Official 2024 NFL Off-Season Discussion!!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
So Urban Meyer going to Jacksonville

Eric B. Gonna get shut out AGAIN?

wow that Rooney Rule really works huh?

Jaguars are finalizing deal with coach Urban Meyer, according to NFL Network and ESPN

The Jaguars are in "advanced talks" with the former Ohio State head coach, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter and other NFL insiders. Jacksonville went 1-15 this season, and are slated to pick first in the 2021 NFL Draft. Meyer, on the other hand, has won three national championships and holds one of the best winning percentages in NCAA Division I history.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bienimy may have to just wait til Reid retires and leaves him the job. With them always in the playoffs it makes it harder for teams to have that discussion. Well that may be the reasoning teams are using.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
EruviZzW8AQEEV5

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Making sense of Eric Bieniemy’s lack of head coaching momentum

by Jordan Mannix1 hour ago Follow @ChiefinSTL

NEXT1 of 2PREV POST
Use your ← → (arrows) to browse
Another year, and another coaching interview circuit. Why does Chiefs Eric Bieniemy continue to be passed up?

This seems to be a relatively tense subject in Chiefs Kingdom, and somewhat so in the national sphere as well. Let me start by saying this is simply my opinion, as I have no insider knowledge regarding the handful of teams looking for head coaches.

Eric Bieniemy, the Chiefs offensive coordinator and de facto head of one of the best offenses in the league over the last several seasons, is now trending in the wrong direction for the second season in a row with regards to head coaching opportunities.
According to Sportsbetting.com’s odds, he is not the favorite for any of the vacant head coaching positions except for the Detroit Lions. He’s not even the second favorite for most, the only two with him in that position being the Atlanta Falcons and Houston Texans. Unfortunately, the Lions appear to be one of the least appealing openings.
This seems crazy based off the sentiment at the beginning of this season. So, what is really going on here?
In today’s day and age it’s easy to assume malevolent forces are at work. We can look around and, depending on your viewpoint, find a number of high profile characters on which to project malevolent intentions. It’s a habit at this point, unfortunately, regardless of the situation.

Is there an objective reason why this all might be happening though? I think there is and I think it’s pretty simple. Let’s look at Andy Reid‘s coaching tree as this seems to be the primary argument. Andy’s tree seems to have been successful right?
Some have and some have not. In the case of Sean McDermott, Ron Rivera, and John Harbaugh, all have been extremely successful. In terms of more recent examples, like Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy, the jury is still out or they have been fired.
Let’s take a look at the first group. Andy Reid is an excellent leader, and often takes substantial part in his team’s offense. He designs the overall scheme and calls the plays on game day. While he might be involved in the defense, his classic stance is a hands-off approach. It’s conceivably in part why he fired Bob Sutton. Near the end, reportedly, he was having to expend energy helping Bob Sutton with his defense.
The three successful coaches in question were all either defensive coaches or special teams coaches under Reid. McDermott spent time as the defensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles from 2009-2010 before spending another six seasons in that role for the Carolina Panthers.

Ron Rivera was a defensive position coach for Reid before multiple stints as a defensive coordinator with the Chicago Bears and the San Diego Chargers (at the time). John Harbaugh spent 10 seasons with the Eagles, nine of those as the special teams coordinator.
My point is, all of these candidates had direct control overall over a unit and reaped the perceived benefits of that unit’s success.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
If Kansas City's Eric Bieniemy is passed over again, the NFL has a problem
A report Wednesday suggested the coordinator of Kansas City's dominant offense won't get a head job again this offseason.
By Michael Rand JANUARY 14, 2021 — 8:14AM

TRIBUNE NEWS SERVICE
Since Eric Bieniemy took over as offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2018, they have the No. 1 scoring offense and No. 1 total offense in the NFL. His lack of head coaching interviews is a problem for the league.
TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
It's hard to say exactly what is more insulting or ludicrous: A tweeted report suggesting there's a "very strong chance" Kansas City offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy won't get a head coaching job again this offseason OR the reasons offered for that suggestion.

The tweet in question from The Draft Scout's Matt Miller:

First, the fact that Bieniemy — the former Vikings running backs coach under Brad Childress who is now in charge of the NFL's best offense and most dangerous QB, Patrick Mahomes —stands to get passed over for an opportunity again is absurd on merit.

Among the most obvious hires a team in need of a coach can make is to nab a high-level assistant from another team. There's none better than Bieniemy, whose offense fueled last year's Super Bowl run and has Kansas City in position to go back-to-back this year. Head coach Andy Reid calls the plays? Sure. But he's also praised Bieniemy for his acumen and leadership.

