Official 2024 NFL Off-Season Discussion!!!

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
135815410_4037518879628103_7577326418598991792_o.jpg

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Dumb question for the fellas.

What are the requirements for entering the NFL? I mean, if you are a for sure number one pick, but don't want to go to the let's say the Jags as the first pick because it's a shitty team, can you opt out of the draft and sign on with whomever as a free agent?

Has anyone done anything like this?

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Dumb question for the fellas.

What are the requirements for entering the NFL? I mean, if you are a for sure number one pick, but don't want to go to the let's say the Jags as the first pick because it's a shitty team, can you opt out of the draft and sign on with whomever as a free agent?

Has anyone done anything like this?
Eli Manning pulled it off, but family name and White privilege factored in. He didn't want a damn thing to do with the Chargers but I think it's damn near impossible for the average player to avoid. :dunno:

Are players allowed to avoid the draft and sign with a team separately? - Quora

Jason McDonald
, Grew up on the Steel Curtain.
Answered 3 years ago · Author has 6.1K answers and 9.5M answer views

Officially, no. The draft is the officially approved method for new players entering the league — the 32 team owners agreed to it, and the NFL players’ union has supported it. Short of someone successfully challenging the entire legality of the draft in court (extremely unlikely), new players have to join the team that drafts them.
I believe their only recourse at that point is to sit out an entire year and then re-enter the draft next year and hope a different team selects them. Bo Jackson is a rare example of someone who was able to do this successfully. In 1986, he refused to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because he believed they deliberately sabotaged his eligibility to play college baseball to force him to play football; he went back into the draft and was drafted by the Los Angeles (at that time) Raiders in 1987.
Unofficially, there have been players who have threatened to not sign with the team that drafted them, forcing the team that drafted them to trade their rights. John Elway in 1983 is one example — he was drafted by the Baltimore Colts but threatened to quit football and play baseball unless they traded him, which they eventually did, to the Denver Broncos. More recently in 2004, Eli Manning was picked #1 overall by the San Diego Chargers, but he basically let it be known that he would refuse to play for them and forced a trade to the New York Giants for Philip Rivers and additional players.

4.6K views
View 1 Upvoter

Gary McAdam

, NY Giants fan since 1984
Answered December 19, 2020 · Author has 9K answers and 5.8M answer views

No - in order to be eligible to play in the NFL, they have to make themselves available to be drafted (it’s enshrined in the CBA between the league & Players Association). Only if they aren’t taken at all can they choose to sign with the team of their choice as a college free agent. That route is however considerably less lucrative than being drafted, as all college free agent deals are for the minimum salary and are shorter than those offered to draftees (three years maximum).
A few players have taken the supplemental draft route into the pros, by not declaring for the regular draft or becomin
Continue Reading

Answered May 21, 2020

Michael Kelly

, Fan since early 90s and a huge football (NFL) fan in general
Updated 1 year ago

There is 1 way. . its called the supplement draft which is held after the NFL draft but before the beginning of the season. It is for players that for 1 (qualifying) reason or another didn't declare for the draft. There have been players who didn't want to go to the team expected to draft so they purposely miss the dead line. But they had a qualifying reason even. Not anyone can just miss the deadline and go in the supplemental draft as your have to meet certain a criteria in order to qualify for it. Otherwise players would be constantly using it to better their situation weather it's the loca
Continue Reading

Douglas Ray Gunderson

, studied at University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
Answered 4 years ago · Author has 337 answers and 143.1K answer views

The only way they can do that is to not sign with the team that drafted them and stay out of football for over a year. Then another team could draft them and they would have to do it again. The best way (see John Elway, Eli manning and others) is to tell the teams before the draft that they will have to trade you. It is frowned upon, but it seems to be the only way to get it done. A very good agent and a player with other options can pull this off, but not many guys can. Players who are not drafted are free to sign with any team, but that means that 32 franchises had to pass on them 7 times ea

Christopher Doll

, Lover of football, poli-sci and sociology
Answered 7 years ago · Author has 240 answers and 201.1K answer views

Robin is correct overall but there is one other way.
They do have the option to go through the supplemental draft which generally receives less press and less teams looking into the players. The issue is it's a bit tough to get into the supplemental draft, you have to " had graduated or exhausted their college eligibility were made available for the supplemental draft. Since 1993, only players who had planned to attend college but for various reasons could not, have been included in the supplemental draft. (National Football League Draft)"
In the end most players who take this route are usua
Continue Reading

Last edited:

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Eli Manning pulled it off, but family name and White privilege factored in. He didn't want a damn thing to do with the Chargers but I think it's damn near impossible for the average player to avoid. :dunno:
He still went through the draft though, since the Giants and Chargers traded their picks.

