Jboogiee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The chief and entire command staff of the police department in Rochester, New York, stepped down on Tuesday — among other department changes — as outrage continued over the death of Daniel Prude, a Black man with mental health issues who died after having been put in a "spit hood" and restrained by officers in March.

Chief La'Ron Singletary announced that he would be retiring after 20 years on the force, according to a news release from the department. Singletary said the events of the past week "are an attempt to destroy my character and integrity."

By describing his departure as a retirement, and filing his retirement papers, the chief and the other officers will be able to draw on their pension and health benefits.

"The members of the Rochester Police Department and the Greater Rochester Community know my reputation and know what I stand for," Singletary, 40, said in his resignation letter. "The mischaracterization and the politicization of the actions that I took after being informed of Mr. Prude's death is not based on facts, and is not what I stand for."

Deputy Chief Joseph Morabito and Commander Fabian Rivera also announced their retirements Tuesday. Two other high ranking officials, Deputy Chief Mark Simmons and Commander Henry Favor, returned to a lower ranking of lieutenant.

Mayor Lovely Warren said during a City Council briefing Tuesday that the "entire Rochester police command staff" has retired and that "there may be a number of others that will decide to leave, as well." She insisted to the council Tuesday that Singletary was not asked to resign and that she felt he had given his "very best."

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Man_Of_STeeL

鋼鉄の人 - より似たチタン
Platinum Member

37ANk.jpg

37ANm.jpg

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
trayford-pellerin-cropped-for-web.jpg

RIP​

Louisiana officials are investigating the police shooting of a 31-year-old Black man
By Chandler Thornton and Dakin Andone, CNN

Updated 6:56 AM ET, Mon August 24, 2020

200822142648-trayford-pellerin-shooting-restricted-large-169.jpg

A man kneels to say a prayer outside convenience store on Evangeline Thruway where a man was shot and killed by Lafayette Police. Saturday, Aug. 22, 2020.
(CNN)Louisiana State Police are investigating the death of Trayford Pellerin, a 31-year-old Black man who was fatally shot Friday night during an encounter with officers from the Lafayette Police Department.
Officers were called to a Lafayette convenience store shortly after 8 p.m. Friday to respond to a "disturbance involving a person armed with a knife," according to a statement from the Louisiana State Police.
The police found Pellerin in the store's parking lot with a knife, the statement says. When officers tried to apprehend him, Pellerin left and officers followed on foot. The police used Tasers as they pursued him, the statement says, "but they were ineffective."
The officers shot Pellerin as he tried to enter a convenience store along NW Evangeline Thruway, according to Louisiana State Police. Pellerin was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.

How George Floyd's death ignited a racial reckoning that shows no signs of slowing down
How George Floyd's death ignited a racial reckoning that shows no signs of slowing down

State police said no officers were injured and that the investigation is "active and ongoing." No further information was available.
Asked for comment, the Lafayette Police Department referred CNN to the Louisiana State Police Bureau of Investigation, which is leading the investigation following a request Friday from the Lafayette police.
Pellerin's death comes near the end of a summer that has seen widespread protests and outrage over racial injustice and police brutality following the police killings of Black people like George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Kentucky.
Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump said in a statement sent to CNN that he was among the lawyers representing Pellerin's family. Crump called for the officers involved to be fired.
"We refuse to let this case resolve like so many others: quietly and without answers and justice," said Crump, who also represents the families of Floyd and Taylor.
"The family, and the people of Lafayette, deserve honesty and accountability from those who are sworn to protect them -- the Lafayette police," he added.

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
WUP HOLD UP...

SCRATCH what I posted about Johnathan Price from the record.

Let Mr. Price hold his own nuts - oh wait. He can't.

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
CSGDW3KWW5H6FBCY74XKBPV6XA.jpg

fatal shooting
Waukegan police shooting: Family of couple shot by officer hold protest march, woman speaks for first time since being shot
Families of Marcellis Stinnette, Tafarra Williams demanding answers

By Diane Pathieu

WAUKEGAN (WLS) -- Protesters gathered in Waukegan Thursday after a police officer shot a young couple while on patrol, killing a 19-year-old man.

The families of a young couple shot by the officer are demanding answers. People joined the families to protest at the site of the shooting and then marched to the Waukegan police station.

The family of 19-year-old Marcellis Stinnette said he was killed while sitting inside a car with his girlfriend, 20-year-old Tafarra Williams, a mother of two, who was driving the vehicle.

WATCH: Statement from Waukegan police commander

Edgar Navarro, commander with Waukegan police department, gives a statement following the fatal shooting Tuesday night.

Williams' family said she was shot in the stomach and hand and remains hospitalized. While his family maintains that Stinnette died at the scene, police said he died at the hospital.

"Why did you shoot? I didn't do nothing wrong. I have a license. You didn't tell me I was under arrest. Why did you just flame up my car like that? Why did you shoot?," Williams asked from her hospital bed.

"When I got there, she said, "Mama, they just shot us for nothing," said Clifftina Johnson, mother of Williams. "My daughter said she put her hand up, and if she didn't put her hand up, she said, 'Mama, I would be dead.'"

Authorities said it all started with a report of a suspicious vehicle near Liberty and Oak just before midnight on Tuesday, but families said the couple was simply sitting inside their car outside her mother's home. Police said when an officer went to investigate, the car drove off.

