Republican plan would raise minimum wage to $10 but only if businesses are required to ensure worker legality (Fuck your 15!)

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Republican plan would raise minimum wage to $10 but only if businesses are required to ensure worker legality

WASHINGTON – Republican Sens. Mitt Romney and Tom Cotton are proposing to raise the federal minimum wage to $10, but only if businesses are required to use the internet-based E-Verify system designed to prevent employers from hiring undocumented workers.

Although the measure which was unveiled Tuesday morning is unlikely to go far in a Democratic Congress pushing for a $15 minimum wage, the bill from Romney, R-Utah., and Cotton, R-Ark., represents the most serious Republican proposal yet on an issue that has emerged as a key priority for progressive leaders.

Both senators say their proposal provides a dual benefit for American workers: raising the pay floor for the first time in more than a decade while also ensuring that documented employees would be the beneficiaries.

“Our legislation would raise the floor for workers without costing jobs," Romney said. "We must create opportunities for American workers and protect their jobs, while also eliminating one of the key drivers of illegal immigration.”

Congress hasn’t raised the federal minimum wage – currently $7.25 an hour – since 2007, even though polls show Americans overwhelmingly favor an increase. Then-President Barack Obama called on Congress to boost the minimum wage in 2014, but the effort went nowhere. The House voted in 2019 to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, only to see the Senate kill the proposal.

A minimum wage increase to $15 is part of President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion stimulus relief package making its way through the Democrat-led House. But it's prospects in the evenly split Senate appear dim as two Democrats – Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona – have said they don't back its inclusion in the measure.

Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, which funded the Fight for $15 campaign to raise the minimum wage, said the COVID-19 pandemic has increased the urgency to raise pay especially for African Americans and Latinos on the front lines.

“They’ve been feeding us, caring for us, serving us, delivering things for us,” Henry said. “And they’ve been risking their lives without proper personal protective equipment and without the wages in their pockets that allow them to stay safely home if they get infected.”

Currently, 31 states have a minimum wage law that allows at least some workers to be paid less than $10, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. No state has a minimum wage at $15 or above.

A Congressional Budget Office report released earlier this month estimated that raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour would boost the pay for as many as 27 million Americans and lift nearly 1 million out of poverty but also would result in the loss of as many as 1.4 million jobs.

Higher wages increase the cost to employers of producing goods and services, and those costs are generally passed on to consumers who usually react by purchasing fewer goods and services, according to the CBO. As a consequence, employers faced with having to scale back their output usually cut back their workforce.

Backers of the Romney-Cotton bill, called the Higher Wages for American Workers Act, say a $10 wage phased in through 2025 (and then indexed to inflation after that) would cost no more than 100,000 jobs and would raise wages for approximately 3.5 million Americans.

And by mandating E-Verify within 18 months of the law's signing, they say the proposal "would preserve American jobs for legal workers and remove incentives for increased illegal immigration."

Created in 1996, the E-Verify system allows employers to voluntarily submit information from an employee's Form I-9 to the Department of Homeland Security, which works with the Social Security Administration to determine worker eligibility. More than 750,000 businesses use the program at no cost to them.

Cotton has pushed legislation on expanding the E-Verify system in the past. In 2019, he and Sen. John Boozman, R-Ark., introduced legislation that would have required businesses to use an internet-based system that assists employers in determining whether current or prospective employees are authorized to work in the United States.

Four states – Alabama, Arizona, Mississippi and South Carolina – mandate E-Verify for all new hires, numerous others require it for some hires, and the federal government requires it for some occupations.

Democrats generally oppose expansion of E-verify unless it's part of a larger compromise on immigration that includes a path to citizenship for millions of undocumented residents.

The Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, did not weigh in on the Romney-Cotton bill. But it opposes mandating E-Verify, calling it an expensive and inefficient bureaucratic system that would expand government, diminish privacy and do little to stop the illegal immigration the bill is targeting.

But Cotton said the current system is "unfair" to millions of workers who see businesses employ undocumented laborers for cheaper pay.

