New York Declares Juneteenth A Holiday For State Employees.....

Simply_Black

International
International Member

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio has announced that Juneteenth - the 19 June date which marks the end of US slavery - will become an official holiday.

It comes as millions of Americans plan to commemorate, with marches and personal observances, the 1865 date when the last US slaves were freed.

Several states already observe the day as an official holiday and there is a push to declare it a national holiday.

The date's significance has grown this year amid Black Lives Matter protests.

Mayor de Blasio said in a press conference on Friday that the date would be marked as an official city holiday beginning in 2021, and will also be a public school holiday.

"We'll work with all the unions to work through the plan, give this day the importance and recognition it deserves," Mr de Blasio said. "Every city worker, every student will have the opportunity to reflect the meaning of our history and the truth."

Earlier this week, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed an order making Juneteenth - also known as Emancipation Day and Freedom Day - a paid holiday for state workers.

Mr Cuomo said he would introduce legislation to make the day a holiday for all New Yorkers by 2021.

Virginia Governor Ralph Northam also promised to make Juneteenth a holiday by 2021 in the former capitol of the Confederacy which rebelled against the US during the Civil War for the legal right to enslave black people.

In Pennsylvania, Gov Tom Wolf has also signed an order making Juneteenth a holiday for state workers.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why was this bill so easy to pass? :dunno:

Pandering....

It only applies to federal employees.

and instead of meaningful policy or legislation they can see look we gave you a holiday. when just two years ago they didn't even know what it was.

It's like when people would post how cool Obama was, we supposed to feel good he he wouldn't even speak n our behalf

xfactor

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Pandering....

It only applies to federal employees.

and instead of meaningful policy or legislation they can see look we gave you a holiday. when just two years ago they didn't even know what it was.

It's like when people would post how cool Obama was, we supposed to feel good he he wouldn't even speak n our behalf
Holiday also benefits everyone not just so-called black descendants of prisoners of war.

Not a good look to keep taking these token gestures. What happened to accountability?

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Whats wrong with Juneteenth being a national holiday?

I understand that you expect MORE from this admin, but getting this passed doesnt mean they should stop there.

So why be mad about this?

There's nothing wrong with it being a holiday. The problem is it doesn't address the issue that caused it, it's symbolic. Add on the commercialization that comes with it, sales, people who ain't ADOS selling merch, people monetizing events, etc. There is a Juneteenth "parade" this weekend in Atlanta that is basically a Caribbean Carnival. They are having mas and wearing Caribbean flags, literally nothing to do with our ancestors or the event. A lot of ads aren't using the Juneteenth flag or colors but pan African shit. :smh: This isn't a Pan African event, it's a Black American one, that is disrespectful. LGBT community is already merging they shit into Juneteenth and co opting events into some gays were oppressed like slaves bullshit and Twitter uses a rainbow gay emoji for it. That is disrespectful. America has a history of taking our gains and giving them to everybody (immigrants, gays, whites, etc) to erase our justice claim.

AllUniverse17

Rising Star
Registered
There's nothing wrong with it being a holiday. The problem is it doesn't address the issue that caused it, it's symbolic. Add on the commercialization that comes with it, sales, people who ain't ADOS selling merch, people monetizing events, etc. There is a Juneteenth "parade" this weekend in Atlanta that is basically a Caribbean Carnival. They are having mas and wearing Caribbean flags, literally nothing to do with our ancestors or the event. A lot of ads aren't using the Juneteenth flag or colors but pan African shit. :smh: This isn't a Pan African event, it's a Black American one, that is disrespectful. LGBT community is already merging they shit into Juneteenth and co opting events into some gays were oppressed like slaves bullshit and Twitter uses a rainbow gay emoji for it. That is disrespectful. America has a history of taking our gains and giving them to everybody (immigrants, gays, whites, etc) to erase our justice claim.

Do we agree that it should be a national holiday?

If so, shouldn't we take the time to be happy about this?

Almost all the comments in this thread are negative.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Do we agree that it should be a national holiday?

If so, shouldn't we take the time to be happy about this?

If we asked for a national holiday, yea I guess we would be happy. But we didn't we asked for reparations. You're not from our lineage and are loyal to white Democrats so you're just not gonna get it, and that's ok. It just proves our point that we are different, and that's ok too. Enjoy your day off.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
on the flip side of that point there is nothing stopping blacks and black businesses from co-opting "white" holidays is there??

you gonna tell me we can't flip st patricks day or jewish holidays etc to benefit monetarily??

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
on the flip side of that point there is nothing stopping blacks and black businesses from co-opting "white" holidays is there??

you gonna tell me we can't flip st patricks day or jewish holidays etc to benefit monetarily??

Juneteenth isn't a celebration. If you were from our lineage you'd know this. And I don't participate in any of those holidays, nor do I know any "black businesses" monetizing Jewish holidays or whatever. Take that up with them. WE don't want non ADOS disrespecting this day, it regardless of what goes down on theirs.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Juneteenth isn't a celebration. If you were from our lineage you'd know this. And I don't participate in any of those holidays, nor do I know any "black businesses" monetizing Jewish holidays or whatever. Take that up with them. WE don't want non ADOS disrespecting this day, it regardless of what goes down on theirs.
pretty sure the people informed that slavery was ended were kinda happy about that. :rolleyes:

also you can't control what people say or do about anything in the public specter... If you don't want Juneteenth acknowledged by society at large then start a petition to recind it..i'm sure half the cacs in the country would sign on.

Otherwise its out there. :dunno:

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
pretty sure the people informed that slavery was ended were kinda happy about that. :rolleyes:

also you can't control what people say or do about anything in the public specter... If you don't want Juneteenth acknowledged by society at large then start a petition to recind it..i'm sure half the cacs in the country would sign on.

Otherwise its out there. :dunno:

Juneteenth is not a celebration cac. It's to honor our ancestors. I'm sorry people monetize your Jew holidays, but people who do the same to ours will be checked.