Moments later, another officer spotted the car near Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and South Avenue, police said. As that officer approached on foot, the car reversed and the officer fired his pistol out of "fear for his safety," police said.

"A second officer located the vehicle in the area of MLK and South Street," said Waukegan Edgar Navarro. "The officer exited the vehicle and the vehicle that he was investigating then began to reverse. The officer fired into the vehicle."

"The police officer got out of the car. When he told them to stop, he told her to stop, she was scared. She put her up hands, she started yelling, 'Why you got a gun?' She started screaming. He just started shooting," said Darrell Mosier, witness.

WATCH: Full press conference with Waukegan police, Lake Co. state's attorney and Waukegan mayor

Waukegan Police Department Commander Edgar Navarro, Lake County Attorney Mike Nerheim and Mayor Sam Cunningham speak Wednesday afternoon following fatal police incident.

As police approached the car, Williams' mother said she handed over her license and listened to the officer's directions.

"I heard the girl. Her hands went up. She said, 'I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I didn't mean it. I didn't try to run you over. We got no guns or nothing,'" Mosier added today during the protest.

Williams was wounded, but Stinnette, the father of her child. was killed. Police said no weapon was found in the couple's car.

The investigation is being led by Illinois State Police and the two police officers have been placed on administrative leave.

Williams' mother said she does not believe the police account of what happened, and hired an attorney to help.

The families, along with the Rainbow PUSH Coalition, are demanding to see all the footage from Waukegan police and that the attorney general take over the investigation.

"Tafarra, justice will be served because they left you to speak for the ones that can't speak," Johnson said.

Body camera and squad car video was turned over to the Illinois State Police, who are investigating the incident, Commander Navarro said in his statement.

Lake County Attorney Mike Nerheim said the investigation will be handed over to his office after the state police complete their investigation. The case file will be made public on the state attorney's website at the time he reviews the investigation, Nerheim added.

Protestors marched through the streets of Waukegan in search of clarity, but the Stinnette family is trying to make peace with Marcellis' death.

"And the police officer, he's forgiven," said Sherrellis Sheria Stinnette, mother of Marcellis. "I have to forgive him. That's what God wants me to do."

"We would like justice, but we also would like police reform, said Zhanellis Banks, sister of Marcellis.

The officer who fired shots is a Hispanic man who has been on the force for five years, Commander Navarro said.

Waukegan Mayor Sam Cunningham encouraged anyone with additional information or surveillance video to bring forth evidence for investigators to make the best decision.

FULL STATEMENT FROM LAKE COUNTY STATE'S ATTORNEY MICHAEL NERHEIM:
I have been advised that a Waukegan Police Officer was involved in an incident last night that resulted in one person being shot and killed and a second shot and seriously wounded. In that regard, Waukegan Police officials released a statement this afternoon regarding the incident, which I have attached at the end of this release.
It is important for residents and media members alike to understand the process that takes place in these types of cases.
First, the Waukegan Police Department has called in the Illinois State Police to conduct a thorough, independent investigation into the shooting. It's important to note the Illinois State Police will conduct this investigation on their own, and that the Waukegan Police Department will play no role whatsoever in the investigation.
Once the Illinois State Police completes their investigation, the entire investigation will be turned over to my office for a thorough review. I do not receive any information until the entire investigation is complete, which can take several weeks to finish.
Once I have had the opportunity to review the entire investigation, I will make a determination regarding whether the officers violated any laws. Should it be determined the officers violated a law, they will be criminally charged. If laws were not broken, I will write up a detailed statement that will completely review the facts, show the evidence, explain applicable laws, and give our reasoning for the final decision. At that time, the case entire file will be made available to the public on the state's attorney's website at www.lcsao.org.

Again, it's important to reiterate this process takes time. In addition, there are ethical rules which restrict our ability to release information while the investigation is pending. These rules are in place to ensure a fair and accurate investigation.
I am certainly aware these situations are potentially volatile and elicit many emotions. I strongly urge and hope for continued calm and patience as the investigation takes place.
Finally, our deepest condolences go out to the families and friends of the person that was killed and our prayers for a speedy recovery go out to the person injured in this unfortunate situation.

FULL STATEMENT FROM WAUKEGAN POLICE DEPARTMENT
On October 20, 2020 at approximately 11:55pm a police officer (officer #1) from the Waukegan Police Department's (WPD) Patrol Division was investigating an occupied vehicle in the area of Liberty Street and Oak Street. The vehicle was occupied by two people. While conducting the investigation, the vehicle fled from officer #1.
Moments later another police officer (officer #2) spotted the vehicle in the area of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and South Avenue. While officer #2 was out of his vehicle, and approaching the suspect vehicle, it began to reverse. Officer #2 fired his semi-automatic pistol, in fear for his safety.
The driver and passenger were both struck by gunfire. The driver was taken to an area hospital with serious injuries, but expected to recover. The driver is currently being identified as a female black in her 20s from Waukegan.
The passenger was taken to an area hospital where he later passed, due to his injuries. The passenger is currently being identified as a male black in his late teens from Waukegan. Lake County Illinois Coroner Dr. Howard Cooper has scheduled an autopsy for later today. Once the autopsy has been completed and proper family notifications have been made, Coroner Dr. Cooper will release the passenger's identity.
Waukegan Police Chief Wayne Walles requested that the Illinois State Police (ISP) - Zone 1 Investigations respond to the incident and investigate the shooting. Once the ISP has completed their investigation, those findings will be presented to the Lake County Illinois State's Attorney's Office for review.
No firearm was recovered from the fleeing vehicle. The WPD is a body camera and squad car camera department.
Officer #1 is a male white with 5 years of experience at the WPD.
Officer #2 is a male Hispanic with 5 years of experience at the WPD.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Look at THIS muhfucka here! :curse: He's trying to sue Kenneth Walker for HIS job-related injury? FOH!

