R.I.P. Robbie Shakespeare - World's Greatest Reggae Bassist - Dead At 68....

Simply_Black

International
International Member
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/dec/08/robbie-shakespeare-sly-and-robbie-dies

Robbie Shakespeare, of Sly and Robbie fame, dies at age 68

The Jamaican Grammy-winning bassist was part of the duo with Sly Dunbar and worked with such artists as Mick Jagger and Grace Jones.

Robbie Shakespeare, acclaimed bassist and record producer, has died at the age of 68. The Jamaican artist was part of the duo Sly and Robbie with Sly Dunbar.

According to The Jamaica Gleaner, Shakespeare had recently undergone surgery related to his kidneys. He had been in hospital in Florida.

“When it comes to reggae bass playing, no one comes close to having the influence of Robbie Shakespeare,” tweeted Jamaican prime minister Robert Holness. “He will be remembered for his sterling contribution to the music industry and Jamaica’s culture.”

Sly and Robbie had come together in the mid-70s after Shakespeare already carved out his own music career from a young age. The pair bonded over their varied taste in music but specifically their interest in reggae production. Their breakout work was on Mighty Diamonds’ 1976 album Right Time.

Last edited:

Bidam7

Rising Star
Registered

RobbieShakespeare1978.png

d2c7429b8621d6805a711e503899f29c.jpg

bass-player-magazine-november-1996-dub-reggae-jah-wobble-family-man-barrett-robbie-shakespeare-16989-p.jpg

May your timeless message in music kept us moving with the deep grooves u laid with from a priceless soul echo may u be at peace with what u made gave joy and hope that's more than most may your journey above be cherished odyssey your the light in darkness behind the scenes to your family losing greatness a father a leader more than a dreamer your melodies awoken inspiring dreams a legend looked on from great music may u be at peace in all aspects
Rest In Paradise

Last edited:

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Man...
Another one of my Music Heroes passes.

I've seen Sly & Robbie multiple times throughout the 80s.
With Black Uhuru, YellowMan, Marcia Griffiths, other groups, and their own band.
It's Further Proof that today's peeps have no clue what ALL Music was like during the 80s.
Especially here in NYC.

Sinead O'Connor mentioned him lovingly in her current autobiography.
(which is a MUST READ!!!)

Robbie is in one of my Top Five for Bassists.
R.I.P.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Robbie Shakespeare, Family Man named among ‘Rolling Stone’ top 50 bassists

Published:Thursday | July 23, 2020 | 12:23 AMYasmine Peru/Senior Gleaner Writer

Two of Jamaica’s top bass players, Robbie Shakespeare – one half of the prolific ‘riddim twins’ Sly and Robbie – and Aston ‘Family Man’ Barrett, have been named among a Top 50 list of best bassists from across the globe. The 50 Greatest Bassists of All Time list, compiled by the prestigious Rolling Stone magazine, sees the Jamaicans appearing at number 17 and number 28, respectively.

When The Gleaner reached out to the Grammy award-winning Robbie Shakespeare, he said he was humbled by the recognition, “Bwoy, I appreciate the fact that others looking in can see what we are doing for the music. This makes me feel like a baby.” The A-lister, whose fingers have lovingly stroked the chords on many hit songs for artistes, including Gwen Guthrie, Grace Jones, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Bob Dylan and Peter Tosh, spoke passionately of the value of hard work, while subtly throwing shade at the ‘entitlement’ culture.

“No matter how much people hail Sly and Robbie as the legends, and despite two Grammy wins and 11 nominations, we never ever feel like anything we get in life we must get it. There have been a lot of sleepless nights, and ‘eatless’ nights, too. Nuff time we go to bed hungry, so we remember these things and take stock. There are so many other great bassists out there who they could have chosen, and yet they chose me and I am grateful,” Robbie Shakespeare told The Gleaner.

