Marvel Ant-Man & Wasp Official Movie Discussion Thread Update: Quantumania SPOILER REVIEWS!

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-Lilly-resumes-filming-new-Ant-Man-movie.html

44CEBE7100000578-4929038-Evangeline_Lilly_looked_sensational_as_she_resumed_filming_for_t-m-54_1506596459123.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
New Ant-Man 2 Character Details Reveal Civil War Fallout and Janet Van Dyne

Director Peyton Reed has offered tantalizing hints at the heroes’ roles in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Fans were introduced to Marvel’s smallest hero back in 2015, when Paul Rudd suited up as Ant-Man. The diminutive hero returned only a year later, in Captain America: Civil War. That film saw Ant-Man side with Steve Rogers in opposition to the Sokovia Accords, although in truth he was mostly motivated by hero-worship.

RELATED: ANT-MAN 2 CASTING CALL TEASING CONNECTION TO CIVIL WAR?

The latest issue of Empire Magazine has published an interview with director Peyton Reed, discussing each major character’s role in the film. He stressed that the events of Civil War have transformed his story. As Reed explained:

“The events of Captain America: Civil War gave us something clear, which is: what was Hank Pym and Hope Van Dyne’s reaction to Scott having taken this technology out into the world in Civil War? We had a lot of fun playing around with that.”

Hank Pym has kept his size-changing technology a closely-guarded secret for decades. Even when he served with S.H.I.E.L.D. during the Cold War, Pym refused to allow the espionage agency to have access to his technology. Now, in the aftermath of Captain America: Civil War, Pym’s deepest secrets have become a matter of public knowledge. Worse still, Tony Stark – son of Pym’s business rival, Howard Stark – knows about the Pym Particles. While Stark didn’t seem particularly interested in them during Civil War, he’s currently trying to reassemble the Avengers. No doubt Pym is under renewed pressure to make the Pym Particles available to people he doesn’t quite trust.

At the same time, it’s undeniable that Pym’s partnership with Scott Lang has proved to be a productive one. As we saw in Civil War, he’s unlocked the ability to transform an Ant-Man into a Giant-Man. Reed assures fans that “we play with size and scale a lot” in Ant-Man and the Wasp, and emphasizes that he loves the idea of Giant-Man.

Meanwhile, Hank Pym remains fascinated with the Quantum Realm. Scott Lang’s brief survival in that dimension raises the possibility that Hank’s wife, Janet Van Dyne, is still alive. The director avoids revealing much about Michelle Pfeiffer’s character, but assures Empire that she’s very important to the sequel’s plot.

“It’s fair to say if someone were to have spent thirtysomething years in the Quantum Realm and survived, it would have an effect. What did she eat? All she eats is cereal called Quantum Krispies.”

Some fans had speculated that – since time operates differently in the Quantum Realm – Janet may not have needed to eat at all. It seems there has indeed been a sense of the passage of time. It’s safe to say the experience will have changed Janet, and she won’t be the same woman her husband knew decades ago.

Finally, Reed focuses in on Evangeline Lilly’s Hope Van Dyne. It seems Hank hasn’t settled for creating Giant-Man. He’s also been training his daughter as a superhero in her own right, and Reed describes this film as “her coming out party as a hero.” Wasp’s powerset is very different to Ant-Man’s, and her fighting style revolves around her power of flight. It’s a smart way of ensuring the characters complement, rather than contrast.

It’s exciting to see how much thought Reed has put into the ongoing narrative of the MCU. Civil War hinted that Hank Pym has been conducting fresh experiments with the technology he discovered decades ago. That story of experimentation looks set to continue, setting up a narrative thread that runs through the Wasp’s flight and fighting style, the Quantum Realm, and Pym’s relationship with his protege Scott Lang. It will be fascinating to see just what science-fantasy breakthroughs are part of Ant-Man and the Wasp.

https://screenrant.com/ant-man-2-character-details-civil-war-fallout-janet-van-dyne/

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Everyone is sleeping on Ant-man.....

yup...

and if Marvel is able to do BIG numbers with this sequel?

If I was DC/WB I would just give up on Universe building and do stand alone flicks from here on out.

they lack the patience or skill to do the Universe thing.

Stick with what works for you.

ShadyPat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yeap this is cleary marvel's must slept on character..I enjoy the first one a lot....that wasp chick is no joke.shes been dying to wear the suit since the first one...

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://screenrant.com/ant-man-wasp-cameo-quantum-realm-confirmed-feige/

Ant-Man-Wasp-cameo.jpg

Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige has confirmed a long-held fan theory that Ant-Manincludes a brief glimpse of Janet van Dyne, the original Wasp, in the Quantum Realm. You can spot her near the end of the movie, after Scott Lang has shrunk down to the subatomic level in order to sabotage Yellow Jacket's suit, and finds himself shrinking smaller and smaller uncontrollably. Scott sees an array of lights as he shrinks, and at one point Wasp's silhouette can be seen - both in the light, and reflected in Ant-Man's helmet.

