MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

IMO it was more of a love story. What you see in the trailer wasn't necessarily the movie.

I liked parts of it. The ending was trying to do too much. The music was done nicely.

Bookem was the stand out. I know what they try to do by including humor to not have it so dark, but damn. I felt guilty laughing at Bookem. This was easily probably his best role.

The leads had good chemistry, but IMO you could tell Daniel K was the more experienced actor.

But one scene, the intertwined one...should have been scrapped, it didn't fit at all. Then they never even expanded on it.

but this is a good example of what was wrong with Black and Blue. If you look at the way they showed us in this, it was artistic and beautiful. Black and blue all of us looked dark, poor and like criminals. The black people in the background looked more menacing than Luke Cage's wack ass.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Bookem was the stand out. I know what they try to do by including humor to not have it so dark, but damn. I felt guilty laughing at Bookem. This was easily probably his best role.

Complex - have you had a chance to see the Fargo series in recent years (on FX)? Bokeem was excellent on the 2nd season as "Mike Milligan" - another great role for him. Zahn M' was great as "Hanzee Dent" too ...

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Complex - have you had a chance to see the Fargo series in recent years (on FX)? Bokeem was excellent on the 2nd season as "Mike Milligan" - another great role for him. Zahn M' was great as "Hanzee Dent" too ...

Yeah, I watch Fargo.

His role in this is better than that.

I listened to him on a podcast a year or two ago and he's not a trained actor. He showed good comedic chops in this, and not everyone has it.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Yeah, I watch Fargo.

His role in this is better than that.

I listened to him on a podcast a year or two ago and he's not a trained actor. He showed good comedic chops in this, and not everyone has it.

Wow. Yeah - he's a great talent. Really enjoy his work & assorted roles.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

I knew it was "available", but I wanted to see it at the movies to see what the fuss was about.

First, If you don't like subtitles, stay away.

Movie was dope. I see why it's getting praised. I loved how original it was. It wasn't the typical recycled American movie.

Easily one of my top ten for the year.

Finally caught up on it

Justified all the hype

Very very good movie

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
THE IRISHMAN

Do i entertain you?......YES !!

PRAISE:Martin Scorsese,Robert De Niro ,Al Pacino and Joe Pesci....i knew this quartet of talent wouldnt dissapoint me in this story of Frank Sheeran (De Niro), a truck driver who becomes a hitman and gets involved with mobster Russell Bufalino (Pesci) and his crime family, including his time working for the powerful Teamster Jimmy Hoffa (Pacino).
It's the way Scorsese decides to tell this story with screenwriter Steven Zaillian that kept me engaged along with the aforementioned actors who all bring their A game.
Through narration,visuals and the natural charisma of the cast that gives the film that voice that says to me settle in for this tale,this piece of history.
Sometimes darkly humorous and violent but also poignant,sad and remorseful.The film has that great balance of the aforementioned. I loved how the film displayed the struggle of loyalty intertwined with friendships that become strained due to strong willed men unwilling to compromise.
There is something about the presence of the characters and the old school way of the mob of the 50's to the 70's that gives the film that extra aura of intimidation. I have to mention the rest of the cast who had brief but memorable moments including : Anna Paquin, Jesse Plemons, Stephen Graham, Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, and Harvey Keitel.
This is one of those films that even with it's run time 3 hours and 30 minutes i was never bored and i kind of wish it was a series instead of a film because i want to see such an entertaining story play out on a weekly basis.

PROBLEMS:I was a little thrown off by the CGI/SFX deaging at times.

One of the best movies of 2019

Scale of 1-10 a 9

Knives Out

More like ...zone out

PRAISE: Director/writer Rian Johnson's love for and i mean LOVE for writer Agatha Christie and her character private detective Hercule Poirot is definitely clear in the movie Knives Out.Probably really loved the 1994 movie GREEDY too.
He has assembled and enthusiastic cast including : Daniel Craig, Katherine Langford, Christopher Plummer, Lakeith Stanfield, Toni Collette, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ana de Armas, Chris Evans, Frank Oz
Plummer,Johnson,Evans and Armas are the standouts in this story of a murdered rich novelist and family patriarch Harlan Thrombey (Plummer) Everyone slyly finger points who had the most motive and there's some nice and salty dialogue and fun intertwined with some quirky moments.BUT........

