Popular And Memorable Christmas Toys

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Which of these toys did Santa bring you back in the day. :rolleyes:
:hohoho::xmasbell::ornament:

18649bcbebps0jpg.jpg

Rock'em Sock'em Robots is a popular two-player action toy and game, designed by Marvin Glass and Associates and was first manufactured by Marx toy company in 1964. It features two dueling robotboxers mechanically manipulated by the players, and the game is won when one player knocks the head off of the opposed.

mr-potato-head_0.png

Mr. Potato Head
George Lerner of New York City invented Mr. Potato Head in 1949 by designing three-dimensional plastic face parts—eyes, ears, noses and mouths—that allowed children to make amusing playmates by pushing the sharp-pronged parts into fruits and vegetables. Originally, Lerner sold the toy to a cereal company that planned to use the plastic pieces as prizes in cereal boxes. The spud-headed fellow didn’t triumph, however, until Pawtucket, R.I.-based Hasbro bought Lerner’s idea and Mr. Potato Head became the first toy ever advertised on television in 1952.

Last edited:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i-8d9b47a8db281b52677dc94ffcf894b8-gamedor613.jpg

Electric football is a tabletop American football game played on a metal vibrating field. In 1947, Norman Sas, owner of Tudor Metal Products and Tudor Games, created electric football. He used a vibrating car race game made by Tudor as the base and added small players which moved down the field as they vibrated.[1] It was an immediate hit. More than 40 million of the games have been sold since its creation, and new editions are sold each year.

e0bcee9b4a2cd668baabc59adec4b1d2.jpg

Electronic Quarterback was a handheld electronic game made by Coleco in 1978. It was powered by a 9 volt battery or anAC adaptor, and it differentiated itself from the other similar handheld electronic football games of the era, notably Mattel Electronics's version, by having two blockers and giving the quarterback the ability to pass.

Like many electronic games in the late 1970s, it was also released by Sears under their own brand and the name Electronic Touchdown.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
had them both....as well as hot wheels and tracks (which I threw away after the first whooping with a hot wheel track). AFX slot racing as well as SSP racers

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i-8d9b47a8db281b52677dc94ffcf894b8-gamedor613.jpg

Electric football is a tabletop American football game played on a metal vibrating field. In 1947, Norman Sas, owner of Tudor Metal Products and Tudor Games, created electric football. He used a vibrating car race game made by Tudor as the base and added small players which moved down the field as they vibrated.[1] It was an immediate hit. More than 40 million of the games have been sold since its creation, and new editions are sold each year.

e0bcee9b4a2cd668baabc59adec4b1d2.jpg

Electronic Quarterback was a handheld electronic game made by Coleco in 1978. It was powered by a 9 volt battery or anAC adaptor, and it differentiated itself from the other similar handheld electronic football games of the era, notably Mattel Electronics's version, by having two blockers and giving the quarterback the ability to pass.

Like many electronic games in the late 1970s, it was also released by Sears under their own brand and the name Electronic Touchdown.

Had these two.....loud as vibrating football game

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
screen480x480.jpeg

Etch A Sketch is a mechanical drawing toy invented by André Cassagnes of France and subsequently manufactured by the Ohio Art Company.[1]

An Etch A Sketch has a thick, flat gray screen in a red plastic frame. There are two knobs on the front of the frame in the lower corners. Twisting the knobs moves a stylus that displaces aluminum powder on the back of the screen, leaving a solid line. The knobs create lineographic images. The left control moves the stylus horizontally, and the right one moves it vertically.

view_master.jpg

View-Master is the trademark name of a line of special-format stereoscopes and corresponding View-Master "reels", which are thin cardboard disks containing seven stereoscopic 3-D pairs of small color photographs on film.[1]

The View-Master system was introduced in 1939, four years after the advent of Kodachrome color film made the use of small high-quality photographic color images practical. Tourist attraction and travel views predominated in View-Master's early lists of available reels, most of which were meant to be interesting to users of all ages. Most current View-Master reels are intended for children.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
operation.jpg

Operation is a battery-operated game of physical skill that tests players' hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. The game's prototype was invented in 1964 by John Spinello, a University of Illinois industrial design student at the time, who sold his rights to the game to Milton Bradley for a sum of USD $500.[1] Initially produced by Milton Bradley in 1965, Operation is currently made by Hasbro, with an estimated franchise worth of USD $40 million.

