Pass/Fail: NBA spoke with Raptors about Drake during ECF (his reactions throughout CHAMPIONSHIP!)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
NBA spoke with Raptors about Drake during ECF

giphy.gif

The NBA spoke to the Toronto Raptors during the Eastern Conference finals about Drake's activity and presence on the sideline, a league spokesman told ESPN.

Last year, the NBA warned the rapper, who also is a global ambassador for the Raptors, after a confrontation with then-Cleveland Cavaliers center Kendrick Perkins during a playoff series between the Raptors and the Cavs.

Drake drew attention this year for leaving his courtside seat in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference finals against the Milwaukee Bucks to give Toronto coach Nick Nurse a shoulder massage.

The next day, Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer said there was no place for fans to be on the court.

"I don't know how much he's on the court. It sounds like you guys are saying it's more than I realize," Budenholzer said. "There's certainly no place for fans and, you know, whatever it is exactly that Drake is for the Toronto Raptors. You know, to be on the court, there's boundaries and lines for a reason, and like I said, the league is usually pretty good at being on top of stuff like that."

NBA commissioner Adam Silver issued a memo earlier this year reminding the league's franchises to state and enforce their fan-conduct policies.

The Golden State Warriors have downplayed Drake's presence ahead of their NBA Finals series against Toronto.

"I kind of think it's fun and the NBA kind of embraces the pop culture dynamic of the league and the stars and the celebrities who are out there," Warriors coach Steve Kerr said Monday. "And we got E-40 ready for them too, so we're in good shape."

Warriors guard Stephen Curry offered his take on Drake.

"It's been entertaining," he said Monday. "I know it's a tricky situation with him being right there on the court, but at the end of the day, he's having fun, having -- you can't hate on nobody having fun. Well, I guess in this life everybody hates on people having fun. So it's par for the course on that one."

On Wednesday, Raptors wing Norman Powell also embraced his team's ambassador.

"I like having Drake on the sideline," he said. "He's a great supporter, and it's funny how his passion for the team's really affecting the opponents, having opposing coaches come out ... you can see it's bothering them."

source.gif

Last edited:

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That’s bullshit, let that man have his fun! He brought a little excitement and something else to talk about, that’s some real “NFL” type shit!

OutlawR.O.C.

R.I.P. shanebp1978
BGOL Investor
As they should.

He's going to keep being all extra and one day one of those players is going to have enough and slap the dog shit out of him and people will act like the player was out of line.

Fans need to sit their ass down, enjoy the game and cheer from a distance no matter how famous or rich they are unless they are ready to accept that Artest treatment.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Silver after Drake confab: 'We're in a good place'
play

Ad (0:09)

10:37 PM ET
  • i

Tim BontempsESPN

TORONTO -- Ahead of Game 1 of the NBA Finals on Thursday night, NBA commissioner Adam Silver explained why the league had a discussion with rapper -- and Toronto Raptors superfan -- Drake about his conduct on the sideline during the Eastern Conference finals.

Drake's antics gained attention when, during Game 4 of that series here at Scotiabank Arena against the Milwaukee Bucks, he grabbed Raptors coach Nick Nurse by the shoulders during the game. Drake's approach was more reserved Thursday, when he arrived for Game 1 against the Golden State Warriorswearing Dell Curry's No. 30 Raptors jersey. Curry, the father of Warriors superstar guard Stephen Curry, finished his career playing for Toronto for three seasons from 1999 to 2002.

Silver thanked Jazz for handling fan situation
Silver explained his reasoning for meeting with Drake during his annual news conference prior to the start of the league's championship series.

"I think in the case of Drake, as I've said before, I mean we certainly appreciate his superfan status, and I know he's beloved in the community of Toronto," Silver said. "I think certainly we don't want fans, friend or foe, contacting an NBA coach during a game. I think that even as Nick Nurse later said, I didn't even realize it was Drake or hardly was aware that I was being touched, and I think those can lead to dangerous situations. You're in the middle of coaching a game and you're completely focused, you obviously don't want somebody who is not on your team touching you.

"We understood that in this case, given Drake's relationship to the team, it's not the same as just any fan who happened to be courtside touching a coach. But I think that's an absolute bright line that we have to draw. So that's one example and I would also say that I think the issue for the league is that he has this ambassador-type role with the team. So he is viewed a little differently than any fan sitting there. But at the same time I think there are appropriate lines that shouldn't be crossed in terms of how a competing team is addressed or the officials for that matter.

"As I said, you know, the league office had conversations directly with Drake and his manager and I think we ended up in a good place."

The rapper -- who also serves as Toronto's "global ambassador" -- was in his customary courtside seat well before Thursday's game, wearing the jersey Stephen Curry watched his father wear during his time with the Raptors.