“Ending the black market for illegal labor will open up jobs for Americans. Raising the minimum wage will allow Americans filling those jobs to better support their families," he said. "Our bill does both.”

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
only certain jobs should be $15. progressives are nuts thinking a small time restaurant can afford $15/hr workers. all this does is ensure corporations rule all. bye small businesses. if you own one store, this shouldn't apply. Unemployment about to rise

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Republicans just suck ass. The reason we can’t get shit accomplished with the Dems is they know the GOP is too stupid,heartless and dumb to step up and fill the void. Republicans can smash Dems completely if they would just step up and do somethin for the people and not just keep blowing big business and corporations. They could own ALL the economic issues if they would just play the game. Reparations for Black Americans,Raising the Minimum Wage and supporting equal pay for women and they would be in power for 100 years instead they are about to be an extinct party and the do nothing Dems are gonna control all government. They could propose a $12/hr wage with incentives tied to health insurance,education credits and other financial proposals that would steal this issue from the Dems but instead they undercut the $15/hr wage and think that shit will work just so dumb.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
only certain jobs should be $15. progressives are nuts thinking a small time restaurant can afford $15/hr workers. all this does is ensure corporations rule all. bye small businesses. if you own one store, this shouldn't apply. Unemployment about to rise
I agree only certain jobs should be $15.

KA$H

GoldMember
BGOL Investor
$15/Hour?

Interesting...

Gig economy will take over. More people will be working through those apps like GigWalk and have like 5 or more "jobs". Working 6 hours a week at each.

Businesses will most likely have 1 or 2 full-time "employees" that gets all of the benefits, most likely management, and a skeleton staff of part time giggers working 3 hour shifts or some wild shit.

I haven't been inside of a Walmart in Years. Do they still have Greeters? If so; then that job is now gone, or cut down to like 2 hours a day.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Please. People need to stop with that bullshit. Minimum wage has not gone up since 2009. Y’all trying to act like all other expenses have stayed stagnant? Rent, Cost of Goods, Utilities etc. have all increased, but a small business paying their workers a few more dollars is supposed to break them?

if you can’t pay you employees fairly, it ain’t a business I want to support.

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Please. People need to stop with that bullshit. Minimum wage has not gone up since 2009. Y’all trying to act like all other expenses have stayed stagnant? Rent, Cost of Goods, Utilities etc. have all increased, but a small business paying their workers a few more dollars is supposed to break them?

It will break them, nigga
While rent and utilities have increased
So have their utilities , cost of goods, and employee insurance
Most small businesses operate on small margins
Increasing their expenditures would be a death blow
That mom and pop diner? That local mechanic? That seamstress that has her own shop downtown?
You wouldn’t support them because they can’t afford to pay their employees more?

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It will break them, nigga
While rent and utilities have increased
So have their utilities , cost of goods, and employee insurance
Most small businesses operate on small margins
Increasing their expenditures would be a death blow
That mom and pop diner? That local mechanic? That seamstress that has her own shop downtown?
You wouldn’t support them because they can’t afford to pay their employees more?

Mom and Pop Diner? How many employees do you need to have before it’s no longer mom and pop? The name alone tells me it’s family run. Wait staff get paid like 2-3 dollars an hour.

The local mechanic? Nigga are you trusting anyone working for 7.50 an hour to touch your car? How many employees are at your local mechanic and how many do you think are making 7.50 an hour?

The seamstress is employing how many people? A seamstress can afford downtown rent but not pay her employees a few more bucks an hour?

If a similar place up the street can afford to pay their employees more, the question is why? Does that place provide a better product or service? Are they better business managers. We’re they better negotiators and got a better deal on rent?

The rules would be the same for everybody. If your business can’t survive an increase on the employee line, how could it survive any increase on a line item?

