Rapist caught by victim's brother with DNA, pants down and knife in hand gets time served by judge

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Rape victim slams judge for giving man who sexually assaulted her at knife point while she was unconscious just 45 DAYS in jail
  • Maria Crow, 31, was drinking with Jared Bates, 29, in her apartment in Denver, Colorado, in June 2018 when she passed out
  • Her brother walked in and found Bates zipping up his pants and standing over Crow with a knife
  • Bates was arrested hours later and charged with six counts
  • He struck a plea deal with prosecutors and agreed to plead guilty to attempted sexual assault and register as a sex offender
  • Prosecutors asked Denver District Court Judge John Madden IV to sentence Bates to three years in prison
  • Last Friday, Bates was sentenced to 45 days in jail and five years of probation
  • He was released on time served because he spent 47 days in jail last year
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-assaulted-knife-point-just-45-DAYS-jail.html
https://kdvr.com/2019/07/18/denver-rape-victim-furious-after-attacker-gets-45-day-sentence/
https://fox61.com/2019/07/19/woman-furious-after-man-who-raped-her-gets-45-day-sentence/

A Colorado rape victim has slammed a judge for giving her attacker just 45 days in jail.

Maria Crow, 31, was drinking with her friend, 29-year-old Jared Bates, in her Denver apartment in June 2018 when she passed out on her couch.

Her brother, Michael, walked in and saw Bates standing over his unconscious sister with a knife as he zipped up his pants, reported FOX 31.

Hours later, Bates was arrested. Last week, he agreed to plead guilty to attempted sexual assault.

Denver District Court Judge John Madden IV sentenced Bates to 45 days in jail. But, because Bates had already spent 47 days in jail following his arrest, he was released for time served.

16255440-7265303-image-a-45_1563549221704.jpg
16255482-7265303-image-m-44_1563549213536.jpg

Maria Crow, 31 (right), was drinking with Jared Bates, 29 (left), in her apartment in Denver, Colorado, in June 2018 when she passed out. Her brother walked in and found Bates zipping up his pants and standing over Crow with a knife

16255454-7265303-image-a-33_1563548737736.jpg

Bates was arrested hours later and charged with six counts, but struck a plea deal and agreed to plead guilty to attempted sexual assault and register as a sex offender. Pictured: Crow, right, with her brother

Crow said she thought she had a strong case against Bates that would land him a long jail sentence.

'I had DNA on my clothes. I had DNA on my face. I had residue all over my body,' she told FOX 31.

'My pants were down...and my brother walking in and he was the witness to the crime.'

When Bates was initially arrested, he was charged with six counts, including sexual assault of a helpless victim, reported FOX 31.

Before the trial was set to begin, Bates agreed to plead guilty to attempted sexual assault and register as a sex offender.

16255446-7265303-image-a-36_1563548756276.jpg

Last Friday, Denver District Judge John Madden (pictured) sentenced Bates to 45 days in jail and five years of probation. Bates was released on time served because he spent 47 days in jail last year

The Denver District Attorney's Office asked Judge Madden to sentence Bates to three years in prison.

But he received just 45 days in jail and five years of probation.

Crow told FOX 31 she agreed to the plea deal, but now wishes she had taken the case to trial.

'After hearing all the details of this case, I cannot see 12 people looking at me [and saying] I deserve something like this,' she said.

'[Madden] shouldn't be a judge no more if he's going to give out sentences like this,' her brother, Michael, added.

Crow added that she wants an explanation from the judge.

'I want women to know [Bates's] face,' she said.

'I want them to know his name. I want them to know the judge's name, I want them to know that [Madden] decided how this was going to go.'

FOX 31 sent a reporter to Bates's home who said he was trying to move on with his life and offered Crow an apology.

'If she were to listen to this, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for anything and everything,' he said.

The Colorado Judicial Branch did not immediately return DailyMail.com's request for comment.

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
After looking at the victim I wouldn't have let him serve any time.

Dead :D lmao maybe title should be when white privilege vs white privilege :p

Dude shoulda peeled his ass. Idgaf who you are you rape my family member and I’m there you getting some hot lead in your ass

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
That's outlandish af! I wonder what reaction the constituents in that Judicial District are gonna do about his ass. No matter what, the Judge will never get what he deserves. If he's voted off of the Bench, he'll prolly go to a Law Firm or something with little repercussions.

55th View

Rising Star
Registered
Judge: this charge is atrocious. I'm going to throw the book at the guy tomorrow.

(sees "victim" in person the next morning...)

Judge: this man's been through enough. Ma'am, I should lock your ugly ass up for wasting our time!