400px-UltimateSIMON_game.png

Simon is an electronic game of memory skill invented by Ralph H. Baer and Howard J. Morrison,[1] with software programming by Lenny Cope, The original version was manufactured and distributed by Milton Bradley but now the game is currently manufactured by Hasbro. Much of the assembly language was written by Dr. Charles Kapps[citation needed], who taught computer science at Temple University and also wrote one of the first books on the theory of computer programming. Simon was launched in 1978 at Studio 54 in New York City and was an immediate success, becoming a pop culture symbol of the 1970s and 1980s.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
playdoh.jpg

Play-Doh is a modeling compound used by young children for art and craft projects at home and in school. Composed of flour, water, salt, boric acid, and mineral oil, the product was first manufactured in Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S., as awallpaper cleaner in the 1930s.[1] When a classroom of children began using the wallpaper cleaner as a modeling compound, the product was reworked and marketed to Cincinnati schools in the mid-1950s. Play-Doh was demonstrated at an educational convention in 1956 and prominent department stores opened retail accounts.[2]Advertisements promoting Play-Doh on influential children's television shows in 1957 furthered the product's sales.[1]Since its launch on the toy market in the mid-1950s, Play-Doh has generated a considerable amount of ancillary merchandise such as The Fun Factory.[3] In 2003, the Toy Industry Association named Play-Doh in its "Century of Toys List".

350px-2006-02-04_Metal_spiral.jpg

Slinky is a toy; a precompressed helicalspring invented by Richard James in the early 1940s. It can perform a number of tricks, including travelling down a flight of steps end-over-end as it stretches and re-forms itself with the aid of gravity and its own momentum, or appear to levitate for a period of time after it has been dropped. These interesting characteristics have contributed to its success as a toy in its home country of USA, resulting in many popular toys with slinky components in a wide range of countries.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
stretch_armstrong_alt.jpg

Stretch Armstrong was a large, gel-filled action figure first introduced in 1976 by Kenner.

at-tc-dp-figure-gear-open-small.jpg

G.I. Joe is a line of action figures produced by the toy company Hasbro.[3][4] The initial product offering represented four of the branches of the U.S. armed forces with the Action Soldier (U.S. Army), Action Sailor (U.S. Navy), Action Pilot (USAF), Action Marine (USMC) and later on, the Action Nurse. "G.I." is a generic term for U.S. soldiers. The development of G.I. Joe led to the coining of the term "action figure". G.I. Joe's appeal to children has made it an American icon among toys
  • 1974, named after the increasingly popular martial art, Hasbro introduced "Kung-Fu Grip" to the G.I. Joe line. This was another innovation that had been developed in the UK for Action Man. The hands were molded in a softer plastic that allowed the fingers to grip objects in a more lifelike fashion.
  • In 1976, G.I. Joe was given eagle eye vision; a movable eye mechanism to allow the toy to appear to be looking around when a lever in the back of the head was moved. This would be the last major innovation for the original line of 12-inch (30 cm) figures.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tumblr_nvpnhmfV161srxlrko1_500.jpg

Army men, or plastic soldiers, are simple toy soldiers that are about 5 cm (2 inches) tall and most commonly molded from green or other colored relatively unbreakable plastic. Unlike the more expensive toy soldiers available in hobby shops, army men are sold at low prices in discount stores, supermarkets, and dollar stores in bulk packaging. Also unlike many toy soldiers, army men are sold unpainted and almost always dressed in modern military uniforms and armed with 20th-century weapons.

lego_box.jpg

Lego[a] (/ˈlɛɡoʊ/[2]) is a line of plastic construction toys that are manufactured by The Lego Group, a privately held company based in Billund, Denmark. The company's flagship product, Lego, consists of colorful interlocking plastic bricks accompanying an array of gears, figurines called minifigures, and various other parts. Lego pieces can be assembled and connected in many ways, to construct objects such as vehicles, buildings, and working robots. Anything constructed can then be taken apart again, and the pieces used to make other objects.
The Lego Group began manufacturing the interlocking toy bricks in 1949.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
bigwheel1.jpg

