MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

A dream to help people worldwide and change the medical field becomes a nightmare of dishonesty

PRAISE: What a mesmerizing true story of Elizabeth Anne Holmes the founder and former CEO of Theranos
who wanted to put blood testing machines in every home ,that not only would just need a small drop of blood from a finger,and which users could test themselves monthly for disease.
I believe Holmes genuinely wanted to help people and see her dream realized,but got caught up in her own ego and oblivious mind set she didnt see or refused to see that it couldnt come to fruition.

I enjoyed how the film showed this slow build up of support,praise, and financial backing from corporations,periodicals,celebrities and politicians kept growing and turned Theranos into a $9 billion company even though the aforementioned truly hadnt seen any true results.
People actually put Holmes before family members who could see the company had become a sinking ship !!

PROBLEMS : NONE

Im looking forward to the biopic which will star Jennifer Lawrence

Scale of 1-10 10+

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thanks for the intel, JBlaze ^ - wasn't too familiar with this one.

Saw Triple Frontier yesterday with some fam'. Definitely getting a mix of reviews out there from viewers and critics/reviewers alike. Had some exciting moments, but also plenty of WTF ridiculousness which felt more made-for-TV. Overall it wasn't a terrible watch ... OK ... not great, or awful. Our in-house ratings were 6 - 6.75 / 10 for the most part.

bootypleaser

Star
BGOL Investor
The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley

A dream to help people worldwide and change the medical field becomes a nightmare of dishonesty

PRAISE: What a mesmerizing true story of Elizabeth Anne Holmes the founder and former CEO of Theranos
who wanted to put blood testing machines in every home ,that not only would just need a small drop of blood from a finger,and which users could test themselves monthly for disease.
I believe Holmes genuinely wanted to help people and see her dream realized,but got caught up in her own ego and oblivious mind set she didnt see or refused to see that it couldnt come to fruition.

I enjoyed how the film showed this slow build up of support,praise, and financial backing from corporations,periodicals,celebrities and politicians kept growing and turned Theranos into a $9 billion company even though the aforementioned truly hadnt seen any true results.
People actually put Holmes before family members who could see the company had become a sinking ship !!

PROBLEMS : NONE

Im looking forward to the biopic which will star Jennifer Lawrence

Scale of 1-10 10+

anyone got a download for this?

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks for the intel, JBlaze ^ - wasn't too familiar with this one.

Saw Triple Frontier yesterday with some fam'. Definitely getting a mix of reviews out there from viewers and critics/reviewers alike. Had some exciting moments, but also plenty of WTF ridiculousness which felt more made-for-TV. Overall it wasn't a terrible watch ... OK ... not great, or awful. Our in-house ratings were 6 - 6.75 / 10 for the most part.

i agree great suspense but it seemed like the last 20 minutes everything kind of stalled

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dragged Across Concrete

Director/writer S. Craig Zahler returns to the big screen with an enthralling crime drama

PRAISE: Great performances from the entire cast which includes:
Mel Gibson,Vince Vaughn,Tory Kittles ,Michael Jai White,Jennifer Carpenter,Laurie Holden,Fred Melamed,Udo Kier,Thomas Kretschmann,Don Johnson.

Zahler has rafted a story in which i was fully engaged .Even when i wondered where a subplot in the film was going,i couldnt take my eyes off it.He even got me to care about a character who only had about 10 minutes of screen time.The movie is beautifully shot and scenes are laced with all the right amounts of tension and suspense.
The violence and gore is not for the faint of heart but it's not dwelling.
His convergence of criminal and cop his seamlessly done.

PROBLEMS: Watching certain scenes i found myself saying well Zahler definitely could have made some cuts here and there to reduce the films almost 3 hour running time.

Whether you watch this film OnDemand or in the theatre i dont think you will be disappointed.

Scale of 1-10 an 8

SHAZAM

Is Shazam another step in the right direction for DC/WB?