Beyond that, though, the two specific reasons outlined for passing him over are even more ridiculous (and note: this is not to blame Miller, who is merely the messenger).

Concerns about the Andy Reid coaching tree? Those branches are full of Super Bowl-winning coaches like John Harbaugh and Doug Pederson, plus coaches who have turned teams around like Sean McDermott and Matt Nagy. Compared to, say, the Bill Belichick coaching tree it's even more successful.

And yet Belichick assistants keep getting hired — some of them right after the Super Bowl, which brings us to the second assertion: that teams don't want to wait Bieniemy because Kansas City might still be playing for a few more weeks.

Again, nonsense. Go back two cycles ago and you'll find assistants for the Patriots (Brian Flores) and Rams (Zac Taylor) who were named head coaches. The year before that, OC Frank Reich was hired by the Colts after leading the Eagles to a Super Bowl title. The year before that, OC Kyle Shanahan was hired by the 49ers after he helped the Falcons reach the Super Bowl.

Teams wait for the best candidates all the time. Because, you know, hiring a coach that helped a team reach the Super Bowl is a good mark on a resume.

There's no guarantee that Bieniemy will succeed as a head coach, but there is ample evidence that he deserves a chance.

Maybe the Texans will end up doing the right thing. They've added Bieniemy to their list of head coach interview candidates, quite possibly as a means of repairing their relationship with QB Deshaun Watson.

But if Bieniemy, who is Black, is passed by again this offseason the NFL will be left to confront an ugly truth: race still plays a role in how a lot of teams view candidates and keeps minorities from getting jobs they deserve.

200.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Everson Griffen slams Kirk Cousins, suggests Mike Zimmer didn't want the QB
In a series of since-deleted tweets, the former Vikings defensive end opens up an old wound from the 2018 offseason.
By Michael Rand Star Tribune

JANUARY 12, 2021 — 7:49AM

STAR TRIBUNE
Former Minnesota Vikings player, now Detroit Lions defensive end Everson Griffen (98), greeted his former head coach Mike Zimmer at the end of the fourth quarter. ] ANTHONY SOUFFLE • anthony.souffle@startribune.com

TEXT SIZE

EMAIL

PRINT
MORE
Former Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen re-opened questions about the Vikings' 2018 offseason quarterback search over the weekend, tweeting – then deleting and apologizing – a negative opinion about Kirk Cousins and suggesting Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer never wanted Cousins on the Vikings in the first place.
"Ask ZIMMER if he wanted Kirk?????," Griffen said in the second of three tweets, adding in his final tweet: "He will tell you the truth??? Who wanted Kirk Cousins???? Take your guess???"
Though Griffen never answer his own question, the obvious insinuation/guess is that it was Vikings GM Rick Spielman who ultimately got his way when the Vikings pursued and signed Cousins to a three-year, fully guaranteed $84 million deal (one that has subsequently been extended through 2022).
In two later tweets, Griffen said: "I'm sorry for posting that about Kirk. It's not right for me to call people out. I apologize for hurting him. I'm very grateful and thankful. I'm sorry for saying anything negative. I love this organization. Vikings will always have a place in my heart. If you want it, go get it. All love for for real."

It's a little hard, though, to put that genie back in the bottle. (And you'll notice Griffen didn't take back what he said. He only felt bad for saying it.)
You'll recall that Griffen and the Vikings parted ways before the 2020 season after 10 seasons together. He signed with Dallas before being traded to Detroit in late October – with whom he played against the Vikings twice. The first time, he took exception to Zimmer calling him a "good" player in the week leading up to the game, which the Vikings won handily. The second time, Griffen's Lions allowed more than 400 yards passing to Cousins in a 37-35 Vikings victory.
But it was still a pretty jarring suggestion from Griffen, even if we are used to him creating a stir.
SPONSORED BY NERVE SHIELD PLUS
Neuropathy & Nerve Damage? Do This Immediately (Watch)

