R.I.P. WWE Star "The Natural" Butch Reed

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I loved growing up in this era.
Back when rasslin' was rasslin'!
You could say and do pretty much anything and get away with it.
This is when Mean Gene told Slick he was know for being a pimp in Detroit. lolllllll
RIP Butch Reed

Mean Gene was funny as hell,when he died Bruce Pritchard said one of his main ribs was to say things the wrestlers didnt know was coming to get them to break character and laugh. He almost got Slick that time.

THE DRIZZY

Ally of The Great Ancestors
OG Investor
B4 he was The Natural, he was Hacksaw Butch Reed and he was that dude!!! RIP

Facts. They need to watch his Florida, Georgia, Mid South, and Houston matches when he was Hacksaw. I hated his Natural gimmick even though he was a good upper middle card heel in his WWF run.

His mid south run against another all time black great Junkyard Dog is stuff of southern legend.

In this video Reed came to Mid-South as an up and coming babyface. The storyline is that top star Junkyard Dog brought his friend Reed fin from Georgia after Tony Atlas was ran out of town by the Rat Pack(Ted Dibiase. Hacksaw Duggan, Matt Bourne) and Kamala. So he brought Reed in for backup and he immediately established himself as a force. After a while he felt he was fighting all JYDs foes for him and got tired of it. Also Duggan turned face when he went against Dibiase and Skandor Akbar's heel stable Devastation Inc. and Duggan became a beloved babyface. So then JYD had to pick a partner between the newly turned babyface Duggan and Reed. JYD chose Duggan and Reed felt slighted. Meanwhile though all along Reed wanted the same top billing as Dog anyway so this made it easier for his legendary heel turn famous. It was so legendary he was voted the Pro Wrestling Illustrated most hated wrestler of 1983.

Having black people battle in the racist south was hard but it worked out for Bill Watts who ran the territory. It was a stroke of genius. JYD vs. Hacksaw Reed sold out everywhere in the territory even the SuperDome in New Orleans. He was credited for eventually running Junkyard Dog to the WWF after Vince gave JYD paydays that Bill Watts could not match. Everyone says losing JYD hurt Mid South and I agree.

Finally Butch Reed comes full circle and turns back babyface in Mid South. The heels beat him down but it is the other Hacksaw that makes the save. Bill Watts needed a good black star to be a face and Butch Reed was right under his nose. Reed never could replace the magic that JYD in that spot but he did okay.

After he turned back babyface though he was neutralized by monster heel Kamala(RIP) who was Devastation Inc. most dangerous member. Reed would win brawls against Kamala but lose matches. Also his feud with redneck ass Dick Slater and his bedwench valet Dark Journery. This fued was the end of his run for Bill Watts and I felt his program with Slater ended badly. That is when he went to work for Vince and became the "Natural". That is when rest of you found out about him because you was only raised on Vince's product.

This one hurts, he was my favorite of all time. RIP Mr. Hacksaw Reed.

patscorpio

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
8c22e00d7f02384c3f408d9d42bc6919.jpg