PROBLEMS: I was never fully engaged .In fact as the film entered its second hour i started checking my watch and was wondering if i should go to Chipotle or Arby's afterwards.
I easily figured out who was misleading and misdirecting.I actually got excited when i thought the plot was going to go down a different route but no...just more predictable misdirection.
Some characters are completely underused.
if you really really love CLUE or other mysteries like it this is the movie for you and you will probably love every second for me it was a lukewarm experience

Scale of 1-10 a 5

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The Fanatic

I............WHAT IN THE WORLD ....WHY?

PRAISE:An autistic and then some guy named Moose is obssesed with action/horror movie star Hunter Dunbar and will do anything he can to get close to him.
I give John Travolta some credit for fully commiting to the role and providing unintentional laughs.

PROBLEMS: It's laughable how some characters expected the child like Moose to behave himself socially.
I dont know where they found the "actors' for this because they are all equally horrible.
Every scene is laughable with GIGANTIC plot holes.Im telling you the plot holes in this stinker will blow your mind.
This is the blueprint....handbook on how to make a horrible movie.
Shame on " director' Fred Durst for self promoting himself in the movie.This is a movie in which characters have no common sense ,cops and security barely and i mean barely exist !!

I want people to see this because i want them to be as aggravated,amused and pissed off as i was watching this
ONE OF THE WORST MOVIES OF 2019

Scale of 1-10 a 1

Checked it out yesterday after having remembered you mentioned it being laughably bad, and it was just that.

Damn.

How much money did Fred Durst (writer/director/whatever) from Limp Bizkit get to work with in making this project?

Travolta ... I give him credit for not laughing at himself and fully committing to his role.

It was interesting to see Devon Sawa in another project. He played "Stan" in the Eminem music video back in the day. I knew him growing up. He lived in the neighborhood and was involved in some smaller projects before getting some more mainstream shine with the Casper movie, etc. Played sports with him back in the grade school days, and his younger bro' attended some of the same track meets our rival schools ran in.

Lol @ the shameless self-promotion you mentioned ... them playing Limp Bizit in the car, haha.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
THE IRISHMAN

Do i entertain you?......YES !!

PRAISE:Martin Scorsese,Robert De Niro ,Al Pacino and Joe Pesci....i knew this quartet of talent wouldnt dissapoint me in this story of Frank Sheeran (De Niro), a truck driver who becomes a hitman and gets involved with mobster Russell Bufalino (Pesci) and his crime family, including his time working for the powerful Teamster Jimmy Hoffa (Pacino).
It's the way Scorsese decides to tell this story with screenwriter Steven Zaillian that kept me engaged along with the aforementioned actors who all bring their A game.
Through narration,visuals and the natural charisma of the cast that gives the film that voice that says to me settle in for this tale,this piece of history.
Sometimes darkly humorous and violent but also poignant,sad and remorseful.The film has that great balance of the aforementioned. I loved how the film displayed the struggle of loyalty intertwined with friendships that become strained due to strong willed men unwilling to compromise.
There is something about the presence of the characters and the old school way of the mob of the 50's to the 70's that gives the film that extra aura of intimidation. I have to mention the rest of the cast who had brief but memorable moments including : Anna Paquin, Jesse Plemons, Stephen Graham, Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale, and Harvey Keitel.
This is one of those films that even with it's run time 3 hours and 30 minutes i was never bored and i kind of wish it was a series instead of a film because i want to see such an entertaining story play out on a weekly basis.

PROBLEMS:I was a little thrown off by the CGI/SFX deaging at times.

