PS3 Price Drop Over In A Month

YinYangSoul

Star
Registered
Just when you thought it was safe to quit your second job, it turns out the price drop was just a plan to get all the 60GB systems off the shelves.

Link

(Not trying to start another debate so let's try to play nice here fellas. I just thought a lot of you would like to hear about this)

This interview just came out so expect a confirmation or denial from SCEA soon...

freaky_1

True Skool Hip-Hop Head
Registered
I don't think they will do that. They would kill their market. people are already saying they will buy it now that they have re-arranged the price. Droping the 60 GB and only offereing the 80GB would be a slap in the face to those customers who are thinking about coming off the fence.

As much as I don't like Sony and think they are arrogant assholes, I just don't think they would do this to their consumer base. That would not be a good move. Not for them.

luvpussy

The wallaby champ
Registered
I could only hope Sony was smart enough for this not to be true, but i also wouldnt put it past them. If they did tho, it would bury them completely. If they're looking for the fastest way to kill the PS3 market, that'd be it

YinYangSoul

Star
Registered
freaky_1 said:
I don't think they will do that. They would kill their market. people are already saying they will buy it now that they have re-arranged the price. Droping the 60 GB and only offereing the 80GB would be a slap in the face to those customers who are thinking about coming off the fence.

As much as I don't like Sony and think they are arrogant assholes, I just don't think they would do this to their consumer base. That would not be a good move. Not for them.

Well they do get to buy it now for a lower price. They just don't get to wait very long according to this interview.

I'm only taking it seriously because it's coming from the President of SCEE. I don't see why someone so high up in the Sony ranks would announce that without it being true. He can't be that stupid....I think.

freaky_1

True Skool Hip-Hop Head
Registered
YinYangSoul said:
Well they do get to buy it now for a lower price. They just don't get to wait very long according to this interview.

I'm only taking it seriously because it's coming from the President of SCEE. I don't see why someone so high up in the Sony ranks would announce that without it being true. He can't be that stupid....I think.
I hear you. This would not be a good thing, for them to do. But you know the Sony spin doctors on this site will tell us how this is a great thing. The fact that it's coming from someone so high up lends some credibility to this article. I read the interview in it's entierty and it seems like it's real. So this is bad.

freaky_1

True Skool Hip-Hop Head
Registered
luvpussy said:
I could only hope Sony was smart enough for this not to be true, but i also wouldnt put it past them. If they did tho, it would bury them completely. If they're looking for the fastest way to kill the PS3 market, that'd be it
Never under-estimate the Sony loyalists, they will see this as a great move. You know since they never criticise Sony for anything and never hold them accountable.

Chitown

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jane & Finch said:
When did Sony start hittin' the pipe?.

:cool:
That one is easy when they thought pricing their console at 599 was a good idea. If this shit is true about the price drop thats some straight bullshit. I'm still waiting till late 2008 to get one when they really drop the price on that system.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
i'm not going to lie. I bought one this week (got the 5 free Blue ray offer) at Circut city. Shit is dope. I like it. It's different from my 360 but it's dope. Once I saw the blue ray DVD light up my 36 inch lcd in my bedroom I was hooked. Now when I go into a game store and they say we are out of a certain game for 360 and can just nab the ps3 version. Me and my fiance' stayed up till 3 in the morning playing Resistance fall of man.

Dert Bagg

Star
Registered
Look! Will you just cut the malarky!

Well I just wanted to start a post with that....

But here is news that there will be a second price cut on the PS3 before the year is out.

Sony Corp. is likely to cut its PlayStation 3 price again by year-end following this week's $100 cut, a senior executive at Japanese game software maker Capcom Co. Ltd. said.

"The number of PS2 users is still growing and a shift to the PS3 is on the back burner," Capcom Chief Financial Officer Kazuhiko Abe told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday.

"But, the price has been cut once and it is likely to be cut again towards the end of the year. I expect the (PS3's) installed base to grow gradually."

http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSN1130491420070712

Jane & Finch

Star
Registered
Chitown said:
That one is easy when they thought pricing their console at 599 was a good idea.

Thats gotta be when it started b/c it's been crackhead move after crackhead mover ever since!.