A big wheel is a low-ridingtricycle, usually made of plastic, with an oversized front wheel. Introduced by Louis Marx and Company in 1969 and manufactured in Girard, Pennsylvania, the big wheel was a very popular toy in the 1970s in the United States, partly because of its low cost and partly because consumer groups said it was a safer alternative to the traditional tricycle or bicycle. It was marketed primarily to boys between eight and ten years of age,[1] and thus significantly bigger and older than with traditional tricycles.

huffy-16-inch-green-machine-junior-12835620-01.jpg

Green Machine, a model of tricycle manufactured by Huffy

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Great post. I have either had or purchased for my kids almost eveything that has been posted..

for those with sisters or daughters you can't forget this

1040517.jpg

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For SOL :rolleyes:
85e3ed15794cb32ef1a0651fddc437bf.jpg

Baby Alive is a baby doll made by Hasbro that eats, drinks, wets and in some cases messes. Its mouth moves. It is marketed as being lifelike. It was originally made and introduced by Kenner in 1973, and reintroduced by Hasbro in 2006.

15966966-large.jpg

Cabbage Patch Kids are a line of soft sculptured dolls created by Xavier Roberts and registered in the United States copyright office in 1978.
he doll brand went on to become one of the most popular toy fads of the 1980s and one of the longest-running doll franchises in America.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
connectfour_xl.jpg

The connect four game was first sold under the famous Connect Four trademark by Milton Bradley in February 1974.

tumblr_m8o9c5OBrP1qa2fht.jpg

Trouble is a board game in which players compete to be the first to send four pieces all the way around a board. Pieces are moved according to the roll of a die. Trouble was developed by the Kohner Brothers and initially manufactured by Irwin Toy Ltd., later by Milton Bradley (now part of Hasbro). The game was launched in the United States in 1965.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
tumblr_n7vufbqAlI1tb32yzo4_400.jpg

Nerf (trademarked in capitals as NERF) is a toy brand created by Parker Brothers and currently owned by Hasbro. Most of the toys are a variety of foam-based weaponry, but there are also several different types of Nerf toys, such as balls for sports like football, basketball, baseball, and others.

rubiks-cube.jpg

Rubik's Cube is a 3-Dcombination puzzle invented in 1974 by Hungarian sculptor and professor of architectureErnő Rubik. Originally called the Magic Cube, the puzzle was licensed by Rubik to be sold by Ideal Toy Corp. in 1980 via businessman Tibor Laczi and Seven Towns founder Tom Kremer,[5] and won the German Game of the Yearspecial award for Best Puzzle that year. As of January 2009, 350 million cubes had been sold worldwide making it the world's top-selling puzzle game.It is widely considered to be the world's best-selling toy.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
TonkaDumpTruck_Thumb.jpg

Tonka is a producer of toy trucks.Maisto International, which makes diecast vehicles, acquired the rights to use the Tonka name in a line of 1:64 scale diecast vehicles, featuring mostly trucks.

51N6ZGyBFTL._SX355_.jpg

Matchbox is a popular toy brand which was introduced by Lesney Products in 1953 and is now owned by Mattel, Inc. The brand was so named as the original die-cast Matchbox toys were sold in boxes similar in style and size to those in which matches were sold.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hungry_Hungry_Hippos.jpg

Hungry Hungry Hippos is a tabletop game made for 2-4 players, produced by Hasbro, under the brand of its subsidiary, Milton Bradley. The idea for the game was published in 1967 by toy inventor Fred Kroll and it was introduced in 1978. The objective of the game is for each player to collect as many marbles as possible with his or her 'hippo' (a toy hippo model).

Mouse_Trap_Board_and_Boxjpg.jpg

Mouse Trap (originally titled Mouse Trap Game) is a board game first published by Ideal in 1963 for 2 to 4 players. Over the course of the game, players at first cooperate to build a working Rube Goldberg-like mouse trap. Once the mouse trap has been built, players turn against each other, attempting to trap opponents' mouse-shaped game pieces.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
screen480x480.jpeg

Etch A Sketch is a mechanical drawing toy invented by André Cassagnes of France and subsequently manufactured by the Ohio Art Company.[1]

