MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
What do ya'll recommend in terms of theatre-based, downloading, or streaming movies to close out 2007? What to check out? :confused:

THEATER

Had free passes through http://www.airmiles.ca rewards and checked out the following flicks with fam' in the past 2 weeks, and enjoyed them all:

- INTO THE WILD :yes:
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN :yes::yes:
- SWEENEY TODD - THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET :yes:

DVD RENTALS

What's worthwhile in checking out from the local mom and pops shop, or the bigger chains and shit? I've got 5 free rentals remaining at Blockbuster that I need to use up in the first 1/2 of 2008. Rented a few so far in the past month ... most recently SICKO.

Should a BGOL'er use up the other freebies on the likes of ...

- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN III :confused:
- SHREK III :confused:
- ALPHA DOG :confused:
- FANTASTIC FOUR II - RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER :confused:
- what else :confused:
- Or just wait it out and rent AMERICAN GANGSTER, I AM LEGEND and other shit (instead of just checking it online) :confused:

Last edited:

Arctic Sun

Support BGOL
Registered
I recently viewed "The Squid and The Whale." Definitely recommend it.

That was a good one.......

I recently saw Margot at the Wedding.......it was okay, definitely had a indie feel to it as with its risque themes and choppy editing. There were points I wanted it to end and a 90 min film felt like a full 2 hrs.

I wasn't disappointed in Nat'l Treasure 2 because it had entertainment value, but if you're looking for cinematic excellence.....look elsewhere.

Obviously The Great Debaters Screener is on this website, so I checked that out. Inspiring, great acting, but rather predictable.

Everybody I know that's seen Juno raves about it.

The Golden Compass was alright. If you've read the book, you may have a better understanding of what's going on and what's to come.

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
chick-a-chick-a-chick-a...............:lol:

large_superbad.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Everybody I know that's seen Juno raves about it.

I want to check that one out. It's been getting alot of critical praise in recent weeks, and lots of talk in regards to nominations for Screen Actors Guild + Critics Choice-type awards, etc.

People are saying that Ellen Page and Michael Cera (Arrested Development w/ Bateman + Superbad, etc) do a great job in the flick.

juno-poster2-big.jpg

slam

Super Moderator
something a lil less known.....outside the urban community.....

BluehillAvenue2001656_f.jpg

aaron_d_spears2.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Slam,

I'll keep an eye out for that joint, fam'. I'm a fan of Allen Payne's work.

He starred in JASON'S LYRIC back around 1994 with Jada P. Smith, right?

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
No Country For Old Men
3:10 to Yuma - Pretty good for a remake of a classic

As far as good goes thats probably it. Nothing really stands out.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Gone Baby Gone
The Bucket List
The Great Debaters
Eastern Promises
3:10 To Yuma
American Gangster

Damn there have been a bunch of good movies coming out lately. Props to MICROJUBEI. A movie that I have had for like over a year sitting with my dvds was Lucky Number Slevin. For whatever reason I never watched it, a few weeks ago, i was a little under the weather and said fuck it, threw the movie in the dvd player and YO!!! What the fuck took me so long, that movie was the SHIT!!! I know I'm old, but i don't give a fuck, I am still pissed that it took me so long to watch it.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Gone Baby Gone
The Bucket List
The Great Debaters
Eastern Promises
3:10 To Yuma
American Gangster

Damn there have been a bunch of good movies coming out lately. Props to MICROJUBEI. A movie that I have had for like over a year sitting with my dvds was Lucky Number Slevin. For whatever reason I never watched it, a few weeks ago, i was a little under the weather and said fuck it, threw the movie in the dvd player and YO!!! What the fuck took me so long, that movie was the SHIT!!! I know I'm old, but i don't give a fuck, I am still pissed that it took me so long to watch it.

Good list, fam'.

My pops has seen Eastern / 3:10 & Gone and dug all 3.

My brother's seen American G'.

Didn't Lucky Number Slevin get poor reviews though?

slam

Super Moderator
Slam,

I'll keep an eye out for that joint, fam'. I'm a fan of Allen Payne's work.

He starred in JASON'S LYRIC back around 1994 with Jada P. Smith, right?

yep........he`s more known for his role n newjack city .....

a denzel movie that i thought wuz good but didnt make much money at the box office....

the eyecandy alone is worth it....sanaa & eva.....:yes:

oot_wallpaper2_1024.jpg

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Good list, fam'.

My pops has seen Eastern / 3:10 & Gone and dug all 3.

My brother's seen American G'.

Didn't Lucky Number Slevin get poor reviews though?

not sure what reviews Lucky Number Slevin got, but i usually don't listen to reviews. I have seen some bad movies, i have seen some good movies. I have also seen some "bad" and found some enjoyment while seeing some "good" movies and found disgust in them. its all about personal taste.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
slevin was good
out of time was kinda weak
Balls of Fury was wack as fuck
I Am Legend was trash - I am Robot
Mr Woodcock was garbage
Chaos was trash
Everyones Going Green was soso

Brick was good- saw that earlier this year - just giving it a shout out

bout to try to watch green street hooligans again

Tazirai

Star
Registered
I want to check that one out. It's been getting alot of critical praise in recent weeks, and lots of talk in regards to nominations for Screen Actors Guild + Critics Choice-type awards, etc.

