DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Tyler Hall Ramp
Business

S&P Affirms Morgan State University with Seventh Consecutive A+ Rating​

by Morgan State U
MAY 18, 2023

Strong Financial Position Bolsters Morgan’s Outlook and Fiscal Status, Placing it Tops Among HBCUs

BALTIMORE — Capping off a successful 2022-2023 academic year that garnered historic milestones for overall student enrollment and its second largest incoming class of first-year students, Maryland’s Preeminent Public Urban Research University continues along its decade’s long path of sustained operational and capital stability by achieving its seventh consecutive positive ratings report from an industry-leading rating agency—Standard & Poor’s (S&P) Global. Following an extensive assessment of Morgan’s fiscal operations, financial position and trend analysis, and debt analysis, S&P affirmed its ‘A+’ issuer credit rating (ICR) on Morgan State University, along with a stable outlook reflecting the University's sound financial profile and robust operating and capital support from Maryland.
President Wilson
“We are pleased with the credit rating and report received from S&P Global. The ‘A+’ rating we earned reaffirms Morgan’s sound management and financial stability in addition to our longstanding commitment to providing Morgan students with quality academic programs and services anchored by firm fiscal acuity and keen sensibility,” said David K. Wilson, president of Morgan. “We are grateful for the unwavering support we receive from our community, state, and federal partners. It is as result of this support and the commitment of the team we have in place to steward of our resources, that Morgan continues to be recognized as leader among HBCUs for its fiscal management.
The S&P assessment of Morgan’s enterprise rating as strong is characterized by its niche as one of the nation’s more well-established Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) with unblemished management and a growing enrollment over the past two years. Additionally, the strong financial profile is marked by the University’s very low debt and robust operating and capital support from the State of Maryland. The ratings agency was also encouraged to learn of the University Board of Regent’s recent decision to maintain Morgan’s current leadership, extending the president’s contract until 2030.
Sidney H. Evans, Jr. M.B.A., executive vice president for Finance and Administration at Morgan added, “The affirmation of our credit rating by S&P Global Ratings is a testament to our commitment to sound financial management. We are proud of the progress we have made in reducing our debt and the support we have received from our partners from the public sectors. We will continue to work diligently to maintain our financial stability while providing our students with the resources they need to succeed.”
Among the following factors that contributed to the S&P positive assessment of Morgan’s standing include:
  • Consistent, Milestone Enrollment Gains – 9.5% increase in full-time equivalent (FTE) enrollment in fall 2022, following a similarly high improvement of 11.2% in fall 2021, contributing to a 19.3% increase in FTE enrollment since fall 2018
  • Morgan’s Ability to and Documented Record of Repaying Obligations – Very low university debt following the defeasance and refunding of prior long-term debt and forgiveness of approximately $33.7 million in HBCU loans
  • Long-term Appropriation of HBCU Settlement Legislation (Fund 41) –Expected legal settlements from Maryland totaling approximately $15.4 million in fiscal 2023 and, thereafter, $24 million through 2032—subject to adjustments based on MSU’s demand metrics relative to other claimant HBCU’s —to support operations and programmatic initiatives; and
  • Strong Public Sector Investment – Consistent state support for capital and research initiatives, including $18 million annually to support MSU's six research centers and $62 million so far to fund deferred maintenance.
Holmes Hall
In addition to S&P, Morgan has earned comparable high fiscal marks from the widely respected debt security and credit ratings entity, Moody’s. Most recently, Morgan garnered an A1 stable rating from Moody’s following its independent credit analysis in May 2021.
A range of factors are considered in assessing Morgan’s financial dexterity, including debt structure, strong budgetary discipline, diverse revenue streams, philanthropic support and capital needs. The culmination of these two favorable credit ratings bolsters Morgan’s position as one of the most financially stable and highest-rated HBCUs in the nation.
“During a period of challenged economic forecasting, volatile governance and plateauing enrollment across the higher ed landscape, Morgan continues to buck the trend and exemplify the mark stability,” continued Evans.
Morgan participates in multiple annual audit examinations including financial statement audits by an independent external auditor, audits by the State of Maryland Legislative Office, and audits conducted by Morgan’s own Internal Audit & Management Review office. The collective audit findings assist the University in limiting risks, assessing processes, improving best practices, promoting efficiency and strengthening compliances. Morgan recently began implementing its board-approved Enterprise Risk Management Program, coupled with the hiring of its inaugural director.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was just there a month ago and it's a beautiful campus...seems to also be underrated among the HBCUs.
Yeah it really is a slept on school esp for people in the south. I never really heard about Morgan growing up, but once I moved to DC then I started meeting people who went there and started following the things they were doing.
Dope school.

