Marvel Ant-Man & Wasp Official Movie Discussion Thread Update: Quantumania SPOILER REVIEWS!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
7a56e7e9230c1ab93f88642ece354edb

How long in the making was this week’s exclusive, first-look cover image of Paul Rudd as Ant-Man? Well, that depends how you look at it. While the shrinking, and insect-controlling, hero of Marvel’s Ant-Man (out. July 17) may not be as famous as The Hulk or Thor, he made his comics debut way back in 1962 and a year later co-founded The Avengers with those two aforementioned gents. Back in 2001, the movie’s original director, Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead), and fellow Brit Joe Cornish first wrote a treatment for an Ant-Man movie, which means the project long predates the hugely successful Marvel movie universe ushered in by 2008’s Iron Man. Wright remained enthusiastic about the project down the years, telling EW in 2013, “I’d rather do the film with 2015 effects rather than 2005 effects. So it’s all good.” Then, it wasn’t. In May of 2014, Wright unexpectedly exited the project, prompting a blood pressure-raising search by Marvel for a new director which ultimately led them to Bring It On filmmaker Peyton Reed, the man who ultimately welcomed EW to the Ant-Man set outside Atlanta last fall.
While down in Georgia, we got to see Rudd playing thief-turned superhero Scott Lang alongside costars Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lilly—and got the low-down on the production’s tumultuous history. Which actor said they were “devastated” by Wright’s departure? Which actor threatened to walk if they didn’t like the way the script was headed? And which told a joke about the genitalia of moths? You’ll have to read the magazine to find out—but we can reveal that you’ll also get the lowdown on Corey Stoll’s villainous Darren Cross (a.k.a. Yellowjacket) and what Rudd describes as the film’s “mind-blowing” shrinking sequences.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ant-man-prelude-1-600x911.jpg

ant-man-prelude-2-600x911.jpg

ant-man-prelude-3-600x911.jpg

ant-man-prelude-4-600x911.jpg

ant-man-prelude-5-600x911.jpg

Ant-Man is set for release on July 17th, 2015, and also stars Michael Douglas (Behind The Candelabra) as Dr. Hank Pym, Evangeline Lilly (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug) as Hope Van Dyne, Corey Stoll (House of Cards) as Darren Cross / Yellowjacket, John Slattery (Iron Man 2) as Howard Stark, Hayley Atwell (Captain America: The First Avenger) as Peggy Carter and Bobby Cannavale (The Long Play), Michael Peña (American Hustle), Abby Ryder Fortson (Togetherness), David Dastmalchian (The Dark Knight), Wood Harris (The Wire), Gregg Turkington (The Comedy) and T.I. (American Gangster) in as yet-unrevealed roles.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Why Ant-Man won't be joining the Avengers, as explained by Joss Whedon

77ab25dfe4b0c5487a41e5e77ad6bca3

Hank Pym, aka Ant-Man, may be the canonical creator of Ultron, but he won't be making an appearance in Joss Whedon's The Avengers: Age of Ultron. The reason? Well, it has to do with former Ant-Man director Edgar Wright, according to an interview with Empire.

"Of all the heat I've ever taken, not having Hank Pym was one of the bigger things," Whedon told the publication. "The fact of the matter was, Edgar had him first and by virtue of what Edgar was doing, there was no way for me to use him in this."

In The Avengers, Ultron is instead created by Tony Stark, the brilliant, billionaire playboy who acts as Iron Man in his spare time. Despite Ant-Man's rapidly approaching introduction to the big screen with his own movie, Whedon explained that adding in a third scientist character such as Pym felt "a bridge too far" for the films; Stark and his Hulk pal Bruce Banner are enough already.

"Ultron needs to be the brainchild of the Avengers, and in the world of the Avengers and the MCU, Tony Stark is that guy ... It didn't make sense to introduce a third scientist, a third sciencetician, to do that. It was hard for me, because I grew up on the comics, to dump that, but at the end of the day, it's a more interesting relationship between Tony and Ultron if Tony was once like, ‘You know what would be a really great idea?' They're doing what they always do — which is jump in headfirst, and then go, ‘Sorry, world!' But you have to make it their responsibility without just making it their fault."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
One Big Change Marvel Made To Ant-Man During Reshoots

When Marvel released the first Ant-Man synopsis last year, it labeled protagonist Scott Lang as a con-man. However, an updated version from January listed him as a "master thief." This doesn’t seem like much of a distinction, but it’s very possible that it’s a subject that’s been debated about behind-the-scenes. As is common for many major blockbusters, Ant-Man recently underwent reshoots, and now new reports are saying that one big change the Paul Rudd character is undergoing actually restores some of the criminal material Edgar Wright originally wrote him.

A reporter from Latino-Review has posted on his Instagram that one of the changes that’s been made during the Ant-Man reshoots is making Scott Lang a straight-up criminal again, and in the process restoring a plot element from Wright’s draft that Marvel originally wanted cut. Badass Digest also mentions that the critically lauded Guardians of the Galaxy changed Marvel’s opinion of how to address Scott’s "roguishness." The alien adventure showed that having rogues as the leads won’t hurt how audiences react to the film. So, instead of the MCU’s Lang being a morally dubious con-man, Marvel is apparently now comfortable with him starting out as a more straight-up criminal before he becomes Marvel’s most famouys shrinking hero. This possibly means that we will see a scene of Scott at the beginning of the story breaking into a building or attempting to rob a bank before the big events of Ant-Man unfold.

