Marvel Ant-Man & Wasp Official Movie Discussion Thread Update: Quantumania SPOILER REVIEWS!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ff0UCGOWQAMEpkL

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

How Jonathan Majors' Kang in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania differs from Loki's He Who Remains

Director Peyton Reed teases the distinctions between the two variants in a new interview.
By Christian HolubNovember 21, 2022 at 11:49 AM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
FBTweetMore

00:00
05:48

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023 Movie)
TYPE
  • Movie
GENRE
Since Avengers: Endgame, a question has hung over the Marvel Cinematic Universe: Who will succeed Thanos as the franchise's overarching supervillain? All signs point to it being Jonathan Majors' Kang the Conqueror, a character whose place in the MCU still remains unclear.
Studious fans have already seen Majors' Kang in the season 1 finale of Loki. He recently appeared again in the trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, in which he will reportedly play a large role. But don't be fooled: The Kang in Quantumania is different from the Kang in Loki (where he was known as He Who Remains). Variants, remember?

"Kang The Conqueror in our movie is a very different character," Quantumania director Peyton Reed told Empire in a new interview. "He's someone who has dominion over time, and he's a warrior and a strategist." Contrast this with Loki's depiction of Kang as a motormouthed charmer.
Kang the Conqueror (Jonathan Majors) in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania' is different than He Who Remains in 'Loki.'

| CREDIT: MARVEL STUDIOS; CHUCK ZLOTNICK/MARVEL STUDIOS
Well, if Kang's such a big deal, then why is he pitted against Marvel's most diminutive superhero — Paul Rudd's Scott Lang, a.k.a. Ant-Man? Good question!
"That's interesting to me: to take the tiniest, and in some people's minds weakest, Avenger, and put them up against this absolute force of nature," Reed said.
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is set to hit theaters on Feb. 17, 2023 as the first film of the MCU's Phase Five. Disney also has Avengers: The Kang Dynasty slated for 2025. Jeff Loveness, who penned the Quantumania screenplay, is also writing that script, so expect lots of connective tissue between the two films.

Kang isn't the only character who will seem different in Quantumania. Scott's daughter Cassie Lang will now be played by Kathryn Newton, after previously being portrayed by Abby Ryder Fortson and Emma Fuhrmann. They grow up so fast!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Kang’s Arrival In Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania Has ‘A Profound Impact On The MCU’ – Exclusive Image

By Ben Travis |
Posted On21 11 2022
People:
Kathryn Newton
Jonathan Majors
Michael Douglas
Paul Rudd
Michelle Pfeiffer
Peyton Reed
Evangeline Lilly
Strap in, everybody: Kang is coming. Ever since Jonathan Majors appeared in Loki's finale, the MCU has heralded the arrival of Kang The Conqueror – a maniacal, multiversal villain whose every variant is more nefarious than the last. The best of the bunch was Majors’ He Who Remains, as seen in Loki – and there, he warned that many troublemaking versions of himself from across different dimensions are about to wreak havoc on Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. First up, he’s about to make himself known in Peyton Reed’s threequel, Ant-Man And The Wasp: Quantumania.
While 2018’s Ant-Man And The Wasp was a palette cleanser, a chance for the audience to draw breath after the shock cliffhanger of Avengers: Infinity War, Quantumania is a different kind of Ant-Man movie – and the arrival proper of Kang is set to have major reverberations that will ripple into 2025’s Avengers: The Kang Dynasty. “I think it has a profound impact on the MCU,” Reed tells Empire in the upcoming world-exclusive Indiana Jones 5 issue. “Jeff Loveness, who wrote this movie, is writing The Kang Dynasty as well, so there’s been a lot of discussion about the impact that this appearance of Kang The Conqueror makes. There are big things in store.”

For audiences, it’ll be a chance to see a different flavour of what Majors can bring to Kang’s alternate selves. Don’t expect a retread of He Who Remains’ daffy, knockabout energy. “Kang The Conqueror in our movie is a very different character,” the director teases. “He’s someone who has dominion over time, and he’s a warrior and a strategist.” Given that Ant-Man’s previous villains have been lower-level threats like Yellowjacket and Ghost (plus, lest we forget, Walton Goggins’ Sonny Burch), this was an opportunity to have him face, as Reed calls it, “an all-timer antagonist” – our diminutive hero is facing a villain as huge as they come. “That’s interesting to me: to take the tiniest, and in some people’s minds weakest, Avenger, and put them up against this absolute force of nature.” Something tells us it won’t be a Quantumania of solace for poor Scott Lang.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania director promises an epic: 'I don't want to be the palate cleanser anymore'

Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly's superheroes face off against Jonathan Majors' dreaded Kang the Conqueror in the upcoming MCU entry.
By Clark CollisDecember 16, 2022 at 09:00 AM EST

Peyton Reed, director of Ant-Man and Ant-Man and the Wasp, is aware that there are those who think the adventures of Paul Rudd's tiny superhero don't have the dramatic weight of some other superhero tales. It is an opinion he hopes to change with his trilogy-ending Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (out Feb. 17), which kicks off Phase 5 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
"People felt like, Oh, these are fun little palate cleansers after a gigantic Avengers movie," says Reed, 58. "For this third one, I said, 'I don't want to be the palate cleanser anymore. I want to be the big Avengers movie.'"
Did the filmmaker kick in Marvel supremo Kevin Feige's door when he made this announcement?
"I did," he deadpans. "I metaphorically kicked in Kevin Feige's door."

