MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yes i think Rosie was bra less in her white t shirt for one scene Harley must have noticed her yabos because she was like put this shit on !!!

Birds of Prey

Send in the clow.......Harley?!?

PRAISE:Anyone that has watched Suicide Squad like myself knows that Margot Robbie was born to play and is perfect Harley Quinn in this movie too.
I found something to love (with the exception of one) about the other actresses and female characters that are part of the movie including:Renee Montoya (Rosie Perez), The Huntress” (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), and the Black Canary (Jurnee Smollett-Bell)
They all turn in spirited performances.
Ewan McGregor as Roman Sionis/Black Mask and Chris Messina as Victor Zsasz at the first half of the film bring the right amounts of sadistic,flamboyant and over the top ingredients to the crazy cooking pot this film is !!
I loved the animation,music,visuals and crazy action sequences.

PROBLEMS:Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain was almost as obnoxious as the Julian Dennison was in Deadpool 2. McGregor and Messina seemed to run out of steam and flair as the film entered it's second hour.
Plot holes and gaffes are sprinkled throughout the film.
The writers put limitations on the characters and on the partially been there done that plot.
The end of the climax of the movie was lackluster and then some.
This was fun but it really felt like the film was missing something.
I wouldnt see this in the theatre again,but when it pops up on cable i would watch it for certain scenes.

Scale of 1-10 a 7

Black and Privileged Netflix Movie Review

UHMMM Did Tyler Perry consult or ghost write this?!?

PRAISE:I liked and appreciated the movies message about community,Gentrification and Its Consequences
I liked the breaking of the fourth wall as the characters talked about the history of the displacement of people of color in many in different communities throughout the years.
I appreciated the beautiful actresses :Cynda Williams ( nice to see you again !!)Dawn Halfkenny, Rosalina Mota, Seasonne Rose and Sarah Cigan.

PROBLEMS:Where do i begin? The acting is about 85% terrible.The plot made no sense once the film reaches its second half.You have characters that are hypocrites,talk out of both sides of their mouths and contradict every action they take and every word spoken.
How can someone be so timid and frightened over the smallest thing and end up killing as if they have been murdering people for years?!? It's as if the film slowly but surely tore down anything uplifting they were trying to say.
Oh and that crappy ending i mean what....why?

Scale of 1-10 a 3

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Netlfix Dance Flick

This movie is trash. I tried years ago, to watch this but couldn't do it. So I see that it is on Netflix last night. And I only chuckled 1 time. Every thing else was garbage. If anyone else is thinking or hasn't seen it. Use better judgement then I did. DO WATCH THIS SHIT.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sonic the Hedgehog

Are video game movies finally stepping...actually RUNNING in the right direction?

PRAISE: First off mega praise to everyone behind the CGI and SFX in the movie,not only because they were able to change the character design of Sonic from the first trailer that millions hated to something far more likeable but the CGI and SFX that are nearly flawless in the movie.
Ben Schwartz turns in enthusiastic voice work as Sonic in the film in which Sonic enters our world after a very dramatic departure from his world.
Like my son pointed out there is a nice familial dynamic between Sonic and small town policeman Tom Wachowski (James Marsden i think he can do roles like this in his sleep by now) and his wife, Maddie (Tika Sumpter).
Last but not least Jim Carrey as Dr. Ivo Robotnik who is let loose to bring all of his crazy mannerisms and antics to the table to infuse them into the character.
There is enough here for extreme and casual fans of the speeding hedgehog.

PROBLEMS:There were a couple of things i couldnt fully get on board with.There are some corny and dull moments and when this film stalls i felt every minute and second.
Oh boy and that blatant product placement !!

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Sonic the Hedgehog

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Thanks for the review. We enjoyed the Sega Genesis console. Had one as kids back in 1992. Mom asked us what we wanted for Christmas. Combined gift. We said a Genesis, as we weighed our options and realized friends were getting the Super Nintendo console and similar/same games. We figured we'd switch it up and get a different console. Then trade consoles later on when people got tired of the same games. Worked out well!

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fantasy Island - "The plane, the plane"
"Fulfilling more fantasies than that n* Mr Roarke", kept popping in my head when he was on the screen.

Starting out this is a normal Blumhouse production. A lil bit of talking then hit you with the action, but not quality action or action that you truly care about. I hate to call a movie a mess but the writer must of been inside of Harley Quinns head. This movie is everywhere and after 30 min you are wondering why you are still watching it, cause it has to get better right, no. The ending and the wrap up will make since, right, no.

Best to stay away and watch when its on USA. I wouldn't even waste the bandwidth in the trap.

To the studio it was a success, made for 7Mil and made 21Mil first week already up 14Mil. And its set up for a part 2.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Fantasy Island -

Starting out this is a normal Blumhouse production. A lil bit of talking then hit you with the action, but not quality action or action that you truly care about. I hate to call a movie a mess but the writer must of been inside of Harley Quinns head. This movie is everywhere and after 30 min you are wondering why you are still watching it, cause it has to get better right, no. The ending and the wrap up will make since, right, no.

