Lovecraft Country - HBO series Official Thread - Premieres August

lengthy

Rising Star
OG Investor
No doubt. That is a good idea because people can get lost or try to tune-in and not understand what’s go on.

Like Talking Dead.... This is a whole new world of opportunity for shows of this type. Chris Hartwick caked up on Walking Dead with Talking Dead. Those more expensive than podcasts tho. Maybe there is a new type of podcast format that fits I dont know

The only black man left is a fag, smh

:smh: What they trying to tell us? :smh:

Also, now that the show is over, its confirmed that the drag club scene didnt play a real role other than to glorify that shit and push Montrose deeper down Fag Lane.

Looking forward to a creative season 2. We missed out on Rubys treasure chest but theres still hope for Leti

Mr. Lengthy

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
As I've told other folks on here and elsewhere,
Once some of you read the book,
You will realize that it's TV adaption was nothing more than Misha Green fulfilling her (and Hollywood's) agenda of how THEY want Black Men to be seen.

In The Background
And Gay.

I wouldn't have had problems with the latter if it wasn't so obviously forced.
Because Montrose was not even Gay in the book.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
by all accounts looks like the season finale and overall season were a success for HBO
HBO is still standard barer for premium tv and its great that shows like this, Watchmen and to a lesser degree Insecure have demonstrated that high end quality shows starring black ppl and created by black ppl can be successful

Misha Green’s “Lovecraft Country” hit series high ratings with its finale on Sunday. The socially minded sci-fi horror fantasy pulled in a series high of 1.5 million viewers, up 16% from the series debut in telecast numbers and up 90% on the digital side.

On HBO Max, more subscribers viewed the finale in its first day of availability than any other new episode of an original series on the streaming platform to date. The series has also taken the No. 1 spot on HBO Max when it comes to original series with the first episode currently approaching ten million viewers.

On social media numbers are also highly impressive. Ranked on total organic interactions, “Lovecraft Country” is the No, 1 most talked-about primetime drama series program across all of TV year-to-date (excluding series with under five episodes) and the No. 2 most talked-about primetime scripted series across all of TV year-to-date, behind only HBO’s “Insecure”.

The series hasn’t yet been renewed for a second season, but HBO will air the behind-the-scenes look “Crafting Lovecraft Country” on October 26th which features exclusive interviews with showrunner and executive producer Green, along with cast and crew.

vertigo

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Now that the dust has kinda settled there are two things that I still cant figure out

1. why did the kumiho trick work?
2. how did leti come back to life? was she even dead?

These 2 events turned the tide on Christina but how the hell did they work?

Mr. Lengthy

many folks have answered your second question, let me take a stab at your first one.

Tic and Leti knew that for their spell to work, they needed a physical connection to both Titus Braithwaite and to Christina.

That's why he summoned Titus- and with the help of the Ancestors- was able to cut a piece of his flesh- you saw him eat that later in the woods.

that potion he drank was supposed to have Christina's hair and nails in it, providing a physical connection to her, but it wasn't real.

Christina had peeped out Ruby's game, killed her, took her form and gave a Leti "dummy" potion. Remember when ruby was looking at that little vial in the basement- it was about 1/10th full, but when "Ruby" showed up right before they left for Ardham, that vial was full. That was Christina. All that singing in the car? That was Christina, not Ruby. :angry:

So, at the end, when the spell wasn't working, (that's why Christina was so cocky about it) Ji-Ah used two of her 9 fox tails, she "merged with the darkness" and provided the physical connection (via the darkness) between Tic and Christina for the spell to work.

at least that's the way I interpreted it.

lengthy

Rising Star
OG Investor
many folks have answered your second question, let me take a stab at your first one.

Tic and Leti knew that for their spell to work, they needed a physical connection to both Titus Braithwaite and to Christina.

That's why he summoned Titus- and with the help of the Ancestors- was able to cut a piece of his flesh- you saw him eat that later in the woods.

that potion he drank was supposed to have Christina's hair and nails in it, providing a physical connection to her, but it wasn't real.

Christina had peeped out Ruby's game, killed her, took her form and gave a Leti "dummy" potion. Remember when ruby was looking at that little vial in the basement- it was about 1/10th full, but when "Ruby" showed up right before they left for Ardham, that vial was full. That was Christina. All that singing in the car? That was Christina, not Ruby. :angry:

So, at the end, when the spell wasn't working, (that's why Christina was so cocky about it) Ji-Ah used two of her 9 fox tails, she "merged with the darkness" and provided the physical connection (via the darkness) between Tic and Christina for the spell to work.

ooohhhh so kumiho created the physical connection - that makes more sense. i'll be rewatching on the weekend. much appreciated bruh!

Mr. Lengthy

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Now that the dust has kinda settled there are two things that I still cant figure out

1. why did the kumiho trick work?
2. how did leti come back to life? was she even dead?

These 2 events turned the tide on Christina but how the hell did they work?

Mr. Lengthy

1) Ji-Ah merged with the spell (the darkness tornado) & then used her "tails" to connect both Tic & Christina to it (actually, she bound them both. Notice afterwards, Christina says, "You bound me from magic".) With Tic already having Titus' as part of him (literally, as in eating his flesh (which enhances the magic, which is why they were eating Samuel's liver earlier in the show) & figuratively, as in a descendant of the Braithwaites), the spell was then completed by Leti.