Mr. ISM

Official Ol' Head
BGOL Investor
the progressives are attacking this problem the wrong way...don't raise wages...bottom out salaries of the top 10% in the workforce to significantly lower numbers as well as price control. yeah I'm glad you're a landlord but you shouldn't get rich off one or two rowhomes, same time market changes to commodity prices so that a person making $10 an hour can afford to live on their own. finally and most importantly...make the uber rich (people & corporations) pay their fair fuckin' share. this country is having a party and the broke muhfuckas is getting stuck with the bill. ballin' on credit!

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If those jobs aren't the jobs that were deemed "essential" during this pandemic, then fuck that shit y'all talking.

That's why I hated that term. Because if you were fortunate to keep your job during last year, how were not an essential worker. You were an important piece of that business maintaining it's daily operations. But when it came to them seeing how real this was gonna be in the long run and paying folks accordingly, they switched up who was what.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mom and Pop Diner? How many employees do you need to have before it’s no longer mom and pop? The name alone tells me it’s family run. Wait staff get paid like 2-3 dollars an hour.

The local mechanic? Nigga are you trusting anyone working for 7.50 an hour to touch your car? How many employees are at your local mechanic and how many do you think are making 7.50 an hour?

The seamstress is employing how many people? A seamstress can afford downtown rent but not pay her employees a few more bucks an hour?

If a similar place up the street can afford to pay their employees more, the question is why? Does that place provide a better product or service? Are they better business managers. We’re they better negotiators and got a better deal on rent?

The rules would be the same for everybody. If your business can’t survive an increase on the employee line, how could it survive any increase on a line item?

That is all this is about. We basically subsidize large employers like Walmart and McDonalds who pay low wages and have a high % of their employees receiving government assistance. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/19/wal...of-medicaid-and-food-stamp-beneficiaries.html
They can't say "will anyone think of the multibillion dollar multinational corporations" so they try to paint a scenario where raising the minimum wage hurts small business.

That said, raising the minimum wage is a really blunt instrument. It should be higher in than $15 in most major cities but lower in many rural/red states.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Lol... corporations have cucked the plebeians so hard. Got regular salt-of-the-earth folks arguing against a meager increase in bottom wages that still falls well short of pacing inflation and cost of living increases over the last 40 years. Meanwhile the CEO to worker pay average has gone from like 30:1 to like 300:1 over the same period and profits unlocked by increases in productivity have gone largely to shareholders.

This shit is hilarious and depressing.

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i want to see those Senators try to live on $7.25 an hour for a year.
they'd lose their house, cars, and be in food lines weekly.

They make 174K and still a lot of the GOP congressman sleep in their offices because they say DC rent is too high :smh: The same mothfuckers will then tell poor people they need to budget better with a straight face:smh::lol:

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Republicans just suck ass. The reason we can’t get shit accomplished with the Dems is they know the GOP is too stupid,heartless and dumb to step up and fill the void. Republicans can smash Dems completely if they would just step up and do something for the people and not just keep blowing big business and corporations. They could own ALL the economic issues if they would just play the game. Reparations for Black Americans,Raising the Minimum Wage and supporting equal pay for women and they would be in power for 100 years instead they are about to be an extinct party and the do nothing Dems are gonna control all government. They could propose a $12/hr wage with incentives tied to health insurance,education credits and other financial proposals that would steal this issue from the Dems but instead they undercut the $15/hr wage and think that shit will work just so dumb.

The GOP knows they don't have to because they can use Wedge issues as a FOG to blind many to the reality of the situation Americans face economically. Gettings Cac's n Coons alike to care more about "prayer in school" than minimum wage, to care more about depriving women of access to safe abortions or contraception than Universal Healthcare, to care more about owning or carrying in public instruments of mass death than drinking clean water or breathing clean air. Then of course there is the Dog whistle racist politics that they have been practicing. Especially with the immigration issues. Until Americans get their priorities in order as a whole nothing is going to change and this country will stay on the fast track to ruin. Covid lays bare our stupidity and foolhardy nature to the world.

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
E-Verify is finna piss a lot of yall off
:itsawrap:

lmaooo... bro if you think E-Verify hasn’t been adopted widely for a very specific reason I’ve got a bridge to sell you... I’ll even give you a huge discount my dude, hit me up!