:cool:

ICON

Star
Registered
Man sony just need to hold strong on their prices and take the money to do research for the ps4. Microsoft's 2 billion repair bill definelty created some new sony fanboys for the next gen in consoles. so in 2011, sony has already won the next next gen wars.

theart0f69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
According to Gamestop, The PS3 and 5 Blue Ray movies are available until September 30. So, that would be longer than a month. Afterwards, the PS3 price will remain unchanged but the 5 Blue Ray offer will end.

Jagi

True Fist of the North Star
OG Investor
not that i believe it will happen

but this rumor is popping up more and more on the net...

trekei

Star
Registered
Looks true , Since its a direct quote. And if it is , Sony is full of shit . end of story, dont care how some people would want to spin it . Thats a fact. Less than a year , a bunch of you Ps3 owners would have a "lower end"technically discontinued system For the same price of an 80 . Less than a YEAR. Id be pissed . Shit right now Im pissed for you . Thats some Bs.

theart0f69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ICON said:
so in 2011, sony has already won the next next gen wars.

U sound quite ridiculous! See, this is the mind set of most customers: Its not that we have a problem with your merchandise or services, its how we are treated once we bring the problem to your attention and how fast you are to resolve our issue. Honestly M$ responded kinda slow on the 3 rings of death issue, but they did do right by their consumers. With a 3 year warranty, 360 customers aint goin nowhere unless they were already gonna go in the first place. M$ is not losing customers because of this. Money yes, but customers no. Proof of this is how fast the broken 360 market on eBay cleared up once the extended warranty went into effect. Peeps were unlisting their 360's and even more peeps were trying to buy them to have them repaired. The war is quite on, but this is definitely not a deciding factor in this Gen or the next.

I actually believe this. During the interview with G4 the Sony rep kept reiterating that there wasn't a "price drop."

Pretty shady shit.

theart0f69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I also heard (From a GameStop Rep) that Sony is gonna sell out the remaining 60 GB PS3's at $499, then they plan on releasing another one with an 80 GB HD, and pack in MotorStorm and sell it at $599 once again. Now, people, what kind of idiotic shit is that? Like 20 more GB's is all that damn much. And they still don't see that most consumers don't have a problem with their Hardware, its the fuccin price and lack of software that is gettin' Sony's ass kicked. I hope they do that fucc shit, cuz that will put the proverbial nail in the coffin for them retarded fuccs. M$ will be like 50 Cent...Laughing all the way to the bank!

trekei

Star
Registered
theart0f69 said:
I also heard (From a GameStop Rep) that Sony is gonna sell out the remaining 60 GB PS3's at $499, then they plan on releasing another one with an 80 GB HD, and pack in MotorStorm and sell it at $599 once again. Now, people, what kind of idiotic shit is that? Like 20 more GB's is all that damn much. And they still don't see that most consumers don't have a problem with their Hardware, its the fuccin price and lack of software that is gettin' Sony's ass kicked. I hope they do that fucc shit, cuz that will put the proverbial nail in the coffin for them retarded fuccs. M$ will be like 50 Cent...Laughing all the way to the bank!

Yeah thats been stated from E3 when they announced the "price drop" , Which a bunch of us stated was kind of crazy because youre still in the same situation . BuT now a discontinue and I forgot about the bundle of a GAME , which i heard a rumor that the 80 GB is supposed to have rumble feature. Sony owes some of you all a fucking game and a rumble controller for free . No bs , no fan boy shit, Get on the fucking phone , if thats true , and start the fire.

Kim Jong Il

Support BGOL
Registered
Its true......

Kaz confirms it in this interview, wait til around 1:35.. the program is not in English but Kaz answers the questions in English...

http://atvs.vg.no/?id=10235

According to SCEE president David Reeves, the now-cheaper 60GB PS3 will be sold out in the US by the end of the month. Once they're gone? No more. Ever.

All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July.

Once that happens, he says, there'll be just the 80GB models. Which cost $599. So if you want in on some of that PS3 price-cut action, you'd best get cracking.

