RESTAURANTS ARE ADDING SURCHARGES TO YOUR BILL

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Me and the missus go to brunch from time to time. If I see a surcharge on the bill, I don't leave a tip.

Agreed... but so far i havent had that happen... they only usually ask if i want to leave a tip... and we never do because we usually leave the tip on the table of just give it to the waiter or waitress... .

Da Backshot Champ

Rising Star
Registered
Me and the missus go to brunch from time to time. If I see a surcharge on the bill, I don't leave a tip.

As a long time ago restaurant employee, please leave the tip. Back in '94 I was earning $2.73 per hour as a waiter in at a restaurant in Manhattan and the rest of my salary was supposed to be supplemented by tips. The industry may have changed since then. That surcharge goes straight to owners money pot.

Edit: Did a little reararch, it still is somewhat the same.

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As a long time ago restaurant employee, please leave the tip. Back in '94 I was earning $2.73 per hour as a waiter in at a restaurant in Manhattan and the rest of my salary was supposed to be supplemented by tips. The industry may have changed since then. That surcharge goes straight to owners money pot.

Edit: Did a little reararch, it still is somewhat the same.

Thanks for sharing that information, and normally I try to tip at least 20% of the cost of the meal. Nevertheless, one waitress really upset me, I think it was at Dallas BBQ several years ago. The waitress was very sweet, attentive and I was very appreciative of her kindness. Now, I have a personal policy where I want to hand the waitress/waiter the tip in their hand (too many thieves out there, and don't sleep on people who you think might have money). Anyway, when I attempt to hand her a tip, she told me that the restaurant has a "tip splitting policy," and that the tips are shared between the entire wait staff. Imagine you're breaking your neck to get the job done, and some of your coworkers are treating patrons like shyt, and you have to share your tips with them at the end of the night?

Ceenote

Thinkn with My 3rd Eye!
Platinum Member
Anyway, when I attempt to hand her a tip, she told me that the restaurant has a "tip splitting policy," and that the tips are shared between the entire wait staff. Imagine you're breaking your neck to get the job done, and some of your coworkers are treating patrons like shyt, and you have to share your tips with them at the end of the night?

Yep.. that shit is bogus... my daughter was gonna try it on for a minute.. but once they explained that to her she was like nah im good! U working your ass off but the other person aint doing shit... n u gotta share... nah im good

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I feel ya... fees yes rising prices no... cause if a gallon of gas and the grocery store going up.. i cant expect the restaurant to stay the same price as last year.. but fees... nah im good

Oh I don't necessarily blame the restaurant for it...I'm just not gonna pay it when I have the alternative of cooking.

My threshold for demand destruction is lower than yours, that's all lol.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Scam ass industry. Only place I really went to was Duck Donuts up here in Pinecrest. When the plague started, 12 donuts were 14.95. Now they want $25 for a dozen, so fuck them. Crazy prices and surchages? Going out to eat feels like I'm getting finessed.

Bingo!

Demand destruction is a real thing.

I don't care what the reason for the price hike is, I'm not paying 50.00 for a pizza and a salad when pre-pandemic it was barely 20. Not gonna do it.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Scam ass industry. Only place I really went to was Duck Donuts up here in Pinecrest. When the plague started, 12 donuts were 14.95. Now they want $25 for a dozen, so fuck them. Crazy prices and surchages? Going out to eat feels like I'm getting finessed.
Here in Charlotte a dozen is $18.95

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

"Come Labor Day, when all these credit card bills come due, everybody will be back on a budget again. And that's why we expect growth to slow as we head into the end of the year."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
It would be helpful if they disclose the surcharge before the meal.

As a paying consumer, all fee's should be known before you view the menu.

Agreed. Customers would be much more appreciative of transparency & upfront honesty. Not the hidden fee bullshit that alot of industries pull, or the constant feeling as though you’re being upsold or overcharged. It leaves a bad taste in peoples’ mouths.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks for sharing that information, and normally I try to tip at least 20% of the cost of the meal. Nevertheless, one waitress really upset me, I think it was at Dallas BBQ several years ago. The waitress was very sweet, attentive and I was very appreciative of her kindness. Now, I have a personal policy where I want to hand the waitress/waiter the tip in their hand (too many thieves out there, and don't sleep on people who you think might have money). Anyway, when I attempt to hand her a tip, she told me that the restaurant has a "tip splitting policy," and that the tips are shared between the entire wait staff. Imagine you're breaking your neck to get the job done, and some of your coworkers are treating patrons like shyt, and you have to share your tips with them at the end of the night?
that's standard practice...personally never understood it.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
that's standard practice...personally never understood it.
1 of the reasons people tend to tip pretty girls well and tip dudes shit.. even as bartenders people will more likely tip a female bartender better than a dude.. so to seem fair tips are shared.. also 1 person could be busting their ass and get a shitty tip and one person can basically do bare minimum and receive a fantastic tip.. so once again they try to be “ fair”.. it definitely can suck if you deserve all them great tips and have to share it with others who aren’t really busting their ass

Ballatician

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’ve noticed that restaurants are struggling with inflation and labor costs. Increasing prices on the menu is sensitive because it may deter customers. One restaurant owner I spoke to is trying to combat inflation by buying more inventory, primarily the stuff that doesn’t perish immediately.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
this whole fuckin u.s.a society and govt is criminal as fuck,

you think THEY robbing you.

sheeeeeeeeeeeet

you better be checking on your bank and credit card statements..

Lots of lowkey fuckery goin on there....

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm pretty sure yall have noticed they give you much less food on to go orders than if you sit down, eat two bites and take the rest home.

I used to demand they fill the container to the brim with fries when I would order a burger on vacation.