RIP to boxing Legend Pernell Sweet Pea Whitaker.

FJP

Rising Star
OG Investor
More accomplished career Holyfield or Whitaker? Holyfield, greatest cruiserweight in history and 4-time heavyweight champion, fought in a tough heavyweight era which may have been the best since the 70's and fought the best fighters of his era multiple times. Whitaker, won titles at 135, 140, 147, and 154lbs, beat some very good fighters and never really loss a fight until the very end of his career and was only stopped once in his final fight, because of a broken clavicle.
Pernell. There was a time when Holyfield was the best heavyweight .... but there were about 5 years when Pernell was the best at ANY weight.

parisian

International
International Member
Around 92' - 94' I used to wake up in the middle of the night to watch his fights on my side of the Atlantic ocean... Rip Sweet Pea

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
whitaker-pernell-groups-when-pernell-whitaker-decisioned-rob-byrd-in-picture-id162120257

amateur-pernell-whitaker-of-norfolk-va-shadow-boxes-in-a-mirror-at-picture-id162380880

boxing-budweiser-world-championship-challenge-pernell-whitaker-after-picture-id654462162

pernell-whitaker-mens-boxing-medal-ceremony-memorial-sports-arena-at-picture-id900585684

Knuckles666

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's sort of crazy how all of these people care about him now and are claiming him

but dude was staying in a hotel room. :dunno:

I wonder who was reaching out to him when he was alive.
Really? Damn. That would explain why he was walking around in that area, especially at night! Damn!

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Viewing & Funeral going on right now...

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/article_3dcbd0de-aaf2-11e9-96c6-eb694c83972a.html

Declaring Pernell “Sweetpea” Whitaker “757’s finest,” a funeral for the boxing champ started with a standing ovation inside the very Norfolk arena where he won 10 of his 40 career victories.

“He loved this city. He was proud of this city. He was this city,” read a tribute from Whitaker’s children in Saturday’s program.

For two hours before, fans, family and friends filed into the arena’s floor to take one last look at the Olympic gold medalist whose casket was later draped with the flag of those world games.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

Is the pedestrian who got hit still there?
o_O

This was sad to hear. It reminds me of a time when my wife and I were on the scene where we witnessed 6 or 7 kids beating up on an old homeless alcoholic and chase him into the path of a bus. It rolled over the dudes torso.
We couldn't do anything because he was still under the bus and the driver (who turned out to be a sister of a friend of ours) was in a complete meltdown.
I think that the dude survived it though, by some miracle.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Is the pedestrian who got hit still there?
o_O

This was sad to hear. It reminds me of a time when my wife and I were on the scene where we witnessed 6 or 7 kids beating up on an old homeless alcoholic and chase him into the path of a bus. It rolled over the dudes torso.
We couldn't do anything because he was still under the bus and the driver (who turned out to be a sister of a friend of ours) was in a complete meltdown.
I think that the dude survived it though, by some miracle.

Damn. That's a tough situation to be in (when they are still under the bus). We're required to get our 1st Aid / CPR re-upped every 3 years for job requirements. Criminal record re-checked every 5 years. Have dealt with some minor incidents and being able to utilize the training, but like you said - when a major incident happens it's tough to know where to jump in and help (without jeopardizing yourself & others' safety). Especially in and around traffic.