Papa John’s USED Shaq to SAVE the company... and NOW they want to FIRE him for this petty BULLSHIT reason

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Most Boards of international corporations meet once or twice a year or maybe quarterly - but who the fuck meet SIXTEEN TIMES? :curse:
Proxy firm wants Shaq off Papa John’s board for missing too many meetings

This story was updated with new developments on March 31 at 2:40pm EST.

When Papa John’s signed Shaquille O’Neal to a major partnership one year ago that included nine franchises and a board seat, it was seen as a major turning point for the brand. The company had spent $50 million in 2018 to scrub founder John Schnatter’s face from pizza boxes and delivery vans, and O’Neal, a high-demand product endorser, will clearly be the marketing face of the brand moving forward.

But now a proxy firm thinks O’Neal should be off the board for missing too many board meetings.

Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS), a corporate governance advisory firm, issued a report last week encouraging Papa John’s (PZZA) shareholders to vote against O’Neal’s reelection to the board at the April 23 shareholders meeting because he attended fewer than 75% of meetings in his first term as a board member.

Papa John’s disclosed in its SEC filing in advance of the April 23 meeting that every board member attended at least 75% of the 16 board meetings in 2019, “except for Shaquille O’Neal, who was unable to attend several board meetings due to prior business and broadcasting commitments made prior to Mr. O’Neal’s appointment to the Board, which could not be rescheduled.” If O’Neal did not make it to 75% of 16 meetings, it means he missed at least five meetings.

A representative for O’Neal did not respond to Yahoo Finance’s request for comment; ISS does not comment to media beyond what’s in their reports.
Papa John’s added in its SEC filing that the company and O’Neal “do not expect these scheduling conflicts to recur in 2020.”

And on March 31, ISS reversed course, updating its report to say it supports O’Neal’s reelection.

The reasoning: ISS had not considered that O’Neal joined the board in March 2019, two months into the year. “Upon further review, O'Neal was appointed to the board in March 2019, during the fiscal year under review,” ISS writes. “Given that O'Neal's poor attendance occurred during the year he was appointed to the board, support for O'Neal's re-election is now considered warranted.”

O’Neal’s “prior business commitments” could have related to his many other sponsorships and endorsements with companies including Ring, Steady, Forto Coffee Shots, Carnival Cruises, Icy Hot, Krispy Kreme, and National General Insurance. The “broadcasting commitment” refers to his NBA gig with TNT.

In August, O’Neal told Yahoo Finance that he has been a fan of Papa John’s since college, and that when he did his homework on the corporate side of the brand, “I realized that there was a problem there: they didn’t have any diversity on the board.” He met with then-CEO Steve Ritchie and activist investor Jeff Smith of Starboard Capital and told them, “I would like to be involved, if I can be on the board and if I can purchase a couple franchises.”

e5159ea0-729e-11ea-bd67-c4dfd6b5b1a2

Papa John's board member Shaquille O'Neal launches the new Papadia at Shaq's Fun House on Friday, Jan. 31, 2020 in Miami. (Manuel Mazzanti/AP Images for Papa John's Pizza)

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
BGOL Investor
Saved??? I still dont fuck with them. That being said, we all knew what it was. I assume Shaq did also and was well compensated. Cant muster any outrage on this one.
"USED"?! Dude was paid. And board mtgs are important. I bet Shaq wants off of PJ.
The DJIA stock average is down by over 30% in 2020. Many food stocks are down anywhere from 50% to 90%. Papa John's stock was literally falling off a cliff before Shaq went into partnership with them, doing numerous personal appearance and television interviews (that no other board member had to take time to do).

Now their stock is holding up better than 95% of the pizza competition stocks - no sane person who knows ANYTHING about how corporations operate would argue against the fact that Shaq single handedly SAVED that company from going bankrupt last year. I'm not debating whether or not Shaq is a kiss ass sell out. I'm only saying that they have no more USE for him now that the heat is off...
:cmonson:

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The DJIA stock average is down by over 30% in 2020. Many food stocks are down anywhere from 50% to 90%. Papa John's stock was literally falling off a cliff before Shaq went into partnership with them, doing numerous personal appearance and television interviews (that no other board member had to take time to do).

