Official 2024 NFL Off-Season Discussion!!!

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

THESE MUTHAFUCKAS YO!!!!

:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

AFGXLz.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Washington Commanders fire DL coach Sam Mills after 'difference of philosophy'

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Commanders fired defensive line coach Sam Mills on Tuesday, with coach Ron Rivera citing a "difference of philosophy."
Jeff Zgonina, who played one season with Mills' father in the NFL, will replace him. Zgonina had served as Mills' assistant the past two seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Rivera didn't elaborate on what he meant by a philosophical difference, but said it was "just some observations. I just felt it was a change I needed to make."
Mills had been with Rivera since he was hired as Carolina's head coach in 2011. Mills was an assistant defensive line coach until December 2018, when Rivera elevated him to the main role after firing Brady Hoke. Mills then came to Washington after Rivera was hired in January 2020.
Mills' father, who died in 2005, was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame this past weekend.
Rivera said his history with the Mills family made the decision "very difficult."
"I've known Sam a long time and he's a very good football coach," Rivera said. "I appreciate everything he's done. He helped us win a division title our first year and things got tough last year, but there were some things I felt I wanted to change."
Washington's defensive line underachieved last season amid questions about the group's chemistry and willingness to play within the system. That led to friction in a unit that had been accustomed to a different play style.
At times, Rivera questioned the football maturity level of some members of the group and fretted that it led to bouts of selfish play.
This past offseason, Washington released defensive tackle Matt Ioannidis and allowed Tim Settle to sign with Buffalo in free agency. The Commanders drafted Phidarian Mathis in the second round.
"It's sad," Washington defensive tackle Jon Allen said. "Me and Coach Sam were getting along well, we were really making some progress as a defensive unit. It's the NFL; people have to remember it's a great game but a terrible business."
Allen called the timing "surprising."
"One thing I've learned in the NFL is that nothing is unusual," he said. "You have to expect the unexpected and as soon as you get comfortable, the NFL will surprise you.
"But it's not my job to worry about that. My job is to play football. We have the utmost faith in Coach Rivera."

Rivera told the players the news in a meeting before practice. Brent Vieselmeyer, who is in his third year with the staff, will help with the defensive ends. Former Washington end Ryan Kerrigan, who has been shadowing the defensive line coaches and helping when needed, will be here throughout camp.
Hall of Fame defensive end Warren Sapp also was helping in practice Tuesday. He had worked with the defensive line for several days in the spring as well. Neither Sapp nor Kerrigan will assume a greater role, Rivera said.
Zgonina was San Francisco's defensive line coach in 2017 and 2018. After being drafted in the seventh round by Pittsburgh in 1993, Zgonina played 17 seasons with seven teams, winning a Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams.
"It's always hard," Zgonina said. "He is a friend and always will be a friend," he said of Mills. "I've known him almost his whole life -- I played with his dad. But I have a job to do and he had a job to do and we just have to keep moving forward."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Baker Mayfield impressing Carolina Panthers OC Ben McAdoo, once one of QB's biggest critics

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo wasn't as critical of quarterback Baker Mayfield on Tuesday as he was in 2018, when he expressed concerns over the Heisman Trophy winner's height, hand size and style of play heading into the NFL draft.
Mayfield seems to have won over one of his most well-known critics.

"Baker since he's been here in the last two weeks, it's been pretty impressive," said McAdoo, speaking for the first time on the former Cleveland Browns starter since the Panthers acquired him in a trade last month.
McAdoo didn't show his hand on who will win the "open" competition between Mayfield and Sam Darnold, but for the second time in two days, a Panthers official used the word "impressive" to describe Mayfield.
"What he's done in 10 days [of camp] is pretty impressive," coach Matt Rhule said on Monday. "He's making real big jumps."
In a 2018 article in The New York Times, McAdoo rated Josh Allen the top quarterback before the draft, followed by Lamar Jackson, Darnold, Josh Rosen, Mason Rudolph and Mayfield.
Mayfield went No. 1 to the Browns and Darnold No. 3 to the New York Jets.
McAdoo's assessment of Mayfield coming out of Oklahoma was mixed. He was worried in particular about Mayfield's height (6-foot-1) and small hands -- 8.5 inches, the same initially as 2022 first-round pick Kenny Pickett, whose hand size was scrutinized heavily heading into the draft.
"He's got an edge to him; I like that," McAdoo said of Mayfield in 2018. "He's gonna lead, they're gonna follow him. I didn't see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you're short, you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn't do that.
"I didn't think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that's what I worry about."
McAdoo expressed none of those concerns on Tuesday. That Mayfield had three passes knocked down at the line in Monday's practice, he said, had nothing to do with height.
He couldn't say enough about Mayfield's leadership.
"One of his strengths is command," McAdoo said. "He can lead a room, he can command a room, he can command an offense. He has a good presence about him. And, you know, he's got a fire in his guts."
McAdoo also likes that Mayfield has adjusted to his system with little difficulty.
"The thing for Baker, he's been in a lot of offensive systems going back to college and then coming through the pros," McAdoo said. "He's bright and he really works at it. That helps him. He's here very early in the morning, and I'm sure he's burning the midnight oil to get caught up."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Roquan Smith requests trade from Chicago Bears

CHICAGO -- Bears linebacker Roquan Smith said in a written statement that he has requested a trade after contract negotiations between himself and the organization reached an impasse.