Of course, we'll see a lot more of Janet (played by Michelle Pfeiffer) in Peyton Reed's sequel Ant-Man and the Wasp, which is out in theaters in just a few more days. The movie is set before Avengers: Infinity War, and will find Scott dealing with the fallout of his decision to join Team Cap in Captain America: Civil War. This time around Evangeline Lilly's Hope van Dyne will finally be donning a superhero costume of her own, and Hank Pym, Hope and Scott will be venturing into the Quantum Realm on a rescue mission to find Janet.

Related: Ant-Man & The Wasp TV Spot Reveals Michelle Pfeiffer As Janet van Dyne

While plenty of fans spotted Wasp's silhouette in Ant-Man, it could have just been a trick of the light. However, Feige confirmed at the Ant-Man and the Wasp junket press conference that Scott did indeed encounter Janet in the Quantum Realm, as a way of setting up the sequel: "In the first film it was, we got a glimpse of it for people who like to go through frame-by-frame, there was a little silhouette of Janet as the Wasp in there, which is a big story element in this movie."

This isn't the only time that Janet van Dyne appears in Ant-Man, as the movie also features a flashback scene that shows how she ended up becoming lost in the Quantum Realm. While she and Hank Pym were partnered up as Ant-Man and the Wasp, Janet went subatomic in order to slip through the casing of a bomb and deactivate it before it reached its target. Many lives were saved, but the original Wasp was lost. We don't yet know how the decades she spent in the Quantum Realm will have changed Janet, but we have heard that Pfeiffer has filmed scenes for next year's Avengers 4, so presumably the rescue mission is a success.

The Quantum Realm is reachable by shrinking down to the subatomic level, but there are other ways of accessing it. Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson has confirmed that his movie shows the Quantum Realm among the various dimensions that Stephen Strange visits when the Ancient One first introduces him to magic. It's a thoroughly mysterious dimension, "where all concepts of time and space become irrelevant," according to Hank Pym, and we're definitely interested to find out more about it in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

The Pope

His Holiness Pope Francis
Registered
Just came from seeing the movie and it was awesome, the Ghost was kicking ass throughout the movie as was The Wasp. There are actors who are just best suited to play villains or bad guys and Walton Goggins is that guy. The first post credit scene was just awesome but after that one I just left so I didnt even see the second one

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
I was looking for this thread last night. I thought it was just ok. Something seemed to be missing, which is why I looked the first one better.

Spoiler
I was expecting Bill to change into Goliath, sucks that he didn't. Maybe in the next one.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ghost-Unmasked-in-Ant-Man-and-the-Wasp-Cropped.jpg

Steven Spielberg helped Hannah John-Kamen land her Ant-Man & The Wasp role by personally writing a letter endorsing her to director Peyton Reed. Playing Ava aka. Ghost - a mysterious villain who can phase through objects - John-Kamen squares off with Paul Rudd's shrinking superhero, Ant-Man, alongside his new (and more capable) partner, Wasp, played by Evangeline Lilly in the latest Marvel offering.

John-Kamen has a solid working portfolio with stints in HBO's juggernaut series, Game of Thrones and British science fiction anthology series, Black Mirror. But in 2018, she's officially made the jump from being a TV star to a movie actress with three blockbuster hits under her belt - Ant-Man & The Wasp, Tomb Raider, and Ready Player One, where she worked with Spielberg. And as it turns out, their great working relationship helped her land her Marvel gig thanks to a personal letter written by the famed filmmaker vouching for her.

RELATED: Ant-Man 2 Villain Was Chosen Because She's Not Like Thanos & Killmonger

Reed, who returned to helm the sequel after directing its 2015 predecessor, recalled reading the letter: “It said, ‘Dear Peyton. I’m excited you’re doing the movie and I just want to put in the good word for Hannah. I worked with her and she was terrific. Signed, Steven Spielberg.'," during a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times. The same media outlet also spoke with John-Kamen, who opened up about the glowing recommendation. The actress couldn't be any more thankful to the critically acclaimed filmmaker saying, “To have a letter from Steven Spielberg – come on, who says that out loud? It’s really wonderful, and it’s an honor." Considering her acting resume, who's to say that John-Kamen wouldn't have nabbed the part without Spielberg's endorsement? Nonetheless, to be vouched for by arguably one of the best working directors today certainly didn't hurt her cause.

