'Paul's Boutique'! 10 Facts About the Beastie Boys' Misunderstood Classic

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BeastieBoysPaul'sBoutique.jpg

Happy Birthday, 'Paul's Boutique'! 10 Facts About the Beastie Boys' Misunderstood Classic

It’s easy to forget that the Beastie Boys’ second album, Paul’s Boutique, was considered a commercial flop when it came out on July 25, 1989. Following on the heels of their hugely successful 1986 debut, License to Ill — which went nine times platinum the year of its release and had everyone from urban teenagers to suburban housewives fighting for their right to party — Paul’s Boutique struggled to reach gold status.

The album also saw the Beasties parting ways with their original label, and Mike “Mike D” Diamond, Adam “Ad-Rock” Horowitz, and Adam “MCA” Yauch swapping their famous producer for L.A. duo the Dust Brothers, who had produced Tone-Lōc’s “Wild Thing.” Many people predicted that the trio’s demise was near.

Boy, did the Beasties prove those naysayers wrong. A quarter-century later, Paul’s Boutique is considered a classic that influenced countless artists across various genres. The album also helped three white guys from Brooklyn change the face of hip-hop. To mark its 26th anniversary, we take a look at some fascinating facts about Paul’s Boutique.
https://www.yahoo.com/music/happy-birthday-pauls-boutique-10-facts-about-124937535741.html

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beastie_Boys#Discography

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul's_Boutique

Studio albums

Paul's Boutique is the second studio album by the American hip hop group Beastie Boys, released on July 25, 1989, on Capitol Records. Featuring production by the Dust Brothers, the recording sessions for the album took place in Matt Dike's apartment and the Record Plant in Los Angeles from 1988 to 1989, after which the recordings underwent mixing at the Record Plant in Los Angeles. Subsequent remixes were done at the Manhattan-based Record Plant Studios. The album is noted for being almost completely composed of samples, excluding the group's vocal output.

Paul's Boutique was initially considered a commercial failure by the executives at Capitol Records, as its sales did not match that of the group's previous record, Licensed to Ill, and the label eventually decided to stop promoting the album. The album's popularity continued to grow, however, and it has since been touted as a breakthrough achievement for the Beastie Boys. Highly varied lyrically and sonically, Paul's Boutique secured the Beastie Boys' place as critical favorites in the hip-hop genre. The album's rankings near the top of many publications' "best albums" lists in disparate genres has given Paul's Boutique critical recognition as a landmark album in hip hop.[1]

On January 27, 1999, Paul's Boutique was certified double platinum in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America.[2] In 2003, the album was ranked number 156 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.[3] The album was re-released in a 20th anniversary package remastered in 24-bit audio and featuring a commentary track on January 27, 2009.[4]

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BY SAMA'AN ASHRAWI
JULY 25, 2017
THE 28 MOST OBSCURE POP CULTURE REFERENCES ON ‘PAUL’S BOUTIQUE’
The Beastie Boys in Beast Mode
The profoundly dusted follow-up to the Beastie Boys’ landmark, diamond-selling, tongue-in-cheek party record, Licensed to Ill, starts off with the Boys dropping the needle on an Idris Muhammad record, “Loran Dance” (1974).
Over booming bass and dreamy key strokes courtesy of Bob James, Adam “MCA” Yauch’s still youthful voice shouts out ostensibly all the women they may have offended during the Ill years. One would like to imagine the Boys in a treehouse, flashlights in hand, joints pre-rolled, using “Loran Dance” as a cleansing of sorts, exorcising their demons, preparing themselves for the next chapter—a 53-minute odyssey that will involve choppers, psychedelics, vanquishing racists with raw eggs, white collar robberies, cops chasing after the Boys in Plymouth Gran Furys, and enough pop culture references to last a lifetime.
The Beasties were the original habitual reference droppers, long before The Game and Fabolous. As we celebrate the 28-year anniversary of the release of Miles Davis’ favorite album, let’s look back at 28 ultra-obscure pop culture references from Paul’s Boutique.
Full Article:https://massappeal.com/beastie-boys...pop-culture-references/#1-the-patty-duke-show

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
‘paul revere’ was the only song of theirs I gave a fuck about and that was solely bcuz of the beat...a real MC would have destroyed that fucking beat...3rd bass was the first white rappers whose music felt “genuine” and not gimmicky

Ill Paragraph

Lord of the Perfect Black
BGOL Investor
Peace,

‘paul revere’ was the only song of theirs I gave a fuck about and that was solely bcuz of the beat...a real MC would have destroyed that fucking beat...3rd bass was the first white rappers whose music felt “genuine” and not gimmicky

Completely agree. License To Ill was a novelty album to me.

Reactions: LSN

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would say I have more of a appreciation for this album now than when it first came out. It was such a departure from "License to Ill" that I couldn't get into it back then. I wouldn't say "Paul's Boutique" is a classic but it's a good album.

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Congratulations KES1111 - it only took THREE YEARS!​

:clap::clap::groupwave::clap::clap:

giphy.gif

HIPAA-BIZ

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm a Beastie Boys fan. I respect their musical fluidity and activism.
Despite all this, Paul's Boutique is not a great album TO ME.

I came to appreciate it more in later years, but they have subsequent albums that are much better than PB.

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
you gotta remember that this was at the time when people were just "having fun" with hip hop....not everyone was on the lyrical shit, that came shortly after. I think those white boys put music out with no expectation of gaining any success from it and the shit took off. now that I think about it, I rather listen to some Beastie Boys and music of that era than any of this mumble rap garbage we have now.....I think most people over 40 would feel the same... :dunno:

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I've spent the last five minutes trying to figure out something deep and profound to say about the Beastie Boys, but I'm starting to think that misses the point.

At the end of the day they made great music to get shitfaced to. When you're DJing for a crowd of 30 something white folks that are so hammered they can barely walk nothing gets the party hype like "brass monkey" "whatcha want" or "intergalactic". Any person of color in the crowd usually gets drafted into the mob by the sheer enthusiasm of it.

theart0f69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
License to Ill is a classic IMO and def in my top 10. They handled their bidness on there...after that they totally lost me.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Never liked them or their "music." The most annoyingly grating voices in Rap.

And what people didn't (and seemingly still don't) realize is that they were an in-joke about how talentless white boys could make it to the top of Rap because Rap was just amateur babbling by a bunch of ghetto n*****. Much like The Village People were an in-joke about Gay Disco culture. Only the beasties (even their name) were jew racists from jump.