Suffer From Neuropathy? Try This Immediately
SEE MORE

Then again, it's not really shocking to think that Griffen is correct about the Vikings' pursuit of Cousins if we recall how the 2018 offseason played out. Speaking at the scouting combine in Indianapolis in early March that year, Zimmer delivered this key quote:
"This year obviously the offense was much better, but part of the reason we've been winning games and staying in games is because we've been playing good on defense and we've been a smart team and all those things. I want to be really careful about taking away from our strength and saying, 'OK, we're not going to be able to do this and we're not going to be able to do that anymore because of financial reasons or something else.'"
Two weeks later, the Vikings gave Cousins the big money deal – eschewing lower-cost alternatives like trying to re-sign Case Keenum or Teddy Bridgewater, or even trying to draft a quarterback.
If we re-read Griffen's last two deleted tweets with that context, the conclusion of the full narrative is not necessarily that Zimmer didn't want or doesn't like Cousins specifically as a QB, but more so that he did not (and still does not) like the idea of a high-priced quarterback eating up cap space and other resources that could otherwise be spent maintaining strength on his side of the ball (a side that had led to 39 wins in his first four seasons as head coach). Maybe with a different choice in 2018, Griffen would still be with the Vikings?
The first deleted tweet, in which Griffen basically says he doesn't think Cousins is a good QB with one simple profane phrase, is another story – but we shouldn't necessarily mistake that as Zimmer's opinion of Cousins as well. (Pro Football Focus, by the way, would disagree with Griffen's assessment).
SPONSORED BY BANK OF AMERICA
Get your home essentials

Power tools. Under-sink filters. Massage chairs. Get the things you need and the ones you want. Earn 3% cash back on online shopping with the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card.
SEE MORE

More so, this is a good reminder that however long Zimmer and Spielman remain in high positions of power with the Vikings, when it is all over the 2018 offseason will be recalled as their defining moment. Remember, that's also the offseason when – a little over a month before Cousins signed — John DeFilippo was hired as offensive coordinator. That has come to be viewed as a Spielman hire that Zimmer ultimately agreed to, and an experiment that lasted less than a full season.
Maybe we'll learn somewhere down the road that 2018 was the start of a power tussle between Zimmer and Spielman over the direction of the franchise.
For now, we know what the Vikings are: a team whose strength, at least in 2020, shifted from defense to offense. They are also a team that has used a lot of cap space and draft resources – six of their last nine picks in the top three rounds – on offense. And the result this season was a 7-9 record that can only in part be explained by defensive injuries. Whether the Vikings can become serious contenders again in 2021 will depend on both sides of the ball – and could determine the fates of Zimmer and Spielman.
At this point, it doesn't matter too much if Zimmer wanted Cousins. Barring some sort of unlikely trade, that's his QB now. But we should also remember something else he said back at the combine in 2018 about the quarterback search:
"It's important for myself and Rick and the organization that we pick the right guy that is going to help us to continue to move forward," Zimmer said. "If we don't do that, then I'll probably get fired."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
On detroit sports radio they were talking about Eric b and basicaly said that he is not winning the room in interveiws?!?

that's MAD convenient

how many currently unemployed LOSER WHITE coaches we know who gave GREAT interviews and about to get REHIRED?

that is such a lazy cop out.

cause they NEVER have to PROVE it.

they were calling in sean McVeigh's dry cleaner in for 2nd interviews a few seasons back

f*ck outta here with that bullsh*t

Texans didn't even try to interview until he was UNABLE too.

Even if its TRUE?

Bullsh*t

you SEEN what this man can do for years EVERY DAMN SUNDAY.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Eric Bieniemy sees head coaching interviews “as an honor and a privilege”
Posted by Charean Williams on January 14, 2021, 10:06 PM EST

Getty Images
Eric Bieniemy may or may not get a head coaching job in this cycle, but he has had a chance to interview for one.
The Chiefs offensive coordinator spent the team’s bye week doing virtual interviews with just about every NFL franchise with a vacant head coaching job. The Texans since have requested permission to talk to Bieniemy when the Chiefs’ season ends.
“Let me just say this: It was an honor and a privilege, but that’s not what we’re here for,” Bieniemy said Thursday, via Dave Skretta of the Associated Press. “We’re here to talk about the Browns. We eliminate all distractions. At the end of my day, my focus and my attention is on the Browns. They’re a great team. They’re playing great ball. We’re looking forward to this challenge. I know our guys are fired up and excited. They refreshed and hit the reset button. Now, it’s time to go out there and produce.”
The Jaguars became the first team to fill their vacancy, hiring Urban Meyer on Thursday.
Of the six remaining teams looking for a head coach, only the Eagles haven’t interviewed or requested to interview Bieniemy.
“Listen, I think he’s top-notch,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “At the risk of being redundant, I have not seen many guys that are as great a leader as he is of men, and in this business, that’s huge. You’re never going to have to worry about Eric, never — on the field, off the field. He’s going to be honest with you and straightforward, and then he knows the offense.”

