Raven-Symoné Reveals Fans Have Been Mispronouncing Her Name: 'See-Mon-Ye Like Yay'

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Fans were confused when Raven-Symoné shared the correct pronunciation of her name — which is different from how she introduced herself on Disney Channel

Raven-Symoné just told fans they've been pronouncing her name wrong.

Since her childhood stardom, fans have pronounced the Disney alum's name like "Raven Sim-moan" — but that's not how it's supposed to be said. In a TikTok shared Thursday, Raven-Symoné, 37, clarified: It's "See-mon-ye Like Yay."

She used the TikTok sound that expresses doubt through the perspective of someone saying "Shut up, it is not." Raven-Symoné mouthed the words, "Yes, it is."

This came as shocking news to many longtime fans, as the actor has also been pronouncing her own name as "Sim-moan" throughout her career. Some commenters pointed to the That's So Raven alum's Disney Channel commercial bits, in which she introduces herself to the camera.

"The whole time "I'm raven simone and you're watching Disney channel" you could have said it right cause how they gon make you say your own name wrong," one commenter wrote. The comment received 900 likes.

Another added, "Well whose fault is that."

That said, most of the comments were quick to acknowledge the inflection change and accept the actress's stated pronunciation.

Raven-Symoné is far from the first celebrity to tell fans they've been pronouncing their name wrong throughout their career. In 2018, Chrissy Teigen revealed her last name is not pronounced "Tea-gan" but "Tie-gan."

She revealed the pronunciation on Twitter in response to a fan who actually got it right. "word! gave up a long time ago. last name is tie-gen not tee-gen," she wrote.

Ariana Grande shared a similar bit of information the same year. The "thank u, next" singer said her last name isn't pronounced "Grahnd-eh" but "Grahnd-ee."

Last edited:

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Fans were confused when Raven-Symoné shared the correct pronunciation of her name — which is different from how she introduced herself on Disney Channel

Raven-Symoné just told fans they've been pronouncing her name wrong.

Since her childhood stardom, fans have pronounced the Disney alum's name like "Raven Sim-moan" — but that's not how it's supposed to be said. In a TikTok shared Thursday, Raven-Symoné, 37, clarified: It's "See-mon-ye Like Yay."

She used the TikTok sound that expresses doubt through the perspective of someone saying "Shut up, it is not." Raven-Symoné mouthed the words, "Yes, it is."

This came as shocking news to many longtime fans, as the actor has also been pronouncing her own name as "Sim-moan" throughout her career. Some commenters pointed to the That's So Raven alum's Disney Channel commercial bits, in which she introduces herself to the camera.

"The whole time "I'm raven simone and you're watching Disney channel" you could have said it right cause how they gon make you say your own name wrong," one commenter wrote. The comment received 900 likes.

Another added, "Well whose fault is that."

That said, most of the comments were quick to acknowledge the inflection change and accept the actress's stated pronunciation.

Raven-Symoné is far from the first celebrity to tell fans they've been pronouncing their name wrong throughout their career. In 2018, Chrissy Teigen revealed her last name is not pronounced "Tea-gan" but "Tie-gan."

She revealed the pronunciation on Twitter in response to a fan who actually got it right. "word! gave up a long time ago. last name is tie-gen not tee-gen," she wrote.

Ariana Grande shared a similar bit of information the same year. The "thank u, next" singer said her last name isn't pronounced "Grahnd-eh" but "Grahnd-ee."

Another fucking "Someone says" thread....
Tea sipping neck rolling finger snappin' chatty patty ass nigga :callyou:
This new username has been burned OP

burn-notice-michael-weston.gif

Nobody cares. Ole difficult dyke ass.
You know OP was sitting in a chair, legz crossed with a feather boa on, drinking tea with her pinky sticking out as she posted this

sorcererforemost

Rising Star
Registered
Be the same people getting mad at celebrities for this, who then turn around and don't know the difference between where, were, we're and there, their, and they're.

Also the same people who say "would of" and not "would have."

The fck is a would of? Would of what???

Sloboogie

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That hoe lyin! I met her mama in Rich's at Lennox in 1998 (she was cute then), but she was already spoken for (I respected that). I didn't know who she was until she called her daughter out for actin "special" cause she was tryin to spend more money. She pronounced that shit like she was advertising for attention: Raven (SEE-MOAN) Chris-something P-something, She was looking embarrassed as hell. She had to be at least 16 then.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
That hoe lyin! I met her mama in Rich's at Lennox in 1998 (she was cute then), but she was already spoken for (I respected that). I didn't know who she was until she called her daughter out for actin "special" cause she was tryin to spend more money. She pronounced that shit like she was advertising for attention: Raven (SEE-MOAN) Chris-something P-something, She was looking embarrassed as hell. She had to be at least 16 then.

boom-denzel.gif

5j99sC.jpg