I'm thinking of someone who said fuck the draft and signed a free agent deal.

Watching last nights game had me thinking, why would you as a star player enter a draft and risk getting chosen by a shitty ass team.

I mean think about it, if you have a good resume, you should be the one choosing who you want to work for.

Shouldn't that work the same for college athletes?

I dunno, this the shit I think of while I'm sitting here in a work meeting bored out of my fucking mind, lolz

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
He still went through the draft though, since the Giants and Chargers traded their picks.

Watching last nights game had me thinking, why would you as a star player enter a draft and risk getting chosen by a shitty ass team.

I mean think about it, if you have a good resume, you should be the one choosing who you want to work for.

I dunno, this the shit I think of while I'm sitting here in a work meeting bored out of my fucking mind, lolz
I edited in a few more answers from Quora. I didn't know John Elway did it too. I don't even remember it.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor

Thing is money was tied in to being picked in the top of the draft.

Undrafted Free agent contracts traditionally are not more than what someone picked in the first 3 rounds would be.

After the 4th round most of the money is in the same range.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Thing is money was tied in to being picked in the top of the draft.

Undrafted Free agent contracts traditionally are not more than what someone picked in the first 3 rounds would be.

After the 4th round most of the money is in the same range.
You're right about that. This is why we don't see THAT much complaining from those picked early...the pay is hard to turn down.
Suck it up and stack some bread, buy mama a house, and blow some cash on yourself as a reward. :money::dunno:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Eagles request interviews with Todd Bowles, Arthur Smith
Posted by Myles Simmons on January 12, 2021, 11:40 AM EST

Getty Images
The Eagles have two more current coordinators on their radar for their head coaching vacancy.
ESPN’s Dan Graziano reports Philadelphia has requested to interview Titans offensive coordinator Arthur Smith. And ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports the club has requested to interview Buccaneers defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.
Philadelphia also requested to interview 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh and team owner Jeffrey Lurie mentioned Eagles assistant head coach/running backs coach Duce Staley is also a likely candidate.
Smith has drawn interest from every team in search of a head coach this offseason. He’s been the Titans’ offensive coordinator since 2019, following Matt LaFleur’s departure to become Green Bay’s head coach.
Detroit and Atlanta have requested interviews with Bowles, who compiled a 24-40 record in four seasons with the Jets.
Philadelphia fired Doug Pederson on Monday.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Bill Belichick declines Presidential Medal of Freedom
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2021, 8:24 PM EST

Getty Images
A man known for making great coaching decisions has made a great one away from the football field.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has decided to decline the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

“Recently, I was offered the opportunity to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, which I was flattered by out of respect for what the honor represents and admiration for past recipients,” Belichick said in a statement issued Monday night. “Subsequently, the tragic events of last week occurred and the decision has been made not to move forward with the award.

“Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s value, freedom and democracy. I know I also represent my family and the New England Patriots football team. One of the most rewarding things in my professional career took place in 2020 when, through the great leadership within our team, conversations about social justice, equality and human rights moved to the forefront and became actions. Continuing those efforts while remaining true to the people, team and country I love outweigh the benefit of any individual award.”

The carefully crafted statement, including among other things deft use of the passive voice regarding Belichick’s decision to punt on the award, makes a very important point without directly saying it. Belichick now believes that the man he openly supported for the office of the presidency in 2016 has behaved in a way that cannot be reconciled with notions of social justice, equality, and human rights. Thus, Belichick cannot reconcile accepting a significant individual honor with his obligations to his family and his football team.

