MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched 1917 and 7500 earlier this week.

Great cinematography with 1917, as expected. Especially with the long, tracking shots.

Enjoyed 7500 as well. Good one for the Joseph Gordon Levitt fans. Minimal wasted time in the film ... gets right into it pretty quickly. Good tension with the close(d) quarters, claustrophobic feel at times.

Gye78

International
International Member
Jason Gedrick was good on that Boomtown series in the early-2000s. Always wished that show could have run longer.

Boomtown is an American action drama television series created by Graham Yost, that aired on NBC from September 29, 2002 to December 28, 2003. Created by Graham Yost, the show's title is a nickname for its setting: Los Angeles, California.

The show portrayed a criminal investigation each week, seen from various points of view: the police officers and detectives, the lawyers, paramedics, reporters, victims, witnesses and criminals. Despite the show's innovative style – similar to that of Akira Kurosawa's film Rashomon, except all the perspectives agree – and glowing critical reviews, the show never drew a significant audience.

The series premiered on September 29, 2002. The first season order was for 18 episodes instead of the usual 22. After airing 12 episodes with disappointing ratings, NBC CTV moved Boomtown from Sundays to Fridays, putting the show on a two-month hiatus before it returned in March 2003. Its first season ended before May sweeps, an important period in determining ratings and thus ad revenue values.

Boomtown was renewed for a second season, but to satisfy the network's concerns with low ratings, the producers made some changes. Most significantly they abandoned the show's unique style. In Season One each story was told in a non-linear fashion, with each character's view adding a new detail. In Season Two, they still would put up people's names as if it followed them specifically, but there was not much new information on the mystery, and aside from a few flashbacks, the episode's events would run in order. There were changes within the cast as well. Nina Garbiras was let go, as the producers wished to focus more exclusively on Law & Order type characters. There was never any mention of her reporter character again. Lana Parrilla's character suddenly joined the police academy. The character had previously been seen as never wanting to be anything but a paramedic after her mother's death. Vanessa L. Williams joined the cast for every episode, but was billed as a guest star. She played Detective Katherine Pierce, a high-ranking officer who transfers into Bobby and Joel's division. Jason Gedrick and Neal McDonough were absent from one episode each (although Gedrick's Tom Turcotte was heard on the telephone), and McDonough was also absent from all but the last 20 seconds of the season premiere. Lana Parrilla was not in three of the six episodes. After airing only two episodes, the series was put on hiatus. NBC broadcast reruns of Law & Order in its place before deciding to cancel the series. Three of the remaining unaired episodes were broadcast on December 27, 2003, and the final episode aired on December 28, 2003.

In restrospect, the show's creator, Graham Yost said: "Boomtown was perhaps, in retrospect, better suited for HBO or FX. But at that time, HBO had The Wire, and FX had The Shield. So NBC was really the only place for it, and they embraced the Rashomon structure and were excited by that, but then when the ratings weren’t spectacular, what happens is everyone questions everything. “Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe it’s the music. Maybe it’s this. Maybe it’s that. And the doubt becomes corrosive. So when we were lobbying for a second season, we were told straightforwardly that… there was one particular episode toward the end of the first season where Fearless, played by Mykelti Williamson, has to deal with the past of having been molested as a child, and we were basically told, “You can’t do any more episodes like that.” To this day, I don't know if that was the right decision. I do feel like that was one of the best episodes we ever did. I'm extraordinarily proud of that. But you want to keep going, you want to work with those actors, those writers, that crew. You want to take a shot, and you're hoping you will succeed, but we didn't. So there's a part of me that regrets the abbreviated second season, but there's also a part of me that's like, “Eh. We gave it a shot.” [1]

Boomtown received several awards and nominations, including Emmy Awards, Golden Satellite Awards, and Television Critics Association Awards.

Yeah I remember this show, had a lot of potential. Was looking for some episodes online recently. Couldn't find any.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
mid 80`s when fighter jet movies were the wave ....:giggle:

516vpTwASOL._AC_.jpg

that movie was the bizness...favorite part was when white dude managed to piss of Louis Gossett Jr cause he though dude did not care to help out. Gossett was like "believe me boy everytime someone dies for this country I GIVE A SHIT!" lol

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Good looking out bro.

You’re welcome. Just double-check that Youtube link for additional episodes. Just embedded the first 7 eps. Bought season 1 on dvd box set back in the early-2000s. It’s unfortunate they only got an abbreviated, shortened number of eps for the 2nd season. I think I only caught 1 or 2. Need to go back and re-check at some point.

xxironxx

PhD in Trollin
BGOL Investor
Man, that little girl was crazy as shit! Sitting around the fire pit singing and waiting. And the final kill was (Dave Chapelle voice imitating Rick James) "cold blooded." It was a good movie. I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Thanks for recommending it.

They could, and should, do a sequel.
Looked like it was setup for a sequel. And yea she was batshit crazy

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Checked out this doc' earlier. A BTS look at the build-up to her 'Joanne' album, and Superbowl halftime show ... filmed in 2016 / early-2017. Pretty good.

Nicest moments =

- Playing a key song for her grandma

- Topless in the backyard talking to 2 - 3 people from her team

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Palm Springs

Can I see you again,and again?

PRAISE: I'm so glad I didn't read about or watch any trailers for the movie
I was ready for the normal meet cute romantic comedy but 15 minutes in i was saying what in the world is happening?!?
Sure some of the story threads have been done before but thanks to some different takes and paths from writer Andy Siara PS definitely has some originality.
Also a enthusiastic cast including :Andy Samberg,Cristin Milioti,Peter Gallagher and J. K. Simmons
raises the film several levels.Plus its surprisingly life affirming

PROBLEMS: Every joke and sight gag doesn't work and i felt the movie was about 10 minutes to long

In the end a nice mid summer surprise

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

THE RENTAL

#shouldhavestayedhome

PRAISE:In director Dave Franco's directorial debut he and co writer Joe Swanberg story of two couples renting out a home with an ocean view for a getaway that slowly but surely turns into a nightmare.
The story is shaped by suspicion and assumption that raises the levels of the basics of the script.
The cast is enthusiastic and watchable and includes Dan Stevens,Alison Brie, Sheila Vand,Jeremy Allen White and Toby Huss.There are some good moments of suspense.

PROBLEMS:The latter part of the film slips into basic slasher mode and cant find its way around been there done that moments.Definitely doesnt live up to the first parts of the film which had moments of creativity.

Still Franco and Swanberg show promise and it will be cool to see what they come up with next.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

cute little movie

i had been wondering what fassbender has been up to

feels like his spark has burnt out

anyway if you are into westerns this is a good movie
plenty of action
good story
and funny

7/10

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The Way Back

Watched it with a recovering alcoholic and they noted the movie did a good job showing the struggle w/ the disease - especially relating to routine behaviors. Good action sequences with the HS basketball games. Believable role for Affleck given his battles w/ substance abuse in recent decades - often playing out in the public eye. Good movie. Recommend it.

Bumpee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Way Back

Watched it with a recovering alcoholic and they noted the movie did a good job showing the struggle w/ the disease - especially relating to routine behaviors. Good action sequences with the HS basketball games. Believable role for Affleck given his battles w/ substance abuse in recent decades - often playing out in the public eye. Good movie. Recommend it.
I had meant to watch this and forgot all about it. Haven't found it anywhere though.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

solid 7/10

this is such a funny movie
well acted
well paced
well worth the watch

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
Greyhound 2020 720p WEBRip

f4ee771349035425.jpg

Early in World War II, an inexperienced U.S. Navy captain must lead an Allied convoy being stalked by Nazi U-boat wolfpacks.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Greyhound 2020 720p WEBRip

f4ee771349035425.jpg

Early in World War II, an inexperienced U.S. Navy captain must lead an Allied convoy being stalked by Nazi U-boat wolfpacks.

Pretty decent ,short though could have easily been 2 to 2 and a half hour flick