MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

b-stro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Netflix:
To save his pregnant wife, an emergency room nurse teams up with an injured murder suspect in a race against time, rival criminals and renegade cops.

MV5BYThkZjRmNWYtMWQ5Mi00Y2E4LWEyZjgtYWYxMDhiNTJmNTQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDg4NjY5OTQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

It started out strong, but got a little stretched to the unrealistic vibe.

I didn’t like the cheesy comedic 80s approach they took. The movie had the potential to be good had they taken a darker approach like collateral or running scared 5/10 for me

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Was happy to see Brian Hooks back in action but boi was this shut a let down 4/10

Grew up on Critters and this ain’t it chief... the lead is a pyt wit some nice titties tho 3.5/10

You are brave to watch a new Critters. Hopefully it was background noise and didn't have the popcorn ready.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Crawl

Movie was a lot better than I expected. They put effort in to it, and the director knew what he was doing. It was pretty straight forward and to the point with little fat. It had some pretty intense scenes and others that will catch you off guard.

Stuber

It was ok. Nothing special. Nothing I'd really recommend. It's cool to download or watch on Netflix. The funniest stuff was in the trailer, a lot of the other comedy missed. It turned out to be more of a buddy action cop type flick.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
The Art Of Self Defense

Movies dope. A dark comedy that will get lost on the shuffle of summer movies.

You won't know what the hell is going on or where it's leading with how unpredictable it is. People always complain about what Hollywood produces, but don't support the smaller and indie stuff.

Easily in my top five so far this year.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The Art Of Self Defense

Movies dope. A dark comedy that will get lost on the shuffle of summer movies.

You won't know what the hell is going on or where it's leading with how unpredictable it is. People always complain about what Hollywood produces, but don't support the smaller and indie stuff.

Easily in my top five so far this year.

We take an early survey of the alleged front-runners in the 2020 Oscars—a slim list of movies that are already getting negative buzz—before discussing the live-action remake trend that Disney is employing in its latest effort to dominate the financial landscapes of moviemaking (1:00). Then, Jesse Eisenberg and Riley Stearns join the podcast (previously recorded at SXSW) to discuss their partnership in making The Art of Self-Defense (54:17).

https://www.theringer.com/2019/7/9/...senberg-riley-stearns-the-art-of-self-defense

https://www.theringer.com/the-big-picture

https://soundcloud.com/user-722942906

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thanks JBlaze.

Had a chance to check it out on the big screen Tuesday evening, and enjoyed it too. It was the right environment to see it as the theater was nearly packed, and people were feeling it. A whole variety of ages in there. Enjoyed how the film combined the dramatic, with the comedic & light-hearted, the love story, etc. The beautiful moment you noted in the final 20 mins or so ... agreed. The woman to the left of me was a big fan of The Beatles ... jamming along throughout the movie ... when that happened it appeared as though it took her breath away momentarily. She leaned forward, and was really quiet, and was wiping a tear or two away. That scene definitely hit its mark with her.

Also had a chance to finish off the HBO miniseries Chernobyl last night. Enjoyed that one as well, as have other BGOL fam'.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/7/1/20677045/yesterday-exit-survey-beatles

https://www.theringer.com/2019/6/28...ovies-2019-so-far-yesterday-beatles-nostalgia

https://www.theringer.com/movies/20...yle-richard-curtis-john-lennon-paul-mccartney

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/6/28/18859229/what-is-best-beatles-song-yesterday

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Quentin Tarantino tips his hat to a Hollywood and memorable era gone by

PRAISE :

Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) is an actor who's career has reached a point of uncertainty. His stunt man/best friend Cliff Booth (Brd Pitt)who carries a dark moment with him.
One of the best things about the film is their bond and how they try to navigate through a constantly changing Hollywood.
Diaprio and Pitt prove how they are still two of the best actor's ever.
As Sharon Tate Margot Robbie captures the fun loving ,wide eyed spirit and love of becoming a movie star.
There are great moments from Kurt Russell,Mikey Madison,Luke Perry,Damian Lewis,Al Pacino,Timothy Olyphant,Bruce Dern,Dakota Fanning,Mike Moh and Zoe Bell.
Tarantino's eye and ear for detail is incredible as he includes visuals,ads and music from the late 60's.
Also for the characters themselves he includes watch closely details.
This is his dream of Hollywood,a fantasy that is also a haunting memory to a Hollywood long gone by.He makes sure to include humor and of course his signature craziness.

PROBLEMS:

The film stalls here and there as it meanders on certain sequences far to long.I definitely started to feel the length of the film's 2 hour and 40 minute run time.
Some characters are definitely short changed.Moments with some are far to short.They definitely dont get the time on screen that was promised in ads and trailers.

I would say 60% of this film Tarantino made for himself.It's his honor and tribute to the actor's of the late 60's and i definitely can go along with most of his vision for this film.Not perfect but very very good.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The film stalls here and there as it meanders on certain sequences far to long.I definitely started to feel the length of the film's 2 hour and 40 minute run time.
Some characters are definitely short changed.Moments with some are far to short.They definitely dont get the time on screen that was promised in ads and trailers.

Thanks JBlaze - interesting about the longer running time and still feeling as though some characters & scenes were shorter than they could have been.

How was the crowd response to seeing the late Luke Perry in his scenes?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw that Murder Mystery one with Sandler and Aniston. Had a few funny lines here and there ... had it on the in background while burning some mp3 mixes & transferring flash drive files. Had to multi-task to make it worthwhile.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks JBlaze - interesting about the longer running time and still feeling as though some characters & scenes were shorter than they could have been.

How was the crowd response to seeing the late Luke Perry in his scenes?

there were a couple of oh"s and moans

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
there were a couple of oh"s and moans

Yeah - too young. It'll be interesting to see the discussion about the 90210 reboot starting next week without him. My mom was in town and we were talking about some of the newer movies, and I mentioned his cause of death and it caught her off-guard as she didn't know he was that young. Her older brother and his wife have been going through some health issues the past year. Her bro' had a stroke, but has recovered since. His wife had a brain aneurysm but hasn't done so well, and is still hospitalized several months later. They're in their early-70s. Mom's in her 60s.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watching this documentary at the moment. DVR'd it recently off the Discovery channel. Definitely an eye-opener. Rest in peace to the filmmaker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkwater_Extinction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Stewart_(filmmaker)#Death

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Stewart_(filmmaker)#Awards_and_nominations

Sharkwater Extinction is a 2018 Canadian documentary film, directed by Rob Stewart. It premiered at the 2018 Toronto International Film Festival.[1] A sequel to his 2006 film Sharkwater, the film, which Stewart was working on at the time of his death in a diving accident in January 2017,[2] was completed by the Rob Stewart Foundation in collaboration with director Sturla Gunnarsson and editor Nick Hector.[3][4]

The film premiered on September 7, 2018, at a TIFF "Special Event" that served as both the film screening and a memorial tribute to Stewart.[5] It also received a gala screening at the Cinéfest Sudbury International Film Festival,[6] as well as screenings at the Calgary International Film Festival[7] and the Vancouver International Film Festival.[8] Rob Stewart's mother, Sandy Stewart, said "[the] entire team stayed with it, everybody stepped up. We have people from all over the world — cinematographers, filmmakers, really important people — offering to help finish this, and that was really heartwarming."[9]

Sharkwater_Extinction.png

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah - too young. It'll be interesting to see the discussion about the 90210 reboot starting next week without him. My mom was in town and we were talking about some of the newer movies, and I mentioned his cause of death and it caught her off-guard as she didn't know he was that young. Her older brother and his wife have been going through some health issues the past year. Her bro' had a stroke, but has recovered since. His wife had a brain aneurysm but hasn't done so well, and is still hospitalized several months later. They're in their early-70s. Mom's in her 60s.

I truly wonder how that 90210 reboot will work out
I lost my mother when she was 60 my grandfather passed a few years before and all of my uncles seemed to go within years of each other.My uncles were very heavy smokers

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

Start your engines and get ready for the Fast & Furious spin off franchise !!

PRAISE:

With these type of buddy movies you basically get two people that get on each's nerves or they just cant stand each other .I would say Hobbs & Shaw are right in the middle of the aforementioned.
The film presents super-villain Brixton (Idris Elba), the “black Superman.” and agent Luke Hobbs (Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson) and master criminal/spy Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham)
One of the best things about the movie are the put down banter between the two.I actually laughed out loud several times as the two relentlessly spit out insults.
The actors have charisma and then some.I could tell Elba was having a great time sharing the screen with them.
As Deckard Shaw’s sister, Hattie Vanessa Kirby strikes a nice lovely balance between the two.
Some of the story threads were fun to follow .The film add some heart around it's edges.
I found myself slapping my knee at how man films this movie borrows from...in a good way.There were also nice nods to other action films.
I welcomed most of the over the top action.Nice semi funny guest cameos.

PROBLEMS:

I could easily pick this film apart for it's plot holes and inconsistencies in the script and visuals.
The script also goes into the repetitive zone which made the movie feel longer than its 2 hour and 15 minute run time.Some montages went on far to long.Suspension of disbelief was pushed to the limit.

All week long it has been hinted at that the F&F films will venture into space...ok sure why not...but when i left the theatre i said they might as well make the the F&F Transformers cross over movie !!