One of the best movies of 2019

Scale of 1-10 a 9

Knives Out

More like ...zone out

PRAISE: Director/writer Rian Johnson's love for and i mean LOVE for writer Agatha Christie and her character private detective Hercule Poirot is definitely clear in the movie Knives Out.Probably really loved the 1994 movie GREEDY too.
He has assembled and enthusiastic cast including : Daniel Craig, Katherine Langford, Christopher Plummer, Lakeith Stanfield, Toni Collette, Don Johnson, Michael Shannon, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ana de Armas, Chris Evans, Frank Oz
Plummer,Johnson,Evans and Armas are the standouts in this story of a murdered rich novelist and family patriarch Harlan Thrombey (Plummer) Everyone slyly finger points who had the most motive and there's some nice and salty dialogue and fun intertwined with some quirky moments.BUT........

PROBLEMS: I was never fully engaged .In fact as the film entered its second hour i started checking my watch and was wondering if i should go to Chipotle or Arby's afterwards.
I easily figured out who was misleading and misdirecting.I actually got excited when i thought the plot was going to go down a different route but no...just more predictable misdirection.
if you really really love CLUE or other mysteries like it this is the movie for you and you will probably love every second for me it was a lukewarm experience

Scale of 1-10 a 5

Thanks for the Irishman and Knives Out reviews, JBlaze.

My aunt and uncle saw Knives Out on Sunday, and pops and his gf watched Irishman over 2 nights on Sun/Mon.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Knives Out

More like ...zone out

Scale of 1-10 a 5

I've heard nothing but good things about it. I was going to see it, but it was pretty packed in the smaller theaters. And nothing but Dark Waters comes out this weekend.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Fantasy Island
I saw the previews for this today, rolled my eyes at the screen, another remake. Second later I saw the Blumhouse intro and changed my tone. Knew it wouldnt be your typical romantic drama. I will be watching when it comes out.

This looks good

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Checked it out yesterday after having remembered you mentioned it being laughably bad, and it was just that.

Damn.

How much money did Fred Durst (writer/director/whatever) from Limp Bizkit get to work with in making this project?

Travolta ... I give him credit for not laughing at himself and fully committing to his role.

It was interesting to see Devon Sawa in another project. He played "Stan" in the Eminem music video back in the day. I knew him growing up. He lived in the neighborhood and was involved in some smaller projects before getting some more mainstream shine with the Casper movie, etc. Played sports with him back in the grade school days, and his younger bro' attended some of the same track meets our rival schools ran in.

Lol @ the shameless self-promotion you mentioned ... them playing Limp Bizit in the car, haha.

ha ha i told you but im glad you got to experience this insane movie .I guess i have to see Queen and Slim for myself even though someone on Reddit spoiled the ending

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
ha ha i told you but im glad you got to experience this insane movie .I guess i have to see Queen and Slim for myself even though someone on Reddit spoiled the ending

Damn - sorry to hear about the spoiler for Queen and Slim. How pissed off were people on Reddit when that person posted the spoiler?

Yes - The Fanatic was something else. Had it on in the background and was laughing at how loyal to the role Travolta was. Is he really that hard up for a paycheck like Nicolas Cage and others? Damn. C'mon Travolta. You're better than that, aren't you?

:roflmao3:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Knives Out

I liked this a lot. I'm not sure if it's in my top five or ten, but it's one of my favorites and was an enjoyable watch.

I was tired, but this still kept me engaged and stopped me from falling asleep.

Combination of an excellent story, writing and acting.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Waves

I thought this was about swimming from the trailer, because you can tell the son is involved in some sport.

The title is deeper than that.

The soundtrack and visuals were good.

From what I've heard the family wasn't intended to be black, which was cool. It was different and not the typical family movie. It could have been any middle class family. It was dark and pretty heavy.

I had some problems with the third act. It seemed too long and they really didn't build it up to care about the participants. I cared more about Sterling K Brown and his feelings. That was a more interesting story to be told. They hinted about it.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn - sorry to hear about the spoiler for Queen and Slim. How pissed off were people on Reddit when that person posted the spoiler?

