Philly comedian Chris Cotton dead at age 32

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Comedian Chris Cotton passes away at 32... as he and wife expect the birth of their first child
  • The comic's passing was announced via network Comedy Central on Wednesday
  • The cause of death has yet to be revealed
  • Cotton was known for his work on Comedy Central's Every Damn Day
  • He was also a regular on the Philadelphia stand-up circuit
  • Cotton is survived by wife and high school sweetheart Ericalynn, who he was expecting a child with
  • Comics and fans flocked to social media to express their condolences

22159222-0-image-a-1_1576165193500.jpg

Tragic: Comedian Chris Cotton has passed away at the age of 32. Pictured in 2015 above

Comedian Chris Cotton has died at the age of 32.

The Philadelphia native's passing was announced by Comedy Central on Wednesday.

The network released a statement which read: 'We’re devastated by the loss of Chris Cotton – a hilarious comedian, a beloved member of the Comedy Central family and a joy to be around. He will be missed.'

Cotton's cause of death is yet to be made public.

The comedian/writer worked on Comedy Central's Every Damn Day as well as the 2017 TV movie Diwal'oween, which he also appeared in.

Cotton also published a book titled What My Dad Did: My Theory On Joke Writing, in which he wrote about his father's experience working at inner city schools in South Philly.

He was active in the Philadelphia stand-up scene, even teaching classes at Philadelphia Comedy College.

Cotton was married to his high school sweetheart Ericalynn, who he wed in in May 2011. She is set to give birth to their first child next year.

Fellow comedians were shocked at the news, taking to social media to express their condolences and point people to fundraisers for his family.

Dave Attell wrote: 'What a terrible night, I am still in shock over the loss of Chris Cotton..he was young, fun and had so much left to do.....Its tragic. My heart goes out to his family.'

Writer Michelle Biloon reflected: 'What a total sh** year. Philly lost a great comic and a truly great person. My heart goes out to the family of Chris Cotton and all those close to him.'

She made sure to support Chris' wife by sharing a link to the couple's Amazon baby registry.

Hannibal Burress also send his condolences, tweeted about working with Chris.

'A few weeks ago Chris Cotton randomly hit me up to thank me for a gig I got him YEARS ago that led to some other work for him,' he wrote. 'I was in the middle of booking Isola Fest and booked him during the call. I was psyched to see him this weekend. RIP.'

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I knew Chris. Knew him back when he was in Philly hitting up the open mic scene. Made the smart move early in his career and started running the NY comedy circuit instead. Sad day