Smith wrote a statement that was posted to social media by NFL Network on Tuesday. ESPN has confirmed the validity of these messages.

The linebacker wrote that the "new front office regime doesn't value me here," after Smith said he had been trying to work on an extension since April.

"They've refused to negotiate in good faith," Smith wrote. "Every step of this journey has been 'take it or leave it.' The deal sent to me is one that would be bad for myself, and for the entire LB market if I signed it."
Most tackles, last four seasons

Since Roquan Smith's rookie season in 2018, Bobby Wagner and Shaquille Leonard are the only NFL players with more tackles. Smith has been named a Second-Team All-Pro in each of the last two seasons.

PLAYERTACKLES
Bobby Wagner605
Shaquille Leonard538
Roquan Smith523<<
>>Career-high 163 tackles last season
-- ESPN Stats & Information

Since the Bears drafted him eighth overall in 2018, the former Georgia standout has 14 sacks while recording at least 101 tackles and an interception in each season he's played. Smith is set to earn $9.7 million in the final year of his rookie deal and was placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list when he reported to camp in late July.

Smith, 25, accused the Bears' front office of "trying to take advantage of me," and that the organization "left me no choice than to request a trade that allows me to play for an organization that truly values what I bring to the table."

In April, Smith expressed confidence that he would remain in Chicago long term with a new deal and was a full participant during voluntary workouts and mandatory minicamp. In his statement, the linebacker said that he wanted to be with the Bears for his entire career.

At the start of training camp, first-year general manager Ryan Poles, who expressed a desire to reach an agreement on an extension for Smith before the regular season, addressed the team not yet executing a new deal for Smith.
"My feelings for Roquan don't change at all," Poles said July 26. "I love the player and the person. And that won't change."
Smith has been present at Halas Hall daily during training camp, often seen riding a stationary bike during practice. Coach Matt Eberflus noted his expectations in July for Smith while he remained on the PUP list.

"Stay involved, be a leader, be engaged, which he's doing and will do," Eberflus said. "He's a pro. He's been in the league long enough. He's a really good player. We're excited to have him as a Chicago Bear. And he'll do that."

In his statement, Smith apologized to Bears fans while expressing little faith that negotiations would turn around.

"I haven't had the chance to talk to the McCaskey family, and maybe they can salvage this, but as of right now I don't see a path back to the organization I truly love," Smith said.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Baker Mayfield impressing Carolina Panthers OC Ben McAdoo, once one of QB's biggest critics

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo wasn't as critical of quarterback Baker Mayfield on Tuesday as he was in 2018, when he expressed concerns over the Heisman Trophy winner's height, hand size and style of play heading into the NFL draft.
Mayfield seems to have won over one of his most well-known critics.

"Baker since he's been here in the last two weeks, it's been pretty impressive," said McAdoo, speaking for the first time on the former Cleveland Browns starter since the Panthers acquired him in a trade last month.
McAdoo didn't show his hand on who will win the "open" competition between Mayfield and Sam Darnold, but for the second time in two days, a Panthers official used the word "impressive" to describe Mayfield.
"What he's done in 10 days [of camp] is pretty impressive," coach Matt Rhule said on Monday. "He's making real big jumps."
In a 2018 article in The New York Times, McAdoo rated Josh Allen the top quarterback before the draft, followed by Lamar Jackson, Darnold, Josh Rosen, Mason Rudolph and Mayfield.
Mayfield went No. 1 to the Browns and Darnold No. 3 to the New York Jets.
McAdoo's assessment of Mayfield coming out of Oklahoma was mixed. He was worried in particular about Mayfield's height (6-foot-1) and small hands -- 8.5 inches, the same initially as 2022 first-round pick Kenny Pickett, whose hand size was scrutinized heavily heading into the draft.
"He's got an edge to him; I like that," McAdoo said of Mayfield in 2018. "He's gonna lead, they're gonna follow him. I didn't see a lot of pro-style football in his college tape. And if you're short, you have to be able to make up for it some way, somehow, and personality doesn't do that.
"I didn't think he was a great athlete. This guy is kinda like a pocket quarterback that is short and with small hands, that's what I worry about."
McAdoo expressed none of those concerns on Tuesday. That Mayfield had three passes knocked down at the line in Monday's practice, he said, had nothing to do with height.
He couldn't say enough about Mayfield's leadership.
"One of his strengths is command," McAdoo said. "He can lead a room, he can command a room, he can command an offense. He has a good presence about him. And, you know, he's got a fire in his guts."
McAdoo also likes that Mayfield has adjusted to his system with little difficulty.
"The thing for Baker, he's been in a lot of offensive systems going back to college and then coming through the pros," McAdoo said. "He's bright and he really works at it. That helps him. He's here very early in the morning, and I'm sure he's burning the midnight oil to get caught up."
It's Ben mcadoo ain't this the same idiot that called a qb sneak on 3rd and long?!?