FuriousStyles

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah it really is a slept on school esp for people in the south. I never really heard about Morgan growing up, but once I moved to DC then I started meeting people who went there and started following the things they were doing.
Dope school.
Hey Player, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from in the south? If you don't wanna answer I understand. Nobody really wants to put their business on a chat board. I was just curious because I've noticed we follow a few of the same threads. I'm from the south too - Savannah - I went to Morgan for grad school and I live in DC.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hey Player, if you don't mind me asking, where are you from in the south? If you don't wanna answer I understand. Nobody really wants to put their business on a chat board. I was just curious because I've noticed we follow a few of the same threads. I'm from the south too - Savannah - I went to Morgan for grad school and I live in DC.

Yeah I am from Columbia, SC and moved to DC Proper. I just relocated to the Charlotte Metro area after being in DC for 20 years. I still have my condo in NE DC....

Morgan is a slept on school for real for real. Once that medical school gets built, that will be a game changer...

FuriousStyles

Rising Star
Registered
Yeah I am from Columbia, SC and moved to DC Proper. I just relocated to the Charlotte Metro area after being in DC for 20 years. I still have my condo in NE DC....

Morgan is a slept on school for real for real. Once that medical school gets built, that will be a game changer...
No doubt.

Hey, how you liking Charlotte? Better than DC?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No doubt.

Hey, how you liking Charlotte? Better than DC?

It's a dope area. No place is going to ever replace DC, but the area I am in is similar to like Arlignton or Tysons Corner area. Rich white folks (and some blacks) and everything you need within a 10 minute drive....
Definitely don't miss the crime

Hell there is 2 Targets that 0.4 miles from each other.....I have never seen any shit like that before....One of them joints has a Ulta bar in it and my wife was like yeah I never seen anyone them joints in a Target...

Growing area with great schools....

FuriousStyles

Rising Star
Registered
It's a dope area. No place is going to ever replace DC, but the area I am in is similar to like Arlignton or Tysons Corner area. Rich white folks (and some blacks) and everything you need within a 10 minute drive....

Hell there is 2 Targets that 0.4 miles from each other.....I have never seen any shit like that before....One of them joints has a Ulta bar in it and my wife was like yeah I never seen anyone them joints in a Target...

Yeah. Dope.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Did you know anyone involved in that five alarm fire they had out by South Park a few days ago?

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Glad that you're loving the area but two Targets.4 miles from each other sounds pretty fucking stupid from a business standpoint :roflmao:

I've seen Starbucks real close but Targets? :confused:

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Naw man but I saw it on the news and got the amber alert....Shit seems serious...

2 brothas died in the fire :smh:

Link

2 men killed in Charlotte construction fire called boss while trapped​

Michael Gordon, Joe Marusak, Julia Coin, Kallie Cox, Mary Ramsey
Fri, May 19, 2023 at 4:37 PM EDT

Two men — Demonte Tyree Sherrill and Rueben Holmes — were killed in the massive fire that consumed an apartment building in South Park Thursday, according to their supervisor.
Charlotte Fire Department fire chief Reginald Johnson confirmed at a press conference Friday that the remains of two people were recovered Friday morning. He said Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner’s Office would verify the identity of the victims and notify their families.
Johnson said firefighters who tried to rescue the two men, who were on the sixth floor, had to call a “Mayday” because they became trapped on the same floor due to limited visibility.
“Everyone did the best they could,” Johnson said. “I think they did beyond the best they could.”
Rueben Holmes, left, and Demonte Tyree Sherill, right, were killed in a construction building fire on May 18, 2023 in South Park, Charlotte.

Rueben Holmes, left, and Demonte Tyree Sherill, right, were killed in a construction building fire on May 18, 2023 in South Park, Charlotte.
Holmes called his boss and friend Keith Suggs for the last time at 9 a.m. Thursday from the construction site where Holmes had been installing windows and doors in two new apartment buildings for the past month.
“He told me he was on the sixth floor, the building was on fire, and he couldn’t get out,” Suggs told The Charlotte Observer in a phone call.