This announcement does little but raise a whole load of questions. Why announce such a short-term price-cut? Why is the president of SCE Europe saying this? Why are Europe and Australia still receiving models being phased out in the US? How long will the "limited edition" 80GB MotorStorm bundle last? Who knows. If you need me, I'll be out the back, scratching my head.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/say-what?/60gb-ps3-being-taken-out-to-pasture-278039.php

Jagi

OG Investor
Personally if i was reallyl desperate to get a ps3 now i would try to find one with out a hard drive or with a 20 gb drive..

you can just pop in 5400rpm SATA drive of any size anyway, its not like the 360 laptop drives.

all you would need is the ps3 drive config software.

i had 300gb drive in my ps2.

younggunna1004

Support BGOL
Registered
wow that pretty much guarantees that MGS4 will go multiplat konami already said they didn't think that price drop wasn't enough

Kim Jong Il

Support BGOL
Registered
MICROJUBEI said:
rumors are a mother fucka

http://198.65.131.81/board/showthread.php?t=183683

read please 60gb not going anywhere

It looks like you need to read,

No where in that article is there a denial that they are not phasing out the 6ogb model. He simply says that they "will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future." Of course they will have ample supplies of the 60gb for the foreseeable future because they there are tons of 60gb on shelves and in warehouses waiting to be shipped but once they are gone at the $499 price they are not going to make anymore.

Show me anywhere in that quote that he directly denies that the 60gb is not in production anymore once they sell out.

This is not just a rumor when the fucking president of the company is the one who made the statement..

Hirai Confirms Sony America To Phase Out 60GB PS3 Model

Hirai Confirms Sony America To Phase Out 60GB PS3 Model A spokesman from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) has confirmed to Gamasutra that the 60GB hard drive version of the PlayStation 3 will be phased out in the U.S., with no plans to replenish stock once current supplies run out.

The surprising news first came to light in an online interview with SCEE president David Reeves, in which he suggested that the 60GB version would cease to be available by as early as this month. This despite a $100 price cut for the console only having been announced on Monday and Sony proclaiming greatly increased sales as a result at its media briefing on Wednesday.

Gamasutra has confirmed the story with a SCEE spokesman, who indicated that “The US are currently transitioning from the 60GB to the 80GB mode of the PlayStation 3. When stock of the 60GB model runs out it will no longer be available in the U.S.”

The impact of this move in Japan is currently unclear, but the same spokesman was also able to confirm that there are currently no plans to release the 80GB console in Europe – where a new bundle for the 60GB model has just been announced, instead of a price cut.

With the 20GB version of the console already having been phased out in the U.S., this will leave the 80GB version of the console as the only model available. This version of the console will, like the European 60GB consoles, not include the PlayStation 2 Emotion Engine but instead rely upon software emulation of PlayStation 2 titles.

Since the 80GB model is sold for $599, with a free copy of MotorStorm, the move essentially cancels out the $100 price cut – which itself was greeted with only muted praise by many in the industry, with Konami and Capcom executives both suggesting that further cuts would be necessary.

[UPDATE: Speaking in a new video interview with Norwegian site VG Multimedia, Sony Computer Entertainment president Kaz Hirai has confirmed that the company is "no longer in production for [the 60GB model]."

"Once that product is gone from the retailer's shelves, then we're back to the $599 SKU only," said Hirai. "It's not like we have a two price strategy here in the US market. We found out very early on that consumers react mostly to having one SKU as opposed to two."]

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14685

King23

Potential Star
Registered
Sony is retarded. But i saw this coming nonetheless, their stupidity knows no boundary.

Now the real question is how much am i going to get for my ps3 in exchange for a 360......

Wii and 360 is all i need for this gen.

MICROJUBEI

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kim Jong Il said:
It looks like you need to read,

No where in that article is there a denial that they are not phasing out the 6ogb model. He simply says that they "will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future." Of course they will have ample supplies of the 60gb for the foreseeable future because they there are tons of 60gb on shelves and in warehouses waiting to be shipped but once they are gone at the $499 price they are not going to make anymore.

Show me anywhere in that quote that he directly denies that the 60gb is not in production anymore once they sell out.

This is not just a rumor when the fucking president of the company is the one who made the statement..

Hirai Confirms Sony America To Phase Out 60GB PS3 Model

Hirai Confirms Sony America To Phase Out 60GB PS3 Model A spokesman from Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) has confirmed to Gamasutra that the 60GB hard drive version of the PlayStation 3 will be phased out in the U.S., with no plans to replenish stock once current supplies run out.