Thanks for the review. Yeah - I caught the trailer in passing on TV a few times, and it seemed rushed. Like you said too - made on a limited budget.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Invisible Man
I had no thoughts on watching this but the wife wanted to so A-list no prob. I have to admit this was actually a pretty good movie. It really shows how someone is being abused and no one believes what she says until its too late. Cause he has money and is such a nice guy.

The movie is drawn out a bit but that was to increase the creepiness. Moss played a good role, she has that same I'm lost, confused and petrified look throughout the whole picture.

Aldis Hodge had pretty good screen time he has come a long way from the show Leverage. Hopefully he starts getting more major roles.

I just saw the trailer wow they showed a lot. And a few scenes in the trailer were not in the movie. Honestly they really messed up on what they could of did with this movie. Make the trailer and first half of the movie look more like an evil supernatural spirit messing with her head. Not call it the Invisible Man but something to throw you off with lil clues here and there that maybe its possible to become invisible. Never show Adrian at the beginning, in the trailer or what his job is. Just mention him and everyone will start to think she is a psychopath. Then finally introduce him later on in this one shower scene, it would of been more trippy.

Did I mention its 2hrs and 4 min, plus 20min of previews. Space out your drinks and food.

The house, damn that was a nice ass set up. Too many windows but a huge wall surrounding your property.

Go enjoy you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Invisible Man

Trailers weren't good to me, so I was shocked to see it get good reviews.

I thought it was going to be bad and a typical January/February movie like The Boy, Gretal and Hansel and Fantasy Island.

It was entertaining though. You can't think about it too much, because some of the actions and decisions from the people didn't make much sense. The first and second acts were better than the third. The third it got sort of out there.

Like @D@mnphins said the house was impressive.

I hadn't been to the movies in a while, over the next couple of weeks better quality movies should start coming out.

Last edited:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THE INVISIBLE MAN

One of my crazy ex's has turned invisible...what bridge should i jump from?

PRAISE: Director and writer Leigh Whannell does his best to bring something fresh to an extremely well known character,in this story of Cecilia Kass (Elisabeth Moss) fleeing from her abusive and manipulative ex Adrian Griffin (Oliver Jackson-Cohen in a role that Johnny Depp was supposed to play). When he suddenly dies there are clues that he has somehow returned and is now invisible.
Moss is terrific as Cecilia ,she fills the screen with as much raw emotion she can muster,further proving she is one of the best actresses around. The rest of the cast does a fine job which includes:Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid, Harriet Dyer, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, and Michael Dorman.But this is Moss's and Director Whanneell's show all the way.He frames a scene with so much tension,anticipation and suspense it pushed me to the edge of my seat.He couples it with a thunderous and pounding score by Benjamin Wallfisch which made the film even more unnerving.
There are shades of other films within this film like Hollowman and a MeToo Lifetime movie but i didnt mind because it actually builds on all of the aforementioned.

PROBLEMS:There are a couple of plot holes and predictable moments.There is a routine and basic feel to some of the things that play out in the last 30 minutes

It will be interesting to see what Universal does with the rest of the monsters in their library.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THE INVISIBLE MAN

One of my crazy ex's has turned invisible...what bridge should i jump from?

PRAISE: Director and writer Leigh Whannell does his best to bring something fresh to an extremely well known character,in this story of Cecilia Kass (Elisabeth Moss) fleeing from her abusive and manipulative ex Adrian Griffin (Oliver Jackson-Cohen in a role that Johnny Depp was supposed to play). When he suddenly dies there are clues that he has somehow returned and is now invisible.
Moss is terrific as Cecilia ,she fills the screen with as much raw emotion she can muster,further proving she is one of the best actresses around. The rest of the cast does a fine job which includes:Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid, Harriet Dyer, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, and Michael Dorman.But this is Moss's and Director Whanneell's show all the way.He frames a scene with so much tension,anticipation and suspense it pushed me to the edge of my seat.He couples it with a thunderous and pounding score by Benjamin Wallfisch which made the film even more unnerving.
There are shades of other films within this film like Hollowman and a MeToo Lifetime movie but i didnt mind because it actually builds on all of the aforementioned.

PROBLEMS:There are a couple of plot holes and predictable moments.There is a routine and basic feel to some of the things that play out in the last 30 minutes

It will be interesting to see what Universal does with the rest of the monsters in their library.

Scale of 1-10 an 8½
So I was reading and I caught it also.
In the beginning when she goes to the lab, you hear a rustling sound, then in the garage you hear it also, even the dog kinda whimpers, and when she stops in the woods you hear it a few more times. That he was in the suit there watching her one step in front of her just like the brother said. I was trying to figure out how he knew where she was so fast. I told the wife he was right there and she said no way.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
The Way Back

It's about a lot more than basketball, but even though basketball wasn't the central story the filming of it and game play were still well done. So it wasn't like some movies where the basketball was an after thought and wasn't done well. There was one Hollywood type of storyline with the player that they could have left out and wasn't needed.