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
9e324fbd-8811-475f-9ca5-d4a5e90c1f64-Screenshot_26.png

I can't even begin to express how sorry the Police are. They want to have all of the toys and munitions of a military unit, but are horrified at the thought of assaulting an objective. When the military has to take a building, a hill, or whatever else, there is no taking cover and shouting useless commands/demands to someone who's writhing in pain and are in shock.

Not one of them would approach this dude, but would eventually sic a dog on his dead body.

They shot him at point-blank range and fired at least 20 rounds of pepper into his back, and were STILL too cowardly to approach this man while he's downed.

Last edited:

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It took Portland, Ore., almost $1 million in legal fees, efforts by two mayors and a police chief, and years of battle with the police union to defend the firing of Officer Ron Frashour — only to have to bring him back. Today, the veteran white officer, who shot an unarmed Black man in the back a decade ago, is still on the force.
Sam Adams, the former mayor of Portland, said the frustrated disciplinary effort showed “how little control we had” over the police. “This was as bad a part of government as I’d ever seen. The government gets to kill someone and get away with it.”
After the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis officers in May spurred huge protests and calls for a nationwide reset on law enforcement, police departments are facing new state laws, ballot proposals and procedures to rein in abusive officers. Portland and other cities have hired new chiefs and are strengthening civilian oversight. Some municipal leaders have responded faster than ever to high-profile allegations of misconduct: Since May, nearly 40 officers have been fired for use of force or racist behavior.

Months of protests in Portland followed the killing of George Floyd in May.Credit...Mason Trinca for The New York Times
But any significant changes are likely to require dismantling deeply ingrained systems that shield officers from scrutiny, make it difficult to remove them and portend roadblocks for reform efforts, according to an examination by The New York Times. For this article, reporters reviewed hundreds of arbitration decisions, court cases and police contracts stretching back decades, and interviewed more than 150 former chiefs and officers, law enforcement experts and civilian oversight board members.
While the Black Lives Matter protests this year have aimed to address police violence against people of color, another wave of protests a half-century ago was exploited to gain the protections that now often allow officers accused of excessive force to avoid discipline.
That effort took off in Detroit, partly as a backlash to the civil rights movement of the 1960s, when police officers around the country — who at times acted as instruments of suppression for political officials or were accused of brutality in quelling unrest — felt vulnerable to citizen complaints.
Newly formed police unions leveraged fears of lawlessness and an era of high crime to win disciplinary constraints, often far beyond those of other public employees. Over 50 years, these protections, expanded in contracts and laws, have built a robust system for law enforcement officers. As a result, critics said, officers empowered to protect the public instead were protected from the public.
In many places, the union contract became the ultimate word. The contract overrode the city charter in Detroit. The contract can beat state law in Illinois. The contract, for years, has stalled a federal consent decree in Seattle.
Editors’ Picks
It’s 2020. Indigenous Team Names in Sports Have to Go.
Rev. William Barber on Greed, Poverty and Evangelical Politics
The Afterlife of Breonna Taylor
Many police contracts and state laws allow officers to appeal disciplinary cases to an arbitrator or a review board, giving them final say. Arbitrators reinstate about half of the fired officers whose appeals they consider, according to separate reviews of samplings of cases by The Times and a law professor. Some arbitrators referred to termination as “economic capital punishment” or “economic murder.”
Disciplinary cases often fall apart because of contractual or legal standards that departments must show a record of comparable discipline: A past decision not to fire makes it harder to fire anyone else.
Because many departments don’t disclose disciplinary action for police misconduct and there is no public centralized record-keeping system, it is difficult to determine how many cases are pursued against officers, and the outcomes.
And police chiefs acknowledge that they don’t always seek the discipline they think is warranted. That can lead to problem officers remaining on the streets. Rather than gamble on arbitration, some chiefs allow officers to quit or opt for financial settlements, which can enable them to move on to other departments with seemingly unblemished records.
“You would pay them to leave,” said Roger Peterson, the former police chief in Rochester, Minn., who said he had negotiated such payments for about a dozen officers during his 19-year tenure. “It stunk.”
8 Officers Fired in 2020 and Appealing Their Cases

April 21 — Houston officers fatally shot Nicolas Chavez, 27, who appeared agitated and was holding a piece of rebar the police thought was a knife. Officers initially fired three times — shots later deemed “objectively reasonable.” After Mr. Chavez pulled a Taser toward him that was on the ground, officers fired 21 more times, killing him.
Officer status — The four officers who fired the 21 shots — Luis Alvarado, Benjamin LeBlanc, Patrick T. Rubio and Omar Tapia — were dismissed in September and are appealing. The union president, Douglas Griffith, said they had “acted in the way they were trained.”