Keeping Scott as a thief is more in line with his background from the comic books. In fact, his superhero career kicked off when he broke into Dr. Hank Pym’s lab to steal the Ant-Man suit so he could rescue the only doctor able to help his sick daughter. Honestly, the evolution from criminal to superhero makes for a better story overall rather than having him be a guy who discreetly rips people off. Now he has to change his entire way of life so he can overcome the odds and be the hero that serves the greater good. It’s the best kind of redemption story. Even though he’s no longer involved with the project, Wright must be at least a little satisfied that one important aspect of the movie will now mirror what he originally had planned.

Whether he’s a con-man or a thief, Scott Lang will try to find redemption when he meets Michael Douglas’ Hank Pym and becomes the new Ant-Man. Together, with the help of Pym’s daughter, Hope Van Dyne, they’ll take on antagonist Darren Cross, a.k.a. Yellowjacket, and pull off one of the world’s greatest heists.

Ant-Man will be released in theaters on July 17th.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/One-Big-Change-Marvel-Made-Ant-Man-During-Reshoots-70457.html

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
smp-ant-man_612x380.jpg

They say a film is only as good as its villain, but maybe they should change that to a villain and his suit. In Marvel’s Ant-Man, Paul Rudd plays jailbird-turned-superhero Scott Lang, who has the power to shrink himself and control his six-legged namesakes, thanks to gear designed by inventor Hank Pym (Michael Douglas). But Lang’s armor is positively pacifist compared with the more advanced suit worn by the nefarious Darren Cross, a.k.a. Yellowjacket (Corey Stoll). “Hank Pym’s Ant-Man suit doesn’t have a single weapon,” says director Peyton Reed (Yes Man), “whereas Yellowjacket is armed with plasma cannons.”

That would make the first big showdown between the foes, pictured here, a decided mismatch, right? Maybe not. “Ant-Man is very fast when he’s small,” he says. “Also, when he shrinks, he increases his density, so he’s got increased strength.” (Not to mention that ant-whispering power, which plays a crucial role in Lang’s attempt to steal Yellowjacket’s garb.)

To film this encounter, the costars wore motion-capture suits and were shot separately. “It was a new experience as far as the motion-capture-suit-ness of it,” says Rudd, who is better known on screen for cracking wise than cracking heads. “But none of it feels that different. Every part, I’m pretending to be somebody I’m not. It’s all just a big lie!”

Speaking of untruths, Reed insists Internet reports that he recently reshot some of the film are just that. “I love turning on the computer in the morning and reading the things that I did the day before—that I didn’t do!” he says. “We are going to do a little bit of additional photography, but we have not done any yet. It’s minor stuff.” To sum up: Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill. Or an anthill.

TeEdIzZeL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I dont follow comic books but i remember seeing in the avenger cartoon, ant-man not only shrunk down but doesnt he have the ability to grow into a giant too? If so, I didnt see any of that in these movie trailers. Is that something he develops later down the line or something?

synyster

Homegrown Sensei
BGOL Investor
I dont follow comic books but i remember seeing in the avenger cartoon, ant-man not only shrunk down but doesnt he have the ability to grow into a giant too? If so, I didnt see any of that in these movie trailers. Is that something he develops later down the line or something?

They do come later...

"Pym goes on to assume other superhero identities, including the size-changing Giant-Man and Goliath; the insect-themed Yellowjacket; and briefly the Wasp.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
As much as I can't stand those little fuckers,

You can't have "ANT-MAN" without ANTS!
That's one microscopic world I want to see done.
And can't wait to see on the big screen.

FINALLY!!!
YAY ANTS!

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
As much as I can't stand those little fuckers,

You can't have "ANT-MAN" without ANTS!
That's one microscopic world I want to see done.
And can't wait to see on the big screen.

FINALLY!!!
YAY ANTS!
Why do I think you gonna spend half the movie hiding under your seat.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
I have a feeling the little yellow Ant will be his side-kick and comedy foil throughout the movie.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Why do I think you gonna spend half the movie hiding under your seat.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Nah.

I'm cool with it. I don't get as grossed out as I used to. With so much construction in my neighborhood these days, I've been seeing a few here and there in my building's laundromat.
:D:D:D

J Storm

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For those who dont know - The story of Hank slapping the shit out of Janet has been retconned. Come to find out it was really a Skrull impersonating Hank all these years. The real Hank, along with other Marvel heroes were abducted years ago.

Secret Invasion should be the premise for Phase 4-6

J Storm

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is gonna be this years Guardians of the Galaxy.

Marvel seems to be doing well with the 1 SERIOUS FILM and 1 FUNNY FILM a year Gimmick.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
For those who dont know - The story of Hank slapping the shit out of Janet has been retconned. Come to find out it was really a Skrull impersonating Hank all these years. The real Hank, along with other Marvel heroes were abducted years ago.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
I'm surprised nobody isn't talking about Ant Man...Even,Guardians of the Galaxy had people talking about it,before the movie came out..

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
i don't think this is gonna be a billion dollar movie.. i mean i'm hyped but some ppl know that aren't comic fans said they gonna sit this movie out

bborn

Rising Star
Registered
peace

So you're telling me all that inner fugue personality disorder shit that led to

"Pym goes on to assume other superhero identities, including the size-changing Giant-Man and Goliath; the insect-themed Yellowjacket; and briefly the Wasp.
plus him just being generally caustic & a dick towards his wife was/is now all done by the Skrull?
:hmm:
Wow :dunno::lol:
Fuck it, blame the alien decades later.