People are saying that Ellen Page and Michael Cera (Arrested Development w/ Bateman + Superbad, etc) do a great job in the flick.

juno-poster2-big.jpg

Co-sign that shit was WILLD!
Lovin some of the indie movies.
Can't stand the Lets sip lattes and talk about my problems, while you have sex with the doorman, type of flicks.

HALO2

CONNOISSEUR OF FINE WOMEN
Registered
I Mostly Watch What You Guys Upload...unless I Take My Girl To A Movie Or She Comes Over And We Watch A Dvd

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
16 blocks Mos Def should win an award for this one.

photo_04.jpg

Speaking of MOS ... he's got alot of movies set for 2008/2009, and has been keeping really busy. When I was at the Sweeney Todd flick on Monday they ran a preview for his next film he stars in alongside Jack Black. Looks pretty funny. Had people in the theatre laughing - BE KIND REWIND. On another positive note - it's from MICHEL GONDRY (and he's got alot of fans here on BGOL with his prior work - so a number of people here will probably be interested).The preview was funny as fuck when they were doing their remakes of Ghostbusters and Driving Miss Daisy, etc.:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0080049/ - BIO'
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0799934/ - BE KIND REWIND

"A man (Black) whose brain becomes magnetized unintentionally destroys every tape in his friend's (Mos Def) video store. In order to satisfy the store's most loyal renter, an aging woman with signs of dementia, the two men set out to remake the lost films, which include Back to the Future, The Lion King, and Robocop."

be-kind-rewind-img1.jpg

bekind-pic1.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
What's everyone's take on EASTERN PROMISES? Hearing mixed reviews from everyone here (and online in general). Is it worth a rental?

Also ... for a cat who's never been able to catch even one episode of THE WIRE ... is it worth bucklin' down and just renting a few of the seasons just for the hell of it?

Again ... with the free rentals (and more on the way) ...

?

Arctic Sun

Support BGOL
Registered
What's everyone's take on EASTERN PROMISES? Hearing mixed reviews from everyone here (and online in general). Is it worth a rental?

Also ... for a cat who's never been able to catch even one episode of THE WIRE ... is it worth bucklin' down and just renting a few of the seasons just for the hell of it?

Again ... with the free rentals (and more on the way) ...

?

I thought Eastern Promises was pretty good. But it really depends on what type of movies you like to watch. That's probably why it got mixed reviews from the general public, but strong reviews from the media.

I say give it a go.....

As for THE WIRE, you gotta do it. Begin with Season 1 and keep it movin, I would say skip Season 2, but in the bigger picture of things it does have its place. Just give it patience in the beginning as THE WIRE takes a couple of episodes to get moving. Those first couple, you're going to get a breakdown of what's going on and who the major players are....

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I thought Eastern Promises was pretty good. But it really depends on what type of movies you like to watch. That's probably why it got mixed reviews from the general public, but strong reviews from the media.

I say give it a go.....

As for THE WIRE, you gotta do it. Begin with Season 1 and keep it movin, I would say skip Season 2, but in the bigger picture of things it does have its place. Just give it patience in the beginning as THE WIRE takes a couple of episodes to get moving. Those first couple, you're going to get a breakdown of what's going on and who the major players are....

Thanks, bro. Yeah ... I'm a fan of Cronenberg's work so I need to check it out eventually. Just trying to see if there were more positive reviews out there from BGOL peers. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes ... I'm actually thinking of buying previously-viewed box sets for THE SOPRANOS, SIX FEET UNDER, THE WIRE, HUFF, and THE SHIELD years from now. I've gotta have all them joints in the library, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay suggested retail price for 'em, lol. Are there enough BONUS FEATURES with The Wire's seasons to make the dvd rentals/purchases worthwhile, or could I just quickly get caught up in the next year or two watching the seasons online on all the tv/movie sites?

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
At the movie theatre I would recommend Juno and Lars and the Real Girl. Both were pretty good comedies. I Am Legend is pretty good.As far as rentals go I gotta co-sign the movie Brick, The Lookout was good, Alpha Dog is alright, and if you haven't seen Superbad yet definitely pick it up.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
At the movie theatre I would recommend Juno and Lars and the Real Girl. Both were pretty good comedies. I Am Legend is pretty good.As far as rentals go I gotta co-sign the movie Brick, The Lookout was good, Alpha Dog is alright, and if you haven't seen Superbad yet definitely pick it up.

Juno ~ Gonna try and check it out with my mom as she wants to see it as well

Lars and the Real Girl ~ Lots of positive reviews for it, and Ryan Gosling is by far one of the best 20-something actors in the game. Good to see him getting additional recognition in recent years with Half Nelson, The Notebook, and so on

I Am Legend ~ Gonna try and watch it online or rent the dvd in the first 1/4 of 2008

Brick ~ Enjoyed it - caught it earlier on in 2007. Good stuff

The Lookout ~ What's this one about again?

Alpha Dog ~ Probably gonna rent this one in January/February 2008'ish

Superbad ~ Made sure to check it out on BGOL that first week there. Big ups to all fam' members and to the homie MICROJUBEI, no doubt

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Atonement was pretty good . Visually stimulating ....

Coworker of mine caught it last week. Said it was pretty good. It's in alot of Top 10 lists, and was nominated for a bunch of Golden Globe nominations. Keira Knightley and James McAvoy ... both good actors in their own right.