white Americans have by virtue of birth or have a body on a slab for each incremental step we make toward true equality in this country. Equality that is real in practice and not just on paper.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

There was a black guy on twitter questioning why no one ever said that it was a veteran that told Kaepernik to kneel. I don't recall who it was, but it was a verified account. Everyone responded everyone knew this from the beginning. Nate Boyer did a ton of interviews at the time. I took issue with his comments because it sounded like he would have approved had he known a white guy had sanctioned it first, but I mention this because not everyone paid attention. Not in detail. They just reacted and went along with the people who were most vocal against it. Paying attention requires an investment of time to absorb information and form opinions. You have to care, and folks just don't care.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
There was a black guy on twitter questioning why no one ever said that it was a veteran that told Kaepernik to kneel. I don't recall who it was, but it was a verified account. Everyone responded everyone knew this from the beginning. Nate Boyer did a ton of interviews at the time. I took issue with his comments because it sounded like he would have approved had he known a white guy had sanctioned it first, but I mention this because not everyone paid attention. Not in detail. They just reacted and went along with the people who were most vocal against it. Paying attention requires an investment of time to absorb information and form opinions. You have to care, and folks just don't care.

I've heard this excuse before

Especially recently

And any white person saying this NOW?

Is a damn liar and I'd tell them in their face.

Any football fan? sports fan? You got espn? You on ANY sports site?

Common knowledge

These white folk started studying physics and pressure variances of a damn football because of the patriots

They knew damn well that Kaep asked a soldier for advice.

Btw that "brave" soldier was shook as f*ck initially and scared to sorak out and support Kaep.

There is no way you can make the effort to hate Kaep tweet facebook instagram about it complain about his socks and t shirt and not know.

A whole lot weak ass plea copping and if WE continue to accept it?

Its just gonna hurt us more

They lying call them on it.

If their feed is devoid of THAT much information they need to have their internet privileges revoked.

And