Further talking about the role, the 28-year-old actress shared that she's still thrilled about the opportunity to board the MCU train. “It was just incredible, and I’m still pinching myself," she admitted. But with the added pressure knowing that Spielberg personally helped her getting the part, she made sure to portray the character as best as she could.

“I approached her as not being a villain. In my mind it’s everyone else’s fault; they’re the bad guys. I’m the good guy, and it’s every man and woman for herself. She’s a complex cookie. She’s got a lot of depth and she’s vulnerable. I think the audience are going to be very, very confused as to how they feel about her.”

Only the second female villain in the MCU, following Cate Blanchett's Hela in Thor: Ragnarok, many were obviously looking forward to what John-Kamen will bring to the table. And based on what she's given in Ant-Man & The Wasp, she did a good job of bringing a complex character like Ghost to life. But unlike the Goddess of Death, Ava's narrative seems to be just getting started. After Janet helped her fully heal herself, there's a good chance that fans will see more of her in future films in the series, and maybe even spearhead the franchise's live-action version of the Thunderbolts just like in the comics.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ant-Man-Wasp-Hank-Pym-Villain.jpg

Ant-Man & The Wasp Makes Hank Pym a Jerk in The MCU, Too

There are plenty of things that Ant-Man and The Wasp. gets right about the Marvel Comics source material. And one of the most subtle aspects the movie gets right is finally showing Dr. Hank Pym's arrogance - and how his experiments frequently caused more harm than good.

One of the key plot threads of the first Ant-Man movie was how Dr. Hank Pym and his daughter, Hope, managed to mend their troubled relationship. Dr. Pym (Michael Douglas) was portrayed as something of an iconoclast in the film's flashbacks, turning on his associates at S.H.I.E.L.D and his business partners at the slightest provocation. Hope Van Dyne (Evangeline Lilly) apparently emulated her father in this regard, pushing him away when she learned of his role in causing her mother's apparent death.

The two reconciled over the course of the movie and found common cause to work together again, discovering evidence that Janet might have survived shrinking into The Quantum Realm. Despite Hank's apparent belief that it was impossible... and searching for her 30 years earlier would have been wasted time.

Related: 20 Things You Completely Missed In Ant-Man & The Wasp

As Ant-Man and The Wasp opens, Hank is still holding a grudge against the new Ant-Man, Scott Lang, whose actions during Captain America: Civil War forced Hank and Hope to go underground. He is forced to tolerate Scott's presence, however, when Scott reveals that his time in The Quantum Realm may have allowed Janet to send a signal allowing Hank and Hope to track her.

Unfortunately, their rescue efforts are cut short thanks to Ghost - a young woman with phasing powers, who needs Dr. Pym's technology to save her life before she fades away into nothing. It's later revealed that Dr. Pym is - no surprise - indirectly responsible for Ghost's condition as well. While the accident that permanently doomed her to quantum torture was ultimately due to an inadequately funded lab, it was the only place Dr. Pym's colleague, Dr. Bill Foster, could continue to work... after he was fired and discredited by his former partner!

This hubris, inspiring further complications to his life, was a hallmark of Dr. Hank Pym's worst decisions and mistakes in Ant-Man comics. Perhaps the most infamous example of this is Ultron: an artificial intelligence developed by Pym, who went on to become one of The Avengers' greatest enemies. Hank was also infamously booted out of The Avengers after he physically struck his wife, Janet, in a moment of great stress.

This shocking event occurred when The Wasp tried to stop him from unleashing anotherkiller robot on The Avengers - one only he knew the secret to defeating - as part of a convoluted plan to prove his worth to the team, in the wake of the threat of being court-martialed.

Since that time, Dr. Hank Pym has held a position of low esteem among his fellow super scientists in the Marvel Universe. One story in Daredevil had Reed Richards from The Fantastic Four seeking out Pym's advice on a problem, but only, he noted, because he didn't have the day necessary to read up on the subject in question to equal Pym's expertise and tackle the job himself. Richards also once asserted that he knew more about Pym Particles than Hank, despite Hank being the one to discover them!

Tony Stark was similarly disrespectful in the pages of Mighty Avengers, taking over a situation which Pym's team was trying to handle. When Hank demanded to know why Iron Man thought he could pull rank on him or what possible reason he had for taking over, Tony summed it up in three words: "You're Hank Pym."

It takes a lot for the likes of Reed Richards or Tony Stark to call someone out for being an arrogant jerk. While this may be a case of people hating in others what they hate most about themselves, they're not wrong about Dr. Hank Pym's behavior, even if they have no room to be pointing fingers. In either case, it's an aspect of Hank Pym's personality which Ant-Man and The Wasp and Michael Douglas did a perfect job of capturing.

Even if things work out better for Hank in the MCU than they did in the comics...