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I truly wonder how that 90210 reboot will work out
I lost my mother when she was 60 my grandfather passed a few years before and all of my uncles seemed to go within years of each other.My uncles were very heavy smokers

Yes. The nostalgia should be interesting seeing as the show was watercooler talk for young people well before social media. Now with social media, many of those 30-50 somethings will be commenting. Condolences re: your family members, JBlaze. Same over here with heart disease. Great grandpa was 50. His son was 58. My mom’s mom was only 38. She passed from polio complications. Mom was only 7 or 8yo then. That really hardened her.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Checked out Instant Family and Whitney Cummings' new comedy special, Can I Touch It?

Enjoyed Instant Family. Found the physical comedy reminiscent of prior movies RV (Robin Williams & Cheryl Hines), and We're the Millers (Ed Helms & Jennifer Aniston). That dinner table scene with the potato chips, milk, ketchup, and fire was quite funny. The 2 younger kids of the 3 were good in their roles.

Had Whitney Cummings' special on in the background. Has some moments here and there. Check it out if you like her brand of writing / performance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Family

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/instant_family

Instant Family is a 2018 American comedy film starring Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne as parents who adopt three young children, played by Isabela Moner, Gustavo Escobar (Gustavo Quiroz), and Julianna Gamiz. Also starring Margo Martindale, Julie Hagerty, Tig Notaro, and Octavia Spencer, the film is directed by Sean Anders, who wrote the screenplay with John Morris, based in part on Anders' own experiences.

Instant Family was released in the United States on November 16, 2018. It grossed over $120 million worldwide, and was called an "earnest, heartwarming comedy" by critics, who also praised the performances.[2]

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Checked out Instant Family and Whitney Cummings' new comedy special, Can I Touch It?

Enjoyed Instant Family. Found the physical comedy reminiscent of prior movies RV (Robin Williams & Cheryl Hines), and We're the Millers (Ed Helms & Jennifer Aniston). That dinner table scene with the potato chips, milk, ketchup, and fire was quite funny. The 2 younger kids of the 3 were good in their roles.

Had Whitney Cummings' special on in the background. Has some moments here and there. Check it out if you like her brand of writing / performance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_Family

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/instant_family

Instant Family is a 2018 American comedy film starring Mark Wahlberg and Rose Byrne as parents who adopt three young children, played by Isabela Moner, Gustavo Escobar (Gustavo Quiroz), and Julianna Gamiz. Also starring Margo Martindale, Julie Hagerty, Tig Notaro, and Octavia Spencer, the film is directed by Sean Anders, who wrote the screenplay with John Morris, based in part on Anders' own experiences.

Instant Family was released in the United States on November 16, 2018. It grossed over $120 million worldwide, and was called an "earnest, heartwarming comedy" by critics, who also praised the performances.[2]

Instant Family was actually good and based on a true story, but the kids made the movie. And something about Rose Byrne just makes me watch instantly.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Instant Family was actually good and based on a true story, but the kids made the movie. And something about Rose Byrne just makes me watch instantly.

Yeah - that youngest daughter was very good. Very believable with her outbursts & energy. Agreed re: Byrne. Can pull off dramatic & comedic quite well. First noticed her years back on that series DAMAGES (with Glenn Close). I need to go back and watch that series. Only caught the 1st season and part of the 2nd. Think it ran for 5 - 6 seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damages_(TV_series)

Damages is an American legal thriller television series created by writing and production trio Daniel Zelman, Glenn Kessler, and Todd A. Kessler. It premiered on July 24, 2007 on FX and aired for three seasons before moving to the DirecTV channel Audience Network in 2010, airing for two further seasons and concluding in 2012.[1][2]

The plot revolves around the brilliant, ruthless lawyer Patty Hewes (Glenn Close) and her newest protégée, recent law school graduate Ellen Parsons (Rose Byrne). Each season features a major case that Hewes and her firm take on while also examining a chapter of the complex relationship between Ellen and Patty. The first two seasons center on the law firm Hewes & Associates in New York City, while later seasons center more on Patty and Ellen's relationship as Ellen attempts to distance herself from Hewes & Associates professionally and personally.

The series is known for its depiction of season-long cases from the point of view of both a law firm and an opponent. It is also noted for the technical merit of its writing, including its effective use of plot twists and non-linear narrative. It has received critical acclaim and various award nominations, with Close and Željko Ivanek winning Primetime Emmy Awards for their performances. Other established actors in the cast include Ted Danson, William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden, Timothy Olyphant, Martin Short, Lily Tomlin, John Goodman, Ryan Phillippe, Dylan Baker, Janet McTeer, and John Hannah.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Intruder

Wife has been bugging me to watch this since the release, so glad I didn't waste money. This should of been a Lifetime movie but since they had 3 main stars, it had to go to the big screen. The back and forth of this guy is weird, he shouldn't be here vs oh he is just lonely. Get out of here no stranger better show up to my house uninvited a second time.