Deep movie that you think could be based on a true story. Very relatable for Ben with the issues he's apparently had.

I like that it was Rated R, it made it more realistic.

and I liked that it didn't end all happy like the typical sports movie. It ended as an ongoing story.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The Way Back

It's about a lot more than basketball, but even though basketball wasn't the central story the filming of it and game play were still well done. So it wasn't like some movies where the basketball was an after thought and wasn't done well. There was one Hollywood type of storyline with the player that they could have left out and wasn't needed.

Deep movie that you think could be based on a true story. Very relatable for Ben with the issues he's apparently had.

I like that it was Rated R, it made it more realistic.

and I liked that it didn't end all happy like the typical sports movie. It ended as an ongoing story.

Thanks for the review. I was reading a Vancouver Sun review the other day, and they rated it highly too - 4 out of 5.

The co-hosts of The Big Picture podcast (on The Ringer network) did an episode on Affleck's career recently, and they were saying it was good to see him being open with his struggles. I.E. - alcoholism, failed marriage, and more ... in interviews / press tour, etc.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

As his new drama, The Way Back, nears release, Ben Affleck is back in the spotlight and opening up about his struggles with substance misuse. It’s the latest in a career that has collided the personal with the artistic in a way few writer-director-actors can claim. Sean and Amanda talk through Affleck’s series of comebacks, his utterly unique brand of stardom, and the last decade of self-reflexive roles in movies both mega-successful and widely reviled (1:08). Then, Bill Simmons swings by to pick some nits in the weekend’s box office champ, The Invisible Man (48:51).

Subscribe: Spotify / Apple Podcasts / Art19 / Stitcher / RSS

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Blood Shot

I didn't really pay attention to the trailer but it looked interesting. It shows too much of the plot, and also showed some of the cooler scenes.

It's ok. I saw the budget was only $45, and you could tell in comparison to a 100 mil movie. It being PG13 didn't help the movie. The action was sort of dull. New Girl dude was annoying.

The story gets predictable and you know how it's going to end fairly early.

The whole movie I'm wondering does he have any special skills? He doesn't try to dodge the bullets.

I think I'll start rating movies as worth seeing at the movies wait for Netflix/HBO or skip because it's garbage

This was a wait for Netflix or HBO. IMO it's more of a straight to Netflix movie.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
^ It'll be interesting to see what type of box office Bloodshot earns during its theatrical run these next few weeks given the current climate / global virus concerns ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
The Hunt

Doing my part since I'm not sure how much longer the movies will be open, and even if they're open, are we going to get certain new movies. Tonight it was rather noticeable that there weren't many people at the theater, much less working there.

On to the film itself. This was enjoyable. It starts from the very beginning and gets you interested.

It was Purge like.

It had a political angle, but it went at both of them. If republicans are pleased about this, they're as dumb what they mock in this movie.

It's not must see, but I don't think people would regret seeing it at the movies. You forget about things for an hour and a half.

Bad Andy

No time for a 304
Registered

I knew it was "available", but I wanted to see it at the movies to see what the fuss was about.

First, If you don't like subtitles, stay away.

Movie was dope. I see why it's getting praised. I loved how original it was. It wasn't the typical recycled American movie.

Easily one of my top ten for the year.

Thanks for this one, I checked it out last night with my girl we didn’t fall asleep on it 5 stars.

This was a good one especially with the Corona Virus we are dealing with. It details how the virus comes to the US via China.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Universal On Demand. Guess I will check Kodi or the basement on Friday for the Hunt

NEW YORK -- The coronavirus pandemic has cracked Hollywood's traditional theatrical window. With theaters increasingly shuttering nationwide, Universal Pictures on Monday said it will make its current and upcoming films available for on-demand rental, becoming the first major studio to turn directly to home viewing in light of the virus.

The studio said it will put movies currently in theaters — “Invisible Man,” “The Hunt,” “Emma” — up for rental on-demand beginning as early as Friday. It also said that “Trolls World Tour," one of the only major releases left on the April film release calendar, will open “day-and-date,” debuting in theaters and on-demand services simultaneously. A 48-hour rental will cost $19.99.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Anyone else got any good movies they’ve watched lately. I’m tired of watching the news.

I’m currently watching this on Amazon Prime

Haven't caught as many movies of late, but have been keeping up with series like Survivor, Briarpatch, and Better Call Saul. Looking forward to Ozark's return later this month. Looks like Fargo later in April has been postponed / delayed due to production issues many companies are facing due to the pandemic.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Regal has shut things down. I figured it was going to happen, especially with no major movies scheduled.

Let's see if AMC is next.

Over here in Canada ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend