NBA rookies now have knees that are as worn down as 5-8 year vets - Earl Watson

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think they are training and working out much younger than ever, but I doubt they played as much competitively in every sport as before, on a daily basis. I would wait until a kid bones develop a little bit, before putting him through rigorous individual and weight training too young, have them wearing knee protection much younger.

AAU could cut back on the frequency of games a little bit though, it would help.

I believe in a pro athlete managing his minutes each game, but I do not believe in load management (missing full games) which hurts season ticket holders, and travelers who purchase tickets in advance.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I'd rather a doctor say this, it would have more credibility.

Kids were playing basketball during the off season before AAU. You can't tell me that these hall of famers weren't playing every day during the summer when they were young. That's how they got better.

And look at the players from the 80's. Most of their bodies broke down around 32.

Look at Doctor J and compare him to Lebron or pre achilles Kobe.

hardawayz16

Rising Star
Registered

Kids were playing basketball during the off season before AAU. You can't tell me that these hall of famers weren't playing every day during the summer when they were young. That's how they got better.

And look at the players from the 80's. Most of their bodies broke down around 32.

There have been doctors recently that have said that kids today are "specializing" in one sport at a younger age - where most older dudes can remember playing multiple sports as youngins - sometimes in the same day.

Now many kids focus on basketball specifically at really young ages, getting pro trainers, going through pro-like workouts, using the same muscle groups over and over.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Docs have been saying this for years

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I think playing street ball with your friends off season is different than aau programs that's more structured & strenuous with training the coaches have kids do.

Another thing, is that some parents push their kids to these year round training programs in efforts to make their kids elite.

I have a friend from high school who has his elementary aged son in multiple training programs for the 3 top sports. All he does is post IG videos of his kid being trained, pushing tires, jumping over boxes and shit . Poor kid looks like he's gonna pass out :smh:. Doing that much rigorous training along with playing the 3 major sports year round can't be good on your legs by the time they reach early adult hood.

BK Pop

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mane ACLs ain't shit nowadays. my son tore both ACL his senior year in high school. He played usssa baseball spring and fall his early years. Then spring summer and fall ball when he started high school. Tore the first during the summer 2 days b4 a college showcase. He had surgery and rehab. Then tore the other the first game of season running into the catcher when stealing home.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
There have been doctors recently that have said that kids today are "specializing" in one sport at a younger age - where most older dudes can remember playing multiple sports as youngins - sometimes in the same day.

Now many kids focus on basketball specifically at really young ages, getting pro trainers, going through pro-like workouts, using the same muscle groups over and over.
Exactly. Overuse injuries. It's why you vary workouts or take breaks, but these kids hooping AND running drills year round. It like the old days when you just ran some games during the summer/off season. These kids doing games and practices and usually on training programs. I came up and didn't have to run line drills year round.

Knees like tires. You only got so many miles you can put on those bitches.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Plenty of former NBA players kids play AAU. Plenty sponsor AAU teams. Lebron and DWades kids never have to work, they play AAU.

And how many actually have knee problems?

and I think it's exaggerated how much AAU kids play. AAU is like boogie man people want to place all blame on. They might have three games in a day. Exactly how is that different than playing during the summer.

You can say AAU has something to do with pitching and young kids having Tommy John, but basketball, there's no proven correlation.

powmia

Rising Star
Registered
Between AAU track and BBall, which one was more expensive and time consuming?
Don't know the cost for AAU track or BBall, but my oldest son plays travel baseball, the cost for baseball is ridiculously expensive. Quality bats alone start at $300 and go much higher. The cost of equipment is sky high, hotels/travel and all day tournaments during the heat of the summer..... This is probably one of the main reasons why there are not a lot of black kids playing baseball anymore. The payoff for me is seeing the faces of opposing parents when a majority black 10u baseball team routinely beats all white well funded/sponsored teams (Priceless).

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
Don't know the cost for AAU track or BBall, but my oldest son plays travel baseball, the cost for baseball is ridiculously expensive. Quality bats alone start at $300 and go much higher. The cost of equipment is sky high, hotels/travel and all day tournaments during the heat of the summer..... This is probably one of the main reasons why there are not a lot of black kids playing baseball anymore. The payoff for me is seeing the faces of opposing parents when a majority black 10u baseball team routinely beats all white well funded/sponsored teams (Priceless).
HBO did a special on travel baseball.