New Orleans Family and Frequent N.O. Travelers....Black History Tour

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I appreciate all the input on the food spots.

Whats a good black history tour?

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
I don't know of specific tours, but would definitely tour Treme neighborhood, French Quarter, and, if you're able to get out of the city, the Whitney Plantation. It's the only plantation dedicated towards slavery, and I'm told is a great tour because it reflects the experience of slavery on modern-day Louisiana. It's between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. We also have Dillard University and Xavier University, two HBCUs, which are probably nice to visit. Dillard's campus will remind you of a plantation with it's white Colonial-style buildings. Xavier is not as closed-in as Dillard, but it's got great African American Catholic history.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don't know of specific tours, but would definitely tour Treme neighborhood, French Quarter, and, if you're able to get out of the city, the Whitney Plantation. It's the only plantation dedicated towards slavery, and I'm told is a great tour because it reflects the experience of slavery on modern-day Louisiana. It's between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. We also have Dillard University and Xavier University, two HBCUs, which are probably nice to visit. Dillard's campus will remind you of a plantation with it's white Colonial-style buildings. Xavier is not as closed-in as Dillard, but it's got great African American Catholic history.

Thank you!!!!

Mr. Del

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

whitney plantation tour was good. if you're fairly knowledgeable of slave history in America, then much of the info isn't new, but there are a lot of good gems you can learn about. It was there I learned the term "mumbo jumbo" has roots in slavery. you also get to see hands on the day to day lifestyle of slaves and learn the history of the plantation owners themselves. If you can, hold out for the black tour guide with the dreds. I forgot his name, but he was pretty good. One of the employees said he was the best tour guide at the plantation and I believe it. Gave him a small tip at the end of the tour. I also felt it would have been better than getting black history from white ppl.

Last edited: