R.I.P. 'Tabby Diamond' - Lead Singer For Legendary Reggae Group 'The Mighty Diamonds' - Shot Dead In Jamaica - Age 67

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What is "Quaco"? I couldn't find it on the internets.
Just to add on, Quaco is inherited from Akan's Kwaku (meaning born on Wednesday). His other name is Anansi. In the non-violent interpretation, Anansi the spider was known for being slick and crafty, but also carrying the secrets to your blessings. So, the original saying which translates to "if you can't catch Kwaku, catch his shirt", turned into if can't catch the dude you looking for, catch his next of kin. In Jamaica specifically, that morphed into a series of violent, vengeful acts that never seem to end.
not to derail, but since were talking folktales & elder rootsmen with a strong afrikan pride , i found the very phrase

"If yuh cyaah ketch Quaco, yuh ketch him shut"
.. very interesting the way the ideology of relatives being shirts/clothes is expressed, its a common thing in jamaica i recall parents call their kids their "jacket" .. and one day i was making the observation how MJ named his kid "blanket" .. .. ..interesting

R.I.P

FLY AWAY HOME TO ZION

Simply_Black

International
International Member
not to derail, but since were talking folktales & elder rootsmen with a strong afrikan pride , i found the very phrase

"If yuh cyaah ketch Quaco, yuh ketch him shut"
.. very interesting the way the ideology of relatives being shirts/clothes is expressed, its a common thing in jamaica i recall parents call their kids their "jacket" .. and one day i was making the observation how MJ named his kid "blanket" .. .. ..interesting

R.I.P

FLY AWAY HOME TO ZION

"Jacket" in Jamaica means the kid doesn't belong to the man but he think it does... he think he's the father but everyone else know the kid aint his hence "he's carrying a jacket"... and trust me, nuff woman in Jamaica purposely give man "jacket"... :o

yardy

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Sadness...my Jamaican people don't even want to go home to visit..
I go back but only contact a select few lifelong friends.
Can't go back on some showoff shit..... you will get set the fuck up
It's understandable for some though. They been gone so long and thing it's the same place they left many moons ago.

Sad to see the legend not be able to just enjoy his golden years. Bad minded people (likkle fassyhole yuth dem)

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"Jacket" in Jamaica means the kid doesn't belong to the man but he think it does... he think he's the father but everyone else know the kid aint his hence "he's carrying a jacket"... and trust me, nuff woman in Jamaica purposely give man "jacket"... :o
yeah i find it interesting attributing offspring to clothing item , never really thought hard about it but i guess it could also be in jest , i was curious about the etymology of the word as it relates to kids & the function of clothing items in the context , cos i vividly recall situations relatives used it & i didn't think hard about it in context shirt, jacket , blankets

Last edited:

Simply_Black

International
International Member
Another member of the group, "Bunny Diamond", passed today...said to have been complications of diabetes...crazy

Travel well Brother Bunny

Wow !! What a coincidence.... I suppose hearing the death of his singing brother didn't help his recovery... :(

Rest In Peace Bunny.

Another Mighty Diamonds member dies | Entertainment | Jamaica Star (jamaica-star.com)

277774095_10158114395811230_972698039545926663_n.jpg

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What does killing an innocent person solve?
The other person still did what they did to you.

Jamaica was shitting on the fraud prince william

and his boney wife when they visited last month

and was demanding reparations from england

next thing you know.................

just saying those are the factual series of events that

took place

recently in

Jamaica