Yes - The Fanatic was something else. Had it on in the background and was laughing at how loyal to the role Travolta was. Is he really that hard up for a paycheck like Nicolas Cage and others? Damn. C'mon Travolta. You're better than that, aren't you?

:roflmao3:

Travolta was just on James Gorden gushing about how great the role and movies is...i was like WTF???

YES people on Reddit try to spoil everything a lot of trolls on there

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Marriage Story

Love.......Marriage....Misery

PRAISE: Take all of the greatness of 1979's Kramer vs. Kramer and 2014's Before Midnight and you get Marriage Story.
A loving marriage between Nicole (Scarlett Johansson) and Charlie (Adam Driver) is coming to an end and headed to the land of divorce.
Johansson and Driver are brilliant and incredible turning in performances filled with raw emotion.There are scenes in which the tension is overwhelming between the two.Both will definitely receive multiple film nominations.
Big time praise also to the supporting cast which includes: Laura Dern, Ray Liotta, Alan Alda, Julie Hagerty, and Azhy Robertson.
Director and writer Noah Baumbach really fleshes out the pain of divorce,trying to remain amicable and polite for the sake of the child they share but knowing that a confrontation full of venting that includes resentment over the comprimises that were made and the selfishness that was displayed during the marriage.
Baumbach beautifully shows how they both try make peace and purge over the strain of divorce.
Hate has not seeped in but great love for each other has evolved into care and respect.
If you ever been in a long term relationship or marriage that ended this film will speak to you on so many levels.

PROBLEMS: I was going to complain about 2 scenes in the movie but after reflecting on it for a day i have to say yeah things like that happen at the end of a marriage

Scale of 1-10 a 10+

Netflix has another hit on it's hands.One of the best movies of 2019

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Marriage Story

PRAISE: Take all of the greatness of 1979's Kramer vs. Kramer and 2014's Before Midnight and you get Marriage Story.
A loving marriage between Nicole (Scarlett Johansson) and Charlie (Adam Driver) is coming to an end and headed to the land of divorce.
Johansson and Driver are brilliant and incredible turning in performances filled with raw emotion.There are scenes in which the tension is overwhelming between the two.Both will definitely receive multiple film nominations.
Big time praise also to the supporting cast which includes: Laura Dern, Ray Liotta, Alan Alda, Julie Hagerty, and Azhy Robertson.
Director and writer Noah Baumbach really fleshes out the pain of divorce,trying to remain amicable and polite for the sake of the child they share but knowing that a confrontation full of venting that includes resentment over the comprimises that were made and the selfishness that was displayed during the marriage.
Baumbach beautifully shows how they both try make peace and purge over the strain of divorce.
Hate has not seeped in but great love for each other has evolved into care and respect.
If you ever been in a long term relationship or marriage that ended this film will speak to you on so many levels.

PROBLEMS: I was going to complain about 2 scenes in the movie but after reflecting on it for a day i have to say yeah things like that happen at the end of a marriage

Scale of 1-10 a 10+

I may have to check this out, if it wasnt for the kids I would be gone. Misery and unhappiness sounds like my life, til my kids are around.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Dark Waters

I thought this was going to be boring when it first started, but I was wrong.

It's pacing was excellent. Especially how it didn't waste a lot of time and jumped to cover important developments.

Hulk Mark Ruffalo did his thing.

To see how evil these companies are. :smh: I knew nothing about this DuPont case. They didn't give a fuck about the people.

The whole time I was thinking these rednecks are Republican, and some are still supporting the company.

This might be in my top ten :puzzled:

It's a shame that this movie isn't doing better. It's a movie everyone should see.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Marriage Story

Scale of 1-10 a 10+

Agreed. Saw it today - solid performances from the co-leads, and a good supporting cast throughout. For those who check out the movie and like it - go back and check out director Baumbach's mid-2000s movie The Squid and the Whale if you haven't already. You'll probably dig it as well ... strong cast there too -

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Honey Boy

Deep movie, this was obviously therapy for Shai. It was a hard movie to watch like Dark Waters. It's a movie you like, but it's hard to love.