Stephen Curry was in middle school during time, and he lived in Toronto for about 18 months while his father played in the city. During a stoppage in play Thursday with 3 minutes, 5 seconds left in the first quarter, Drake and Curry had a friendly chat before Curry went back to Golden State's bench

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
A Timeline of Drake Being Ridiculous During the NBA Playoffs
By Jordan Crucchiola@jorcru
31-drake-raptors.w700.h700.jpg

Drake. Photo: Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

If you’re a person who thinks Drake is the worst, these NBA playoffs have been a small slice of hell for you. If you think Drake is great, then you’re probably loving this. And if you have no idea what’s going on, then welcome to the courtside circus that is Toronto’s Scotiabank Arena, brought to you by October’s very own attention-getting ringmaster. Drake has been a defining presence at this year’s playoffs, really making the most of his role as an officially recognized “global ambassador” for his hometown team, the Toronto Raptors. Despite being a known jersey-chaser whose rooting interest can most broadly be defined as “for the winning team,” he is especially hyped for his Raptors in their first-ever finals appearance. (Never you mind that he has tattoos repping two opposing Warriors players on his body.)

Drake has the privileged position of sitting aggressively courtside at Scotiabank whenever he wants, and makes a big show of his team spirit whenever he gets the chance. This playoffs, he has been positively jacked up for the Raptors, so we’ve assembled a timeline of Drizzy’s antics for you. This man, clearly, has got a lot of energy. If the Warriors do manage to win it all despite losing game one, we look forward to Drake playing a victory show for them. And now, for a chronicle of Playoffs Drake.

May 19

The rapper with many alleged enemies really started showing up in the Eastern Conference Finals, where his team played the Milwaukee Bucks. At any given home game he could be found doing things like taunting opposing players:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
Didn't drake have tattoos of Curry and Durant? This must be awkward.

Yeah I saw a comment on YouTube saying that’s why he has that Nike armband on, to cover up the tats..lmaooooo

Shits stupid by the NBA, Drake is just talking. He has t done anything that warranted a comment from big ears Adam Silver

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As they should.

He's going to keep being all extra and one day one of those players is going to have enough and slap the dog shit out of him and people will act like the player was out of line.

Fans need to sit their ass down, enjoy the game and cheer from a distance no matter how famous or rich they are unless they are ready to accept that Artest treatment.

This, if Drake was just Jerome that won some courtside tickets in a giveaway no one would be caping for him talkin about "he's just having a good time..." Naa man, he's trying to make the game about himself. Just like he often does with sports. Dude is a known jock sniffer. Well beyond just being a fan. I personally don't believe buying a ticket give you the right to do shit, but watch the game. Cheer if you must, but leave that taunting and personal shit in your head.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This, if Drake was just Jerome that won some courtside tickets in a giveaway no one would be caping for him talkin about "he's just having a good time..." Naa man, he's trying to make the game about himself. Just like he often does with sports. Dude is a known jock sniffer. Well beyond just being a fan. I personally don't believe buying a ticket give you the right to do shit, but watch the game. Cheer if you must, but leave that taunting and personal shit in your head.
Fucking cornball ass clown got tattoos of other niggas on his body. Fuck is that about. The shit is simple. Can other fans do all the shit that this cornball nigga is doing? Fuck no! Then his ass shouldn't be able to do this fuckboy shit. Nigga is a NbaFanboyManThot

But he is affiliated with the team

He is the official ambassador.

He is almost the damn mascot

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fucking cornball ass clown got tattoos of other niggas on his body. Fuck is that about. The shit is simple. Can other fans do all the shit that this cornball nigga is doing? Fuck no! Then his ass shouldn't be able to do this fuckboy shit. Nigga is a NbaFanboyManThot

c6c4c263a23827b4087c919a01c68dd9

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Dude is extra af and his antics are going to encourage some other person who ain't Drake to do some stupid shit and we'll have an Auburn Hills again.

All these ignorant people talking about let him have fun will sing a different tune if it affected them. Fun is one thing, but as soon as you annoy other people then you're just a douchebag. Whatever happened to respecting other people?

hocjo2626

Horace C. Jones II
Registered
Dude is extra af and his antics are going to encourage some other person who ain't Drake to do some stupid shit and we'll have an Auburn Hills again.

All these ignorant people talking about let him have fun will sing a different tune if it affected them. Fun is one thing, but as soon as you annoy other people then you're just a douchebag. Whatever happened to respecting other people?

See I told my wife that same shit last night. Someone will say, "Shit, I pay for my ticket too. If Drake can do it so can I." Let some more "superfans" start doing this shit along with this cornball ass Rap Actor and see what happens. They let him do it so why can't others?

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But he is affiliated with the team

He is the official ambassador.

He is almost the damn mascot

You want Bennie the Bull, or Hugo the hornet "all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin???" Naa man, time and place. Drake trying to be part of the actual team too damn bad. Part of the organization, and part of the team are two different things.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
His antics don't seem genuine. He acts as if he just wants to be caught on camera and is not really into sports. He only goes to events to be seen.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m not sure what he’s doing wrong other than cheering for his team? :confused:

Rubbing the coaches back was a bit much but if they know each other :dunno:

Talking trash to players isn’t anything new, the cameras just like to focus on him.

hocjo2626

Horace C. Jones II
Registered

Ok, so it looks like you are attempting to make a point. I'll make it easy for you. It's hoe shit no matter who does it. I don't give a fuck if my President Barack Obama does it. It's still hoe shit. There.