LL Cool J goes in on DJ Akademiks for calling pioneers broke and dusty

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No no no. Again, y'all people are so simple minded.

I posted his lyrics from 1987 to show the board how LL Cool J has changed in his line of thinking and to show that AK is in his "1987".

I PURPOSEFULLY included the year. I didn't have to write that if I was trying to denigrate LL.

My first post acknowledged how much LL changed and how I agree with his points.

You can't see that though. So I will ignore all that bullshit you wrote in the below. SMH.

So many brothers were never blessed with 30 years to mature and grow. You quoting bars from 87 to try and denigrate a point made in 2022, you hoarded poor feelings for a stranger because he wasn't friendly in one of the worst airports in the country 3 decades ago. You need to have a by yourself meeting and get some critical answers as to how much growth and development you're making in your life over the last 24 hours-24 years. At your big age you shouldn't still be salty about someone not wanting to sign your discman in the airport.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
On 1 hand, Akademiks is up there with Vlad and Adam22 as some of the worst culture vultures in hip hop. On another hand, this is on the pioneers as well for not gatekeeping along with the ones that sold out to corporate interests

Without that corporate interest all your shows are at community centers or local parks and all of your records are sold out of the back of your car.

So now you're out there keeping it real making a little money here and there but MC Joe blow from down the block just signed a deal with Adidas. Now he's playing big shows all across the Eastern seaboard and his new record is all across the country.

What can you really do about it? You can call him out. You might even turn the whole neighborhood against him, but how much does that matter when this dude just sold out a show in Hartford? Try to battle him? All he has to say is no. Boycott adidas? Good luck!

The only reason LL Cool J even has a platform at all is because corporate interests saw what he was doing in those music videos and decided to give him a supporting role in a Michael J Fox movie. Without that role and the acting career that followed few under the age of 40 would even know who LL Cool J is!

Said it before and I'll say it again. Corporate interests may have tainted hip hop, but without them hip hop wouldn't even exist! Rap would have been a short lived trend that eventually went the way of dubstep.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
DJ Akadeiks is Caribbean and the pioneers are ados. Go figure. If they were talking Kool Herc or Africa Bambataa there wouldn’t be any disrespect.

Hip hop started in one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse places in the entire country. The idea that all or even most of the pioneers were ADOS is laughable.

Just off the top of my head I know that Kool Herc's people are from Jamaica, Krs-one's people are from Trinidad and Slick Rick's folks are from the UK. Don't know everybody else's background, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same.

Don't even get me started on Shock G or the Beastie Boys

Temujin

Rising Star
Registered
Dj akademics is goofy. So Akademics is perfect for the fat nerd goofy who wants to feel connected to hip hop but not actually leave his apartment. So no old heads don't respect him nobody real respects him. people tolerate him because he has power because he has a following. But his appeal is his goofiness. He's king goofy. He really ain't got shit to do with hip hop and it's really wack that people even listen to his fat faced opinion. It's really amazing that someone that goofy would fix his face to say half the shit he says but the safety of the internet wins again.

Heavenlywings77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What does being a foreigner have to do with anything? That is his personal opinion and he is commenting on a music that his country created.
So he aint foreign to rap music. It was created by his people.

It has alot to do with it, foreigners weren't really here for the humble beginnings of hip hop. A few were instrumental in it's birth, but not enmasse.. So it's never really surprising when they spit wildly inaccurate and super salacious lies about the art form.

Turn the tables, Akademiks is a first generation Jamaican American. If I were to tell him that Bob Markey really wasn't influential due to him not having been a billionaire, he'd be well within his rights to tell me to stop.

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
Hip hop started in one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse places in the entire country. The idea that all or even most of the pioneers were ADOS is laughable.

Just off the top of my head I know that Kool Herc's people are from Jamaica, Krs-one's people are from Trinidad and Slick Rick's folks are from the UK. Don't know everybody else's background, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same.

Okay explain how these other cultures created hip hop. There are black Americans rapping on video from the 1940s. Graffiti began with a black American. There are videos of black Americans breakdancing in the 1930s.

So how have these other cultures created any portion of hip hop? Give me examples.

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor

Where is Shock G from?

PDQ21

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No no no. Again, y'all people are so simple minded.

I posted his lyrics from 1987 to show the board how LL Cool J has changed in his line of thinking and to show that AK is in his "1987".

I PURPOSEFULLY included the year. I didn't have to write that if I was trying to denigrate LL.

My first post acknowledged how much LL changed and how I agree with his points.

You can't see that though. So I will ignore all that bullshit you wrote in the below. SMH.
LL was like 18 and thats rap lyrics

Ak is a grown man that's his real opinion and to be real he's telling the truth

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
Okay explain how these other cultures created hip hop. There are black Americans rapping on video from the 1940s. Graffiti began with a black American. There are videos of black Americans breakdancing in the 1930s.

So how have these other cultures created any portion of hip hop? Give me examples.
rapping is a part of hip-hop

Nobody called rap "hip-hop" in the 1940's

Breakdancing in the 1930's was called swing dancing, not breakdancing.

And yes, these individual art forms were originated by ados (as far as we know), but at the formation of what we now call hip-hip, Blacks, Non-Ados Blacks, Hispanics & Whites were they from the beginning of hip-hop.

Look, I know you're on that Tariq wave, and I understand why. There are some foreign Blacks that come here and don't align themselves with us and they talk down on us. They don't acknowledge the fight our ancestors put up to make it even possible for them to be here now. And we call them coons.

Meanwhile, we have homegrown ados coons that will sell you up the river just the same. We also have non-ados Blacks that come here and DO align themselves with Black Americans. They understand the structure and actions of systemic racism.

But hip-hop CLEARLY included more than just ados, and we didn't divide ourselves along the lines of ados vs. non. That's some NEW SHIT. And if you really wanna know who's behind the shit, look no further than the white supremacists hiding in plain sight. Because THOSE are the people who have the power to allow people in and out of this country. They are the ones putting in foreigners ears to exploit and stay separate from ADOS. And they help them do it. You can't forget that.

And why the separation??

Slaves were sent wherever white people wanted them to go. A mother might have been shipped to Brazil while her children might have been shipped to Virginia. A father might have been sent to Haiti while his wife might have been sent to Mississippi. A brother might have stayed a slave in The Congo while his sister might have been sent to Colombia.

White supremacists got us in this predicament bro. See the bigger picture.

Last edited:

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Without that corporate interest all your shows are at community centers or local parks and all of your records are sold out of the back of your car.

So now you're out there keeping it real making a little money here and there but MC Joe blow from down the block just signed a deal with Adidas. Now he's playing big shows all across the Eastern seaboard and his new record is all across the country.

What can you really do about it? You can call him out. You might even turn the whole neighborhood against him, but how much does that matter when this dude just sold out a show in Hartford? Try to battle him? All he has to say is no. Boycott adidas? Good luck!

The only reason LL Cool J even has a platform at all is because corporate interests saw what he was doing in those music videos and decided to give him a supporting role in a Michael J Fox movie. Without that role and the acting career that followed few under the age of 40 would even know who LL Cool J is!

Said it before and I'll say it again. Corporate interests may have tainted hip hop, but without them hip hop wouldn't even exist! Rap would have been a short lived trend that eventually went the way of dubstep.
Interesting perspective

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member

Actually they are all Jamaican.

To add... 2 live crew Daddy Jamaican ..... maya father jamaican.... B.I.G momma jamaican.... Alicia Keys momma Jamaican ... Will I. Am parents Jamaican.. etc etc etc

Last edited:

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member
It has alot to do with it, foreigners weren't really here for the humble beginnings of hip hop. A few were instrumental in it's birth, but not enmasse.. So it's never really surprising when they spit wildly inaccurate and super salacious lies about the art form.

Turn the tables, Akademiks is a first generation Jamaican American. If I were to tell him that Bob Markey really wasn't influential due to him not having been a billionaire, he'd be well within his rights to tell me to stop.

Simply false.

tpotda

Rising Star
Registered
If everyone stayed indie it woulda been the only way to gatekeep, also would've needed all the fans to stay on code and only support indie, of course what I'm saying is unrealistic since we can't even get most ppl to support small businesses over big corporations on their consumer purchases

Da Backshot Champ

Rising Star
Registered

Stop it! As a late 40s Harlem native I can definitely say hip-hop started as an "ADOS" thing. If Herc was so Jamaican, why did he play disco at all and not only reggae? If Krs is from Trinidad, why not make Soca? Funny thing, you ask Slick Rick where is from he will say Edenwald PJs, not London. I'm surprised you didn't mention Biggie, lol!

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Dj akademics is goofy. So Akademics is perfect for the fat nerd goofy who wants to feel connected to hip hop but not actually leave his apartment. So no old heads don't respect him nobody real respects him. people tolerate him because he has power because he has a following. But his appeal is his goofiness. He's king goofy. He really ain't got shit to do with hip hop and it's really wack that people even listen to his fat faced opinion. It's really amazing that someone that goofy would fix his face to say half the shit he says but the safety of the internet wins again.

All of this. Who is this clown?

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oky6zoe.jpg

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If dis nigga don’t fucking talk…
Hearing him breathe for the first few seconds made me wanna chop his throat​

He's definitely the old man with technology! 6min video and the first 3 is him looking at his phone wondering if it's recording or not. If his phone was a VCR it would be flashing 12:00

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You assuming a whole lot.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
If everyone stayed indie it woulda been the only way to gatekeep, also would've needed all the fans to stay on code and only support indie, of course what I'm saying is unrealistic since we can't even get most ppl to support small businesses over big corporations on their consumer purchases

Has a small business owner it's my opinion that nobody should patronize a small business unless their products, service, and prices are better than their corporate competitors. I know that mine are and so do my customers.

But I digress.

The biggest problem with getting everybody to jump on the indy-only train is that corporations often sign rappers that are, for a lack of a better word, fucking phenomenal musicians who disrupt the culture of the entire planet.

Indy-only is an easy standard to hold when the corporate influence makes an artist's music wack, but often it's still solid. Sometimes it's even better.

Besides, why should a man in his mid 50s be the GateKeeper for a youth culture? For that matter, why should anybody?

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
indy route is tough because distribution is the bitch.