June 12 — Officer Garrett Rolfe of the Atlanta police fatally shot Rayshard Brooks, 27, after Mr. Brooks was found apparently asleep in his parked car in a parking lot. Officers did a sobriety test and moved to arrest him. Mr. Brooks hit one of them, fired an officer’s Taser and took off running. Mr. Brooks turned and fired the Taser again. Officer Rolfe shot Mr. Brooks twice in the back.
Officer status — Officer Rolfe was quickly terminated and charged with murder and aggravated assault. He is suing the city to get his job back.

Oct. 20 — Officer Dante Salinas of Waukegan, Ill., fatally shot Marcellis Stinnette, 19, and injured his girlfriend, Tafara Williams, 20, who was driving the car they were in. She had earlier driven away from an officer who tried to arrest Mr. Stinnette on an out-of-state warrant. Officer Salinas said that he had feared for his life because he thought their car

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor

KILLEEN, Texas — Doorbell video shows the moments leading up to when a Black man was shot and killed by a Killeen police officer on Sunday.
The video shows Patrick Warren Sr. come out of his house and approach the officer while waving his hands.
National civil rights attorney Lee Merritt, who's working with the family, said they called police to ask for a mental health professional when they noticed changes in Warren's behavior.

Merritt said the family was told a mental health deputy was not available, so a police officer was sent.
In the video, which was posted to the social media pages of civil rights activist Shaun King, the officer comes to the door and then announces he is coming in the house.
Merritt said Warren then asked the officer to leave, which he does.
The video then cuts to Warren walking out of the house waving his arms at the officer. The officer can be heard telling Warren to get on the ground but Warren keeps walking toward him.

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Ronell Foster was riding his bicycle through the hushed streets of Vallejo, Calif., one evening when a police officer noticed that the bike had no lights and that he was weaving in and out of traffic.
The officer, Ryan McMahon, went after Foster with lights flashing, siren blaring and the car's spotlight pointed directly at him. Foster stopped. The pair exchanged words before Foster, who was on community supervision for a car theft conviction a month earlier, fled, eventually ditching the bicycle. McMahon caught up with Foster and jumped on top of him. The two struggled. McMahon, a rookie on the force, used a Taser on the father of two and struck him several times with his department-issued flashlight. Gunfire erupted — seven shots total. When it was over, Foster, 33, lay dying in the bushes in a darkened courtyard near an apartment complex.
Solano County District Attorney Krishna Abrams declined to bring charges against McMahon, who is white, saying the February 2018 fatal shooting of Foster, who was Black and unarmed, was justified. In a Jan. 31, 2020, letter to the Vallejo police chief, Abrams said that Foster "posed an immediate and extreme threat" to McMahon and that it was "objectively reasonable for Officer McMahon to defend himself and open fire on Foster."
Article continues after sponsor message

Enlarge this image
Ronell Foster was fatally shot by Vallejo, Calif., police Officer Ryan McMahon in 2018 after being stopped for riding his bicycle without a light. Foster was unarmed.
Foster family
A year later, he shot again.
This time, the slain man was aspiring Black rapper Willie McCoy, who was asleep in his silver Mercedes CLS500 outside a Taco Bell shortly before 11 p.m. on Feb. 9, 2019. An employee called 911 to report that McCoy was slumped over the steering wheel and blocking the drive-through. When McMahon and other officers arrived — six in all — one of them spotted a semiautomatic pistol in McCoy's lap. As McCoy slowly awoke, he moved his hand to scratch his chest, according to a report by an expert the city hired to review the shooting. Officers believed he was reaching for the gun, so they fired 55 shots in 3.5 seconds. McMahon said he fired after believing that the officers and residents were in "imminent danger." Officials cleared him over his role in that killing, too, but he was fired in September for violating department policy during the shooting "by engaging in unsafe conduct and neglect for basic firearm safety," a department official said.
"It's a very sad situation," McMahon said in a brief interview with NPR. "It's something I'm still dealing with. It hasn't gone away."
The deadly shootings of unarmed Black men and women by police officers in the U.S. have increasingly garnered worldwide attention over the last few years. The 2014 killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., sparked a week of protests that catapulted the Black Lives Matter movement into the national spotlight. Since then, tens of thousands of people across the country have taken to the streets to protest police brutality of Blacks by mostly white officers.

