MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Black A. Camus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Da 5 Bloods

War is Hell ...during and after !!

PRAISE : Four friends/Vietnam Vets return to Vietnam for a mission that is personal and possibly profitable.

All of the actors turn in strong performances including: Delroy Lindo,Jonathan Majors
Clarke Peters,Norm Lewis,Isiah Whitlock Jr. Mélanie Thierry,Paul Walter Hauser,Jasper Pääkkönen,Jean Reno and Chadwick Boseman
I enjoyed the strong dynamics between the characters
Lindo is the standout especially when the film focuses on his characters wounded psyche

Spike Lee has woven a story that not only holds up a mirror to the current climate of the United States which includes politics, race relations, PTSD,Perscription drugs and dedications to black icons in media and history.
He once again includes powerful imagery from the past and present some that is definitely not for the faint of heart.
There is something so haunting about the way Lee infuses his films with words and images that are unforgettable and then some.Lee also includes nods to other films about the Vietnam experience and his love for films shines through.

PROBLEMS: Some predictable paths.The film falls down some clichéd holes.

I'm not sure if any film awards will be given out this year but Da 5 Bloods definitely deserves some.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Artemis Fowl

FOUL PLAY !!

PRAISE: When the trailer for Artemis Fowl was released there was a big backlash and it mainly came from people already noticing major changes from the books
I never read the books but I still wanted to watch the film.....out of curiosity

It established a good foundation especially with the father and son dynamics:Colin Farrell as Artemis Fowl Sr and Ferdia Shaw as Artemis Fowl II,
There is love between the two characters even though Artemis Fowl Sr.
is basically an absentee father for the most part
Then Artemis Fowl Sr is framed and kidnapped and Artemis Fowl Jr finds out all the fantastical worlds his father told him about are real and Sr has secretly been training him wax on wax off style...like in Karate Kid
Some of the SFX are cool,and the action sequences are ok and thats mainly what held my interest

PROBLEMS: To predictable and jumbled
Some of it makes no sense. Why are characters shocked by things they were prepared for and wanted to happen?
I actually rewinded the movie to see if I missed something. Characters see all this crazy and fantastic stuff but act as if they just saw a pigeon flying around.
Then things are explained and the characters forget the explanation 2 minutes later.
Then it just ends

Another movie wanting a sequel that likely won't happen.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4
I watched Da 5 Bloods Saturday. It was just o.k. Using the old men to portray themselves back when they were in Vietnam as old men was disingenuous. I didnt like it.

Also, I felt the history lessons interfered with the film's flow. I am glad Delroy got shot. He killed his role in that movie, because I really didnt like him. Lastly, seeing men in their 70's get into, and win, gun fights with younger men was too unrealistic.

Overall I'd only give this movie 6 out of 10.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Artemis Fowl

FOUL PLAY !!

PRAISE: When the trailer for Artemis Fowl was released there was a big backlash and it mainly came from people already noticing major changes from the books
I never read the books but I still wanted to watch the film.....out of curiosity

It established a good foundation especially with the father and son dynamics:Colin Farrell as Artemis Fowl Sr and Ferdia Shaw as Artemis Fowl II,
There is love between the two characters even though Artemis Fowl Sr.
is basically an absentee father for the most part
Then Artemis Fowl Sr is framed and kidnapped and Artemis Fowl Jr finds out all the fantastical worlds his father told him about are real and Sr has secretly been training him wax on wax off style...like in Karate Kid
Some of the SFX are cool,and the action sequences are ok and thats mainly what held my interest

PROBLEMS: To predictable and jumbled
Some of it makes no sense. Why are characters shocked by things they were prepared for and wanted to happen?
I actually rewinded the movie to see if I missed something. Characters see all this crazy and fantastic stuff but act as if they just saw a pigeon flying around.
Then things are explained and the characters forget the explanation 2 minutes later.
Then it just ends

Another movie wanting a sequel that likely won't happen.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Black A. Camus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I watched the King of Staten Island last night. (Warning my review contains some spoilers)

It was o.k. It seems that Pete Davidson is Hollywood's new lovable loser, because they cast in him in that role a lot--e.g. Hulu's Big Time Adolescence.

There were some really, really, funny parts in this movie. Bill Burr (one of my favorite comedians) is in it, and there's some hilarious dialogue. The funniest thing I've seen so far this year was the argument Bill Burr and Pete Davidson got into after Pete gave Bill's 8 year old son a tattoo. Bill was calling Pete a moron for tattooing an 8 year old, but Pete tried to turn the argument around, and shift the blame back to Bill, by asking Bill "where were you" when he was giving an 8 year old a tattoo. I'm still laughing about that.

But overall this movie is not a comedy. Pete suffers depression over the death of his dad. His life is pretty fucked up. Moreover, after the tatoo incident, Bill ends up dating Pete's mom. In the end of the movie Pete starts to get his life together. But there were plenty of depressing moments up till then.

Overall, it wasn't a bad movie. It definitely isn't worth paying $20 to see (hmu if you want to know where to watch it for free at). But it's something to watch if you don't have shit better to do.

I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I watched the King of Staten Island last night.
Bill Burr (one of my favorite comedians) is in it, and there's some hilarious dialogue.

Thanks for the review. Have you listened to Burr's Monday Morning Podcast? Pretty funny format. I haven't listened since late last year or so, but his rants were pretty funny. Talking life, sports, pop culture, politics, etc. Deliberately making fun of the advertising reads and so on.

Black A. Camus

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the review. Have you listened to Burr's Monday Morning Podcast? Pretty funny format. I haven't listened since late last year or so, but his rants were pretty funny. Talking life, sports, pop culture, politics, etc. Deliberately making fun of the advertising reads and so on.

No I've only really watched his stand up. But I might give his podcast a try

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The King of Staten Island

More like Court Jester

PRAISE: If you are not a fan of Pete Davidson this movie is not for you.
I'm definitely not an ultra fan but I have enjoyed his stand up and rants on Saturday Night Live
This is Davidson full throttle, his brand of humor,personality and mannerisms
His character is semi ambitious slacker, still coping with the loss of his firefighter father, his mom dating a firefighter and an on an off relationship with Kelsey (Bel Powley)(Very good)
The cast including:Marisa Tomei,Bill Burr,Bel Powley,Maude Apatow,Steve Buscemi turn in good performances
I loved the honesty of the character, the humor was laugh out loud 80% of the time
Some of the dramatic moments really ring true and if you have ever lived in the Tri State area like me you will definitely get a few more laughs out of the film.

PROBLEMS: 20 minutes definitely could have been shaved off the film
Some of the jokes fall flat.
There is something so incredibly gripping that happens at the beginning of the film and is never talked about or addressed again, i said wait ! What?
I guess a character slightly talking about it in a sentence was suppose to wash it away.....no didn't satisfy me ! !

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

im704

Seven
OG Investor
A question for everyone: Will you go to a movie theatre when they possibly open on july 1st?
I feel theatres can try to reopen and make some money but either simultaneously or a week later
release the same movies Ondemand and other platforms

Yeah, I'm going!!! Can't wait. Been Feen'in for the Big Screen Cinema! That popcorn Too!! I'll be right there!
I been out here in the streets errday already. Gotta see how they gonna reinstate the A'List and Popcorn Bucket at AMC.

I'm not big on the OnDemand joints... got a decent setup at the crib... but I'm more for the Theater... it's the whole experience for me..... the people, popcorn, etc..

They can make the whole visit "Contactless" for the employees/customers. Space out seating a little and we good.
If people don't come in sick.. errbody good. It's the Asymptomatic folk that's the issue. Just mask up.. Till that popcorn come!! But Gyms are open.. and if they not spreading germs and causing outbreaks.... then the Movies... is SAFE!!
One more thing they could do, besides make sure the air conditioning is working is either spray the theater after each showing or open the exit doors to let the air circulate.... get rid of the stagnate air.

Last edited:

swoop1

Circle the wagons.
BGOL Investor
I watched a documentary on Comedians called “Dying Laughing.” It had Chris Rock, Jamie Foxx, Kevin Hart, Jerry Lewis, Tommy Davidson, Cedric the Entertainer. A bunch of them. A comedian whose name I don’t think they listed, told a story about a time he was heckled by a fan for stealing Joe Rogan’s joke.

It turns out the comedian knew Joe Rogan. So he called his cell on stage and put it on speaker. He asked Rogan if he ever told a joke about a domestic dispute he had with his girlfriend. Rogan said something to the affect of, “Im Joe Rogan, nobody kicks my ass.” He told the heckler if she was wrong she had to let the toothless dude in the front row motorboat her.

Of course, she was wrong, so she didn’t deliver on her promise and continued to heckle him. Then another female audience member jumps up and says, ”I thought he was funny,” and socks the shit outta her. He had more time to fill, but said, I can’t top that, “goodnight.” You have to hear him tell it, hilarious. Chris Rock imo, is brilliant, thinks on another level. It’s a good watch.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
I watched a documentary on Comedians called “Dying Laughing.” It had Chris Rock, Jamie Foxx, Kevin Hart, Jerry Lewis, Tommy Davidson, Cedric the Entertainer. A bunch of them. A comedian whose name I don’t think they listed, told a story about a time he was heckled by a fan for stealing Joe Rogan’s joke.

It turns out the comedian knew Joe Rogan. So he called his cell on stage and put it on speaker. He asked Rogan if he ever told a joke about a domestic dispute he had with his girlfriend. Rogan said something to the affect of, “Im Joe Rogan, nobody kicks my ass.” He told the heckler if she was wrong she had to let the toothless dude in the front row motorboat her.

Of course, she was wrong, so she didn’t deliver on her promise and continued to heckle him. Then another female audience member jumps up and says, ”I thought he was funny,” and socks the shit outta her. He had more time to fill, but said, I can’t top that, “goodnight.” You have to hear him tell it, hilarious. Chris Rock imo, is brilliant, thinks on another level. It’s a good watch.
WHERE did you watch/find this flick? I want to see this myself. :lol:

swoop1

Circle the wagons.
BGOL Investor
Cedric recalled a time he got called (you know what) and had to finish his set anyway. The promoter/manager or whatever said, I heard what he called you but the show can’t stop. Say something back or something. Tiffany Haddish talks about how she handles hecklers.

And one of the things that stood out was how comedians talk about what life is like on the road. Most of them absolutely hate it, and I understand why if you hear them talk about it. And then after staying at some foreign place where you don’t like the conditions, you still have to go out on stage that night and be funny. Then you go back to your hotel, and get dinner out of a vending machine.

Im not feelin how people say Kevin Hart was a sellout.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Cedric recalled a time he got called (you know what) and had to finish his set anyway. The promoter/manager or whatever said, I heard what he called you but the show can’t stop. Say something back or something. Tiffany Haddish talks about how she handles hecklers.

And one of the things that stood out was how comedians talk about what life is like on the road. Most of them absolutely hate it, and I understand why if you hear them talk about it. And then after staying at some foreign place where you don’t like the conditions, you still have to go out on stage that night and be funny. Then you go back to your hotel, and get dinner out of a vending machine.

Im not feelin how people say Kevin Hart was a sellout.
I found it on Amazon Prime for $4.99 to rent. :)

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw this one the other day on Tubi. Had heard it recommended on a TV/movie podcast. Looks like it performed well at global box office at the time. $5 million budget and it returned just under 59 million. Props to Joel Edgerton - he wrote, directed, co-produced & co-starred in it. Thought it would have worked better were it darker and more malicious ... but it has some good tense moments here and there.

As with most movies though, you don't get to elaborate or fully flesh out character development given the shorter running time. Especially in a world now of so much quality TV ... and so many great stories being told over the course of 6 - 13 episodes per season. Compared to the watered-down formulaic sitcoms and weekly dramas of the past (which ran too long at 20 - 24 episodes). I wouldn't have minded watching a movie like this play out over the course of 10 episodes (like an Ozark, for example).

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The Gift is a 2015 American-Australian psychological horror thriller film written, co-produced, and directed by Joel Edgerton in his feature directorial debut, and co-produced by Jason Blum and Rebecca Yeldham. The film stars Jason Bateman and Rebecca Hall as a couple intimidated by a figure from Simon's past played by Edgerton.

It was released in the United States on August 7, 2015, as the first film released by STX Entertainment. The film grossed $58.9 million worldwide on a budget of $5 million and received positive reviews from critics, who praised Edgerton's direction and screenplay, as well as Bateman's performance.

On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 92%, based on 190 reviews, with an average rating of 7.45/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "The Gift is wickedly smart and playfully subversive, challenging the audience's expectations while leaving them leaning on the edges of their seats."[29] Metacritic gives the film a score of 77 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[30] On CinemaScore, audiences gave the film an average grade of "B" on an A+ to F scale.[31]

Time Out's Daisy Bowie-Sell praised The Gift as "darkly unnerving", commending its ending and comparing it positively to a similar film, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle.[32] In a review for Indiewire, Katie Walsh lamented the film's use of common thriller cliches and restraint towards the climax, but lauded Joel Edgerton's direction, concluding: "His deft, controlled maneuvering of plot, character, style, and tone is damn near perfect for his feature debut—even if it is in service of a very standard genre piece."[33]

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Artemis Fowl

Listening to the Slash Film Daily podcast at the moment, and one of the co-hosts wasn't feeling it either. Here's her review she mentioned -

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
:eek2::eek::oops: Daaaaamn! This looks good. :yes:

Tenet is an upcoming spy film written and directed by Christopher Nolan. It stars John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine, and Kenneth Branagh.

Casting began in March 2019, and principal photography took place in Denmark, Estonia, India, Italy, Norway, the United Kingdom, and the United States, starting in May 2019. Cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema shot on 70 mm and IMAX.

Tenet is scheduled to be released by Warner Bros. Pictures on July 31, 2020 in IMAX, 35 mm, and 70 mm.