Magic now flows from Leti's bloodline, which include Baby George.

2) If you watch ji-Ah's viewing of the lives of Tic & Christina, you'll see a few things that answer a few questions. One of those is that Christina (in a Ruby shell) put the Mark of Cain back on Leti after her fall. Remember, the mark not only makes you invulnerable, but it heals as well. A little bit of time & Leti was back & right as rain.

You notice that after Leti shanked her with the ceremonial sword, she didn't immediately cut her head off...she pulled it out & laughed.

Last edited:

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Like Talking Dead.... This is a whole new world of opportunity for shows of this type. Chris Hartwick caked up on Walking Dead with Talking Dead. Those more expensive than podcasts tho. Maybe there is a new type of podcast format that fits I dont know

:smh: What they trying to tell us? :smh:

Also, now that the show is over, its confirmed that the drag club scene didnt play a real role other than to glorify that shit and push Montrose deeper down Fag Lane.

Looking forward to a creative season 2. We missed out on Rubys treasure chest but theres still hope for Leti

Mr. Lengthy

Actually, it actually was an important piece of the story of Montrose Freeman.

It basically used the gay ballroom scene to make Montrose open up. He finally has that freedom he's been longing for all his life. It wasn't really clear until we saw the Tulsa episode, but Montrose basically built a shell to defend himself. He was still that scared little boy whose father tanned his hide constantly & saw his first gay love get shot dead in front of him all along, lying to himself, pretending to be a hetero man with a family, cause "that's what men do. They have families. They have sons."

Due to this character development, he stopped being guarded & started being more open about things with the Freeman legacy & magic.

It also served as a backstory to the oppression of gay black men & women back then. Every episode focuses on a tramautic moment in black history & how we overcame it.

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
Actually, it actually was an important piece of the story of Montrose Freeman.

It basically used the gay ballroom scene to make Montrose open up. He finally has that freedom he's been longing for all his life. It wasn't really clear until we saw the Tulsa episode, but Montrose basically built a shell to defend himself. He was still that scared little boy whose father tanned his hide constantly & saw his first gay love get shot dead in front of him all along, lying to himself, pretending to be a hetero man with a family, cause "that's what men do. They have families. They have sons."

Due to this character development, he stopped being guarded & started being more open about things with the Freeman legacy & magic.

It also served as a backstory to the oppression of gay black men & women back then. Every episode focuses on a tramautic moment in black history & how we overcame it.
:lol:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member

just finished up the season. Last scene was interesting.

for any GoT heads - this moment here seemed like a shot at the Thrones finale - and the sci-fi/horror/fantasy culture in general.

Christina stands in for Dany. Shoggoth for Drogon. Dee/Leti both for Jon

I saw it as a kind of clap back.

Something like—
“get the fuck off our dicks white writers/fans of fantasy. First of all we’re nobody’s magical negro - never have/never will. Matter fact - fuck it, we taking magic from y’all entirely :lol:

And btw fuck next - we got NOW. ‘You said we had HOW many viewers?’ #BLM *drops mic*”
:lol2:

Soul On Ice

Democrat 1st!
Certified Pussy Poster
this season was cool i guess. Some great episodes. Some not so great, mixed in with some aight epidsodes.

I give it a 7/10

maybe i'll appreciate a 2nd watch-through, but I really dont have the time nor desire to at this time.

PJN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I need to rewatch the last episode.

John Million

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
great show. i don't ever remember something as innovative as this show starring, directed and produced by black people.
I hope we get more but I'm not sure the path to it. The directors says there is one, so I would love to see more.
lots of occult meanings, historical references, and multi-layered art.
i figured most wouldn't get it but i'm glad it seems to be resonating with viewers.
the pickaninny scenes chasing Dee was amazing choreography
the special effects, the set design and cinematography were top notch as well.
they knocked it out the box with this and are well deserving of another season

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Dark08

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Show was on point... and I appreciated it all the way through...this whole adventure has been great. Good to see so many genres captured here and yeah we do sell Trauma and there is a lot of it when it comes to us.

Now for all this talk of season 2... Yeah it's possible but should it even happen. I'm unfamiliar with the actual book if this was based on just one book was there another one? If not then I don't know if they should do a season two on their own.

Regardless of a TV showing veering away from the source material. Don't underestimate the power of the source material. Like I hear people on board saying stuff like we know HBO isn't afraid of killing main characters in their shows and reference game of thrones. That has less to do with the show it happened in the book and they stuck to it.

Now on the to the power of underlying material. Martin (Game of Thrones author) gave the show runners the arc of the story because when the show came out the series wasn't finish. Initially the first 4 books were out and a 5th book came out while the series was on. The show really got a lot weaker after it past the point in the books and when you are dealing with good underlying source material I think shows are more likely to fall off when they loose the source material.

So if there wasn't another book I don't know if they should do a season 2. Plus they seemed to wrap a lot up in this final. I might be done.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not officially confirmed... But rumor has it according to Deadline...

images