Kathryn Newton and Paul Rudd in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania'

| CREDIT: JAY MAIDMENT/MARVEL
Peyton's second sequel once again stars Rudd as the small but mighty Scott Lang, Evangeline Lilly as Hope van Dyne, Michelle Pfeiffer as Janet van Dyne, and Michael Douglas as Hank Pym. Kathryn Newton (Freaky) takes over the role of Cassie Lang, who has become an adult in her father Scott's absence, thanks to Thanos-related events detailed in the last two Avengers movies, 2018's Infinity War and 2019's Endgame.
"One of the single most intriguing things that I was excited to do in this movie was progress the Scott-Cassie relationship," says Peyton. "It's been central to all the Ant-Man movies, the big difference here being that, as a result of Endgame, Cassie is now a young woman. She has become a scientific mind in her own right. She's been going through Hank Pym's old journals and notebooks, and has really latched on to this idea of quantum science and quantum technology."

It is thanks to Cassie that our heroes spend much of the film in the Quantum Realm, the microscopic and mind-meltingly weird universe from which Pfeiffer's character was rescued in 2018's Ant-Man and the Wasp.
"In the first one, we introduced the idea of the Quantum Realm, we kind of dipped our toe into it, and then even more so in the second one," Reed says. "But we obviously left a lot of unanswered questions. We wanted to go in a different direction, and create an epic movie where the bulk of it takes place in the Quantum Realm. For me, it was really exciting, because the other two films take place in San Francisco, and this one, we were creating this incredibly complex subatomic world, and all the environments and ecosystems and creatures and beings that inhabit that world."
Paul Rudd and Jonathan Majors in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp" Quantumania'

| CREDIT: JAY MAIDMENT/MARVEL STUDIOS
The film's villain is Kang the Conqueror, one of the most infamous baddies in the Marvel universe.
"I grew up a real Marvel comics nerd, and there are a handful of antagonists in the Marvel comics universe who are all-timers," says Reed. "Loki, obviously. Doctor Doom from the Fantastic Four. And Kang the Conqueror. In conversations with Kevin Feige and Marvel, it was like, I want to put Ant-Man and Wasp up against a really formidable villain in this movie, and so we're doing Kang the Conqueror. In the comics, Kang has dominion over time, he's a time traveler. His situation is a little bit different in this movie, which I won't spoil for you, but he's someone who, [while] we live very linear lives, from childhood to death, Kang doesn't exist that way. It struck me as interesting to take the tiniest Avengers — in some people's minds maybe the least powerful Avengers — and put them up against the most powerful force in the multiverse."
Kang is played by Jonathan Majors, whose credits include Spike Lee's 2020 film Da 5 Bloods, the HBO show Lovecraft Country, and the recent Korean War movie Devotion. Majors played a "variant" of the Kang character, known as "He Who Remains," in season 1 of the Marvel TV show Loki.
"The first thing that was pitched to me was, he's a villain, and I went, Hmm," says Majors, 33. "And they were like, he's a supervillain, and I went, Hmm, I'm into that. But why was I into that? Because [of] classical texts. I mean, I do want to play Othello, but, in Othello, you've always got to be careful about Iago, because Iago, that guy, that's the most complex character. There's very little he won't do."
The film's cast also includes Bill Murray in an as-yet-unnamed role.
"Bill Murray plays a character from Janet van Dyne's past," says Reed. "It's a crucial role. A big theme in this movie is the things that parents and kids don't say to each other, the secrets that they keep in families. In the last movie, when Hank and Hope rescue Janet, Evangeline Lilly's character had this idea of: Oh, I'm going to be reunited with my mom, this is going to be great, we're going to talk about everything. But what happens if the other person, in this case Janet, puts up a wall and maybe is not comfortable talking about certain things and doesn't reveal certain things about her past? As we know from great stories, you can put the past behind you, but the past will always find a way to show up again. Bill's character represents that in this movie."
Paul Rudd in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania'

| CREDIT: MARVEL STUDIOS
Majors' villain will also feature in Avengers: The Kang Dynasty, which is set for a May 2025 release and, like Quantumania, is being written by Jeff Loveness (Rick and Morty).
"I know I'm in the Kang movie, but I don't know how the two relate," says Majors. "I'm sure there's some correlation because there's a Kang in that one."
They can't get rid of you now!
"I don't think so, but you'd be surprised," says the actor. "They can do whatever the f--- they want to do, really. I'd like to stick around a little longer."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Rumor is Blue Marvel and Nova will be introduced or be teased in "The Marvels"....

Swap out the America chick with Ms. Marvel and Black Panther with Nova and...

The Ultimates = The Marvels

standard_incredible.jpg

Really enjoyed this comic

And I'm not a huge fan intergalactic stuff