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
lmaooo... bro if you think E-Verify hasn’t been adopted widely for a very specific reason I’ve got a bridge to sell you... I’ll even give you a huge discount my dude, hit me up!

You mean the same GOP that wants an ID/ blood sample from Black people in order to vote is oddly against national ID and other measures that would basically eliminate the hiring of illegal immigrants? :lol:

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor

you just proved my point. other expenses have increased and service jobs make money off tips. you cant have a family restaurant and have those type of overhead. you obviously never owned a small business. This prevent black businesses from starting too, at least for customer service jobs. This should only apply to a business that has more than one physical location or considered a large business. Walmart can afford it, the ethopian store down the street won't make it and have to close. Walmart loves this.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
E-Verify is finna piss a lot of yall off
:itsawrap:
Don't see why though. Only about 14 percent of employers use the shit. GOP just huffing and puffing again. It's all for show that they want to stop illegal immigrants. Too many elites are getting over on using that labor. The GOP show on illegals is similar to some of the theater dems use to keep people thinking they serious about an issue.

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You get my point man. I picked bad examples
All you have to do is ask your local McDonalds owner who only has 1 franchise, if you really want to know the answer to that
But I’ll help you, by repeating myself. Margins are small.

totto

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't see why though. Only about 14 percent of employers use the shit. GOP just huffing and puffing again. It's all for show that they want to stop illegal immigrants. Too many elites are getting over on using that labor. The GOP show on illegals is similar to some of the theater dems use to keep people thinking they serious about an issue.

Agreed, too many rich GOP folks use them illegals so it's just hot air they really can't do anything and if they do they hurt their own.

Just smoke to keep their name in these streets.

E-verify is pretty strict though I had to go through them a few times for contract jobs, damn near want blood samples to prove citizenship.

I think ADP is another one or similar to it.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You get my point man. I picked bad examples
All you have to do is ask your local McDonalds owner who only has 1 franchise, if you really want to know the answer to that
But I’ll help you, by repeating myself. Margins are small.

I am not spending my time worrying about the person who has enough capital to open a McDonald’s franchise.

How much is a McDonald’s Franchise?
The total investment necessary to begin operation of a traditional McDonald’s franchise ranges from $1,008,000 to $2,214,080. This includes an initial franchise fee of $45,000.00 that must be paid to the franchisor. Since the total cost varies from restaurant to restaurant, the minimum amount for a down payment will vary.

Last edited:

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am not spending my time worrying about the person who has enough capital to open a McDonald’s franchise.

How much is a McDonald’s Franchise?
The total investment necessary to begin operation of a traditional McDonald’s franchise ranges from $1,008,000 to $2,214,080. This includes an initial franchise fee of $45,000.00 that must be paid to the franchisor. Since the total cost varies from restaurant to restaurant, the minimum amount for a down payment will vary.

McDonalds can be any independently owned business.
You’re going to think the way you’re going to think, but at the end of the day, you’re never going to get the results you want.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
McDonalds can be any independently owned business.
You’re going to think the way you’re going to think, but at the end of the day, you’re never going to get the results you want.

And you are going to think that small business are going to crumble under $15 federal minimum wage, yet only companies that do $500,000 a year in revenue is subject to minimum wage laws.

If a seamstress downtown is pulling in a half milly a year in business I think they can pay their few employees 29k a year.

To whom does the minimum wage apply?
The minimum wage law (the FLSA) applies to employees of enterprises that have annual gross volume of sales or business done of at least $500,000. It also applies to employees of smaller firms if the employees are engaged in interstate commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, such as employees who work in transportation or communications or who regularly use the mails or telephones for interstate communications. Other persons, such as guards, janitors, and maintenance employees who perform duties which are closely related and directly essential to such interstate activities are also covered by the FLSA. It also applies to employees of federal, state or local government agencies, hospitals and schools, and it generally applies to domestic workers.