Rarely do I wish a movie was longer. This was one. It sort of just ended. It's only about an hour and a half.

Ford vs Ferrari

When I first saw this trailer I hated it. I was wondering who cares this much about car racing.

The acting carried the movie. It was enjoyable, but I'm good if I never see it again.

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

IMO it was more of a love story. What you see in the trailer wasn't necessarily the movie.

I liked parts of it. The ending was trying to do too much. The music was done nicely.

The leads had good chemistry, but IMO you could tell Daniel K was the more experienced actor.

But one scene, the intertwined one...should have been scrapped, it didn't fit at all. Then they never even expanded on it.

but this is a good example of what was wrong with Black and Blue. If you look at the way they showed us in this, it was artistic and beautiful. Black and blue all of us looked dark, poor and like criminals. The black people in the background looked more menacing than Luke Cage's wack ass.

Bokeem has had better roles, not saying he wasn't good in this movie at all but dude has had better performances imo.. but then again, he's an underrated actor.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Uncut Gems

Mr.Sandler it's Oscar time !!

PRAISE:Howard Ratner is a juggler and gambler to the extreme.He's juggling his 2 seconds away from being over marriage with children with Dinah (Idina Menzel).His extremely sexy but flakey girlfriend Julia (Julia Fox a first time on the big screen sensation),an oily and slithery business associate Demany(Lakeith Stanfield) and a who's who of gangsters ,enforcers and bookies he owes money to.
Sandler is incredible as Ratner.He brings so much weight and fast talking laser focused attitude to the role,you cant take your eyes off of him.
Ratner is one of those characters that even when he sees himself at coming out on top he chooses to dig himself a deeper hole to jump in.
The entire cast including: Kevin Garnett(yes that Kevin Garnett), Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Eric Bogosian,and Judd Hirsch turn in focused and unflinching performances.
Directors Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie build scenes with hyper tension i was pushed to laughter and euphoria at the same time.
I loved how they hammered home how chaotic Ratner's life is.
The film is beautifully shot with a mesmerizing score by Daniel Lopatin.
The Safdies pull out all the stops to place the audience in Ratner's shoes,in a way that was dizzying,suspenseful and laced with andrenaline.

PROBLEMS: A couple of scenes felt kind of forced due to a stiff lifeless performance.

Scale of 1-10 a 9

One of the best films of 2019

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Uncut Gems

Mr.Sandler it's Oscar time !!

PRAISE:Howard Ratner is a juggler and gambler to the extreme.He's juggling his 2 seconds away from being over marriage with children with Dinah (Idina Menzel).His extremely sexy but flakey girlfriend Julia (Julia Fox a first time on the big screen sensation),an oily and slithery business associate Demany(Lakeith Stanfield) and a who's who of gangsters ,enforcers and bookies he owes money to.
Sandler is incredible as Ratner.He brings so much weight and fast talking laser focused attitude to the role,you cant take your eyes off of him.
Ratner is one of those characters that even when he sees himself at coming out on top he chooses to dig himself a deeper hole to jump in.
The entire cast including: Kevin Garnett(yes that Kevin Garnett), Idina Menzel, Lakeith Stanfield, Eric Bogosian,and Judd Hirsch turn in focused and unflinching performances.
Directors Benny Safdie, Josh Safdie build scenes with hyper tension i was pushed to laughter and euphoria at the same time.
I loved how they hammered home how chaotic Ratner's life is.
The film is beautifully shot with a mesmerizing score by Daniel Lopatin.
The Safdies pull out all the stops to place the audience in Ratner's shoes,in a way that was dizzying,suspenseful and laced with andrenaline.

PROBLEMS: A couple of scenes felt kind of forced due to a stiff lifeless performance.

Scale of 1-10 a 9

One of the best films of 2019

Sounds great, JBlaze. Glad to hear the movie delivered. Been hearing lots of early buzz in recent months from the movie / pop culture podcasts saying Uncut Gems is definitely one to watch for.