The surprising news first came to light in an online interview with SCEE president David Reeves, in which he suggested that the 60GB version would cease to be available by as early as this month. This despite a $100 price cut for the console only having been announced on Monday and Sony proclaiming greatly increased sales as a result at its media briefing on Wednesday.

Gamasutra has confirmed the story with a SCEE spokesman, who indicated that “The US are currently transitioning from the 60GB to the 80GB mode of the PlayStation 3. When stock of the 60GB model runs out it will no longer be available in the U.S.”

The impact of this move in Japan is currently unclear, but the same spokesman was also able to confirm that there are currently no plans to release the 80GB console in Europe – where a new bundle for the 60GB model has just been announced, instead of a price cut.

With the 20GB version of the console already having been phased out in the U.S., this will leave the 80GB version of the console as the only model available. This version of the console will, like the European 60GB consoles, not include the PlayStation 2 Emotion Engine but instead rely upon software emulation of PlayStation 2 titles.

Since the 80GB model is sold for $599, with a free copy of MotorStorm, the move essentially cancels out the $100 price cut – which itself was greeted with only muted praise by many in the industry, with Konami and Capcom executives both suggesting that further cuts would be necessary.

[UPDATE: Speaking in a new video interview with Norwegian site VG Multimedia, Sony Computer Entertainment president Kaz Hirai has confirmed that the company is "no longer in production for [the 60GB model]."

"Once that product is gone from the retailer's shelves, then we're back to the $599 SKU only," said Hirai. "It's not like we have a two price strategy here in the US market. We found out very early on that consumers react mostly to having one SKU as opposed to two."]

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14685
what the fuxk is gamasutra------my info comes from engadget a reputable site--who at e3 sat with both jack and kaz presidents of scea and scei{ http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/13/engadget-and-joystiq-interview-kaz-hirai-and-jack-tretton-presid/ }---------what the fuxk is gamasutra.

i'm no internet shyt talker we will see in August if the 60 still around

MICROJUBEI

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
not even start a new thread about this one -----fuck it

Dave Karraker of Sony Computer Entertainment of America has contacted Joystiq to give us clarification on the story that would have made us believe Sony had truly lost its mind once and for all. The fun never ends, does it?

Karraker says the quotes from David Reeves are not accurate. He explains that if they had lowered the price in Europe, that territory would have run out of their current inventory by the end of July. He says in a statement, "As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/13/sony-says-60gb-is-not-over-in-us/

Jagi

OG Investor
MICROJUBEI said:

Dave Karraker of Sony Computer Entertainment of America has contacted Joystiq to give us clarification on the story that would have made us believe Sony had truly lost its mind once and for all. The fun never ends, does it?

Karraker says the quotes from David Reeves are not accurate. He explains that if they had lowered the price in Europe, that territory would have run out of their current inventory by the end of July. He says in a statement, "As announced this week, SCEA's product offering in North America consists of a 80GB PS3 available in August at $599 and a 60GB PS3 available now for $499. We have will have ample supplies of both models to meet the needs of our consumers for the foreseeable future."

to compare their pricing strategy against MS

sony put out a higher end model for the same price as their current highest model and lowered the price on the previous high end

microsoft put out a higher end model and raised the price for the new one...

BlackSmurf

I'm Blacksmurf bitch!
Registered
Until sony gets the PS3 to $399 on lower... THEY ARE FUCKED.

Tazirai

Star
Registered
Jagi said:
not that i believe it will happen

but this rumor is popping up more and more on the net...

This is true, we'll have to wait and See I guess. But Sony is definitely gonna do some shiesty shit. I have a gut feeling.. as Michael Chertov says.

I wouldn't put it past sony to do this. they've already done it in the past, WITH the PS3 at that. they got rid of lower priced model to sell higher priced unit. I can definitely see them pulling this crap.

Kim Jong Il

Support BGOL
Registered
MICROJUBEI said:

That quote is not a denial that they will phase out the 60gb model. Reading comprehension is lacking from Bgol cats. He said that they will not run out of the 60gb model anytime soon, but he never denied that they will not phase it out once they sell out and then replace it with the $600 80gb model.

Kaz Hirai directly says that once the 60gb model sells out it will be replaced right here in this interview directly from his mouth, what more proof do you need....

http://atvs.vg.no/?id=10235