Since 2015, police officers have fatally shot at least 135 unarmed Black men and women nationwide, an NPR investigation has found. NPR reviewed police, court and other records to examine the details of the cases. At least 75% of the officers were white. The latest one happened this month in Killeen, Texas, when Patrick Warren Sr., 52, was fatally shot by an officer responding to a mental health call.
For at least 15 of the officers, such as McMahon, the shootings were not their first — or their last, NPR found. They have been involved in two — sometimes three or more — shootings, often deadly and without consequences.
Those who study deadly force by police say it's unusual for officers to be involved in any shootings.
"Many officers will go their entire career without shooting — sometimes without pulling their gun out at all," said Peter Scharf, a criminologist and professor in the School of Public Health at Louisiana State University and co-author of The Badge and the Bullet: Police Use of Deadly Force. "It's rare."
Not every law enforcement agency releases detailed information about police shootings. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the Kansas City, Mo., Police Department, for example, refused to release specifics such as officer names or their race, citing open investigations.
Still, NPR reviewed thousands of pages of job applications, personnel records, use-of-force reports, citizen complaints, court records, lawsuits, news releases, witness statements and local and state police investigative reports to examine the backgrounds of the officers and analyze details of each shooting. We also interviewed use of force experts, criminologists, police, lawyers, prosecutors and relatives of victims.
Among NPR's other findings:
  • At least six officers had troubled pasts before being hired onto police departments, including drug use and domestic violence. One officer had been fired from another law enforcement agency, and at least two others were forced out.
  • Several officers were convicted of crimes while on the force, such as battery, and resisting and obstructing, but kept their jobs. In one instance, officials in a tiny Louisiana parish repeatedly fired and rehired a deputy who got into trouble with the law: three times over 30 years, records show.
  • More than two dozen officers have racked up citizen complaints or use-of-force incidents. A Fort Lauderdale, Fla., police officer had 82 reviews over use-of-force incidents but was never found in violation; a Vineland, N.J., officer had more than three dozen use-of-force incidents over a five-year period.
  • Several officers have violated their department policies and been cited for ethics violations, including a Hollywood, Fla., officer accused of trying to steer business to his company, and an Arizona state trooper accused of misuse of state property.
Nineteen of the officers involved in deadly shootings were rookies, with less than a year on the force. One was on the job for four hours, another for four days. More than a quarter of the killings occurred during traffic stops, and 24 of the dead — 18% — suffered from mental illness. The youngest person shot was a 15-year-old Balch Springs, Texas, high school freshman who played on the football team. The oldest was a 62-year-old man killed in his Los Angeles County home. Nearly 60% of the shootings occurred in the South, with more than a quarter in Texas, Georgia and Louisiana, NPR found.
The killings have led to at least 30 judgments and settlements totaling more than $142 million, records show. Dozens of lawsuits and claims are pending.

Charmaine Edwards (left) speaks to supporters during a protest outside a courthouse in Dallas in 2017. Her stepson, Jordan Edwards, was a 15-year-old in Balch Springs, Texas, when he was shot and killed by police.
LM Otero/AP
An examination of individual cases reveals the myriad ways that law enforcement agencies fail to hold officers accountable and allow them to be in a position to shoot again. In many instances, the criminal justice system refuses to prosecute, often resulting in departments putting officers back on the street instead of desk jobs where they have little contact with the public. Other times, police unions protect officers from accountability. And sometimes, departments are so desperate to recruit officers that they ignore warning signs such as an officer's troubled past and hire them anyway.
"Why do they get passes on killing people?" asked Paula McGowan, Foster's mother. "If the system was right ... they would hold these people accountable."
"Unnecessary and unreasonable"
Nathaniel Pickett II was walking back to his $18-a-night room at the El Rancho, a seen-better-days bungalow motel along historic Route 66 in Barstow, Calif. It was shortly after 9 p.m. on Nov. 19, 2015, and Nate, as his family called him, often took evening walks. As the 29-year-old former engineering student crossed the street, he caught the eye of Kyle Woods, a San Bernardino sheriff's deputy. Woods made a U-turn into the motel parking lot, jumped out of his cruiser and approached Pickett, police records show.
He demanded Pickett's name and birthdate. Pickett complied. In fact, he did everything Woods asked of him, including taking his hands out of his pockets. When Woods asked him if he lived at the motel and where he was from, Pickett said he didn't know. When Pickett asked if he had done something wrong, the deputy said he just wanted to talk to him.
"What's the problem?" Pickett asked Woods nine times as the deputy peppered him with questions about whether he had ever been arrested (yes), if he had lived in Barstow all of his life and where he was going.
"There is no problem," Woods responded.
Pickett asked if he could go to his room where he had lived since moving to Barstow seven weeks earlier. Woods would later admit under oath that he knew he had no probable cause to arrest him and that Pickett had the right to walk away. But when he tried, Woods grabbed him and told him to "stop resisting." Woods threatened to use a Taser on him. Pickett put his arms up and was running toward his room — Room 45 — when he tripped and fell in the breezeway. As he scooted backward from Woods, the deputy caught him. The two scuffled while a male citizen volunteer on patrol with Woods watched from a few feet away. Woods punched Pickett 15 to 20 times before pulling out his service weapon and threatening to shoot him. He fired, hitting Pickett twice in the chest — once with the barrel of the gun pressed against the man's chest.

Nathaniel Pickett II (right), who suffered from mental illness, was shot to death by a San Bernardino County, Calif., sheriff's deputy in 2015 after he was stopped while walking to a motel where he lived. Pickett was unarmed. His father (left) and mother sued the county and were awarded $33.5 million.
Nathaniel Pickett Sr.
"Ow," Pickett moaned. One of the bullets pierced his heart and left lung. Pickett was pronounced dead at the scene.
Woods, on the force for two years at the time but on the street for just a few months, said he shot him because he feared for his life.
Woods, who is Black, didn't give a statement to police about the incident for 28 days. And when he did, he said that he stopped Pickett after seeing him hop the motel fence. He thought Pickett was trespassing, and he was fidgety, like he might be under the influence, Woods said. Pickett had marijuana in his system, and his blood alcohol level was 0.01%, far below the level to be considered legally impaired, records show.
The deputy never faced criminal charges in Pickett's death, but the victim's family filed civil charges. And when he testified under oath at the civil trial, Woods told a different story: He said he never saw Pickett jump over the fence and that the gate actually was open. He also said it never occurred to him that Pickett could be mentally ill. Pickett was diagnosed with mental illness during his freshman year at Hampton University in Virginia and had been treated through the Mental Health Court in San Bernardino in 2012 after a conviction for resisting a peace officer and "false personation," records show.
Scott DeFoe, who spent two decades with the Los Angeles Police Department, testified as an expert witness at the civil trial. He said that Woods' use of force was "unnecessary and unreasonable."
"This is probably one of the worst cases I have looked at because of the mental health component," DeFoe testified. "There was no crime. ... He ran as he had a lawful right to do."
The jury in the civil trial was unanimous. Jurors agreed that Woods had no right to detain Pickett; used unreasonable or excessive force against him, which caused his death; and delayed getting him medical care. They awarded Pickett's family $33.5 million, one of the largest amounts ever in an officer-involved shooting case.
RACE
In 2020, Protests Spread Across The Globe With A Similar Message: Black Lives Matter
HIDDEN BRAIN
The Air We Breathe: Implicit Bias And Police Shootings

Nathaniel Pickett Sr., 65, said that Nate was the only child he had with Dominic Archibald, a two-time combat veteran and retired Army colonel. After their divorce in 1990 when Nate was not quite 5, the boy went to live with his mom. He became a Boy Scout and fancied Frank Sinatra music, art and sports — except football because he didn't like getting dirty. Archibald eventually enrolled him at the Fork Union Military Academy, an all-boys college preparatory boarding school in Virginia. She agreed to let him transfer in his senior year to Woodrow Wilson High School, a public school in Washington, D.C.
"We just wanted him to be happy," Pickett said.
Less than three years after Pickett's death, Woods was involved in a second on-duty shooting of another unarmed man.
Minutes after starting his 7 p.m.-7 a.m. shift on Jan. 14, 2018, Woods noticed the man, Ryan Martinez, driving his black Jeep in Barstow without an illuminated license plate. He activated his lights and siren, and hit the gas. During the pursuit, Martinez lost control of the car and ran off the road into a drainage ditch, police records show. The car flipped. Woods said he ordered Martinez to show his hands. He refused. Woods fired two shots at him but missed. Afraid that Martinez might have a gun, Woods used a Taser on him unsuccessfully before drive-stunning him in his leg. Woods then shot him in the chest and hand when he said the man "reached for his waistband area." Martinez, 27, survived. No gun was found at the scene, according to police records.
Woods was not wearing a body camera. Martinez did not respond to a request through his mother for an interview.
"He was shot 3" times, his mother, Kathy Searcy, said in a Facebook message to NPR that included photos of his bullet wounds. "Plus, he was being tased at the same time."
Michael Ramos, the San Bernardino County district attorney at the time of both shootings, declined to charge Woods, saying the deputy was justified in shooting both men. He said in a recent phone interview with NPR that he doesn't remember the cases but said he always adhered to the law when deciding whether to charge an officer with killing someone.

Then-San Bernardino County District Attorney Michael Ramos speaks during a press conference in 2018. In an interview with NPR, Ramos, now a former prosecutor, defended officers, saying that they have an impossible job.
Stan Lim/The Press-Enterprise Group via Getty Images
"Each case is different," said Ramos, who was the district attorney from 2003 to 2018, when he lost his reelection bid for a fifth term. "But when you apply the facts to the law, that's what you look at."
Ramos defended officers, saying that they have an impossible job.
"Taking someone's life is not easy," he said. "It's not something they brag about or high-five each other about. It's the last thing they want to do."
When asked if officers who kill unarmed people should be taken off the street, Ramos said that decision should remain with the departments.
"They should be given the resources, counseling and time off, but it's up to the chiefs," he said.
Authorities said that Woods "reasonably believed he had to use deadly force to protect his own life." He was placed on paid administrative leave for at least three days after each shooting, which is routine for officers involved in deadly force, said sheriff's department spokeswoman Jodi Miller.
Woods, 28, could not be reached for comment.
Vincent Ewing, the attorney who represented Woods and the county in the Pickett lawsuit, declined to comment on the record.
Pickett's father said he remains haunted by his son's killing.
"It doesn't ease with time," he said. "It still bothers me."
The most difficult time, he said, is when he occasionally sees Woods at the courthouse in Victorville, where the deputy is now assigned.
"He didn't show no remorse," Pickett said. "If he was remorseful, he would have said, 'Hey, I'm sorry.' "
Little accountability
The decision not to charge Woods is common. Authorities failed to charge officers in more than 80 cases, records show.
Of the officers involved in the deadly shootings of unarmed Black people over the last five years, 13 were charged with murder. Two were found guilty.
Three others charged with murder were acquitted, and one was found not guilty of murder but guilty of aggravated assault, false statements and violation of his oath of office. Seven murder cases are pending.
CODE SWITCH
A Decade Of Watching Black People Die
CODE SWITCH
How Segregation Shapes Fatal Police Violence

Of seven officers charged with manslaughter, two were found guilty.
In 33 shootings, officers were fired or resigned. At least three got their jobs back, and five went on to work for other law enforcement agencies, records show.
Philip Stinson, a criminal justice professor at Bowling Green State University in Ohio and former police officer in Virginia and New Hampshire, said it's difficult to prosecute officers charged with murder or manslaughter from an on-duty shooting because juries often sympathize with them.
"The courts are very reluctant to second-guess the split-second decisions of police officers in potentially violent street encounters that might be life-or-death situations," Stinson said. "They somehow seem to take everything that's been presented in the case, in the trial, and just disregard the legal standard."
Ronald C. Machen Jr., the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia for more than five years during the Obama administration, said that prosecuting police officers who gun down unarmed Black men and women will continue to be challenging until there are more "minorities in the system."
"This is why you need Black prosecutors and Blacks on juries — to hold people accountable," Machen said. "For police officers to have the credibility to do their jobs, they have to be held accountable."
One officer, five shootings
The decision not to hold officers accountable doesn't rest solely with prosecutors. Police unions often make it all but impossible to remove an officer from the force despite repeated shootings and other infractions.
Jerold Blanding was involved in five shootings — two off-duty and three on duty — during his 24-year career with the Detroit Police Department, a review of more than 1,700 pages of agency records shows. One was fatal. He also shot a pigeon and was investigated over assaults on police officers, improper conduct, harassment, excessive use of force, domestic violence and threats. Yet he kept his job.
Known for having a temper, Blanding started having trouble three years after his March 1994 hiring when he shot a man while off-duty at a Detroit nightclub, police records show. The victim survived. A year later, he was involved in another off-duty, nonfatal shooting at an ATM after a man who was confused mistakenly tried to get into Blanding's car. Blanding was exonerated in both cases.

Jerold Blanding was involved in five shootings — two off-duty and three on duty — during his 24-year career with the Detroit Police Department, agency records show. One was fatal.
Michigan Department of Corrections
An internal affairs investigation in 2001 found that he displayed improper conduct after assaulting a female cop he was dating at the time. In 2002, Blanding was accused of making threats, and a year later, internal affairs launched another investigation — this time, into his excessive use of force. He had a third shooting in 2004 while working in drug enforcement. That man survived.
In August 2015, Blanding fired 16 shots at a man inside a car during a domestic dispute. The man, DeMar Parker, had gone to the home of his ex-girlfriend, with whom he had a young daughter. An argument erupted, and a Detroit police officer, her son's father, was called. He then called for another officer to meet him at the house. That officer brought along Blanding. When Blanding and the other officer arrived, Parker jumped in his silver Cadillac and sped off. He returned minutes later waving a pistol, police records show. Blanding saw the gun and opened fire on Parker's car, claiming he thought Parker was going to shoot one of the other officers or run him over. The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office declined to bring criminal charges against Blanding, though the department found he violated policy. Parker sued and settled with the city for $97,750, according to the city attorney's office.
In February 2017, in the backyard of an abandoned home, Blanding, who is Black, fatally shot 19-year-old Raynard Burton.
Blanding and his partner were patrolling a neighborhood of mostly burned-out and boarded-up houses and overgrown lots on Detroit's west side when a green Pontiac Bonneville whizzed past. The car spun out of control and crashed into a building. Burton, the driver, ran. When Blanding eventually caught him, he claimed he saw the teen "grab at his waist as if he had a weapon," records show. Blanding grabbed Burton with one hand while holding his department-issued weapon in the other. The pair struggled, and Blanding shot him once in the chest before yelling for his partner and calling for a supervisor — and his union steward. Burton, who was pronounced dead at the scene, was unarmed.
Blanding was not charged in that case either and returned to his job.
"I don't think there's an excuse for keeping people like that," said Geoffrey Alpert, a police use-of-force expert and criminology professor at the University of South Carolina, after hearing the details of Blanding's case from NPR. "That's just ridiculous."
Alpert said that retaining troubled police officers is risky and "has enormous consequences."
"The point is you want to get good cops and not fill your coffers with these questionable cops," he said. "Because in the long run, they're going to cost you more money."
Richard Rosenfeld, a criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, said police unions play a major role in shielding officers.
"The most immediate obstacle is the union contract," Rosenfeld said. "The unions, all in the name of due process, have made it difficult to remove officers whose records indicate they engaged in serious misconduct."
Isaiah McKinnon, Detroit's police chief from 1994 to 1998, agreed. He said that city officials and police supervisors involved in negotiating the contracts also are to blame for a department's inability to get rid of officers who repeatedly violate policy.
"You terminate them and see if they will fight their way back, and most do because of the union contract," said McKinnon, who also served as the city's deputy mayor. "The unions are there to protect officers, but often they're contributing to what the officers are doing."
Blanding's troubles continued to mount without consequences, records show. In December 2017, he was accused of being intoxicated on the job and having his gun taken from his lap while he allegedly slept. The weapon was returned "without further action." Two days before Christmas in 2017, he called 911 after a domestic violence incident. He told the dispatcher that he was carrying a gun and to "send someone before he is back on the news."
But in early 2018, while out on stress leave and ordered not to carry a gun, Blanding showed up at the scene of a pedestrian accident and refused to answer questions about who he was or comply with orders given by other officers, records show. He reeked of alcohol and had slurred speech, one officer said. A preliminary breath test indicated Blanding's blood alcohol content was 0.18%, more than twice the legal limit in Michigan. They found two weapons on him along with his department identification card indicating he had "no gun status," records show. He cursed at officers, called them rookies, was handcuffed and put in the back of a squad car. They arrested him for possession of a weapon while intoxicated and violating the concealed pistol license.
Blanding was charged with eight counts of assaulting, resisting and obstructing, eight counts of felony firearm and three counts of possession of firearms while under the influence of alcohol. He pleaded guilty to one felony count of assaulting, resisting and obstructing. He was fined, given probation and ordered to do community service and attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, according to Chris Gautz, spokesman for the Michigan Department of Corrections. Blanding retired in September 2018 with a full pension, according to a police department spokesman.
When reached at his home recently, Blanding, 51, declined a request for an interview.
"I'm still seeking therapy," he said.
Detroit Police Chief James Craig declined through a spokeswoman to discuss Blanding or why he allowed him to stay on the force after multiple shootings.
"Unions have got to understand that they can't continue to have people over and over again who are doing these things continue to be police officers," said McKinnon, the former chief.
"He just wasn't the best pick"
Zechariah Presley wanted to be a police officer because it offered him a chance at a career where he could "make a difference." So, in May 2016, he applied to the St. Marys Police Department, a 32-member force in a town of 18,500 residents in southeastern Georgia, not far from the Florida state line.
Officials found that he "did not respond truthfully" to several questions during a truth verification exam and did poorly during candidate interviews, internal reports show. Department officials rejected him, saying he was "not a good candidate" and "very weak." He also acknowledged he lost a conditional job offer with a law enforcement agency in Texas after making a "sexual innuendo," records show.
"He just wasn't the best pick," Timothy Hatch, who was St. Marys police chief at the time, said in an interview with NPR. "He didn't come across in our interview process as someone who needed to be behind the badge."
Presley went 8 miles to the next town over and applied at the 40-member Kingsland Police Department a year later. He acknowledged on his background questionnaire of being involved in domestic violence, assault, buying or selling drugs, and other incidents. An internal report found Presley had 10 red flags and recommended officials review them before deciding whether to hire him.
They hired Presley anyway in July 2017.
Within months, residents filed complaints about him.
In a complaint, one 43-year-old Black man wrote that one day after he'd complained to the chief about the officer's conduct, Presley came and parked in front of his house. "I'm living in fear of my life," the man wrote, because of the abuse of power and constant harassment on traffic stops.