PRAISE: I admit i went in with low expectations because of all the jokey and wacky scenes from the trailers and ads.But boy was i pleasantly surprised !!
The movie is charming and then some.
What a charming and likeable cast !!
Asher Angel and Zachary Levi as William "Billy" Batson / Shazam are in sync in their fun portrayal of the character.
Mark Strong as Dr. Thaddeus Sivana is sinister and then some !!
Jack Dylan Grazer,Djimon Hounsou,Grace Fulton,Ian Chen,Jovan Armand,Faithe Herman,Cooper Andrews,and Marta Milans are also quite terrific.
From the films first frames and throughout i was pulled in to the story and cared about the characters.The film takes it time to provide a good back story.At one point in the movie i said to myself yes !! you are giving me that very good balance of light and dark.Speaking of dark this film goes dark a few times and some of the violence may be to much for small children.
There is a strong message about the strength of family throughout the film.The jokes from the trailers work so much better in the context of the film.

PROBLEMS:There is some old hat corniness in the film.That dryness that made me think of some bad comic book films from the past.There are some jokey moments i could have done without.The CGI is choppy here and there in the film.

If you were ever a Shazam fan this is the movie for you !!
Make sure to stick around for the mid credits scene !!

Scale of 1-10 an 8

US

Can writer/director Jordan Peele give audiences another thought provoking horror thriller?

NO SPOILERS !! NO SPOILERS !!

PRAISE : This story of a family being hunted by their sinister and intimidating dopplegangers is crafted into a very involving horror film.
Peele is able to fuse menace and humor which gives the movie it's real punch.
He also gives nods to some of his favorite horror and sci fi films.
The cast which includes: Winston Duke, Shahadi Wright Joseph, Evan Alex, Elisabeth Moss, Tim Heidecker do a fine job but Lupita Nyong’o is the stand out she gives a mesmerizing performance.
I liked how Peele inserts little messages throughout the film that play out in future scenes.
His build up of suspense is always on point.

PROBLEMS: Inconsistent turns in the script.Some of the situations in the film were overdone and then some.So much so i felt the film loses its way at times.Im not sure if Peele included some horror tropes for a laugh or if he was serious,i found the inclusion of the aforementioned frustrating !!

US is not perfect but very entertaining.Try to see it with a packed theatre it will add to your enjoyment of the film.

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

mexico

Rising Star
Registered
Dragged Across Concrete

Director/writer S. Craig Zahler returns to the big screen with an enthralling crime drama

Mel Gibson,Vince Vaughn,Tory Kittles ,Michael Jai White,Jennifer Carpenter,Laurie Holden,Fred Melamed,Udo Kier,Thomas Kretschmann,Don Johnson.

Zahler has rafted a story in which i was fully engaged .Even when i wondered where a subplot in the film was going,i couldnt take my eyes off it.He even got me to care about a character who only had about 10 minutes of screen time.The movie is beautifully shot and scenes are laced with all the right amounts of tension and suspense.

PROBLEMS: Watching certain scenes i found myself saying well Zahler definitely could have made some cuts here and there to reduce the films almost 3 hour running time.

Whether you watch this film OnDemand or in the theatre i dont think you will be disappointed.

Scale of 1-10 an 8

:eek2: this motherfucker done dropped another one? This dude keeps dropping gems under the radar. I loved Brawl in Cell Block 99. Throwback guy movie. I thought Vince Vaughn put in work that was nomination worthy, and then I went and discovered Bone Tomahawk on Prime. It's a shame Zahler hasn't blown up yet.

His stuff can run a little long, but I think he's one of the most distinct filmmakers working right now. Props for this. I'm definitely gonna have to be on the lookout.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Only for one night
This movie is very predictable, poorly acted, and unintentionally funny at the same time. I would skip this if you don't want to waste your time. This movie probably would have been tolerable. If most of the cast was replaced with vets.

The trap

The trailer stars 43 seconds end.
Welp I couldn't find a decent trailer for this bullshit. After seeing the cast members. I thought this might be a decent movie,hell no. Skip this shit.

Hold the dark

Movie was good. But I didn't understand this shit, especially how it ended.