5 out of 10 only because of Michael Ealy, Dennis Quaid and Megan Good. Without them maybe a 3 wait til its on FX. The score goes up when Megan is walking around but instantly drops once she starts talking nonsense.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah - that youngest daughter was very good. Very believable with her outbursts & energy. Agreed re: Byrne. Can pull off dramatic & comedic quite well. First noticed her years back on that series DAMAGES (with Glenn Close). I need to go back and watch that series. Only caught the 1st season and part of the 2nd. Think it ran for 5 - 6 seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damages_(TV_series)

Damages is an American legal thriller television series created by writing and production trio Daniel Zelman, Glenn Kessler, and Todd A. Kessler. It premiered on July 24, 2007 on FX and aired for three seasons before moving to the DirecTV channel Audience Network in 2010, airing for two further seasons and concluding in 2012.[1][2]

The plot revolves around the brilliant, ruthless lawyer Patty Hewes (Glenn Close) and her newest protégée, recent law school graduate Ellen Parsons (Rose Byrne). Each season features a major case that Hewes and her firm take on while also examining a chapter of the complex relationship between Ellen and Patty. The first two seasons center on the law firm Hewes & Associates in New York City, while later seasons center more on Patty and Ellen's relationship as Ellen attempts to distance herself from Hewes & Associates professionally and personally.

The series is known for its depiction of season-long cases from the point of view of both a law firm and an opponent. It is also noted for the technical merit of its writing, including its effective use of plot twists and non-linear narrative. It has received critical acclaim and various award nominations, with Close and Željko Ivanek winning Primetime Emmy Awards for their performances. Other established actors in the cast include Ted Danson, William Hurt, Marcia Gay Harden, Timothy Olyphant, Martin Short, Lily Tomlin, John Goodman, Ryan Phillippe, Dylan Baker, Janet McTeer, and John Hannah.

Yeah I was going through her movies before and saw Damages was good. Hard to add another series still trying to finish the Marvel Netflix shows.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
The Intruder

Wife has been bugging me to watch this since the release, so glad I didn't waste money. This should of been a Lifetime movie but since they had 3 main stars, it had to go to the big screen. The back and forth of this guy is weird, he shouldn't be here vs oh he is just lonely. Get out of here no stranger better show up to my house uninvited a second time.

5 out of 10 only because of Michael Ealy, Dennis Quaid and Megan Good. Without them maybe a 3 wait til its on FX. The score goes up when Megan is walking around but instantly drops once she starts talking nonsense.

https://www.aznude.com/view/movie/t/theintruder-65602.html

https://www.aznude.com/view/celeb/m/meagangood.html

thumb3_meagan_good_6000c2.jpg
thumb3_meagan_good_dc59b0.jpg
thumb3_meagan_good_08dae2.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Yeah I was going through her movies before and saw Damages was good. Hard to add another series still trying to finish the Marvel Netflix shows.

Agreed. Trying to get around to more movies these next few months before all the fall series set in again. Main shows at the moment are City on a Hill and Yellowstone.
I have season 1 of Damages set aside in a folder ... will probably check it out in the new year.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Agreed. Trying to get around to more movies these next few months before all the fall series set in again. Main shows at the moment are City on a Hill and Yellowstone.
I have season 1 of Damages set aside in a folder ... will probably check it out in the new year.

Never heard of City on a Hill, I like Aldis from Leverage and I see Sarah Shahi, its on my list.

I watched Longmire how is Yellowstone in comparison.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Never heard of City on a Hill, I like Aldis from Leverage and I see Sarah Shahi, its on my list.

I watched Longmire how is Yellowstone in comparison.

Good season so far (City on a Hill). Aldis is great. Kevin Bacon too. Sarah Shahi's always beautiful. Good role for her.

Been enjoying Yellowstone. Just past the midway part of season 2. Unsure how it compares with Longmire (haven't seen that series), but it's got good power dynamics going on across the key players, and always looks good. Plenty of picturesque outdoor/landscape shots.

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good season so far (City on a Hill). Aldis is great. Kevin Bacon too. Sarah Shahi's always beautiful. Good role for her.

Been enjoying Yellowstone. Just past the midway part of season 2. Unsure how it compares with Longmire (haven't seen that series), but it's got good power dynamics going on across the key players, and always looks good. Plenty of picturesque outdoor/landscape shots.

I watched Longmire on accident, fell asleep on a show woke up to Katee Sackhoff in a bra, then a shootout few minutes later. Found all the old eps and was surprised I enjoyed the show. Some characters are mad annoying at first but they grow on you.