Marvel Reportedly Wants Ava DuVernay To Direct Superhero Movie

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Marvel Reportedly Wants Ava DuVernay To Direct Superhero Movie

Director Ava DuVernay may be headed to Marvel.

The studio is considering DuVernay, nominated for a Best Director Golden Globe for "Selma," for an upcoming superhero film, according to The Wrap. Marvel apparently wants DuVernay to direct either “Black Panther” or “Captain Marvel," both due out in 2018. She would be the first black woman to direct a major superhero movie.

HitFix in February asked DuVernay if she had any interest in directing a Marvel film. She responded with a laugh and said, "I'm not a big comic book fan, but I know I love to deconstruct heroes, deconstruct myths. I probably want to do some origin story." DuVernay admitted that she didn't know much about Marvel's properties, but added, "everything is possible."

The Wrap's report comes as the American Civil Liberties Union on Tuesday called for an investigation into what it called Hollywood's "systemic failure" to hire female directors. Ariela Migdal, a senior attorney with the ACLU Women's Rights Project, said the failure to hire women directors is "a pretty solid sign there's discrimination going on."

It's worth noting that Patty Jenkins will be the first female director on a major superhero movie. Jenkins, who was originally optioned to direct "Thor: The Dark World," is directing the upcoming "Wonder Woman" film.

Reps for Marvel and DuVernay weren't immediately available for comment.

tumblr_nllce4kpTn1rdaaojo1_1280.jpg

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?p=15441078#post15441078

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No no no no no, I do need t want one of these I don't like comic let's deconstruct the hero directors.

kidmegaii

Medium well
BGOL Investor
950+ days until a black panther movie. Black panther doesn't need to be deconstructed I wanna see flying cars super tech on full display.

Deconstruct the boy wonder.

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Apparently, Marvel execs are lurking on BGOL, but completely ignoring all the Black Panther threads. :smh:

That [search] button works, chief. :rolleyes:

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
More than likely Captain Marvel if Angelina Jolie turned down directing. They really want a woman to do that one. Have some faith people.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
She is extremely talented, but I hope she is a comic book and science fiction/tech/fantasy fan or at least take the time to delve into the genre hard. I don't want a comic book drama.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Relax,folks. :)

Marvel has a pretty good track record of picking just the right directors to do their films.

And it could be much, much worse.

I mean; they could've been jocking for a more "provocative" director to direct one of their films. :dunno:

Can you imagine what a "Lee Daniel's: Black Panther" film would be like...? :eek:

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
She is extremely talented, but I hope she is a comic book and science fiction/tech/fantasy fan or at least take the time to delve into the genre hard. I don't want a comic book drama.

That's the whole problem. She is a very good 'drama' director... but she is NOT any of those things you mentioned. :smh:

She has admitted (in various interviews) that she was never into comic books, nor into fantasy/science fiction/ or high-tech. :smh:

The majority of her film career has been spent making 'fashion documentaries'. :yes:

But she made ONE really good 'dramatic documentary'... Aaaaannnddd here we are. :rolleyes:

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
That's the whole problem. She is a very good 'drama' director... but she is NOT any of those things you mentioned. :smh:

She has admitted (in various interviews) that she was never into comic books, nor into fantasy/science fiction/ or high-tech. :smh:

The majority of her film career has been spent making 'fashion documentaries'. :yes:

But she made ONE really good 'dramatic documentary'... Aaaaannnddd here we are. :rolleyes:
:smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I disagree

I have NO idea if she will be good or not.

But the work she has shown so far HAS been good, I can only judge you on what you've done.

the first 2 episodes of the Daredevil Netflix series was directed by a Mad Men director.

Based on his track record Gunn should not have been given Guardians and if anything Whedon should have gotten Wonder Woman or Black Widow or Justice League Dark or something.

Marvel in particular has been OUTSTANDING in not choosing the best comic book directors but the BEST DIRECTORS WRITERS ACTORS ETC...

PERIOD.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
I disagree

But the work she has shown so far HAS been good, I can only judge you on what you've done.

the first 2 episodes of the Daredevil Netflix series was directed by a Mad Men director.

Based on his track record Gunn should not have been given Guardians and if anything Whedon should have gotten Wonder Woman or Black Widow or Justice League Dark or something.

Marvel in particular has been OUTSTANDING in not choosing the best comic book directors but the BEST DIRECTORS WRITERS ACTORS ETC...

PERIOD.

Selma was boring as fuck. I know cats will be biased and not admit it but it was not that great of a movie

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I disagree

PERIOD.

yeah but all those people they got have an affinity and talent for action storytelling.. comicbooks are at their core ACTION stories...

theres a reason you haven't seen martin scorsese (goodfellas, crime drama) or nicholas sparks (the notebook, romance) direct or write big action thrillers...its not in their wheelhouse.

Hell Kevin Smith is a comic book aficionado who can go on for HOURS about comic stories and written titles himself...HE SUCKS AT MAKING COMIC MOVIES.

Ava Du Vernay is the studios twofer token answer for complaining white women...:smh::smh:

kidmegaii

Medium well
BGOL Investor
I disagree

PERIOD.