South Park fire victims​

Holmes, 58, of Huntsville, Ala., was one of two employees of KS Windows and Doors of Atlanta who died during the mammoth blaze Thursday.
Sherrill, 30, was a father of four, loved ones told WSOC, the Observer’s news partner.
“I’m still in shock,” said his mother, Onita Sherrill. “Numb really. Numb about the whole situation.”
The cause of the fire is under investigation. Johnson said the fire was accidental and started in a spray-foam insulation trailer at the construction site. So far investigators have not been able to determine what caused the initial spark.
Fifteen other workers were rescued, including a crane operator who was stranded 160 feet in the air for more than an hour, with the crane threatening collapse. He was rescued by Charlotte firefighters. No fire personnel were injured.
On Friday, Suggs was searching for his friend’s family to let them know Holmes had died.
“I just need them to call me,” Suggs said. “I’m not the kind of guy who leaves town just because that man is gone. I need to do everything I can to let his loved ones know what happened.”
Mayor Vi Lyles thanked first responders for their effort and extended the city’s condolences to the two families.
Lyles named Sherrill, and said the city grieves with his children and loved ones.
“His family said he was a hard worker, a loving father, and a family man,” Lyles said.
She did not identify the second man, but said the city would do whatever it could to support his loved ones in their grief.
Johnson said the fire is one of the largest Charlotte has seen.
“We seldom have fires of this magnitude,” Johnson said. “We haven’t had a fire like this in decades, if ever.”
He said Charlotte Fire has been on the scene ever since the fire began Thursday morning.
“This magnitude of fire is very rare, not just in Charlotte but anywhere,” Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Johnny Jennings said. “To see the flames and the smoke that came out as a part of this fire is something that I have never witnessed before.”
Fire Chief Reginald Johnson, far right, answers media questions following the fire department’s efforts extinguishing the five-alarm fire that tore through a construction site yesterday in South Park.

Fire Chief Reginald Johnson, far right, answers media questions following the fire department’s efforts extinguishing the five-alarm fire that tore through a construction site yesterday in South Park.

South Park construction fire​

The five-alarm fire caught at around 9 a.m. and grew, relentlessly, for about an hour. Fueled by stacks of wood on the construction site, the fire reached temperatures above 2,000 degrees, Johnson said at a news conference Thursday.
More than 90 firefighters, including from five neighboring departments, flocked to the SouthPark Towers area. Stray flames and fiery debris still whipped around the area — near Fairview Road and Piedmont Row Drive — at about 1:30 p.m.
As officials gained control of the flames, a man approached officials near the collapsed garage asking for information about his brother, who had been live streaming while he was stuck in the building. The stream showed him being engulfed by flames, the man told reporters.
A man who appears to be Sherrill went live on Facebook for about a minute at 9:20 a.m. Thursday, streaming video of himself and another man.
”I’m at work in a building on fire, and I can’t get out,” the man who appears to be Sherill, who is holding a rag to his face, says.
Smoke can be seen in the video, and the men can be heard yelling for help.
Suggs says after he got the call from Holmes, he hung up to call the project superintendent. “My guys are still up on the sixth floor,” he says he told him.
A crane operator tried to reach them, Suggs said. But by then the smoke was too thick for Holmes and Sherrill to see the crane’s baskets.
Mill Creek Residential, the developer for the apartment complex that caught fire said Thursday its first priority was the health and safety of the people working at the apartments and the surrounding area.
“We are deeply concerned for their well being and will continue to follow the direction of the first responders on site to address the situation,” company spokesman Peter Jakel said in a statement. “Our thoughts are with the missing and injured individuals, and their loved ones at this time.”
The issue of construction safety has recently been a significant concern around fast-growing Charlotte.
On Jan. 2, three Charlotte construction workers died and two others were injured when scaffolding they were on collapsed The three who died — Jose Canaca, Gilberto Monico Fernández and Jesus “Chuy” Olivares — fell about 70 feet while working at a construction site on Morehead Street, near uptown Charlotte and Dilworth.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Glad that you're loving the area but two Targets.4 miles from each other sounds pretty fucking stupid from a business standpoint :roflmao:

I've seen Starbucks real close but Targets? :confused:
I said the same thing, but both them joints are pack.....

Also, there are no Walmarts in this area.....

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Morgan has been flourishing in recent years mostly due to the fact that they finally managed to get rid of all of the embezzlers within the Administration about 20 years ago. Most of them retired or moved on, but once they were out the school was able to invest in itself and expand.