Now their stock is holding up better than 95% of the pizza competition stocks - no sane person who knows ANYTHING about how corporations operate would argue against the fact that Shaq single handedly SAVED that company from going bankrupt last year. I'm not debating whether or not Shaq is a kiss ass sell out. I'm only saying that they have no more USE for him now that the heat is off...

Ok bruh. He was still paid for his services. How am I supposed to be outraged??? :dunno:

swoop1

Circle the wagons.
BGOL Investor
I think they want him off because the strategy didn’t work. Just as an analogy, do you think TNT would fire Charles Barkley for missing too many meetings?

Curtwalk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Like he was contributing or something. We supposed to believe that Shaq was introducing marketing strategies and new recipes.
Even if he was them racist mofos wasn't gonna listen. They probably had him at the meetings so he could take pictures with they kids and other mofo's they wanted to impress.

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
"USED"?! Dude was paid. And board mtgs are important. I bet Shaq wants off of PJ.

16 in one year, bruh?

Board meetings are quarterly at most for billion corporations. Executives and mid-level managers meet more regularly, but not the board. You can't really report anything major needing their input in that timeframe.

He was propped up to fail. They needed his celebrity and fame to improve their revenue numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if this was planned all along. Get him in. Improve. Get him out.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This... Shit was a figure head position.

^^^^

he got USED and well compensated

and he was in position to make it where they COULD NOT do this to him

he had all the leverage at the time

I ain't crying over this

cause he KNEW they were snakes from day one.

But yeah this is bullsh*t

sidebar...

AND these cacs had NO hesitation to DO this during a damn pandemic.

Chuck and Sheriff Shaq love dem white folks though huh?

Last edited:

chitownsfinest

Rising Star
Platinum Member
16 in one year, bruh?

Board meetings are quarterly at most for billion corporations. Executives and mid-level managers meet more regularly, but not the board. You can't really report anything major needing their input in that timeframe.

He was propped up to fail. They needed his celebrity and fame to improve their revenue numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if this was planned all along. Get him in. Improve. Get him out.
PJ's paid Shaq $4MM...and he's a "victim"?? Hilarious...

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

... Lets be realistic 95% of their competition sucks as well as them. These franchise pizza places are GARBAGE!!! Papa Johns is GREAT if you live in rural Oklahoma. These places should not exist in any major state

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Saved??? I still dont fuck with them. That being said, we all knew what it was. I assume Shaq did also and was well compensated. Cant muster any outrage on this one.
This, fuck papa johns. I fucks with dawg but I don't agree with his every move.

g0nbad real bad

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No disrespect to you personally was intended.

This particular thread ain't about all these other corporations. It's about ONE of these corporations.

So right here, right now- it's fuck Papa John and his pizza chain. I stand by it.

i agree big hommie i'm one bean pie away from being militant. I hate that he wouldn't give his employees insurance that would have only cost them .25 a pizza. But from time to time I succumb to those damn cinnamon rolls.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered
That shit was a PR stunt anyway.

The only niggas that bought into that shit were niggas who actually like that shitty ass pizza who wanted to feel less guilty for supporting a company ran by a known, outspoken racist.

It was transparent from the jump that Shaq got paid to be a black face in a suit.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor

Like they always use black people. We always pulling these companies out of a rut. Cadillac brand same shit, Obama 08 economic crisis, Fox network, CW nework etc etc etc

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Anybody stupid enough to fall for that marketing campaign is stupid enough to believe any other spin they put out.
He did his tap dance, got paid, and now he's off to the next sellout. Who cares? He's not giving me any of that money.
Thank god I live in NYC where we have real pizza on every corner. Never had that crap, never even seen a store.