Official CW Black Lightning Discussion Thread (Fonzi Approved!) FINAL SEASON! NO Painkiller SPINOFF

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
p14166748_b_v8_ab.jpg

Greg Berlanti Is Developing a ‘Black Lightning’ Series

01-black-lightning.w529.h529.jpg

Get ready to dive even deeper into the DC universe: Greg Berlanti, the benevolent guardian of all things DC at the CW (The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, andsoon, Supergirl) is developing a new show*based on the comic-book character Black Lightning, according to Deadline. The series is being written by The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil, and it will follow Jefferson Pierce (the titular hero) as he comes out of super retirement to protect his upstanding daughter from criminal elements that want to bring her into their ranks. Lightning, who has the ability to generate and control, yes, lightning, first came to be in 1977. His original incarnation was as a high-school principal turned vigilante fighting against organized crime in Metropolis, the home of Superman, and he’s been affiliated with Batman’s Outsiders group as well as with the Justice League. (He also, apparently, once served as the secretary of education under one President Lex Luthor.) In the books, Pierce has a pair of daughters, Anissa and Jennifer, who went into the family business as Thunder and Lightning, but the report from Deadline only mentions one so far, who is “hell-bent on justice and a star student.” Certainly, there will be much more to come.

http://deadline.com/2016/09/black-l...rlanti-mara-brock-akil-salim-akil-1201811892/

Last edited by a moderator:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Will Greg Berlanti Soon Have Six Comic-Book Series On The CW??
Published at: Feb. 2, 2017, 6:11 p.m. CST by hercules

black_lightning_large.jpg

I am – Hercules!!

Deadline is reporting that Fox has decided not to order to pilot DC Comics' “Black Lightning" and the project is now likely to end up with all the other DC superhero shows on The CW.

Greg Berlanti is producing “Black Lightning,” based on the superhero introduced by DC Comics in 1977 -- five years after Marvel Comics introduced its own urban black superhero Luke "Power Man" Cage.

Berlanti currently produces five CW series based on comic books: “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl,” “Legends of Tomorrow” and the Archie Comics drama “Riverdale.” (He also wrote and produced the Ryan Reynolds movie based on DC Comics' Green Lantern.)

All of Berlanti’s CW shows are getting better ratings than “Jane The Virgin” and “My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,” both of which have renewed for next season.

Mara Brock, creator of the BET shows “The Game” and “Being Mary Jane,” writes and produces “Black Lightning” with husband Salim Akil.

In the proposed series Jefferson “Black Lightning” Pierce is both an educator and a fugitive ex-vigilante who finds himself drawn back to the superhero life by gangster menace and a justice-driven daughter.

Unlike fellow costumed vigilantes Batman and Green Arrow, the print version of Black Lightning sports superpowers. He can fly, generate force fields and manipulate electricity.

Find all of Deadline’s exclusive on the matter here.

black_lightning1_large.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
EXCLUSIVE: Lightning might strike three times, with a third Greg Berlanti-produced comic book series developed/launched at another network heading to the CW.

greg-berlanti-2.jpg

Associated Press
I’ve learned that Black Lightning, the high-profile drama based on the DC character, which had a big production commitment at Fox, is on the move and likely to land at the CW. The project comes from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe;The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil; and her husband Salim Akil. Discussions still are underway, but I hear the drama likely would get a pilot order.

This is a swift turnaround for the project, which was shopped to other networks by Warner Bros. TV immediately after Fox opted not to go to pilot, with the CW emerging as the likely new home. I hear Fox brass ultimately decided that the superhero show was not a good fit into its already crowded genre drama space that includes the DC/WBTV series Gotham and Lucifer, Seth MacFarlane’s upcoming space dramedy, and two pilots: the X-Men-themed drama written by Matt Nix and The Passage; all are from 20th TV.

this.jpg

The CW
Similarly, Archie Comics drama Riverdale, also originally developed at Fox, migrated to the CW, where it went to series and just premiered to strong reviews. And last May, DC superhero drama series Supergirlmoved from CBS to the CW, where it already has been renewed for next season. Like Black Lightning, the two series are produced by Berlanti.

RelatedPilots Season 2017 Actors Hot List: Sarah Shahi & Maya Rudolph Among Top Choices

The CW is home of Berlanti Prods.’s four DC/WBTV superhero series — Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, which Berlanti also co-created. That makes the network a suitable home for Black Lightning, which would give the CW’s DC universe its first major African-American superhero. Black Lightning would be the only black superhero toplining his own broadcast series and the second currently on TV, joining Marvel’s Luke Cage on Netflix.