I'm not as impressed with marvel as you are. Winter soliderr was awesome and iron man was cool the second half of avengers was fun, everything else (didnt see guardians or ultron) doesn't give me much faith that this black panther movie is going to be great.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm not as impressed with marvel as you are. Winter soliderr was awesome and iron man was cool the second half of avengers was fun, everything else (didnt see guardians or ultron) doesn't give me much faith that this black panther movie is going to be great.

come back after you seen those Daredevil Agent Carter and SHIELD.

then we can talk

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
come back after you seen those Daredevil Agent Carter and SHIELD.

then we can talk

Bryan Singer is a perfect example of a director that got famous for making one movie (the Usual Suspects) but had no damn business on Earth directing the X-men series. Brett Ratner is even worse. So no....that sister who isn't a fan of the genre needs to take 2 seats down

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Bryan Singer is a perfect example of a director that got famous for making one movie (the Usual Suspects) but had no damn business on Earth directing the X-men series. Brett Ratner is even worse. So no....that sister who isn't a fan of the genre needs to take 2 seats down

you know I disagree considering the climate to make that first X-Men movie a success was a huge feat and X-Men 2 was good.

You got to judge each of these early comic movies in context.

I thought he did a good job...

for an accused molester.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
you know I disagree considering the climate to make that first X-Men movie a success was a huge feat and X-Men 2 was good.

You got to judge each of these early comic movies in context.

I thought he did a good job...

for an accused molester.

"Do you know what happens to a toad that gets hit by lightning??"....I rest my case....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
"Do you know what happens to a toad that gets hit by lightning??"....I rest my case....

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ok ok you aint playing fair....

at the TIME?

In the theater?

geeks were cheering!!!

That is the only thing I don't like about this current golden age. The kids will never know what WE went through to get quality work like this.

Hell Blade 1/2 are STILL not given enough credit classic pioneering films of this genre.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor

at the TIME?

In the theater?

geeks were cheering!!!

That is the only thing I don't like about this current golden age. The kids will never know what WE went through to get quality work like this.

Hell Blade 1/2 are STILL not given enough credit classic pioneering films of this genre.

To me Blade 1/2 started the genre and did it right. I agree they never give credit where credit is due for showing what a comic book film could be.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ang Lee's Hulk. Nuff said:smh:

C'mon ya'll...

that made big box office got a Oscar nominated director...

no matter how sub par the actual result was it was IMPORTANT to the success we see now.

and that comic book frame he used throughout?

Still some of the most beautiful work I've seen on screen and needs to be done again.

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered

at the TIME?

In the theater?

geeks were cheering!!!

That was a editing shit. That line was supposed to be because throughout the movie Toad was supposed to be saying all these stupid facts about toads. So when Storm says that... it was supposed to be in response to him. But they cut out all of his quips and shit.

Making Storm look stupid.

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
C'mon ya'll...

that made big box office got a Oscar nominated director...

no matter how sub par the actual result was it was IMPORTANT to the success we see now.

and that comic book frame he used throughout?

Still some of the most beautiful work I've seen on screen and needs to be done again.

:lol: Eh. I liked it. But then i'm usually in the minority when it comes to books tv shows movies. I liked how he transformed. And the action scenes.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
That was a editing shit. That line was supposed to be because throughout the movie Toad was supposed to be saying all these stupid facts about toads. So when Storm says that... it was supposed to be in response to him. But they cut out all of his quips and shit.

I noticed you answered him and not me about a statement I made. You still terrified of talking to me directly? :lol:

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member

:yes:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

damn...i never knew that!!!!

Listen, no one's trying to defend the X-Men series portrayal of Storm - she's a pretty nothing character who's never given any significant motivations or relationships to play off of, and that's the fault of the writers and directors, not Halle Berry. But all parties involved got A LOT of flack for the line "Do you know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else." It's a weird one-liner - not clever, not funny, takes way too long to say, etc. But the real problem is how dramatically it's delivered - it's treated sorta like the culminating moment for Storm in the film, her big Shakespearian monologue moment - when it was supposed to be a dad joke.

In case you're not familiar, the joke ACTUALLY is supposed to be "Do you know what happens when a toad gets struck by lightning? IT CROAKS!" There's a 95% chance your dad is telling you this joke RIGHT NOW.

Storm's like was meant to be set-up like she was telling that goofy dad joke - but then instead of the pun-tacular punchline, she shrugs it off. "The same thing that happens to everything else" is basically a "duh" shrug, not a grand proclamation.

The line (the original line, that is) was infamously written by current Marvel-god Joss Whedon, who had this to say: "HAHAHAHA NO ONE CAN CHANGE MY SCRIPTS NOW!" as he forced former Fox-executives to battle to their deaths in a Roman colosseum using only DVDs of Serenity.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/61614/stupid-things-in-comic-book-movies-that-were-almost-okay

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Almost all have been a crushing disappointment, with the rewrites almost always coming out wrong, with the exception of Toy Story and Speed. There’s other bits here and there—the "You’re a dick" line from X-Men. I had done so much work they had thrown out, so that was a personal victory. It was then overshadowed when I told the famous Toad story [when Storm, played by Halle Berry, dramatically asks Toad what happens to a toad struck by lightning]. It’s supposed to be (casually): "What happens when a toad gets hit by lightning? [Lightning strike] The same thing that happens to everything else." It was supposed to be like a throwaway, and she did it like she was King Lear. I was trying to explain what I had written versus the actor who played it. But all people remember is you’re the one who wrote that terrible line. I should have never told that story.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Joss...ron-Wonder-Woman-H-I-E-L-Much-More-39543.html