They say the pen is mightier than the sword. Sometimes, that pen cuts deepest when its blade is perceived as being dull.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Texans request interview with Eric Bieniemy
Posted by Josh Alper on January 12, 2021, 2:03 PM EST

Getty Images
The Texans’ failure to request a head coaching interview with Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy right after the end of the regular season reportedly rankled quarterback Deshaun Watson and the team is now trying to go in the other direction.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that they have requested an interview with Bieniemy for their opening.
Bieniemy will not be able to interview with the team until next week at the earliest. Bieniemy was available to interview with the Jets, Jaguars, Chargers, Falcons, and Lions last week because the Chiefs were on a bye, but he won’t be able to speak with the Texans until the Chiefs are done playing.
The Chiefs are the top seeds in the AFC and no one will be surprised if they make it back to the Super Bowl, which would make for a long wait for an interview.
All of that assumes that the request would be met with a positive response from Bieniemy given the team’s reluctance to ask for one before Watson’s displeasure became a matter of public discussion. They were in the process of hiring General Manager Nick Caserio and that likely changed the direction of their coaching search, but they did speak to Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady without having Caserio in place.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Lamar Jackson: There wasn’t any reason for us to shake hands with Titans
Posted by Charean Williams on January 10, 2021, 5:49 PM EST

Getty Images
After his final kneel down, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson didn’t wait for the final 30 seconds to tick off the clock before he sprinted off the field. Jackson waved his teammates to follow him as he headed up the tunnel.
Jackson admitted what everyone knew: The Ravens still were miffed about the pregame dustup from their Week 11 meeting. The Titans gathered on the Ravens’ midfield logo before Tennessee’s 30-24 overtime win, prompting a heated exchange between the head coaches.
“We didn’t see what went on before the game the last time,” Jackson said, via reporter Sarah Ellison. “[Later we saw.] They were standing on our logo and getting into it with our coach. That was disrespectful, because we treat all our opponents with respect. . . . There wasn’t any reason for us to shake hands.”
The Ravens celebrated Marcus Peters‘ interception with 1:50 left on the Titans’ logo at midfield, drawing a 15-yard taunting.
“I was just following my teammates. I had no idea that was happening,” Ravens defensive end Calais Campbell told Tom Pelissero of NFL Network. “I didn’t know it was happening until I got there. But at the end of the day, respect is earned. Respect is earned.”
Titans coach Mike Vrabel exchanged a handshake with Ravens coach John Harbaugh after Sunday’s wild-card game. After their regular-season meeting, it appeared Harbaugh waved off a handshake with Vrabel, even though both coaches downplayed it afterward.
Vrabel did not want to address the Ravens’ celebration Sunday.
“Nope. I coach the Titans, not the Ravens,” Vrabel said.
No matter, this rivalry has become one of the best in the NFL.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Who has turned down Presidential Medal of Freedom? Question brings surprising answers, including Jackie Kennedy
Updated 8:54 AM; Today 8:54 AM
President John Kennedy and First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy in 1961. President Lyndon Johnson reportedly wanted to give the Medal of Freedom to both Kennedys shortly after JFK's assassination.
Facebook Share
Twitter Share
By Douglas Perry | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Washington Post reporter Dave Weigel asked Twitter a straightforward question on Tuesday: “Before Belichick, who was the last person to turn down a Medal of Freedom?”
Bill Belichick, for those who don’t follow football, is the longtime New England Patriots head coach. The six-time Super Bowl champion said in a statement Monday that following “the tragic events of last week … the decision has been made not to move forward with the award. Above all, I am an American citizen with great reverence for our nation’s values, freedom and democracy.”

The coach clearly is referring to the deadly assault on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of President Donald Trump. The rioters had been urged by the president and other Republican leaders to stop the certification of President-elect Joe Biden’s Electoral College victory over Trump.

So who was the last person to turn down a Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Many of Weigel’s social-media followers took up the question, but as it turns out, a definitive answer isn’t all that easy to nail down. Wikipedia, the internet’s heavily trafficked collaborative encyclopedia, insists Belichick is the first person to refuse the medal. Yet the New York Times wrote in 2015 that President Lyndon Johnson wanted to honor President John F. Kennedy posthumously, along with his widow Jacqueline Kennedy, but that Jackie “declined the medal” for herself.