Additionally, while the focus of the series is on Jefferson Pierce, aka Black Lightning, he has younger daughters also are main characters, an area that would likely be explored further for the CW.

mara-brock-salim-akil.jpg

Rex/Shutterstock
Written by the husband-and-wife duo of Akil and Brock Akil based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hellbent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

Akil and Brock Akil executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

The CW president Mark Pedowitz had said at TCA that the network had no ongoing plans for a new DC superhero series but had always left the door open for unforeseen opportunities, like Supergirl becoming available last May, which the network also swooped in to pick up.

Pierce aka Black Lightning was one of DC Comics’ first major African-American superheroes, making his debut in 1977. In the books, Jefferson has two daughters, both of whom have followed in his superhero footsteps: Anissa Pierce, aka Thunder, who is a member of the Outsiders, and Jennifer Pierce, aka Lightning, recruited by the Justice Society of America.

Brock Akil created comedy series Girlfriends and its spinoff The Game as well as drama Being Mary Jane. Akil was the director on all three and executive produced The Game and Being Mary Jane.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/black-lightning-dc-comic-drama-move-the-cw-greg-berlanti-1201901139/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Cress Williams has suited up as Black Lightning!

Warner Bros. Television and The CW released the first look at the titular superhero from its upcoming pilot Black Lightning, which hails from prolific superhero producer Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl) as well as The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil.

Start saving now!

The logline for the project reads, “Jefferson Pierce made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with one daughter hell-bent on justice and the other a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.”

The costume for Black Lightning was designed by Laura Jean Shannon, whose credits include Iron Man, The Jungle Book, and the upcoming Jumaiji sequel.

RELATED: The Best CW Shows of All Time

“I knew way too much about the world as a young boy growing up in Richmond, California,” says Salim Akil, who is directing the pilot from a script he wrote. “I was no stranger to violence, death, hopelessness or the feeling that no one cared about what was happening in my life. Comics were a great way for me to escape. I was about 13 when Black Lightning was created, and finally there was a Black Super Hero that gave a damn about our neighborhood and our lives. Resurrecting him at a time in our society when a sense of hope is lacking…Black Lightning will be that hope. And in updating the suit, it will signal to a new generation that it’s time to harness and release our power, and become our own Super Heroes.”

sjfdsh.jpg

THE CW
Black Lightning, created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden in 1977, is one of DC Comics’ first major African-American superheroes.

Black Lightning, also executive produced by Sarah Schechter, is currently in production in Atlanta.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OK.
I can fuck with this.
It looks very interesting.
But; because it's on the CW, I can predict some storyline points.
And since it's made up of a primarily Black cast, I can guarantee you there will be:
- An interracial love story.
- An LGBT/Trans character or story arc. (Involving a sidekick or one of his daughters)
- Really bad "urban" dialogue.
- A superhero who only deals with "urban" issues. Racism, police brutality, BLM etc... (Things that don't exist in The Arrow, Flash, or Legends of Tomorrow universe for some reason...) :rolleyes:
-
Corny villains..

But, in spite of all this, I'll still give it a shot, though...:D

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OK.
I can fuck with this.
And since it's made up of a primarily Black cast, I can guarantee you there will be:
- An LGBT/Trans character or story arc. (Involving a sidekick or one of his daughters)
- A superhero who only deals with "urban" issues. Racism, police brutality, BLM etc... (Things that don't exist in The Arrow, Flash, or Legends of Tomorrow universe for some reason...) :rolleyes:
-
Corny villains..

Well, if they are sticking to the comics, Anisa, the youngest daughter, comes out as bi. So, that's already covered...

TheAlias

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
"If you mess with me, my sister.." *cuts to girl holding marijuana joint on dance floor*

There's likely a lack of footage of the sister, so I'm led to believe she will die early on.

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
OK.
I can fuck with this.
-
Corny villains..

one of the daughters will be in a interracial relationship while black lightning wont be getting any pussy on his own show

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
OK.
I can fuck with this.
-
Corny villains..

It would get no play without the first part.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Black Lightning's Pilot Hasn't Filmed Yet

by Joseph Schmidt | June 21, 2017

The CW had somewhat of a tumultuous journey before it finally landed a home.