Ant-Man-Hank-Pym-Hitting-Wife.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ant-Man & the Wasp Director Hopes to Revisit Cross Tech Plot Hole
ADVERTISING

Ant-Man & The Wasp director Peyton Reeds talks about revisiting the Ant-Mansubplot involving Mitchell Carson (Martin Donovan) stealing a briefcase containing Pym Particles.

So far, the Marvel subseries has been able to tell a self-contained narrative while still being able to contribute to the overall lore of the MCU. Ant-Man & The Wasp, in particular, is tipped to play an integral part in what goes down in next year's Avengers 4 considering that the sequel further established the Quantum Realm by introducing a brand new way to visit the mysterious place thanks to the invention of Quantum Tunnel. However, it turns out that given the chance, Reed would like to come back and resolve a hanging subplot from the first Ant-Man movie involving Carson.

Related: Ant-Man & the Wasp Deleted Scene Reveals More Of The Quantum Realm

Speaking with CinemaBlend, Reed addressed what seems like an abandoned plot thread and admitted that he really wants to revisit it if he's given the opportunity in the future. And while he didn't give out any indication that it will be fully explored moving forward, he shared that they can easily do that if future Ant-Man narratives call them to do so.

It's certainly something we talked about, because it was this dangling thing from the first movie: there are some Cross Tech particles out there. So we talked for a long time about whether we were going to actively pursue it in this movie, and we eventually sort of felt like, 'I don't feel like we want to double back and deal with that thing if it's not germane to the plot of this movie.' But it's still out there!

We shot a thing for the first Ant-Man that we eventually cut from the movie, which was a Mitchell Carson scene, because originally he got blown up in the Pym Tech implosion, and survived it, and was scarred. And then we had a thing sort of at the end where he was behind a desk at a hotel room or whatever, and a man was coming to take him out. And we actually shot that. And we shot it when poor Martin Donovan had Sciatica. He had serious back issues, so we didn't end up using it.

ADVERTISING

Based on Reed's comments, it sounds like they didn't have anything huge planned for Carson considering that they were supposed to wrap it up in the first film. But if Marvel Studios decides to pivot on their original plans, revisiting the villainous character (who also has ties to S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA's infiltration of the organization) may be a great way to build a bigger story that will highlight the MCU's "it's all connected" tag. Otherwise, given the fact that Carson has a history with Hank and Janet (and even Bill Foster and Ava's father), it may be interesting to see him reunite with his old comrades, especially now that the original Wasp is back (albeit her current status after Avengers: Infinity War).

ADVERTISING
That said, considering that it seems like the next organic step for the franchise is to further dive into the Quantum Realm, as the alternate dimension is expected to be a bigger part of the MCU down the road, a ground-level villain like Carson may feel out of place. Perhaps, he can just be a secondary villain in Ant-Man 3 in order to give Reed and his team the opportunity to finally wrap up his story.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
marvel studios really set the bar higher w/ black panther and infinity war...ant-man and wasp was a very solid flick but it pales in comparison by so much I couldn’t enjoy it as much based on its own merit...repeated a little bit too much of the “formula” that made the first one work and a little bit more ‘jokey’ than it needed to be...the only “oh shit” moment the film has imo was the after credits scene that tied into infinity war

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I enjoyed it for what it was, and actually got a lot of enjoyment out of following the timeline of what was going on in the rest of the world/MCU at the same time as the events of this movie.

Somebody posted a neat graphic of the Marvel timeline of movies, would love to see an updated version.

I saw a timeline consisting of only the end scene credits on YouTube and that was an awesome way to see how it all came together.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Peyton Reed returning to direct third Ant-Man film

Paul Rudd is expected to reprise his role as superhero Scott Lang.
By Clark Collis
November 01, 2019 at 06:15 PM EDT

Filmmaker Peyton Reed will return to the Marvel Cinematic Universe — and presumably the Quantum Realm — to direct Ant-Man 3, EW has learned. Reed previously directed 2015’s Ant-Man, following the departure of Edgar Wright from the project, and 2018’s Ant-Man and the Wasp. Paul Rudd, who starred in both earlier films, is expected to return and reprise the role of criminal-turned-shrinking-superhero Scott Lang.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, which first reported the news, the third Ant-Man movie will shoot at the end of 2020 or the beginning of 2021, for a probable 2022 release. The shoot for Ant-Man 3 will follow those of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness andThor: Love and Thunder.

Reed’s other directing credits include 2000’s Bring It On, 2003’s Down With Love, 2006’s The Break-Up, and 2008’s Yes Man. In addition to Rudd, the Ant-Man movies have also starred Evangeline Lilly, Michael Douglas, Michael Peña, T.I., David Dastmalchian, Judy Greer, and Bobby Cannavale, and Abby Ryder Fortson