RIP Bill McCreary: Pioneering Anchor, Reporter, Black News Producer was 87

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Bill McCreary has received numerous awards and citations for his work as a newscaster and for his outstanding contributions to the African-American community. Recognition of his accomplishments by civic leaders and his peers include:

• Two Emmy Awards — one for the “The 10 O’Clock News” and one for “Black News;”
  • An Emmy Award nomination for the documentary “Following the Footsteps;”
  • The Daily News Front Page Award for outstanding achievement in “reporting events and issues concerning the Metropolitan area and the minority community in particular;”
  • The NAACP’s “Black Heritage Award” in 1987;
  • Borough President David Dinkins’ declaration of April 23, 1987, as “Bill McCreary Day” in New York City;
  • An award from the Food and Drug Administration for a series of reports on the dangers of consuming “Argo Starch;”
  • The Floyd Flake Image Award in October, 1990;
  • The Mackee Williams Memorial Award in September, 1990;
  • The Federation of Negro Civil Service Organizations, Inc. Distinguished Service Award; and
  • A Myopia International Research Foundation citation for helping to improve public health standards.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Man...

Today's Attention-Whoring so-called "Black Media" has no clue.
Nor can it hold a candle to Elders like McCreary,Noble, Melba Tolliver, Vic Miles, John Johnson, Felipe Luciano, Carol Jenkins,etc.
Those folks had the Pulse of the Tri-State's Black Community.
And they had INTEGRITY most of all.

WE are in such a sad-ASS state Media-wise these days.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
Man...

Today's Attention-Whoring so-called "Black Media" has no clue.
Nor can it hold a candle to Elders like McCreary,Noble, Melba Tolliver, Vic Miles, John Johnson, Felipe Luciano, Carol Jenkins,etc.
Those folks had the Pulse of the Tri-State's Black Community.
And they had INTEGRITY most of all.

WE are in such a sad-ASS state Media-wise these days.

You bought up some names I haven't heard in years. John Johnson! Carol Jenkins! Felipe Luciano!

Took me back a few years. I'm also thinking of others that were less hard hitting like Roz Abrams, CBS's Felix something...

Yesterday my man.