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
these devils will not stop

This some bullshit :angry: :angry: :angry:

They hold and continue to throw all of this in Eric's face:

Lost in all of his success with the Kansas City Chiefs is that Eric Bieniemy generated quite a rap sheet for bad decisions.
  • According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy and teammate Kanvavis McGhee following a February 1998 bar fight. Bieniemy was charged with disorderly conduct and fighting in public, but he pleaded no contest. He and McGhee each received deferred sentences and performed court-mandated community service.
  • According to the Orlando Sentinel, Bienemy pleaded no contest after allegedly shoving a firefighter on July 4, 1990. Colorado suspended Bieniemy for one game in the upcoming season.
  • Colorado police once again arrested Bieniemy, then in the NFL, in September 1993. The Orlando Sentinel reported that Bieniemy allegedly grabbed a female parking attendant by the neck and threatened her.

The University of Colorado Boulder banned Bieniemy from its campus for one year as a result.

“She stated that the male who grabbed her said something about ‘a bunch of Black males all at once being her worst nightmare,” the attendant told police, according to the arrest report.

• According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge in April 2001, three months after he joined the football staff as a running backs coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations.
  • Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.

Bieniemy left Colorado after the 2002 season to take the same position at UCLA.
But BURIED RAPE ALLEGATIONS against Matt Patricia?!?

:curse::angry::confused:

Ironically I saw this posted yesterday before the news about matt patricia broke:

It highlights the higher standards that a black head coach has to live up to

This narrative went to its next level with news that new Lions head coach Matt Patricia was indicted for sexual assault in ’96 but never prosecuted due to the victim’s refusal to testify.

DczUhwGXkAEb98l.jpg

The real thing that stands out to me in this matter is the fact that the Detroit Lions did not seem to do their due diligence in researching this coaches background.

According to their own statement:

Coach Patricia was subject to a standard Pre-employment background check which did not disclose this issue.

Now if this was the case for any and all nfl employee’s on field players and coaches cool…BUT we all know that for incoming rookies from the college draft they are subject to full FBI type investigation and subsequent interviews!!!

New NFL policy requires prospects to authorize background checks

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ires-prospects-to-authorize-background-check/

unknown1-e1455057350732.jpeg

Before the NFL can determine whether draft prospects should be barred from the Scouting Combine or other league-related draft events for certain criminal offenses, the NFL must be able to make that determination. Before the NFL can make that determination, the NFL must be able to investigate the prospect.

Before that can happen, the prospect must provide authorization to the NFL during the Scouting Combine registration process. If the prospect refuses to provide authorization, the prospect’s invitation to participate in the Scouting Combine will be revoked, according to the memo sent on January 25 to all team presidents, General Managers and coaches.

As a practical matter, players will gladly sign whatever paperwork they need to sign in order to participate in the Scouting Combine. Still, the mandatory background check represents yet another thing that is required of players as part of a lengthy pre-employment process that, via the Combine, provides plenty of free entertainment and TV content for the NFL.

The new policy applies to all felony or misdemeanor convictions, and it broadly encompasses any conviction “involving violence,” with specific citation to crimes involving the “use of a weapon, domestic violence, sexual offense and/or sexual assault.”

So for kids coming out of college (mostly black) they require this in-depth and ‘lengthy pre-employment process’ But for a head coach it’s just a standard check.

Colonizer

oSTOfyL.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This some bullshit :angry: :angry: :angry:

They hold and continue to throw all of this in Eric's face:

Lost in all of his success with the Kansas City Chiefs is that Eric Bieniemy generated quite a rap sheet for bad decisions.
  • According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy and teammate Kanvavis McGhee following a February 1998 bar fight. Bieniemy was charged with disorderly conduct and fighting in public, but he pleaded no contest. He and McGhee each received deferred sentences and performed court-mandated community service.
  • According to the Orlando Sentinel, Bienemy pleaded no contest after allegedly shoving a firefighter on July 4, 1990. Colorado suspended Bieniemy for one game in the upcoming season.
  • Colorado police once again arrested Bieniemy, then in the NFL, in September 1993. The Orlando Sentinel reported that Bieniemy allegedly grabbed a female parking attendant by the neck and threatened her.

The University of Colorado Boulder banned Bieniemy from its campus for one year as a result.

“She stated that the male who grabbed her said something about ‘a bunch of Black males all at once being her worst nightmare,” the attendant told police, according to the arrest report.

• According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge in April 2001, three months after he joined the football staff as a running backs coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations.
  • Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.

Bieniemy left Colorado after the 2002 season to take the same position at UCLA.
But BURIED RAPE ALLEGATIONS against Matt Patricia?!?

:curse::angry::confused:

^^^^

ALL THIS!!!!!!

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Ok for those wondering why I keep using the angry stink face on post about Robert Saleh getting the HC job for the jets... It's because I wanted him to be the next lion's HC.

Because if we didn't have sense enough to hire the hometown, can't miss guy, it means we gonna hire a gatdamn tight ends coach who has NEVER CALLED FUCKING PLAYS?!?