An Etch A Sketch has a thick, flat gray screen in a red plastic frame. There are two knobs on the front of the frame in the lower corners. Twisting the knobs moves a stylus that displaces aluminum powder on the back of the screen, leaving a solid line. The knobs create lineographic images. The left control moves the stylus horizontally, and the right one moves it vertically.

view_master.jpg

View-Master is the trademark name of a line of special-format stereoscopes and corresponding View-Master "reels", which are thin cardboard disks containing seven stereoscopic 3-D pairs of small color photographs on film.[1]

The View-Master system was introduced in 1939, four years after the advent of Kodachrome color film made the use of small high-quality photographic color images practical. Tourist attraction and travel views predominated in View-Master's early lists of available reels, most of which were meant to be interesting to users of all ages. Most current View-Master reels are intended for children.

oh snappppppppppppppp... i had a view master when i was young

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
bigwheel1.jpg

A big wheel is a low-ridingtricycle, usually made of plastic, with an oversized front wheel. Introduced by Louis Marx and Company in 1969 and manufactured in Girard, Pennsylvania, the big wheel was a very popular toy in the 1970s in the United States, partly because of its low cost and partly because consumer groups said it was a safer alternative to the traditional tricycle or bicycle. It was marketed primarily to boys between eight and ten years of age,[1] and thus significantly bigger and older than with traditional tricycles.

huffy-16-inch-green-machine-junior-12835620-01.jpg

Green Machine, a model of tricycle manufactured by Huffy
tears in my eyes..u couldn't tell me shit when i had my big wheel.. i actually won a preschool gold medal in a bike race...haha those bastards in training wheels laugh at me and my big wheel..lil did they know i was a monster goin up and down them hills...who got the gold in the end i did motherfuckers

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
connectfour_xl.jpg

The connect four game was first sold under the famous Connect Four trademark by Milton Bradley in February 1974.

tumblr_m8o9c5OBrP1qa2fht.jpg

Trouble is a board game in which players compete to be the first to send four pieces all the way around a board. Pieces are moved according to the roll of a die. Trouble was developed by the Kohner Brothers and initially manufactured by Irwin Toy Ltd., later by Milton Bradley (now part of Hasbro). The game was launched in the United States in 1965.

i still got these games chilling in my closet...u could pull these shit out at anytime and people will look like oh please i'm not playing that kid shit..next thing u kno mad motherfuckers trying to press the bubble to get that 6...man it's been yrs since i played that shit..mite have to dust that shit off and play in the future..in fact make it a lil more exciting by betting money

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ksdsX.jpg

The My Buddy doll line was a toy brand made by Hasbro in 1985 with the intention of making a doll to appeal to little boys and teach them about caring for their friends. This idea was both innovative and controversial for its time, as toy dolls were traditionally associated with younger girls. Hasbro also introduced a companion Kid Sister marketed toward girls.

Teddy_ruxpinBackpack.png

Teddy Ruxpin was an animatronic children's toy in the form of a talking bear. The bear's mouth and eyes moved while "reading" stories that were played on an audio tape cassette deck built into its back. It was created by Ken Forsse with later assistance by Larry Larsen and John Davies,[3] and the first version of the toy was designed by the firm RKS Design.[4] Later versions would use a digital cartridge in place of a cassette.[5] At the peak of his popularity, Teddy Ruxpin became the best-selling toy of 1985 and 1986, and the newest version was awarded the 2006 Animated Interactive Plush Toy of the Year by Creative Child Magazine.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LittleProf_LTA4276.jpg

The Little Professor is a backwards calculator designed for children ages 5 to 9. Instead of providing the answer to amathematical expression entered by the user, it generates unsolved expressions and prompts the user for the answer.

41i4Or-t36L._SY355_.jpg

The Speak & Spell line is a series of electronic hand-held child computers created by Texas Instruments that consist of a speech synthesizer, a keyboard, and a receptor slot to receive one of a collection of ROM game library modules (collectively covered under patent US 3934233). The first Speak & Spell was introduced at the summerConsumer Electronics Show in June 1978, making it one of the earliest handheld electronic devices with a visual display to use interchangeable game cartridges.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
You couldn't tell me shit when the parent hooked me up with this for Christmas in the early 80's::mike:

Michael+Jackson+Superstar+Doll+-+Thriller+Outf+92470.jpg