But now that the network picked up Black Lightning for a series order after it was passed over by FOX, the Arrowverse will get a little bit bigger with the addition of Cress Williams as the title character.

And though that epic first trailer might have given an indication that the show is well on its way, the pilot hasn’t actually even been shot yet. That footage was cut from a presentation for the networks.

The news comes from Tony Isabella, original co-creator of the character for DC Comics alongside Trevor Von Eeden. Isabella is not a producer on the show but he said showrunners Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil keep him in the loop during a discussion with the iDigital Times. He revealed that he has “known stuff before it hits online.”

For example,” Isabella said, “people kept talking about a Black Lightning pilot having been filmed. No. No pilot was filmed. They did a presentation piece, which was then cut into the trailer. And when I first heard that from DC, I thought it was a bad thing. And then they told me no, well, we sold Legends of Tomorrow with a picture of the cast and brief synopsis.”

UP NEXT: Showrunner Reveals There Won't Be Villains Of The Week

It sounds like the show is currently in the planning phase for its midseason debut, likely to air in the beginning of 2018.

It remains to be seen just how much the episodes will be true to the footage we’ve already seen, which really turned out to be a proof of concept. Hopefully it looks - and feels - similar to that epic trailer, because it looked like another interesting offer in The CW’s spate of DC Comics-related offerings.

Black Lightning will air on The CW in 2018.

More Black Lightning News:Black Lighting Officially Not In TheArrowverse / Black Lightning Gets a Series Order at The CW / Black Lightning Character Breakdowns And Synopsis Released

Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a New Orleans neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad.

Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered. Almost a decade later, Pierce’s crime-fighting days are long behind him…or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community.

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/22/black-lightning-pilot-not-filmed-yet/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/21/black-lightning-the-cw-static-shock-metamorpho-tobias-whale/

Black Lightning Co-Creator On Which Characters Could Appear in The CW's Series

by Jenna Anderson | June 21, 2017

DC Comics property to debut on the small screen, with the series set to premiere on The CW next year. And with Black Lightning's rich comic history - first appearing on the page in April of 1977 - there are plenty of supporting characters that could possibly appear on the show.

According to one of Jefferson Pierce's creators, Tony Isabella, viewers could very well see some fan-favorite characters on the show.

While at a panel during the East Coast Black Age Of Comics Convention, Isabella teased that the season's rumored Big Bad, corrupt politician Tobias Whale, will be adapted to television in a faithful way.

"I think he is [involved in the show]," Isabella explained, "but I think he will be more like the version you've seen before."

In the comics, Whale is responsible for Jefferson Pierce becoming Black Lightning in the fist place: Tobias Whale is an African American albino, who worked his way up from the rackets to head the Metropolis branch of The 100. When school teacher Jefferson Pierce spoke out against the 100's drug trafficking, Whale decided to make an example of one of his students.

Another character that Isabella would like the show to adapt is Metamorpho, a hero with the ability to transform into a variety of elements.

“I got to tell you, I love the idea of Metamorpho at some point in the future. I love the character. I’m trying to convince DC that some of their b and c characters, they don’t necessarily have to do them themselves. I know a studio like Asylum, they would love to do a DC or Marvel superhero, but their budgets are not Warner Brothers budgets. But Metamorpho you could do. With the technology to do Sharknado, you could do Metamorpho.”

But one of the most-anticipated characters from Black Lightning's orbit is Virgil Hawkins, a.k.a. the teenaged superhero Static Shock. While one of the show's executive producers has expressed interest in bringing the character onto the show, Isabella appears to be less on board with the idea.

"It was frustrating when people say, 'I can’t wait to see Static in there.'" Isabella explained. "Static is a great character, but you put him in Black Lightning, he’s a sidekick, or you reduce Black Lightning to just a mentor role. I love both characters, I mean, I love Black Lighting more."

With Black Lightning's first season still in its very early stages, fans will just have to wait and see which characters are brought onto the show.

More Black Lightning news:

Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a New Orleans neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad.

Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered. Almost a decade later, Pierce’s crime-fighting days are long behind him…or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
To wrap this up.... after watching the trailer yesterday.

I’m extremely worried about Black Lighting.

It does not look right at all.

Quoting my post from supergirl thread because I think this does deserve a discussion. I’ve seen two trailers on this show and I’m worried.

Right now it just looks like Meh and I need this to be better then Meh. BLACK LIGHTING is an iconic DC character.