Not the first accolade

This is not his first bite of the cherry as regards Top 50 listing. Right after leaving Peter Tosh to play bass for Black Uhuru back in the day, he captured the number three position on a Top 50 compiled by a set of music critics based in England. Robbie said that for the Rolling Stone article, he was given a heads-up when he received an email from a contact in France asking him to do the interview. “I made sure to tell them about the other great bass players in Jamaica, like Lloyd Parks, Val Douglas and Jackie Jackson. They said ‘who are these guys?’ And I replied, ‘Google them’.”
When asked to name some of his favourite pieces that he has played on over the years, Robbie instead, true to his nature, played ‘Mr Nice Guy’. He was quite ecstatic that fellow bassist, Aston ‘Family Man’ Barrett, who he often describes as his mentor, also made the Top 50. He sums up his respect for Family Man in a 2009 Fog City Journal interview in this way: “Well … what can I say? He is the man (laughter). Just the way the man plays the bass, you know. There are gunfighters and there are gunfighters, seen? I can’t tell you nothing more. He is a master for me. I have had help and influences from other people, but I have to give it mostly to Family Man.”

Robbie is hoping that this accolade will help to inspire young generation of bass players who look up to him. “It’s all about giving your all to something that you love. Being consistent in seeking always to excel and taking risks creatively. At the end of the day, we all need to realise that God put us here on Earth to do a work, and we will do it for as long as God wants us to do it,” he concluded.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor

Robbie Shakespeare, Family Man named among ‘Rolling Stone’ top 50 bassists

Published:Thursday | July 23, 2020 | 12:23 AMYasmine Peru/Senior Gleaner Writer

Two of Jamaica’s top bass players, Robbie Shakespeare – one half of the prolific ‘riddim twins’ Sly and Robbie – and Aston ‘Family Man’ Barrett, have been named among a Top 50 list of best bassists from across the globe. The 50 Greatest Bassists of All Time list, compiled by the prestigious Rolling Stone magazine, sees the Jamaicans appearing at number 17 and number 28, respectively.

When The Gleaner reached out to the Grammy award-winning Robbie Shakespeare, he said he was humbled by the recognition, “Bwoy, I appreciate the fact that others looking in can see what we are doing for the music. This makes me feel like a baby.” The A-lister, whose fingers have lovingly stroked the chords on many hit songs for artistes, including Gwen Guthrie, Grace Jones, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Bob Dylan and Peter Tosh, spoke passionately of the value of hard work, while subtly throwing shade at the ‘entitlement’ culture.

“No matter how much people hail Sly and Robbie as the legends, and despite two Grammy wins and 11 nominations, we never ever feel like anything we get in life we must get it. There have been a lot of sleepless nights, and ‘eatless’ nights, too. Nuff time we go to bed hungry, so we remember these things and take stock. There are so many other great bassists out there who they could have chosen, and yet they chose me and I am grateful,” Robbie Shakespeare told The Gleaner.

Not the first accolade

This is not his first bite of the cherry as regards Top 50 listing. Right after leaving Peter Tosh to play bass for Black Uhuru back in the day, he captured the number three position on a Top 50 compiled by a set of music critics based in England. Robbie said that for the Rolling Stone article, he was given a heads-up when he received an email from a contact in France asking him to do the interview. “I made sure to tell them about the other great bass players in Jamaica, like Lloyd Parks, Val Douglas and Jackie Jackson. They said ‘who are these guys?’ And I replied, ‘Google them’.”
When asked to name some of his favourite pieces that he has played on over the years, Robbie instead, true to his nature, played ‘Mr Nice Guy’. He was quite ecstatic that fellow bassist, Aston ‘Family Man’ Barrett, who he often describes as his mentor, also made the Top 50. He sums up his respect for Family Man in a 2009 Fog City Journal interview in this way: “Well … what can I say? He is the man (laughter). Just the way the man plays the bass, you know. There are gunfighters and there are gunfighters, seen? I can’t tell you nothing more. He is a master for me. I have had help and influences from other people, but I have to give it mostly to Family Man.”

Robbie is hoping that this accolade will help to inspire young generation of bass players who look up to him. “It’s all about giving your all to something that you love. Being consistent in seeking always to excel and taking risks creatively. At the end of the day, we all need to realise that God put us here on Earth to do a work, and we will do it for as long as God wants us to do it,” he concluded.
Nice article...humble bredrin...travel well

drake1

Star
Registered
Wow, I cannot say I was familiar with the mans music .....until now

Mean man on the bass

Rest well sir!!!