Former Kingsland, Ga., police Officer Zechariah Presley was found not guilty of manslaughter in the 2018 shooting death of Anthony Green, who was Black and unarmed. The officer was hired on the force despite numerous red flags, including a rejection from another police department in a neighboring town.
Kingsland, Ga., Police Department via AP
A Black female resident wrote that Presley followed her for about a mile and then stopped her for failing to use a turn signal when she changed lanes. She alleged that Presley racially profiled her. Presley is white.
Presley had seven use-of-force incidents in six months, three involving Tasers, records show. He once used a stun gun on a substitute teacher at the county Board of Education office. He was investigated internally twice within two days for misconduct. He received departmental warnings about violating policies and was suspended without pay for a day.
Yet he stayed on the force.
While on patrol one night in June 2018, Presley pulled into a convenience store parking lot and spotted a white Chrysler Pacifica and a man he recognized, Anthony Green. The two had a previous run-in, and he knew Green didn't have a valid license. As Green drove off, Presley followed him. Green ran his car onto the shoulder, prompting Presley to activate his blue lights. Green and a passenger jumped out and ran, but Green left his phone and went back to retrieve it, law enforcement records show. He took off running with Presley in tow, who unsuccessfully used a Taser on Green. When Green pushed him, Presley fired eight shots from his .40-caliber Glock, striking the 33-year-old Black man at least five times, including in his chest and back, according to records from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which handled the case. Green died at the scene.
Presley was charged with voluntary and involuntary manslaughter, and fired from the department. A jury of 11 whites and one Hispanic found him not guilty of manslaughter but guilty of violating the oath of public office in October 2019. A judge sentenced him to one year in prison and four years' probation, and ordered him to pay a $1,500 fine. Presley was released in May after serving seven months in prison.
Presley, 29, did not return phone calls seeking comment.
"The hiring of Zechariah Presley probably would not have taken place in my administration given the information I have," said Kingsland Police Chief Robert Jones, who took over the department in 2019.

Tony White holds a sign showing a photo of his slain cousin, Anthony Green, outside Kingsland City Hall in the southeastern Georgia town. Authorities say Green was fatally shot in 2018, while he fled Presley, then a Kingsland police officer.
Russ Bynum/AP
Jones and others acknowledged that departments often hire officers such as Presley because they're desperate to recruit and are willing to ignore red flags.
"We need bodies," Jones said. "Some places have been willing to lower the standards and bring bodies in, and it's a recipe for disaster."
Rosenfeld, the criminology professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, said that departments, mostly small ones that lack resources, are "more willing to look past misdeeds."
"Small departments that are strapped for officers take them where they can find them," he said.
Green's death has prompted changes in the Kingsland department, including mental health treatment for officers and a hiring board to review candidates, Jones said.
"It's more important for us to move forward, train properly and to show that the stigma of what happened with Presley will not be tolerated," he said.
LaMaurice Gardner, a police psychologist in Detroit, said the toll that one shooting — or more — takes on a police officer can be devastating.
"People don't realize the psychological effects a shooting takes on an officer and their family," said Gardner, who has worked as a reserve officer for 26 years in suburban Detroit. "You're investigated like you're a perpetrator. You can't work on the street. You can't get overtime. Your peer support is pulled away."
Gardner acknowledged that departments face difficult issues now with police shootings, including of unarmed Black men and women.
"Are there bad cops out there? Hell, yeah, there are," he said. "Policies need to be changed."
NPR's Emine Yücel contributed to this report.