The reason? Jackie apparently didn’t think much of her husband’s successor. She did not attend Johnson’s second inauguration in January 1965 or the White House Rose Garden dedication in her honor. Wrote author Christopher Andersen in the biography “Jackie After Jack”: “For the remainder of the Johnson administration, Jackie received an official invitation to every state dinner and scores of other White House functions. No longer hiding the fact that she considered LBJ a coarse usurper, she did not bother to answer a single one.”

Then there was Major League Baseball catcher Moe Berg.

This time the source is the Washington Post, which, in an article last year pegged to the release of a documentary about Berg, pointed out that the ballplayer was a spy for the U.S. in the 1930s and ’40s. Among his accomplishments during World War II:

“Berg was eventually handed the seemingly impossible task of finding Antonio Ferri, an Italian aerodynamics expert who had gone into hiding and had been privy to the secret workings of German scientists connected to the Nazi nuclear program. Berg found him and -- because the former ballplayer spoke passable Italian -- helped translate a cache of hidden documents.”

HAPFSO6IJ5GKHAIER6AXFEEMGY.JPG

The newspaper adds: “He was awarded a presidential Medal of Freedom in 1945 but refused to accept it. He never explained why ….” The Baseball Hall of Fame states that Berg’s sister “claimed the award” after her brother died in 1972 and donated it to the baseball museum in Cooperstown, New York.

The Medal of Freedom was originally given out for notable civilian service during World War II. President Kennedy later reimagined the medal as a broader honor, to be presented to people who the president determined had advanced national security, world peace or achieved “cultural or other significant public or private endeavors.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Fans Rip WFT QB Taylor Heinicke After Finding Out He’s a Trump Supporter
BYDANIEL BARNA
Jan 10, 2021

Image via Getty/Mitchell Layton

The Washington Football Team wasn't given much of a chance against Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during Saturday night's NFC wild-card game. That was especially true with the unproven Taylor Heinicke under center.

The 27-year-old quarterback was playing in place of the injured Alex Smith, and while he wasn't able to lead his team to victory, he performed a lot better than people expected. One play in particular—in which he evaded a sack and stretched out into the end zone for a touchdown—turned heads.

The excerpts you see above originated from an August 2020 piece examining Heinicke's long history of supporting Trump, and his questionable stance on the protests over social injustice that swept the nation last year. Once people online caught wind of Heinicke's particular views, the honeymoon for some, was over.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Fans Rip WFT QB Taylor Heinicke After Finding Out He’s a Trump Supporter
BYDANIEL BARNA
Jan 10, 2021

Image via Getty/Mitchell Layton

The Washington Football Team wasn't given much of a chance against Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during Saturday night's NFC wild-card game. That was especially true with the unproven Taylor Heinicke under center.

The 27-year-old quarterback was playing in place of the injured Alex Smith, and while he wasn't able to lead his team to victory, he performed a lot better than people expected. One play in particular—in which he evaded a sack and stretched out into the end zone for a touchdown—turned heads.

The excerpts you see above originated from an August 2020 piece examining Heinicke's long history of supporting Trump, and his questionable stance on the protests over social injustice that swept the nation last year. Once people online caught wind of Heinicke's particular views, the honeymoon for some, was over.

200.gif

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The issue is it will start an avalanche and your top 10 players may start thinking about going to a franchise who has no plans on winning or go to a better team and get paid in a few years and control the market. And there is the issue control, NFL and the owners don't want the players to have control. But Jamal Adam's, Ramsey and half the Jags demanded trades past 2 years and it kind of took that power away from their teams and demanded a trade to better themselves which worked.

Imagine D Smith from Bama saying I don't want to play for any of you drafting in the top 10. Skips the draft and is a undrafted free agent. Cause he wants to go to a playoff team like the Chiefs. He would have control and how could Andy Reid not jump on that.

That would change the game completely. Honestly I like it, why should you get a better player cause you sucked all year. Make better picks and signings and build your team up. Playoffs teams should be the lottery and the tanker gets the 32nd pick. Then teams would try harder.

Thats my opinion.