Last edited:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watched a couple of documentaries. Fyre Fraud (the Hulu one; had seen the Netflix doc' previously) and Wasted Talent. Enjoyed the interview segments with Billy the con artist piece of shit in Fyre Fraud, and the discussion/explanation of influencer culture and the sheep mentality of young, rich people getting caught up in that shitshow. Wasted Talent's an easy one to get through as it's just over 1 hour. Had watched a portion of it previously, and wrapped it up a few days ago.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Shazam! for me. thoroughly enjoyed it, a genuinely funny and sweet film. I'm rooting for this to do well this weekend. :cool:

https://soundcloud.com/user-722942906

Sean is joined by Miles Surrey to assess the landscape of DC films after the breakout success of ‘Shazam!' (2:00). Then, 'Shazam!' director David F. Sandberg swings by to talk about how he turned his terrifying short, 'Lights Out,' into a feature-film career in Hollywood, the movies that inspired him, and his future in the DCEU (13:30).

Host: Sean Fennessey
Guests: David F. Sandberg and Miles Surrey

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw The Highwaymen last night. We thought it was pretty good. Just over 2 hours in running time. Woody Harrelson, Kevin Costner, Kathy Bates, etc. It had a good slow build to it. Wasn't dull, and held our interest. Good tension which was effective. If you're a fan of Costner's work ... check out that Yellowstone series which aired last year on the Paramount network (season 2 starts later this June). He was good in that too. Also interesting watching the movie focus around those in pursuit of Bonnie & Clyde, and not the criminal subjects in question. Bonnie's in key scenes, but you don't see her face until much later in the film. As for The Highwaymen ... a mixture of reviews from Google users, the IMDB community & Rotten Tomatoes critics & fans alike. I'd give it a good 7 - 7.5 / 10.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_highwaymen/reviews/

Last edited:

slam

aka * My Name Is Not $lam *
Super Moderator
thUa.jpg

A tropical thriller that casts Donald Glover as a musician with designs on pulling off a scheme to rob his way into the good life, which quickly gets him in over his head.

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Dragged Across Concrete

this movie is racist

and i just read the director is a racist too

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member

should have really been an art club movie or one shown just at festivals

robert did his thing and did effectively portraying what isolation can do to someones mental health

nice, stripped down but no replay value

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member

The Hard Way
Netflix
Starring Michael Jai White
I couldn't find a proper trailer on YouTube. Someone spliced an old news story about a home invasion. With the official trailer. I will not post the link. Because i think the uploader is trying to race bait.

People because of the content of the video. And trying to make some weird ass connection. With the movie.

Anyway I thought the movie was decent. The fighting and gun play was excellent. The story was ok, it's like other movies you definitely seen before. But it's still entertaining. I would say give it a try.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Hell Boy was amazing. It had the most senseless and disgusting violence I've ever seen before. It was over the top, and I never thought I would say that. The creatures were disgusting. The story was confusing and disjointed.

It was amazed they did such a bad job.

Dirtylakerie

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The Beyond

I thought this was a good movie. People in the comment section thinks other wise:lol: While watching this, I thought this was related to the beyond skyline movies. But I dont think it is.​

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Watching this doc' at the moment. DVR'd off of TSN (sports network from Toronto). Pretty good ...

https://www.bellmedia.ca/the-lede/p...n-beginning-with-the-bailey-experience-feb-6/

https://www.anaid.com/eoan-press-release

https://www.tsn.ca/engraved

The Bailey Experience
donovan-bailey.jpg

'The Bailey Experience' examines what it was like for the now famous sprinter during his run to become the fastest man on the planet. Following the 1988 Olympic doping scandal, Canadians were hesitant to support Bailey and his quest for gold. Featuring personal interviews with Bailey, who not only reveals the depths of the scrutiny he faced on the track, but also his struggle to win the support of Canadians, 'The Bailey Experience' features additional insights from TSN’s Brian Williams, as well as Bob Costas, Bruny Surin, and more. It is directed by Michael Hamilton, and produced by Adam Scorgie of Score G Productions Inc. in association with Bell Media.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Going to get caught up on some movies soon. As for other TV series & programming ... have seen the first episode for Black Summer (series) & Our Planet (doc' series). Wrapping up the current season of Survivor next month. Going to also try and wrap up Black Monday & Cobra Kai (season 2) in the weeks ahead.